I beat cancer,now we're going to Disney World!!!

Mombits

Mouseketeer
We're back and I have started the TR! Hope you come along! Find it here:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=36538598&posted=1#post36538598

Hi all! I am a newbie and I'm not sure if anyone will be interested in our trip details but I thought I'd give it a go anyway!
Who "we" are: Me- Chris, age 40, just finished treatment for breast cancer in February. DH- Brian, age 39, wonderful husband extroidanaire. DD- Hannah, age 10- super excited for Disney but not sure if she can still be a "kid" or if she needs to act more "grown up". DS- Donovan- age 7- pretty ok with going along for the ride, but boy don't get this one mad or fuhgetaboudit.

Here's a pic of the kids from this fall- we went to South Dakota and Wyoming (instead of Disney :confused3).
IMG_5643.jpg

And one of dh and I from this summer, when I still had my own hair-
CopyofIMG_5367.jpg

So here is our back story. I am the only one who has been to Disney World. I took my mom there for her 60th birthday in 1998. We stayed at what was then Dixie Landings. I didn't know anything about ADR's or making detailed plans. I did have park hoppers and we did have a couple of character meals- one by accident. I decided then and there that if I ever had kids, I'd bring them to Disney but would wait til they were old enough to "get it" and to not cry and whine every few minutes (remember, this was my pre-mom brain talking). So about the time my kids hit age 4 and 6, I started thinking about taking them to "the World" but money and circumstances just wouldn't work out. Finally, in Dec of 2008, we got a small windfall and I decided "NOW is the time!!!" Hannah had just turned nine and Donovan was six. Of course, Brian didn't quite agree with me. He thought it might be good to use that money for oh say... bills. Crazy, right? But I was adamant and we put down a nice deposit for 7 days, 6 nights at ASMu from Oct 24th thru Oct 31st, 2009. DH finally jumped on the bandwagon and we got the Disney portion paid off quickly, then we got our airfare paid off and finally we actually added a night at Disney's Vero Beach Resort and also bought tickets to MNSSHP. We were all set and paid!!! Fast forward to July 2009. I turned 40 on June 23rd and went in for my first "annual" mammogram. Well, we all know how that turned out. In the topsy turvy time that happened after that, I tried really hard to hold onto Disney. It was the first thing I asked my onocologist. She thought it would be a bad idea. So with a really heavy heart, I told my kids that we were going to have to postpone our trip. I dragged my heels almost until the 45 day mark. I was just really so sad. It was almost like having cancer wasn't so much the punishment, but me being the reason my kids were going to miss out on Disney was! :mad:

I would finish my radiation at the end of February and thought about maybe going in March. But my good friends on another board (who are crazy Disney nuts) said that March til about mid April would be crowded and more expensive. So I decided on late April, also thinking it would give me more recovery time and never really "getting" what was coming up for me and how much I would have to recover from. :laughing:

So I set out on my journey through breast cancer. It was long and yes, I was really, really sick. However, Brian and I both had vacation time in October since we had planned to go to Disney, so we decided to try for a trip to South Dakota to see Mt Rushmore. I had been wanting to take the kids there but hadn't really thought it would happen for us anytime soon. Surprise!!! We weren't sure how well I would do and though I made it through, I ended up in the hospital a couple of days after I got home. Here is a photo of us in front of the monument. This is my wig! What do you think?

IMG_5589.jpg

Now, all the cruddy junk is behind us and we are ready to celebrate! We are going to Disney in 9 days!!! Count 'em!! This morning I woke Hannah up and we did the single digit dance. We danced and danced. Then we went in and woke up Donovan (who was actually already awake because he heard all of our cackling and laughing over our silly dance) and we invited him to join in. So there we were in our jammies dancing around and laughing like crazy. Finally, we got dressed and went downstairs. Brian came home from work and the crazy single digit dance started all over so that he could join in. :dance3:

I hope you enjoy our very long awaited journey!

We're back and I started the TR, which can be found here:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=36538598&posted=1#post36538598
Hope you come along!!!

OK! So we are on to the plans!
We leave on Friday, April 23rd about 3 o'clock ish. We have to drive an hour to the airport. Much to my kids' chagrin, I am making them go to school until noon and then we will pick them up, grab a quick lunch and head to the airport. My poor husband works nights and will get off work at 6:30, drive 40 miles to get home, nap for about 3 hours and then I'll wake him up so he can shower and get in the car. Right now, my plan is to pack the car the night before so that he doesn't have to deal with it when he is dead tired. Then he can sleep while I drive.
Here is a picture of the shirts I made for them to wear on our leaving day- I got this cute DISign here! I covered up the part that has our last name and Family Vacation 2010 on it.
IMG_6106.jpg

We arrive in Orlando about 11 pm and we are picking up our rental car and heading to the La Quinta for some zzz's. Why? Because we are going to Vero Beach on 4/24!!! Yep, we were still able to do it. I debated about whether I wanted to try to hightail it up to the Disney VB Resort early in the AM so we can do the character breakfast- it's Goofy and Max I think- but decided against it because I know we will all be tired and probably want to sleep in and this will probably be the last sleep in day for a week!

So Saturday morning (or afternoon depending on how late we sleep) we'll hop in our rental car and head up to the Disney Vero Beach Resort. My niece and her family live near there so we are hoping to meet up with them. Go the the beach. Hit the somewhat Mickey-shaped pool and get some good food.

Sunday morning super early we will drive back to Orlando to the airport, return the car and then hop on ME and head to the happiest place on earth. We'll check in at our hotel and then head over to the Magic Kingdom. We have to hurry because we have 1:30 ADR's at CRT!!! :cloud9: We are staying at All Star Music. We haven't asked for a preferred room and I am wondering if I will grow to regret this.

I am so looking forward to our first glimpse of that castle. For months, every time we watched a Disney movie, I'd tell the kids "We're going to eat there" and they would excitedly say "YESSSS!!! Yes we are!" or later "Yeah, mom, we know." Lately Hannah has said "Why do we have to eat at the castle?" This totally bums me out as I know that my baby girl is beyond the love for princesses for the most part. When we booked the trip she had just turned nine. Now she is 10 and a half and has had to do a lot of growing up in the last 6 months. I hate it. Every so often a glimpse of that princess-loving girl pokes her head out, but then she goes right back in like a turtle in her shell. I am hoping against hope that she will find that girl with the magic of Disney.

Monday is our Animal Kingdom Day. We will have a 9 am ADR at Tusker House and a 5 pm ADR at Rainforest Cafe.

Tuesday we go to Epcot! I think this is our second most awaited park. I loved Epcot when I went with Mom and the kids have caught the contagion. Donovan's most requested "activity"- he wants to go to club cool. I don't know why that is so appealing to him but that is at the very top of his list. Yes, I am "that" mom. I told him he HAD to try the Beverly! Hannah's- test track. Mine- Soarin'. Brian's- doesn't care. He is still sure that the trip will be ripped from our hands at the last minute and refuses to get excited until his booty is in the plane seat!!! Poor Mr. Grumpy Pants. He just doesn't "get" the fun of Disney Planning Mania.

Wednesday- DHS of course, with a 5 pm ADR for Sci Fi.

Thursday- I think we will probably do a half day at MK and a half day at Epcot. We had an ADR at O'hana's but apparently they are going to be closed at this time, so shhhhh we are doing a surprise visit to Chef Mickey's.

Friday- We are heading to DTD and the who knows???

Saturday- going home day. :sad2: But on the upside, we will have an early ADR at O'hana's. Our plane leaves at 5pm.

It's getting crazy! This morning I did the online check in! Woo HOOOOO!!!! Hannah is starting to officially freak out. She is worried about her first airplane ride. She is like me- a worrier. I am sincerely hoping we don't have a major meltdown in the airport. I'm not sure how Homeland Security will feel about my girl screaming and crying and having a fit since she is not a tiny child- she's a big ole' 10 year old. I called the doctor this morning to ask for help and suggestions. It's not that I want to drug my child but on the other hand maybe the doctor can give ME the drugs so I can deal with my child. LOL. Well, maybe not. Maybe she can just give me some suggestions on what I should do to calm her down. I already know her ipod is going to come in handy. Normally we do deep breathing and turn the tv on to distract her until she feels better. Since this isn't an option, I really need to figure out what will work.

Last night I started packing. I am realizing I might need another suitcase so I actually have somewhere to put my clothes.:rolleyes1 I'll have to come back and post pics of the "stuff". I bought some great things to surprise my kids with when we get to Disney. But there is just a multitude of things that need to go with us. Ponchos, window clings, sunscreen, medications, snacks, etc, etc, etc. :scared1: It's a LOT of stuff.

So, we are on our way. Things are starting to get done. I still need to go out and get two more t-shirts for some cute DISigns that I want make. I think we're going to try to go thru our summer stuff- we're mid-westerners and it's still pretty chilly here for the most part. But we have a crazy busy weekend so we'll see how much gets done.

Hello! Chris
I am so excited to meet you! your daughter will surprise you when she gets there; the magic will transform her back to your princess loving princess princess:. Sounds like you have a great plan. We have ressies at Tusker house on Monday also, but, at 8:10 (I believe) so maybe we will run into one another...I'll keep an eye out! My DS17 yr old last year acted like a stick in the mud but could not wait to go back this year :confused3...I was teasing him telling him that he and his buddy would have to take pictures with all the princesses this year and he laughed and said they had already discussed that they wanted pics w/the characters and the princesses :rotfl:

It will be a hot trip to you guys; so be sure to pack cool clothes...we are already wearing sleeveless tops in the day time and shorts day and night. we're from LA
As for the airport just keep reminding her that she will be on her way to WDW and see family she will be fine...do you have a handheld game unit or something that she can use visually that may help since no TV... Good luck! I'm sure she will be fine...

I look forward to planning with you for the next seven days!
:dancer: :dancer: :mickeyjum :dancer: :dancer:
we'll both be in Disney before you know it!
:wave2: Connie

BTW: Congratulations! on the completion of your BC treatment...:hug:

OH! and as for the preferred room; I really don't think it makes that big a difference at the value's or the mod's...you really are not in your room enough for a view difference anywho...I really think the only time I would pay for that would be at a deluxe...we stayed at ASSp last year and we loved it...we are trying the POP this year!

It's great to meet you too Connie. If you see a red-headed family and the pooh-sized mom practically has no hair, well that will be us! I am NOT wearing my wig to Disney. My son just about died of embarrassment the first time I went out in public without my wig. We were in Michael's and I was just about dying from heat, so I whipped my hat off and he gasped "MOM! YOU AREN'T WEARING YOUR WIG!" I laughed and said "I KNOW!!!!" Then I asked him if he wanted me to put it back on, he said no but I could tell he really wanted to say yes, but was just too sweet to do it. I think now he is pretty much over that. However, I still don't have all that much hair.

I am crossing my fingers you are right about Miss Hannah reverting back to her 7 yr old self. I was able to get some medication for her for the flight. I'll hold off giving it to her of course unless it's dire circumstances. It's supposed to just relax her. Maybe she'll be too excited to have a panic attack. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the advice on the preferred room. That is my thinking too. The only thing I really want is to be close to the bus stop because I still do get very tired. But the way I figure it, I'm going to be tired for the entire week, why let that stop me?

It's awesome that your DS17 is excited to go back. Go figure!

Congratulations on beating cancer! You certainly deserve this trip, and I can't wait to hear all the details.

We're staying at ASMu in late May, and we didn't choose the preferred room either. I'm guessing I won't be spending enough time in the room to even matter.

Man, it is getting so close. No way do I feel like I am ready. I had such a busy weekend that I got NOTHING done for Disney. Nothing. No packing, no nada. So I will have to hit it hard tomorrow,tuesday and thursday. Tomorrow I have a Girl Scout meeting. I am the leader. Do I have anything planned? Nope. I have to work until noon and then I go to Cancer rehab on Mondays from 1-4. So I'll come home and try to figure out what we are going to be doing, pick up something for the girls to have for a snack and drive across town. It's about a half hour drive to get to the school that the girls meet at. Hannah used to go to the school, but we moved and I continued on with the troop for both of us. I love my girls! We are currently planning their bridging ceremony for next month. I can't believe I am going to have a middle schooler. But back to Disney. I do have some photos that I wanted to post. One is the purse that I got for the parks. It's not a Vera but it really looks like one. It's by Liz & Co and when I googled Liz Claiborne + Vera Bradley, it looks like Vera is owned by LIz??? If so, then maybe that would explain why they look so similiar. I also wanted to post a photo of "the stuff". This is for the kids' goody bags that they will receive in our room at Disney. Today I was at Barnes and Noble and found cute Minnie and Mickey book lights for 50% off. I was buying each kid a book for the plane - hey look I DID get something done for Disney after all, lol- and I couldn't pass them up. Hannah said "Mom, won't they have lights on in the plane?" LOL. Smarty pants.
IMG_6114.jpg

IMG_6115.jpg

IMG_6118.jpg

IMG_6119.jpg

IMG_6121.jpg

Autograph books and lanyards:
IMG_6122.jpg

Countdown Chain!
IMG_6123-1-1-1.jpg

Congratulations on beating cancer.

Im sure it must have been a long, emotional and difficult time you have had. It will take time too, to give it a place. To get in peace with it. It was for my mom. My mom hated her wig, I mean, the wig was beautifull, and of great quality, like yours, but she didnt like to wear it.
So she wore bandana's all the time. Really pretty bandana's even. They suited her well. My mom shaved the first hair she got back when it was about 2 inches long. And now, 3 years after her chemo's, she has gorgious long hair again.

Your Disney plans look great! I'm sure you will have a blast! You really have something to celebrate. Let the castmember of your hotel know, and you will get a celebration button. Castmembers will ask you what you are celebrating, and you will have a big chance they will surprise you with a little bit if Disney Magic :)

love your bag; I love the colors...wow you sure did a great job on the kids stuff!
and I love how your countdown chain is so small; that means you are going to be in Disney in a few days:mickeyjum

have fun packing...I have most of our stuff pulled still looking for a pair of my shorts and Danny's swimsuit (just used it when we went to Nashville--have no clue where he put it)...
:wave2:

what a great ptr. you and your family deserve a wonderful magical time in wdw and i hope your trip is a blast. you have clearly been through so much. this trip will hopefully mark a new start for you and help you put the ordeal in the rearview mirror. i hope this trip will be a turning point for you and your family and you do have so much to celebrate. enjoying reading about your plans and looking forward to your trip report once you return. tell your son our fav at club cool is the kinley. my ds actually went online to see if there was some way to buy it here. no such luck! i could go for one of those right now tho! also, soarin is my favorite ride in all of disney .i could ride it all day. wish they would make other versions of it. have a wonderful trip and keep us updated!

Congratulations on beating cancer.

Im sure it must have been a long, emotional and difficult time you have had. It will take time too, to give it a place. To get in peace with it. It was for my mom. My mom hated her wig, I mean, the wig was beautifull, and of great quality, like yours, but she didnt like to wear it.

I didn't hate my wig too bad until toward the end. Mine was synthetic and it started to feel like Barbie hair. That is when I really got to hate it. But yes, it was terribly hot and itchy. I never wore it at home but when I went out in public I almost always did wear it. As much for my family and for others as for myself. I think people in general feel uncomfortable around someone who is obviously bald because of chemo or some other medical reason and I just wanted to take as much of that away as possible. It was funny because even people who knew I had cancer and had lost my hair, forgot because I always wore my wig. So when I quit wearing it, some of them were sort of shocked. :eek:

I do plan to shout if from the rafters "I am done with cancer!" so I am certain the castmembers will all know;)

Thanks, Connie. I told Brian this morning that he really needs to go thru his summer stuff TODAY so we know if he needs anything. I already bought him a new swimsuit because I'll bet he has no idea where his swimsuit is. Men. LOL.

I like the bag too. I was on the fence about that type of bag and in fact bought a different one and then decided that I didn't really like it. Well, truth be told, I bought two others! So I am hoping that bag #3 is the one.

I got most of the "stuff" either at Walgreens or at the Dollar Tree. I hope they are surprised.

Thanks Elizebeth. I will tell him to give that one a try. I actually think he plans to try every one. He can barely wait. He didn't take a link off our chain yesterday so he could take off two today and make it look super tiny and boy does it ever! It only has 4 links on it. We are all getting really anxious. I think I am going to stay up tonight and try to get everyone most of the way packed so that if anything comes up, I won't have to try to do that on top of it all. Wow, really, really can't believe we are leaving in 4 days. Wooo HOOOOOO!!!

Joining in from another TR and SO happy that you are surviving cancer!!! :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:
I'm looking forward to reading all about your Disney adventure. 4 more days left!!!!

Congrats on beating cancer!!!!! I am so happy for you and your family. Now on to Disney!!!! I'm enjoy reading the PTR, so please please be sure and do a TR when you get back.

I know you will all have fun, but remember to also take breaks and rest when you can. Those days can be very long and very hot. Of course, ice cream really does help :)

God bless and have a great trip!!!!!

Joining in from another TR and SO happy that you are surviving cancer!!! :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:
I'm looking forward to reading all about your Disney adventure. 4 more days left!!!!

Me too!!! In fact, the day I finished my radiation, Donovan called me on the phone and said "Mom, now are you a cancer survivor?" and I was so happy to be able to say "YES!!!"

I can't believe how close it's getting, starting to freak out a bit about all the stuff I haven't gotten done. :scared1:

Thanks for joining in!

Congrats on beating cancer!!!!! I am so happy for you and your family. Now on to Disney!!!! I'm enjoy reading the PTR, so please please be sure and do a TR when you get back.

I know you will all have fun, but remember to also take breaks and rest when you can. Those days can be very long and very hot. Of course, ice cream really does help :)

God bless and have a great trip!!!!!

Thank you! I will plan to do a bit of sitting here and there. My kids are pretty used to it. For three months, all I did was sit down because I wasn't able to walk or really move much, so they are loving the fact that I can get up and go. Thanks for joining in!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter