Husband lost job...

Idk how much money he was making but make sure you look at how much his unemployment check will bring in vs how much a potential minimum wage seasonal job will bring in. It would be crazy for him to take a seasonal job that would end up bringing in just a little more than his unemployment check when he could instead be searching for a better fit fulltime replacement job.

If the missed income is needed seeing if there’s any way you could take on seasonal work could make a lot more economic sense.

Tbh he could be way too late for election work but it’s worth 1 phone call to find out Mon morning.

This.

If he can do any side jobs make sure it's under the table cash unless the job is going to pay more than his unemployment.

Just so you know that if he's claiming unemployment he is going to have to be actively searching for work. Also, in my state UI benefits are nowhere near 6 months - so you may want to be checking into how many weeks he will get. It's always better to file sooner than later as well.

Good driving record? Our district is desperate for school bus drivers.

My husband drove bus for awhile and maintains his license. It took several months for him to complete the training and requirements to get the CDL (Ohio--the class alone was either 4 or 6 weeks, IIRC).

I hope your husband is able to find something quickly.

So, he's gonna get 6 months of unemployment while he looks, right?

If it were me, I'd probably be the one to take on the "extra" jobs so it wouldn't affect the unemployment pull and it would make sure my spouse could be 100% focused on landing his next job. I'd probably look to pick up some daycare or senior care jobs, especially since a bunch of holidays are coming. Also, I'd probably work the elections (around here, I think you get $175 for the day)...
Unemployment eligibility and time you qualify will depend on the state some states have a lower max, some have a higher max and it from what I understand could also depend on the unemployment rate (lower unemployment rate less time you qualify for unemployment for example).

Also if you're earning money from a job typically that is required to be reported during your unemployment benefits and your amount may be adjusted depending on the job and the income derived from the job.

I would chance it no doubt.
That's great (sarcasm). Just wouldn't encourage fraud personally. In my state someone found to have committed unemployment fraud "is disqualified from receiving any unemployment benefits for a period of five years and can be prosecuted for making false statements or withholding material information to obtain benefits not due to the individual."

Whatever the OP does is up to them of course.

Where are you located? In Minnesota I've seen signs for Aldi's saying they pay over $20 an hour, Kwik Trip $15. There are hiring signs everywhere right now.

Can you relocate? We are desperate for employees in Seattle. I have many positions paying $100k+ working for the City of Seattle that I can not fill. I am swamped and overwhelmed. I am going bat $hit crazy because we can't hire enough people to help me in the Transportation Department. We keep losing people Amazon who are paying even more and have 6,000 openings.

https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/seattle

There are some great opportunities listed. Can any of the positions be remote? I know several analysts and IT types that are job hunting.

Is your dh on Linkedin? I am in sales also and always get e-mails for open positions where we live (I work remotely).

The first thing he should do is get his resume professionly done. When I lost my job this was the best thing I did for myself. I had a lot more interviews and landed my jobs pretty quickly. Did he see this coming? Sometimes you see it coming sometimes not. His FT job right know is to apply for as many jobs as he can daily. You might have to look at your budget and see where you can cut everything not needed. I also know the importance of having emergency fund. I currently have 2 mos saved and hopefully 3 soon. Good luck.

Uber and/or Lyft you can do both... We get picked up all the time, and the driver will have both on the car. He can start right away... and keep the hour he wants, while he looks for a job. While still bring in some money

Indeed and other job searches

Check out on-line sources to spruce up his resume`, lots of sites with free templates, and tips and tricks to help him get his resume` a second look.

LinkedIn - go on and create a profile.

File for unemployment - they have lots of good source available.

Christmas help is now in the hiring stages so this might help out somewhat... maybe you might want to take on a second job while the part-time work is out there and available.

Have a huge garage sale...

Sit down and look at your bills, and start cutting back right away... meal planning, couponing for everything.

When our friends company that he worked for closed the doors, and did not tell the employee's until they went to work on that Monday, nor did they pay them out what was owed. He started doing Uber and Lyft right away... He had been doing side jobs doing screen work for porches, and pools, for family and freinds... he put out the word that he was available for more work. Got a business license and went to work. He went around to new developments and older ones and did flyers... and got a ton of work right away. Lots of the work he gets is my mouth, His neighbor was an older guy who just had surgery and need someone to mow the yard, so he started mowing his yard, then another neighbor and another neighbor... They live in a neighborhood with lots of retired people. So now he has around 25+ house that he does weekly. His wife, does dog walking, and plant watering, and checking on the houses when they the neighbors head back up north for the summer or go on vacation. Some even she opens the house up, goes to the grocery store, so they have the basic's when they first get back.
While they have alot of irons in the fire, they are making it work... he has been looking to get back into his field for 8 months... he has had two offers, but he told us that he is making more money doing what they are doing... than they want to offer really low ball numbers.. So he is going to keep looking.

By getting creative with what they are doing... they are making it work.

Keep a positive outlook, sending pixie dust your way.

Uber and/or Lyft you can do both... We get picked up all the time, and the driver will have both on the car. He can start right away... and keep the hour he wants, while he looks for a job. While still bring in some money

Indeed and other job searches

Check out on-line sources to spruce up his resume`, lots of sites with free templates, and tips and tricks to help him get his resume` a second look.

LinkedIn - go on and create a profile.

File for unemployment - they have lots of good source available.

Christmas help is now in the hiring stages so this might help out somewhat... maybe you might want to take on a second job while the part-time work is out there and available.

Have a huge garage sale...

Sit down and look at your bills, and start cutting back right away... meal planning, couponing for everything.

When our friends company that he worked for closed the doors, and did not tell the employee's until they went to work on that Monday, nor did they pay them out what was owed. He started doing Uber and Lyft right away... He had been doing side jobs doing screen work for porches, and pools, for family and freinds... he put out the word that he was available for more work. Got a business license and went to work. He went around to new developments and older ones and did flyers... and got a ton of work right away. Lots of the work he gets is my mouth, His neighbor was an older guy who just had surgery and need someone to mow the yard, so he started mowing his yard, then another neighbor and another neighbor... They live in a neighborhood with lots of retired people. So now he has around 25+ house that he does weekly. His wife, does dog walking, and plant watering, and checking on the houses when they the neighbors head back up north for the summer or go on vacation. Some even she opens the house up, goes to the grocery store, so they have the basic's when they first get back.
While they have alot of irons in the fire, they are making it work... he has been looking to get back into his field for 8 months... he has had two offers, but he told us that he is making more money doing what they are doing... than they want to offer really low ball numbers.. So he is going to keep looking.

By getting creative with what they are doing... they are making it work.

Keep a positive outlook, sending pixie dust your way.

Thanks for all of the ideas! He is definitely going to start looking for odd jobs. Our concern is if he is not employed by Thanksgiving, then he probably won't get anything in his field till after the New Year. Thanks for the pixie dust, we need it right now.

Beware on driving for Uber or Lyft, though. Many insurance companies specifically exclude this activity and will need an extra rider to cover the activity.
Yes ....very true.
You don't want to get in trouble AND have to pay out of pocket for any accidents!

That's great (sarcasm). Just wouldn't encourage fraud personally. In my state someone found to have committed unemployment fraud "is disqualified from receiving any unemployment benefits for a period of five years and can be prosecuted for making false statements or withholding material information to obtain benefits not due to the individual."

Whatever the OP does is up to them of course.
That wasn't sarcasm, that is what I would do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter