• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

HydroGuy's Hotel Rule

What if you don't want to be really close to the park and away from the noise and crowded hotels. We will have a car, are there any decent hotels/vacation condos in decent areas with full kitchens (can't eat restaurant food every day) that are within 15 min drive to DL? Also planning to visit Knott's Berry water park and Legoland. Planning to go June/July 2007.

Thanks!

Once we stayed at the Embassy Suites out by the SNA airport. It was about 15 mins away. I won't do that again. On the 3rd day, my DS and DH took the Embassy Suites shuttle to the parks and it was ok but they did not make rope drop and they had to wait for the bus which made many stops. IMO with parking the way it is now, I vote for walking distance every time

We've made several trips to DLR and have always stayed within walking distance. For our next trip we're considering the Residence Inn Garden Grove. Does anyone how the Toy Story lot parking and tram ride compares time wise to the other Disney lots? I thought it might be a little less of a time waster in the morning but wanted to check with all you experts. Thanks!

I kinda agree with Hydroguy but if its significantly cheaper we will drive or use ART. And personally once you decide to drive I don't think its that big a difference if you are a 10min drive or 20 min drive away. You just have to factor all that time in.

We've made several trips to DLR and have always stayed within walking distance. For our next trip we're considering the Residence Inn Garden Grove. Does anyone how the Toy Story lot parking and tram ride compares time wise to the other Disney lots? I thought it might be a little less of a time waster in the morning but wanted to check with all you experts. Thanks!

We have been staying in Garden Grove for the last week. What Ive decided about the Toy Story lot is that if we are going to be leaving at anytime near closing we will not park in that lot because it is a zoo trying to get onto the busses at closing. Also the lot is not open early so if we go for rope drop we park at Mickey and Friends.

However if you are going mid day and leaving before closing then Toy story is good to park. The bus takes slightly longer than the tram but not terribly longer. If you factor in the extra time it will take to get to Mickey and Friends its quicker to park there.

We have been staying in Garden Grove for the last week. What Ive decided about the Toy Story lot is that if we are going to be leaving at anytime near closing we will not park in that lot because it is a zoo trying to get onto the busses at closing. Also the lot is not open early so if we go for rope drop we park at Mickey and Friends.

However if you are going mid day and leaving before closing then Toy story is good to park. The bus takes slightly longer than the tram but not terribly longer. If you factor in the extra time it will take to get to Mickey and Friends its quicker to park there.

sportbettor, thanks so much for the info! I didn't realize that the Toy Story lot wasn't open all the time. Although we rarely stay until closing time, it's a must for us to be there before opening. I really don't want to go the ART route, so I think I'll be booking another hotel within walking distance. This info has a huge impact on our plans and I can't thank you enough for responding to my post! Love the DisBoard folks!

The topic of where it stay has been making me crazy! We are staying at VGC for the first several days of our trip and then decided to add on four more nights in Anaheim. I considered the Castle Inn, but then read some pretty bad reviews and when I saw that it was on the other side of the Anaheim Plaza, I knew it was going to be further than we wanted to walk. So, I booked rooms at the Del Sol Inn. Now I'm reading bad and lukewarm reviews from there. So, I booked at Park Vue, which has great reviews. But, because they are sold out of two room suites and we need two rooms, it's a lot more than I wanted to spend ... like twice as much! Which has me considering trying a Priceline bid closer to our trip. But, then we'll get someplace further away and have to drive (and pay parking, and not get the free breakfast and social night dinner). :scared1: Ugh! I'm going to keep trying Park Vue's website and hope someone cancels their suite.

True, but if you are someone who typically stays on site--like me (DLH addict that I am) then ther are some things you should know. First of all, nothing is like a resort hotel. If you go in with the expectation that it will be just as good, then you will disappointed.

Next. Hojo's is very clean and acceptable. I thought since that was true, that Best Western Park Place Inn would be the same. This is not TRUE. It was a dumpy, despressing hovel in my opinion! Not exactly sprinkled with pixie dust, if you catch my drift. It didn't matter that it was on the crosswalk, because it just wasn't right for us. Howard Johnson's deserves it rightful place in second best to the resorts for this reason, I think.

The topic of where it stay has been making me crazy! We are staying at VGC for the first several days of our trip and then decided to add on four more nights in Anaheim. I considered the Castle Inn, but then read some pretty bad reviews and when I saw that it was on the other side of the Anaheim Plaza, I knew it was going to be further than we wanted to walk. So, I booked rooms at the Del Sol Inn. Now I'm reading bad and lukewarm reviews from there. So, I booked at Park Vue, which has great reviews. But, because they are sold out of two room suites and we need two rooms, it's a lot more than I wanted to spend ... like twice as much! Which has me considering trying a Priceline bid closer to our trip. But, then we'll get someplace further away and have to drive (and pay parking, and not get the free breakfast and social night dinner). :scared1: Ugh! I'm going to keep trying Park Vue's website and hope someone cancels their suite.

The Castle is the only one that needs to repair its reputation before I'd consider it.

Del Sol was fine for me, I was delighted in the value considering that I got a much better rate their than its neighboors. I've stayed in worse many times.

Suites are tough so you may need to take what you can get.

If you go in with the expectation that it will be just as good, then you will disappointed.

<snip>
Howard Johnson's deserves it rightful place in second best to the resorts for this reason, I think.

Nope, no worries that I'll be comparing VGC with anything else. LOL We wouldn't be staying there if we hadn't bought DVC earlier this year. :goodvibes HoJos has no rooms with two beds left for my dates ... I know, I can't believe it either. I know it's CP weekend, but yeesh! We actually have a kids suite booked at HoJos for the same dates we're at VGC (+1). I've been holding on to it because I wanted to be able to switch dates for after our VGC stay, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. I'll probably make someone's day when I open those days back up for the kids suite. LOL

Del Sol was fine for me, I was delighted in the value considering that I got a much better rate their than its neighboors. I've stayed in worse many times.

Suites are tough so you may need to take what you can get.

Good to know, thanks! I think you are right about the suites. But I won't give up all hope just yet. I'm still more than 90 days out and miracles happen, right? :thumbsup2

Ever think about adding nights prior to your stay at VGC? Ya know... Save the best for last! :thumbsup2

I thought about it, but we can't change our VGC dates. The dates before are the week of Thanksgiving and the DH is locked in to his vacation dates. So, I did think about it, but it's not possible. :sad2:

It looks like the mouseplanet.com links in the initial post have been removed from their site. Shoot! I have this post favorited so that I can always get to all those hotel numbers. Looks like some new research will have to take place.

On marathon weekends I will sometimes stay at the embassy on harbor because the ART has increased service and a dedicated bus for just the embassy. Never wait more than 15 min for a bus. It is hard to turn down the delicious embassy breakfast and that managers reception with free alcohol. However, we go several times a year so if we are missing time at the parks it doesn't bother us one bit.

Hi. Just piping in because I do not agree with this rule and think the waits/transit time for shuttles is overstated in our exerience. Our experience is a lot though :)

We live in San Diego and visit DL approx. monthly for a 1 or 2 night visit, sometimes 3. The quality of our hotel stay, even if it's just used to crash, is important to us and how we personally rate a hotel is certainly subjective. We like to be at a true hotel, not motelish, which most of the properties across the street are. As well, since we come up so frequently, cost is a factor (no more than $100/night) and many of those properties cost that or more with fewer or subjectively subpar ammenties. There is certainly the amentity of being close to the parks but that value is only worth so much to us when we know there are many other, nicer, properties available for less money and relatively short and easy commutes to the park. That being said we did stay at the Ramada Maingate at the Park last month and will stay there again if the price is right.

But our options extend past Disney properties (which we do stay at approx. twice a year.) We stay at the Marriott frequently and use Toy Story, as well as having used it from other nearby hotels. It's 5 minutes to the bus area and we have never waited more than a couple minutes for the commute to begin in either direction. We have gotten to the park in as little as 5 minutes. It's all dependant on how the traffic lights work out of course and we budget 10-15 (about the same as walking from PP.) For the high quality of hotel this is very acceptable to us and may be to others also. We have never used ART from these locations - actually we have never used ART at all.

We also like to stay at Wyndam further down Harbor and have stayed at Hyatt down there as well. Both these hotels have dedicated shuttles running on the half hour to and from the parks. And that is the key. A hotel that has its own shuttle. I have timed it, it's approx. 15 minutes and has been as little as 9. It was 20 once but there was a fire at a hotel across the street from DLR, traffic was rerouted and a very one-off occurance.

I'm not in any way trying to knock any hotel across the street. And walking to the park is indeed a great amenity. I'm just saying there are other things to consider and that there are easy, quick, low-hassle ways to get to the park from other locations. And for folks staying multiple nights in particular, they may want more amenties than just location and may want to investigate other options.

Last edited:
I'm not in any way trying to knock any hotel across the street. And walking to the park is indeed a great amenity. I'm just saying there are other things to consider and that there are easy, quick, low-hassle ways to get to the park from other locations. And for folks staying multiple nights in particular, they may want more amenties than just location and may want to investigate other options.

I agree that there are other facts to consider based on the make-up of your party. If it were stay across the street vs. ART (or vs. staying in neighboring city for cheaper), I would always follow Hydroguy's rule. The same would be true if if visiting with small children/strollers/mobility issues, etc. It's no fun trying to cram a stroller and a bunch of little kids into an already packed ART shuttle and then stop at four other hotels on the way to DLR. I'm also a hotel lover. It's not that I have to stay in only the best of the best, but I enjoy staying in a nice room even if I'm not spending that much time there. It's part of my vacation experience. I can usually find really nice hotel deals for under 100 bucks, and if one is close to Toy Story, that's what I'm choosing. I hope the influx of new hotels in that area doesn't force Disney to cancel this shuttle service for walk-up riders.

It looks like the mouseplanet.com links in the initial post have been removed from their site. Shoot! I have this post favorited so that I can always get to all those hotel numbers. Looks like some new research will have to take place.
I will update the OP. I found the new link to the article:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/7280/How_Far_Is_It

ETA: Ooops, I see there were two links in the OP and both had been moved. I could not fiund a link for the second one so have removed it from the OP.

:wizard:

Hydroguy, have you adjusted your opinion on this in light of Uber and Lyft?
Great question! I would say Uber/Lyft changes the old dynamic of waiting for a bus. It is far better than driving (the worst option IMO) or taking a bus IMO.

I would be interested to find out where Uber/Lyft can drop off at DLR. I know they drop in DTD which is still a bit of a hike to DLR if dropped there. I guess I would want to get dropped near Mickey & Friends and then take the shuttle - not sure if that is possible based on how security is set up now. But dropoffs on Harbor near the DLR east entrance? I do not know.

We used Uber several times at DLR last month. Just not to the parks. We took an Uber one warm evening from BWPPI to the DLH to dine at Tangaroa Terrace. Then walked back later after it cooled a little.

To me nothing can beat being walking distance. But Uber/Lyft makes staying further away less of a barrier.

Last edited:
Great question! I would say Uber/Lyft changes the old dynamic of waiting for a bus. It is far better than driving (the worst option IMO) or taking a bus IMO.

I would be interested to find out where Uber/Lyft can drop off at DLR. I knoow they drop in DTD which is still a bit of a hike to DLR if dropped there. I guess I would want to get dropped near Mickey & Friends and then take the shuttle - not sure if that is possible based on how security is set up now. But dropoffs on Harbor near the DLR east entrance? I do not know.

Thanks! Let's find out!

https://www.disboards.com/threads/where-do-uber-and-lyft-drop-off-at-disneyland.3629816/

(Can you believe this thread is 11 years old??)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter