Hurricane Matthew Closes WDW - Reopens Saturday, October 8th

Wow, we headed to DS. I have never seen things so nuts here. What did open has had lines several hours long. We got seats at the bar at Paradesco and the food was awful. I'd never heard great things and we won't be trying it again

STK is open for drinks only, no food

Well we walked up to Homecoming and were told it was a four hour wait so I asked guest relations at the welcome center that I had heard some places were honoring adrs and some were not. I had 7:45 at ohanas

She called over and said they were honoring them but had a limited menu

Upon arrival and check in they said its walk in only and the wait was an hour. We opted for that and waited about 15 mins before the buzzer went off

Side note: I just recorded all the voicemails we received and will get them up here once I get home either Saturday, Sunday, or Monday

Same at the Poly last night. The poor guy had been there since 7am (we were there at 8pm). After we got our drinks, they were closing for 1/2 hour and going to reopen with a "limited menu". I hope they had a replacement for the bartender!!

I'll bet he made great tips, though!

Staying at the Poly & I can honestly say everything went as good as could be.

Last night we got water & snacks from Moana. They were stocking things as fast as they could.

Later we got food to go from Capt. Cook's. The line was long but moved quickly. We got through the line, ordered, and had food within 20 minutes. We ate in our room & hunkered down.

We stayed in until about 4 and decided to check O'hana. The first text we got said it would be about 70 minutes which we were fine with. We got the text that our table was ready in 5 minutes.

O'hana served food buffet style. It was a combo of O'hana food and luau food. Everything was delicious...cast members were smiling & in good humor. We got a 30% discount as we were not using the dining plan.

We walked the path from the Poly to the Grsnd Floridian. Crews were cleaning up leaves and branches from walkways. We saw nothing major.

Our flight home tomorrow evening is still on schedule. Crossing our fingers!

Overall we are very appreciative of all the cast members who are here looking after us. I am sure they would all rather be home. I will be sending a letter of appreciation once we get home. Disney did an excellent job!

Last edited:

I do
And as you know, communication was abysmal with CMs as well. Those who were in the position to make this call chose image and money over safety and preparedness.
I don't think you can completely
I maintain that here at SSR we drew the shortest of short straws. I am reading the other reports of the other hotels, and comparing how it was dealt with here. Individual CMs were of course polite and enthusiastic. Organisation, communication and provision were appalling. I would have loved many of the experiences in the other hotels. Here, it was mostly a trial. I am grateful we are all safe of course.
Well at least you are still alive, have to be happy about that!

This is my backyard, about 3pm. I'm about 40 miles NW of St Augustine; about 1 1/2 miles from Doctors Lake and 5 miles from Black Creek.

Still getting gusty winds and rain. Lost some branches, but other than that, and a wet garage (wind pushed the garage door inward some and it leaked around the bottom and sides), we are good.

I'm so glad I just went and got fried chicken at Publix instead of going to Disney Springs!

Love it. Was going to go to DS but ended up going to Publix at 535/Reams and got some ground chuck to cook in the George Foreman. Went up to Winter Garden Village and should have eaten at Cracker Barrel but the wait time was pretty long.

Was kind of surprised when I looked on Schedule View that they had not cleared out our Friday shifts from the list. Just wondering if still having them on there will generate a "no call/no show" situation.

Last edited:
Goofy and Pluto out at CBR a couple of hours ago, nice touch I thought!
https://postimg.org/image/tq719t43d/

Food court was absolutely packed from about 6pm yesterday, and was even busier when the curfew was lifted today. Thought they handled it brilliantly. We attempted to go to Disney Springs when they announced it was open, but after seeing how busy other resorts bus stops were (and seeing Old Port Royale's bus stop) we decided to go for a walk around the resort and head back to the room.

Last edited:
I really am impressed that the characters interacted, played, colored, played video games, danced ............ and not just a stiff meet/greet. What great memories for these guests!!!!

All Around Orlando ‏@AllAroundORL 5h5 hours ago
Captain Hook & Mr. Smee roaming around the Polynesian lobby entertaining guests stuck inside for #HurricaneMatthew

CuMbZYOXYAAHhSw.jpg

CuMbZX-WcAAyRfi.jpg

CuMbZkMWIAAATkF.jpg

All Around Orlando ‏@AllAroundORL 6h6 hours ago
Even though the parks are closed, Disney's Polynesian has dance parties with character, arts and crafts, and games set up for guests.

CuMNEAGXYAEi9p-.jpg

CuMNEAHWEAA52SB.jpg

CuMNED0XgAADeQS.jpg

I think this is a very thoughtful idea. I can,t contribute, but your heart is certainly in the right place.

After our awful pasta dinner at Port Royale tonight (very limited selection) I was regretting our decision not to go to Disney Springs but now after reading all these posts I'm glad we didn't go!
Now if only the kids would go to bed so we can up early for the parks tomorrow!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter