• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

HydroGuy's Hotel Rule

The only caution I would add is we use the term "hotel" very freely when refering to most of the lodging choices on Harbor blvd..........

The only caution I would add is we use the term "hotel" very freely when refering to most of the lodging choices on Harbor blvd..........
LOL, I agree and after 44 years am still not exactly sure what a hotel is. My mother always told me that a motel was single level, and a hotel was two levels or more. In any case, Judy is quite correct that there are a variety of lodging types around DLR, which some might not consider to be true hotels.

well, since I been around for 45 years......I'll add that Hotels typically have interior corridors, and motels don't....hotels have dedicated (usually out of sight) parking, and motels or Motor Inns it is integrated into the lodging units.

Maybe someone 46 or above can add more ;)

please understand that even some of the most highly reccomended "hotels" have motel like features.

well, since I been around for 45 years......I'll add that Hotels typically have interior corridors, and motels don't....hotels have dedicated (usually out of sight) parking, and motels or Motor Inns it is integrated into the lodging units.

Maybe someone 46 or above can add more ;)

please understand that even some of the most highly reccomended "hotels" have motel like features.

Shoot, I fall into that category since I had my birthday last month ;)

A hotel, is as you say... usually it's one multi-leveled structure with a lobby, and then interior corridors. Parking is usually in a lot, or underground. There are usuall one or two entrances. Examples are: Sheraton (both), Clarion, Marritt, Hyatt, Hilton, etc. A motel is a structure that has 1-3 stories, though some near DLR have up to 5 stories. Parking is around the perimeter of the motel, near the rooms. Corridors are usually exterior, and there are several entries (end of each corridor usually). Examples would be: Carousel Inn, BW Park Place Inn, Candy Cane, Ramada Maingate, Tropicana, etc.

Some properties are kind of in between, like Fairfield Inn, Residence Inn Maingate... I prefer to use the term property instead of hotel/motel.

ahhh the wisdom of the aged ........

Happy Belated B-day Mary Jo! :)

that is a great habit to refer to them as "properties". I think the Harbor blvd properties are a great value.....I just think we set people up sometimes by using the Disney speak "Good neighbor Hotels". In my mind i would be asking where is the valet ?

I know I am the youngest here ;) , but I just have a hard time looking at a multi-floor Fairfield Inn or Best Western and calling it a "motel". Not that I am saying either of you are wrong, but my mother's definition must be deep in my brain. I understand that there is a difference between interior hallways vs. external access to rooms, etc. But I still can't call the Fairfield or BW a motel. Oh well.

Hydroguy... can you do anything about all those silly hotel names that are oh-so-similar and misleading?? How confusing to a non-expert! I mean, calling a place "maingate" in any way when it's atually a 15 minute walk is pushing the honesty bar. I agree with previous posters... you ROCK! Always SO helpful!! :thumbsup2

Hydroguy... can you do anything about all those silly hotel names that are oh-so-similar and misleading?? How confusing to a non-expert! I mean, calling a place "maingate" in any way when it's atually a 15 minute walk is pushing the honesty bar. I agree with previous posters... you ROCK! Always SO helpful!! :thumbsup2
That would be a good thread for a sticky. Maybe it already exists. If not, someone should post the acronyms commonly used for the "hotels" ;) around DLR.

In my OP Bret's link lists actual hotel names, so that may help some people.

A hotel is an establishment that offers lodging.

A motel is a establishment that offers lodging (ie a hotel) where the rooms have direct access to a parking lot.

All motels are also hotels. But not all hotels are motels.

The word is simply a combination of motor and hotel.

Of course what constitutes direct access is open for interpretation and many hybrid designs are hard to classify. But by the definition, I would argue, a 5 story structure, even with exterior hallways does not constitute direct access to the parking lots. Also a hotel like Pop Century. We don't think of this as a motel. Yet if one defined a motel by exterior hallways, one would have to classify it as such. But because most of its rooms do not have direct access to a parking lot, it is not.

Wow... i find the times for A.R.T. travel to be be quite short and they have so many allotted shuttles that the stops are few and the arrival to the parks in a timely manner.

We only stay at hotels with A.R.T....and particularly only stay at those with quick easy locations of A.R.T.

Then again... we travel with multigenerations on our Disneyland trips.. and after walking through multiple airports ..they enjoy the short shuttle ride to the parks.

Also.. for $4 .. it's a bargain to be able to go back and forth to the park as many times as you wish during the day and night.

We like A.R.T. ...it's so nice late at night after a busy day of walking the parks to wander out to the benches and find your shuttle then be taken back to the hotel. Especially in cold or wet weather..during a christmas trip... or off season.:goodvibes

Hydroguy, could you post this link perhaps like www dot fillintheblank dot com so we can copy/paste it? Thanks!
dl resort info dot com without spaces.

I think they got in trouble with DIS for being too commercial on the forums and were banned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter