I Can't, I'm Not Wearing a Princess Dress! - New TR link!!!!

I've not been a good trip reporter. Taking hardly any pictures. Its been extremely busy and stressful not only taking care of 3 kids this time instead of 2 but I habe been put in charge of basically laying tour guide for our whole group and it sometimes feels like herding squirrels.
I've heard of herding cats. Herding squirrels....hmmm...that could be worse because those evil buggers try to steal my pecans and my neighbors corn. Vial little creatures.

Ok... here's a picture. Kids are asleep. I wanted a sundae in MK before fireworks. Line was wrapped around the building and I didn't want to miss the show so I settled for a mickey bar and my first ever zebra domes. Can't complain too much...

Zebra domes for the win!!!

I highly recommend the touringplans room request fax tool. This was taken from my balcony just a few minutes ago. Hard to tell in the picture but there is a giraffe there.

Gotta say I might have some thoughts on this trip that don't really line up with the Disney community. I love AKL, but I can't say that I'd scramble to come back here (at least not at this point). Transportation has frankly been worse than I ever imagined. I know it us far from everything but I really expected better bus service to help make up for the 20-25 minute drives. We've tended to mostly drive to the parks on recent trips but as far as taking the bus goes, AKL has been consistently longer waits than what I've waited for anywhere else.

And this morning was my first time in Pandora. Ill save the detailed review for the TR, but I'll just say Everest is still the reason I'm going to AK. The detail is phenomenal in that land and I can't take away from the job they did on it... But at the end of the day it is a world I just can't get into. I guess it is my stubbornness shining through from just not liking the movie maybe.

That's in line with what we experienced in February. Bus service was absolutely horrible. I was hoping for y'alls sake, it was the exception we experienced instead of the norm. :sad2: Sorry you're having the same problem. The animals are kinda cool, but they can't get close to your windows like they show in the brochures/commercials. I think I mentioned this to you...I much prefer WL.

I took not one single picture today. Literally feels like I'm herding squirrels here. I turn my back and 3 or 4 people take off opposite directions. I'm lucky that everyone just seems ok going along with what I want to do essentially, but i want input!

Anyway, good day today. Accomplished a lot despite an unpleasant early surprise. But again...i took 0 pictures. ThisTR will suck in ways only imagined in the past.

Kids have done relatively well but we did 2 long park days back to back and hit the meltdown point for DD. I admit i pushed hard, but my strategy is always go hard early, knock off as many must dos as we can then take the last part of the trip at a more leisurely pace. Tomorrow we visit Pandora and have breakfast... maybe use a couple of FPs and then i think we'll take a nice long break and let the kids swim.

Sounds a bit too busy for this (usually... lately) solo DISer.
Good luck rounding up the squirrels!

I highly recommend the touringplans room request fax tool. This was taken from my balcony just a few minutes ago. Hard to tell in the picture but there is a giraffe there.

::yes:: That's how I got my primo room at ASMU.

Gotta say I might have some thoughts on this trip that don't really line up with the Disney community. I love AKL, but I can't say that I'd scramble to come back here (at least not at this point). Transportation has frankly been worse than I ever imagined.

I always worried about that. Probably my #1 reason why I'm not keen on staying there.

And this morning was my first time in Pandora. Ill save the detailed review for the TR, but I'll just say Everest is still the reason I'm going to AK. The detail is phenomenal in that land and I can't take away from the job they did on it... But at the end of the day it is a world I just can't get into. I guess it is my stubbornness shining through from just not liking the movie maybe.

Hmmm... Guess I'll see for myself eventually. But does not bode well.

Life is good.

:laughing: Good for you!

Ok... Pandora at night is something to see. Unfortunately it is difficult to photograph. I tried getting some cell phone pictures for you and i can't get any to come out not looking like a glowing blue blob.

Currently in line to use a rider swap for my second chance ride on Flight of Passage.

It's A Small Moon definitely fared a little better on its second time around.

That said, it has been a lot of fun and today in MK was far more productive than I imagined it could be. Already have a few good TR stories even if no pictures. Still on the lookout for a good scooter incident

See, you already have trip report fodder. It's just meant to be.

Ok... here's a picture. Kids are asleep. I wanted a sundae in MK before fireworks. Line was wrapped around the building and I didn't want to miss the show so I settled for a mickey bar and my first ever zebra domes. Can't complain too much...

Looks like you're having fun and enjoying your stay.

Ok... Pandora at night is something to see. Unfortunately it is difficult to photograph. I tried getting some cell phone pictures for you and i can't get any to come out not looking like a glowing blue blob.

Oooh... blue blobs! Pretty!

So you're saying not much in the day, but worth it at night.

Currently in line to use a rider swap for my second chance ride on Flight of Passage.

Let us know what you think!

It's A Small Moon definitely fared a little better on its second time around.

Oh? As in better at night too?

Did you like FOP? I'm dying to know.

So happy you got to ride RRC finally.

As far as buses go, I hit my limit in May. For my first time ever I filed a complaint. I filed it on Sunday and got a response on Friday night, just in time for Disney to try and make it right. I don't want to spoil anything but it helped with our last day in the parks.

So you're saying not much in the day, but worth it at night.
Not exactly. I avoided seeing too many specific pictures and spoilers. I'd seen some just to acquaint myself with the lay of the land so to speak but I really wanted to experience it myself. I admittedly didn't like the movie nor was I excited about Disney using that IP in the parks but i knew they'd do some impressive things with it.. and they did.

I think my initial disappointment comes on the back of some reviews I've heard. People who didn't like or never saw Avatar just talked about how it blew them away at first sight and the movie didn't matter. Maybe that set my expectations too high but it just didn't hit me that way.

As for night time I love the way the bioluminesence is there but not over stated. They really did a nice job of bringing in some little details without making it laughable. I think having seen it once, taking some time to reflect on those initial thoughts and seeing it again helped regardless the time of day. The river ride is nice... I still can't give it a glowing review and it will forever be known as Its a Small Moon (or small Pandora) in my eyes, but I enjoyed it more the second time. I think maybe riding it at night when the ride is set at night helps. Its just like you're going from one part of the forest to another. Either way, now that I've ridden it I don't think I'd wait more than 15 or 20 minutes for it. When I used my FP tonight the wait was posted at 80 minutes. No. Just no.

Flight of Passage was much better the second time. Not having to keep an eye on DD and help calm her helped immensely with both my enjoyment and motion sickness. I'd definitely ride this one every trip. Posted waits were running around 2 1/2 - 3 hours. I wouldn't wait that long but I'd wait an hour for it. Which is saying a lot because I wouldn't wait an hour for Soarin. Well worth the use of a fast pass.

ETA.. I've got some observations about leg length and the FOP restraints. I'll share later but will be happy to answer any questions if you need information.

Last edited:
When you miss most of MK EMH because you're waiting 30 minutes for a bus while 2 pull up in a 10 minute span for both AK and Disney Springs. To clarify, 2 people got in one AK bus. Nobody boarded a Disney Springs bus. This is a joke...

When you miss most of MK EMH because you're waiting 30 minutes for a bus while 2 pull up in a 10 minute span for both AK and Disney Springs. To clarify, 2 people got in one AK bus. Nobody boarded a Disney Springs bus. This is a joke...

That stinks! Maybe talk to guest services? Hope it improves.

Final result... arrive at bus stop at 7:45 shooting for arrival at mk by 8:30. Bus arrives at 8:20. Saw multiple buses for every park without EMH during that time. Just got in park and waiting to see mickey at 8:50. Apparently parks with EMH are not a transportation priority.

Final result... arrive at bus stop at 7:45 shooting for arrival at mk by 8:30. Bus arrives at 8:20. Saw multiple buses for every park without EMH during that time. Just got in park and waiting to see mickey at 8:50. Apparently parks with EMH are not a transportation priority.
This was our experience at Pop last Dec. We stood out there waiting for buses to breakfasts FAR too long. It was ridiculous. You are making me feel better about my decision to rent a car next trip.

We had multiple bus issues in May. So frustrating!

I avoided seeing too many specific pictures and spoilers.

Ditto.

i knew they'd do some impressive things with it.. and they did.

Good to hear!

I think my initial disappointment comes on the back of some reviews I've heard. People who didn't like or never saw Avatar just talked about how it blew them away at first sight and the movie didn't matter. Maybe that set my expectations too high but it just didn't hit me that way.

Ahhhh... yes, I'm familiar with that phenomenon.
I hate when I see a movie a really like and people ask me what I thought (without having seen it themselves.) If you gush... they never seem to like it that much. The reverse is true.
I've been purposefully not reading much about Pandora or what people think.

So... your comments were just about what I want to hear.

The river ride is nice... I still can't give it a glowing review and it will forever be known as Its a Small Moon (or small Pandora) in my eyes, but I enjoyed it more the second time. I think maybe riding it at night when the ride is set at night helps. Its just like you're going from one part of the forest to another. Either way, now that I've ridden it I don't think I'd wait more than 15 or 20 minutes for it. When I used my FP tonight the wait was posted at 80 minutes. No. Just no.

Good to know! Knew rides always have long rides (Frozen, anyone?) But waiting 80 minutes for a river ride??? Hmmmm.....

Not having to keep an eye on DD and help calm her

That intense? Or is she just easily excited?

I'd definitely ride this one every trip.

Good to know! Thanks!

Posted waits were running around 2 1/2 - 3 hours.

Holy crap....

I wouldn't wait that long but I'd wait an hour for it. Which is saying a lot because I wouldn't wait an hour for Soarin. Well worth the use of a fast pass.

No kidding! I ain't waiting 3 hours for any ride unless it's an actual space launch.

ETA.. I've got some observations about leg length and the FOP restraints. I'll share later but will be happy to answer any questions if you need information.

Hmmm... Not worried there. I think I'm a fairly average dude height/weight. So unless it's really different, I should be okay.

:headache:

Apparently parks with EMH are not a transportation priority.

That's just.... stupid.

This was our experience at Pop last Dec. We stood out there waiting for buses to breakfasts FAR too long. It was ridiculous. You are making me feel better about my decision to rent a car next trip.
I like the idea of not having to drive once I'm there. And typically I feel like it is better to bus to MK just because you transfer anyway once you park. But after a whole week with consistently slow bus service I just can't say much good about it. I might be biased but all week it just felt like the AKL bus corral was consistently longer than any other resorts. In fact, leaving DHS one night people couldn't even get through because AKL was backed up pretty much to security waiting close to an hour for a bus. I guess i could be more lucky like @pkondz and consistently walk up right before a bus pulls up but it seemed to me like I must have been about 45 seconds later than that.

Maybe it is me being selfish but I guess with AKL being a deluxe resort with no special modes of transportation like most others, I'd really expect them to make an extra effort to ensure to notch bus service and write frankly it felt more like AKL was a lower priority than the values.

Sounds like the buses have been a nightmare lately. Sorry you missed most of EMH due to a bus delay. That shouldn't happen no matter where you're staying but definitely not when you're paying deluxe prices.

Maybe it is me being selfish but I guess with AKL being a deluxe resort with no special modes of transportation like most others, I'd really expect them to make an extra effort to ensure to notch bus service and write frankly it felt more like AKL was a lower priority than the values.

I felt that way too, Andy. Odd, I thought. My last trip though, had consistently crappy service everywhere with a few lucky exceptions. Looking forward to you being back to tell us all about it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter