I Better Vote Tomorrow...

I suppose there are county positions in odd years. Maybe school board too.

hereabouts we have to check every stinking ballot that comes out b/c the school districts are notorious for putting the same bonds that been previously voted down back on every subsequent ballot hoping that no one will notice except those in favor of passing it.

I'm going to love when all the TV political ads, political flyers, and phone calls STOP!!

i am so sick of political flyers. what really gets me is how we are inundated with flyers from a few candidates who profess to be tremendously invested in environmental issues. i don't care if they are using recycled paper for their flyers-it's still paper being used, paper that ends up going to a landfill or recycling center, paper that with all it's travels from printing to post office to my house to landfill/recycling center entails the use of motor vehicles....that doesn't seem like a reasonable practice if you're committed to protecting the environment.

I think of the reminders to vote as just that as well as a public service.
Should someone think it's "shaming" them to get this notification I suspect that's their mindset
Your past voting history is no one else's business. If for example I chose not to vote in the 2014 midterm elections but opted to vote in the 2016 presidential elections and then opted to not vote in the 2018 midterm elections that's not up for someone to admonish me for not voting in the 2014 and 2018 midterms.

*I typically vote especially when up for governor, representatives, sales tax or mil levy increases,etc. but I'm not going to admonish my friends who don't nor do I think I should get a notice bringing to attention when I didn't vote. It's not compulsory here it's a choice.

I think of the reminders to vote as just that as well as a public service.
Should someone think it's "shaming" them to get this notification I suspect that's their mindset.

There is a difference between an organization sending out general notices to all residents reminding them it is an election year and to go vote. It is another to send a personalized list of previous dates that an individual chose not to vote.
One is clearly a public service, the other is clearly targeting specific people to make them "feel" something to go out an vote.

Your past voting history is no one else's business. If for example I chose not to vote in the 2014 midterm elections but opted to vote in the 2016 presidential elections and then opted to not vote in the 2018 midterm elections that's not up for someone to admonish me for not voting in the 2014 and 2018 midterms.

*I typically vote especially when up for governor, representatives, sales tax or mil levy increases,etc. but I'm not going to admonish my friends who don't nor do I think I should get a notice bringing to attention when I didn't vote. It's not compulsory here it's a choice.

It's not a public admonishment as I understand it but a sealed letter directed to you so all those people witching about it on TV are just "outing" themselves... Secondly, whether you voted or not is a matter of public record that anyone can look up if they choose to depending on the state's transparency/privacy laws. Doesn't say who you did or did not vote for (that would be illegal) just that you didn't vote at some time or the other- you supply your own reason. Ask your elected officials to change the law if you feel it's an issue that needs addressing.

There is a difference between an organization sending out general notices to all residents reminding them it is an election year and to go vote. It is another to send a personalized list of previous dates that an individual chose not to vote.
One is clearly a public service, the other is clearly targeting specific people to make them "feel" something to go out an vote.

Lots of stuff out there that specifically targets individuals to do something. Turn your ad blocker off, type in the word bed bug" and count how many ads pop up for exterminating servies; opt into a news feed on FB, click on an item you want to read more about and you'll now be inudated with more stories with a similar vien. Marketing and advertising has evolved and maybe we should too.
Whatever it takes that is legal to convince people to do more than mouth "Thank you for your service" to every first responder and military personnel they see and actually engage in civics on a personal level seems sensible to me; this country has a rather abysmal percentage of eligible population that votes.

It's not a public admonishment as I understand it but a sealed letter directed to you so all those people witching about it on TV are just "outing" themselves... Secondly, whether you voted or not is a matter of public record that anyone can look up if they choose to depending on the state's transparency/privacy laws. Doesn't say who you did or did not vote for (that would be illegal) just that you didn't vote at some time or the other- you supply your own reason. Ask your elected officials to change the law if you feel it's an issue that needs addressing.
I don't think you're getting what I was saying.

I didn't say it was public :confused3. You shouldn't be getting a notice from anyone IMO regarding your past voting history. I don't care that someone can look up my voting history---I know they can. In my state you have to register a specific political affliation (I did it as part of my DL at the DMV). I don't mind that nor do I mind getting notices from the County about where my polling place is regardless of whether I'm going to vote or not. I would mind if I got a letter saying "Hey you didn't vote in X election" because it's my choice whether I voted in X election or not voted in X election.

I don't need to ask my elected officials...as I stated in my first comment on this thread I've never gotten one before. The OP however did and so did someone else. Again I don't think you understand what I was saying.

we don't get stickers, kinda hard to distribute when we don't have polling places
Where do you vote without polling locations?

Here they chase you out the door to hand you a sticker lol kidding sorta; they do like to give people the stickers. I nearly bypassed the table last week but a kind gentleman was like "here's your I Voted Early in ____ County" sticker so I took it.

It's up to you whether you vote or not. The only concern I would have is whether a local election official uses that as an excuse to purge someone from the voter rolls. There's been a few of those cases reported and it's concerning.

Lots of stuff out there that specifically targets individuals to do something. Turn your ad blocker off, type in the word bed bug" and count how many ads pop up for exterminating servies; opt into a news feed on FB, click on an item you want to read more about and you'll now be inudated with more stories with a similar vien. Marketing and advertising has evolved and maybe we should too.
Whatever it takes that is legal to convince people to do more than mouth "Thank you for your service" to every first responder and military personnel they see and actually engage in civics on a personal level seems sensible to me; this country has a rather abysmal percentage of eligible population that votes.

Exactly, and you are just proving my point. In the OP's case that organization decided it takes shaming people in to voting instead of just sending a general reminder too.

My DH and I both have received two of these notices -- must be from different organizations because they looked different and had different info. The first showed our physical address and which elections we voted in for the past few years (which happened to be all of them) and then the voting record of neighbors on our same street, but with their house numbers blacked out -- so just the street name -- and we live on a long street since it's the main road of a large subdivision, so no way to tell who specifically voted or not. It didn't tell us anything other than we always vote. The other notice just showed us a graph of how we vote compared to others (nationally or locally, I don't know) and again, we vote in every election, so there was no shaming going on with our notices -- I just felt like it was a reminder to vote -- although, as usual, we voted early two weeks ago.

I didn't get a sticker when I voted this morning either. I suppose I'd need to take that up with my local board of elections though. Being able to vote is it's own reward, still worth it.

And there are lots of places you can vote without a polling station. Like in WA state where you vote via the mail. You don't get a sticker when you drop your ballot in the mail.

I miss NY's old voting booths with the curtain and the lever. The new scanners are a lot less gratifying. I took the voter worker education class so I know allegedly those scanners are hacker proof but I still liked those old curtain booths better.

Like in WA state where you vote via the mail. You don't get a sticker when you drop your ballot in the mai
If you're referring to my comment that's not what I meant. Sure you have absentee and mail in ballots but that's not what I was referring to. The PP said "we don't get stickers, kinda hard to distribute when we don't have polling places" so I was referring to voting in person when I asked where do you vote without polling locations. If they don't have places at all that they can vote in person then that would answer my question as well.

Most of the time where I go to vote doesn't have stickers. I'm not voting until this afternoon, so even if they did, they'll probably be out by then.

There were no stickers at my location this morning. A woman even walked out, then came back to ask for one, but they didn't have them. I don't care that much, but maybe the stickers are being phased out here.

I always vote on election day because for my precinct the lines are always short, much shorter than the early voting lines usually are. There were about 10 people there this morning, which is actually more than usual. It took me about 12 minutes or so to get in and out.

If you're referring to my comment that's not what I meant. Sure you have absentee and mail in ballots but that's not what I was referring to. The PP said "we don't get stickers, kinda hard to distribute when we don't have polling places" so I was referring to voting in person when I asked where do you vote without polling locations. If they don't have places at all that they can vote in person then that would answer my question as well.

all of our voting is done by mail so no polling places at all. it will be interesting to see what the 'turnout' is for us this year since it's the first time voters don't have to pay for a postage stamp to mail their ballots in (we could always drop them off free in ballot boxes around the state but unless you happened to be near one it was kind of a pain to seek one out).

all of our voting is done by mail so no polling places at all. it will be interesting to see what the 'turnout' is for us this year since it's the first time voters don't have to pay for a postage stamp to mail their ballots in (we could always drop them off free in ballot boxes around the state but unless you happened to be near one it was kind of a pain to seek one out).
Well that answers it :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter