• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I’m afraid the Magic is gone!

They are running the place from the “Wall Street CEO Guidebook- How to maximize Quarterly Profits at any expense”

Its a very popular book with company leaders these days…..
That must be what's guiding my CEO LOL.....

What I don't understand is that I have been to Universal a few times in the last 6 months and they don't appear to be having a staffing problem. They have housekeeping at all of their resorts and we never waited more than a few minutes for a boat to and from the hotel. Plenty of TMs at the park entrance and loading rides, and they were all nice and cheery. The parks and bathrooms were clean. Why can't Disney hire people? I recall before the pandemic, the bathrooms in Hollywood studios were overrunning with trash and you could smell the stench from the guys bathroom while waiting for the women's. I witnessed this on multiple occasions. I was shocked that they weren't maintaining the bathrooms. Again, that was pre-covid. I just feel like they don't want to spend the money on staff.

Even their whole argument on requiring park reservations in order to staff properly is such a bunch of bull. All of their parks are crowded every day. They should staff for that. It's not rocket science.
Universal does pay more. But at this point they also treat their employees with more respect. Disney has lost a lot of employees to Universal over the last few years. If you go there, you see it. You will feel like universal is more “Disney” than Disney. It is also common knowledge in Orlando that Disney employees have moved to universal. People working at universal are happy and polite. Management is helpful, presentable, and creative. About two years ago, Disney decided to change their corporate “culture.” This isn’t my interpretation. Disney talks about it. It hasn’t gone well for them. But they show no signs of reversal.

The comment at the end of this article from a guest from the UK sums up my current feelings about WDW. It's sad, but true.
“We noticed the standards in WDW between our last wo visits from Uk how much the standards had slipped so badly for the sake of dollars is massive their rides are in a terrible state always braking down the parks are no where near as clean as they used to be Universal superior,”
https://www.intheknow.com/post/splash-mountain-log-sinks-disney-world/

We are finally heading back this August for first time since 2019 which just happened to be one of our best trips. The things OP mentioned are what i’m afraid of. I am so looking forward to being back “in the bubble” and if its different and noticeably a lesser experience we’ll all be so disappointed. Going to keep an open mind and hope for the best.
Prepare to be disappointed 😞

I get the "It's a staffing problem" argument.

My fear is that in hiring new people, Disney either won't be able to be as selective in finding people who "sparkle," or--in the interest of expediency--will choose not to be.

A culture of "making magic" is hard to recover once it's lost.
Impossible to recover. Six Flags is more magical than disney right now.

I do think the CMs are overworked since they are understaffed. They are also dealing with unhappy guests a lot more than usual due to all of the changes.
I think it’s an important distinction to make that the understaffing is, in many ways, a choice by Disney. You can’t offer awful wages with the expectation of top-notch work while executives continue to have their salaries and bonuses increase(sometimes double) year after year regardless of the company’s performance.

My daughter thinks COVID broke something in people the way they acted pre and post-COVID (she’s a lifeguard) so maybe we are as much to blame here for bad interactions. I had a nice trip in June but geez some guests were so rude…I won’t bore you with details but can definitely think of like 20 examples of idiot guests (ok, just one—meathead guy literally stepped in front of a teen who dared cut through his fireworks spot, just about knocked the kid over and then laughed about it) and had no bad CM interactions. I loved the trip though, so did fam, going back in Dec and gonna love it again. AKV looked as awesome as ever!

Last edited:
My daughter thinks COVID broke something in people the way they acted pre and post-COVID (she’s a lifeguard) so maybe we are as much to blame here for bad interactions. I had a nice trip in June but geez some guests were so rude…I won’t bore you with details but can definitely think of like 20 examples of idiot guests (ok, just one—meathead guy literally stepped in front of a teen who dared cut through his fireworks spot, just about knocked the kid over and then laughed about it) and had no bad CM interactions.
It was bad pre pandemic too when it came to guest behavior. My sister worked at the Magic Kingdom before Covid and she always had a story to tell about rude and crazy guests every single shift. I think a lot of people think they can act rude and entitled because they paid so much to be there, but everyone paid that amount too. She has since left Disney but now all I can think is how bad I feel for current CMs. They're trying their best right now and I don't blame them for feeling worn out by the amount of bad guest behavior.

Someone commented on another post their kid dropped a Sebastian's Bistro Roll, they would not replace it.
That's literally a "magic gone" moment. Chapek really has ruined Disney magic. Messing with a kid like that? Really?

Someone commented on another post their kid dropped a Sebastian's Bistro Roll, they would not replace it.
That's literally a "magic gone" moment. Chapek really has ruined Disney magic. Messing with a kid like that? Really?
When I worked there 20 some years ago, all cast members had the authority to replace food if we saw someone drop it. So sad

Low level employees dont care if they get fired anymore after the lockdowns and the pandemic. With what Disney pays all the employees know they can walk out and get a new job in the week, and Disney knows it too and cant exactly pressure them too hard anymore to do better.

Also the College Program is basically exploitation, and i legit dont understand why anyone with a college degree would ever agree to it. I guess their pipeline is fine arts colleges and people who get degrees in things that dont have any other employment opportunities. I've seen spots for like culinary with that group and i guess if you have a degree in baking and want to make some of the custom sweets thats a decent intern style opportunity, but i dont get who wants to go be in the suit all day after going to College for X years.

Universal and Disney employees bounce back and forth between the parks (assuming they leave on good terms) to get promotions and raises. I think the big difference is Universal is fine telling their line level employees they can tell the guest "No". Where as Disney makes you go see Guest Relations to go get told no. Empowered employees act better overall. I've seen plenty of surly Universal employees too, i think the difference though is that Universal doesn't get on to them about that as much, (Some Universal employees joke with you that they dont have to be nice to you like at Disney) which ironically puts them in a better mood.

UO is superior to me in so many ways but one. I have to give WDW kudos for prohibiting smoking inside the parks. Really wish UO would do that as well. Many of their smoking areas are right on main walking paths or in the most beautiful garden/scenic spaces.

Ok smokers...don't hate on me lol :duck:

a
My daughter thinks COVID broke something in people the way they acted pre and post-COVID (she’s a lifeguard) so maybe we are as much to blame here for bad interactions. I had a nice trip in June but geez some guests were so rude…I won’t bore you with details but can definitely think of like 20 examples of idiot guests (ok, just one—meathead guy literally stepped in front of a teen who dared cut through his fireworks spot, just about knocked the kid over and then laughed about it) and had no bad CM interactions. I loved the trip though, so did fam, going back in Dec and gonna love it again. AKV looked as awesome as ever
As a medical provider, who worked 12 hour days all through the pandemic, I can say for sure , people have changed. Their is a sizable portion of the population that treats people, especially any service worker, like garbage. Any inconvienece , however slight , is now a reason to explode.

I think it was more the political attitude during COVID that changed people. Once they felt emboldened to fight against any CDC requirements , they kept that attitude and now apply it to anything they find to be “too much to ask”

of course just my opinion , anyone else's may vary.

It's funny. I've got friends in the parks right now, and they are saying that, not only is the magic NOT gone, but it's one of the best trips they've had in a long time, going back even before the pandemic. I guess it's there if you know where to look.
I'm not wanting to go on vacation to WDW and then have to search high and low for the supposed hidden magic that requires that I know where to look to find it. As I'm sure many people can attest, in the old days, you didn't have to know where to look. It was all around you everywhere you turned and everywhere you went. In my opinion, people are using their imagination and nostalgic wishful thinking to fill in the gaps where the magic used to be and they clap their hands and believe and pretend it's still there. If I have to imagine the magic is still there in order to experience it, I might as well stay home, save the money, and use my imagination there. The "magic" was not just some inexplicable feeling. It was based on real, discernible experiences, such as how CMs presented themselves and how they and the company treated guests, the appearance of the park, the plussing beyond what was minimally required.

I agree that it's different. Paying a lot more for a lesser experience.

One experience we had will sum up my point. We were watching the Epcot fireworks when a security CM came walking by yelling, in a rude way, "You people need to move or I will move you!" The people he was yelling at were within the viewing areas, but this individual kept walking back and forth yelling at folks. He ended up yelling at my elderly mom and that was the last straw. I approached him and I told him that he is being extremely rude and that no one here is breaking any rules. If he wants people to move, it could be handled in a more professional manner. He then replied that he's doing his job and if I don't like it I can talk to his supervisor. He also told me his name and walked away continuing to yell at folks.

I did track down a security supervisor and spoke with him. He agreed that this wasn't handled properly, but that's as far as it went. No sorry, no apology, no way to make it right. Basically, it was just, "sorry you had a bad experience, it was our fault, go on your way, thanks." This really ruined our fireworks experience and put a damper on our day. My parents likely won't be back to WDW due to their age, so this was their last experience there.

No thanks. Going to Universal or other attractions in the future. I know it's not WDW, but I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.

From these comments it’s clear to me that Disney is at a fork in the road.

Down one path lays mediocrity, CMs earning market-driven low wages, having other employment opportunities, and performing so-so because of it, creating little to no magic because they don’t need to.

Down the other path lays converting some of the huge park profits into markedly higher CM wages, allowing WDW to be more selective in hiring and retention, restoring magic.

This will be interesting.

From these comments it’s clear to me that Disney is at a fork in the road.

Down one path lays mediocrity, CMs earning market-driven low wages, having other employment opportunities, and performing so-so because of it, creating little to no magic because they don’t need to.

Down the other path lays converting some of the huge park profits into markedly higher CM wages, allowing WDW to be more selective in hiring and retention, restoring magic.

This will be interesting.
There is no fork in the road. Everyone hates Chapek. But the bill for the shopping spree Eiger went on is coming due and it will be paid.

There is no fork in the road. Everyone hates Chapek. But the bill for the shopping spree Eiger went on is coming due and it will be paid.
Sounds to me very much like a decision point.

With $1.8 billion in quarterly parks profits, Chapek will need to decide whether it’s smarter to continue to starve the parks (and watch them lose their luster) to more quickly amortize corporate debt, or to try to restore “the Magic” by retaining at least part of those profits in the parks division.

We're returning in October, but don't plan on visiting any of the parks. We're also going on a DCL Cruise and just learned that the $200 on-board credit that used to be offered if you signed up for another cruise has been eliminated. More cost cutting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter