Hurricane Matthew Closes WDW - Reopens Saturday, October 8th

Just got checked in at BWI. In our room now. Line was long when I got here but moved very fast. Lots of folks hanging around the lobby. Chip and Dale showed up and everyone was having a blast. Going down to eat at Flying Fish here in a bit. It and Tratorria are open from 12 to 4 serving the same buffet, no menu ordering. They have not made a call on what dinner offerings are going to be

CuLP_jFXEAA192Y.jpg:large

I just talked to my mom and brother in Orlando. It's still blowing 40 or so outside. And there's a difference between gusts of 40 and sustained 40.

Was bad early this morning, but it's getting better. Mom's got power, brother lost it at midnight. So not nearly as bad as it could have been, but bad enough.

As I read the posts with complaints about food, criticism about planning, etc., I can't help but think that if you have to be stuck somewhere Disney is a pretty good place to be stuck. Is $13 for subpar food ideal? No, but neither is a creepy roach motel on the interstate because that's all that was left.

Back to my popcorn eating and thread watching. popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::[/QUOTE

Yep. My husband got stuck at Charlotte airport during the big southern snowstorm a few years ago. First, they kicked all the stranded passengers out of one of the terminals. The general message to them was 'you're on your own.' He almost ran out of diapers for our toddler because nothing was hoping and there were very few people to ask for assistance.

I agree with others than $13 for a boxed meal seems excessively pricey.

However, it's probably never easy to figure out how to feed so many people at one time. When Hurricane Charley passed through Orlando in August 2004, we were staying at The Contemporary. Disney put on a large complimentary buffet dinner in a convention hall at the hotel for hotel guests the evening that Charley was coming.

I told my traveling companions that the last thing we wanted was to be in a line of 100s of hotel guests trying to get free buffet food. So, we went to the Contemporary quick service spot while it was still open and bought sandwiches, chips, drinks, etc. Then we hunkered down in our room, enjoyed the sandwiches, put the kids in front of the TV to watch the animated films Disney was showing and eventually went to bed. The next day we heard that the buffet was a difficult scene of hungry people trying to get at the free food and that the entire thing became completely unmanageable with many guests unable to get anything to eat.

I suspect that, given the experience with hurricanes in the past, Disney felt that box lunches at a somewhat punitive price would discourage a run on the inventory and encourage people to get food elsewhere if at all possible.

Very glad that Hurricane Matthew was not worse. There were numerous tornados with Charley including at least one on Disney property. The next morning, large trees were down everywhere on property, it was several hours before roads were cleared and Disney transportation was running, and many local homes had no roofs. There were many power outages (not at Disney, though). Even a day after the storm there was only one gas station that had power and lines for gas were very long (until they ran out of gas). A portion of the Orlando Airport roof caved in. It was pretty crazy.

We felt that overall Disney did a great job with Charley. Plenty of employees worked all through the night to ensure our safety (even though their own homes were being damaged and their own families were left alone). We always said if we ever were unfortunate enough to end up in another hurricane in Orlando we would want to be on Disney property.

Well pretty sure all four will be open tomorrow so what day are you talking about? And for resort guests only - that would be a really small group because not everyone would take advantage of it.

Liz

I'm not going to go back and search for all the posts I was referring to. It has been reported on this thread that Disney did open a park for resort guests in the past. And a rumor is that they may open WS later today.

All I replied is that it would be nice. Big deal.

Category 4 Hurricane Floyd (Sept. 15, 1999) closed WDW but turned out to be a non-event as it never made the expected landfall near Daytona (it did strike NC as a Cat 2). WDW had already announced closure of all parks, instructed hotel guests to fill the tub with water, issued flashlights and box lunches to guests, provided Disney movies for kids (and Touchstone movies for adults) on room TVs. Many CMs were unable to get in for their park positions, but Disney did open, provide transportation and free admission for all WDW Hotel guests to AK while leaving the other parks closed for that day.

AK opened in April, 1998 and we had not yet been to AK and were happy for the opportunity to enjoy the park after weathering out the storm the evening before.

Been reading through this thread for the past couple days now and it's been everything from informative to laughable. This is what makes this community such a joy to be a part of. Glad that WDW has, for the most part, come out clean. Glad that everyone posting seems to be safe, regardless of minor very insignificant complaints.

Patience is the key here as the structure and safety of everything on property is assessed to ensure that guests and CM's can move around without fear of something happening. It's not the end of the world to be stuck at your resort, or have to miss an ADR or two. Just be grateful that the World, it's employees and guests have come out unscathed.

Yea, looks like Jacksonville is getting clobbered.. and north of there will probably be really bad too.
And the eye is just level with Daytona now!!! I have family in Palm Coast in flood zone. It's actually a house my mom left me & my sister when she passed away. My Uncle is currently living there and had to evacuate. He's at my sister's who also lives in Palm Coast but on West side of 95 so out of storm surge area. I'm down in SW FL glued to weather channel praying. The worst is yet to come for the NE section of FL.

I'm not the OP, but I do not think this was meant to insult Canadians. There was a post from a Canadian saying, to most Canadians, hurricanes are unheard of and they think of them as a big wind storm. I also found it very surprising that Canadians wouldn't be aware of what hurricanes can do and the damage they cause. I understand now that the poster who said this was out of line saying most Canadian haven't heard of hurricanes.
Maybe you want to go back and re-read my post. No where did I say 'to most Canadians, hurricanes are unheard of and we think of them as big wind storms'. I said, and I quote, to most Canadians hurricanes are unheard of. No comma, which makes a big difference, and it is meant to mean that we seldom get them here, not that we don't know that they exist.

Was I out of line for saying most Canadians haven't heard of hurricanes? No because I didn't say that. Fact checking is always a bonus.

Now, time for me to disinvest. Nothing I or anyone else says will make those who think everyone should have known and been prepared, change their minds. Once a mind is closed, its closed.

Maybe you aren't getting the fact that not everyone knows what a hurricane is all about. Not sure where your from but I'm from Canada and hurricanes are pretty much unheard of. To most of us, we would think its a big wind storm with heavy rain. Buck up, its only water. I know that is what I was thinking when I was caught in Hurricane Kenna way back when in Mexico. I was very surprised at what a hurricane actually was. Also, to think that everyone on vacation is plugged in is wrong. We don't even watch tv when we are away so I would not only be unprepared but out in la la land with a hurricane warning.

As a pp said, if its a snow storm I'm ready. I know what to do and how to prepare. I would guess that there would be lots of people from down south who would think, 'Its just snow. Not going to stop me from going out to dinner'. I had more than a few guests who had that mind set.
Don't think badly of those of us who don't have the knowledge you do. It could be reversed. :flower3:

I am not going to insult anyone who has no idea what a hurricane can do, but unless someone was completely unplugged. no TV no phone and no Social media I have no idea how anyone could have pretended that this storm was a thunderstorm. I also would wonder at someones decision to g out to dinner during a blizzard warning because it is just snow.

Now I know that some folks are completely distanced from reality while on vacation, but I cannot pretend to understand being completely in the dark with this type of storm approaching. Not when folks are in lines with folks who are talking, in stored interacting with CM's who were talking. It is beyond me.

I'm canadian and live right at the border in windsor. Everything is reported and we know what a hurricane is. That's the risk you take traveling during hurricane season. We have been watching nonstop and hope everyone in its path further north is safe.

Yes

I've been following this thread since the first page. I'm glad everyone is staying safe! I was there in '05 in hurricane Wilma. They closed the parks that day but the storm got out earlier then expected and they reopened Epcot and Hollywood studios for guests. I don't want to get anyone's hopes up but if the curfew is lifted and the storm is out which it looks like it almost is some parks could be reopened. Also now that I'm older and have worked there I appreciate more how Disney handled it in '05. Our flight was cancelled that day and they accommodated us. I know everyone's experience is different and I've read both sides on this post but think about how many people are there and those cast members trying to help keep everyone safe, fed, and happy. Hats off to them.

I can't read all 70+ pages that have popped up since I was on this thread yesterday but I did scroll back through the last few. Yesterday tons of people were all upset that Disney hadn't officially closed yet and they were putting cast members in harm's way..and today I'm seeing complaints that a park isn't opening back up for the resort guests? Really? I had to postpone my trip a week, it was super stressful and disappointing, but I am not complaining. I am thankful Disney made the very best call they could to keep their guests and staff as safe as possible. You miss a park day. Get over it and be thankful you're actually at Disney instead of stuck at work like I am today, when I should be there. Geez.

From CHIP & COMPANY
http://www.chipandco.com/update-hurricane-matthews-impact-walt-disney-world-resort-250196/

Walt Disney World Resort issued a Tropical Weather Information Update this morning for current resort guests. In addition, even though no major impact or signs of damage occurred at Orlando International Airport overnight, all flights remain cancelled for today. It is hoped that flight schedules will resume by tomorrow morning, October 8th.

FOR CURRENT WALT DISNEY WORLD RESORT GUESTS
Guests staying at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel at the present time are advised to remain indoors through the duration of the storm. For more information – including important safety measures they can take, Guests should speak with the nearest Cast Member.

While we continue to take every necessary precaution throughout Hurricane Matthew, please be aware of the following – in the instance that a Guest’s vacation plans have been directly affected:

• Most Disney Resort hotel restaurants will remain open. However, if Guests wish or need to cancel or modify a dining reservation affected by Hurricane Matthew, cancellation fees imposed by Disney will be waived for all Guests.
  • In addition, Disney Resort hotel cancellation fees imposed by Disney will be waived for all Guests. For information on checking out early and/or receiving a reimbursement, Guest should visit the Front Desk of their Disney Resort hotel and a Cast Member will assist them in processing a refund for unused nights of their stay, park tickets and dining entitlements.
  • If flights home have been canceled, Guests who booked directly with the airline and the flights are being moved, we will assist in moving the Disney Resort stay (based on availability.) For Guests who booked airline travel through Walt Disney Travel Company, we will assist with obtaining another flight (based on availability) and in moving the Disney Resort stay.
  • If booked with Disney, we will waive fees to modify airline flight dates and package accommodations. For Guests who have booked a reservation on their own, we will connect them with their airline to assist with obtaining a wavier for their reservation so we can modify the land portion of their reservation.
  • If Guests need to checkout early or move the dates of stay, they can go to the Disney Resort front desk where a Cast Member can assist in processing a refund for the unused nights, tickets and dining entitlements.
  • Guests who have specific questions on Travelex® insurance coverage, can contact Travelex at 888-246-4967.
  • Best Friends Pet Care is closed through Friday, Oct. 7, 2016. A crew will remain with the animals.
  • If Guests have made FastPass+ selections that cannot be used due to the closure of our theme parks, they can modify their selections online or by using the My DisneyExperience mobile app.
  • PhotoPass Guest Support operations will be limited through Friday, Oct. 7, 2016.
Based on the most recent forecasts for Hurricane Matthew, several destinations, special events and experiences at the Walt Disney World® Resort are closed or have been cancelled.

CLOSURES, CANCELATIONS AND MORE

• All 4 Walt Disney World Theme Parks are closed through Friday, Oct. 7, 2016.
  • Disney’s Blizzard Beach® Water Park is closed through Friday, Oct. 7, 2016.
  • Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon® Water Park is closed through Friday, Oct. 7, 2016.
  • Disney Springs™ is closed through Friday, Oct. 7, 2016. Characters in Flight at Disney Springs is closed through Sunday, Oct. 9, 2016.
  • Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party has been canceled through Friday, Oct. 7, 2016. For re-booking, refunds and other options, please call 407-939-7818 beginning at 9 a.m. ET on Monday, Oct. 10, 2016. Guests under 18 years of age must have parent or guardian permission to call.
  • Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground – including our Campsites and Cabins is closed through Friday, Oct. 7, 2016. All performances of Hoop-DeeDoo Musical Revue and Mickey’s Backyard BBQ through that date have been canceled as well.
  • Disney’s Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort has been canceled through Friday evening, Oct. 7, 2016.
  • Select spa locations – including La Vida Health Club at Disney’s Coronado Resort, Senses – A Disney Spa at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, Senses – A Disney Spa at Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa and Ship Shape Massage Salon Fitness – are closed through Saturday, Oct. 8, 2016.
  • Events scheduled through Oct. 8, 2016 at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex, including the Disney Cross Country Classic 2016 and Baseball Canada National Team Fall Training sessions – have been canceled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter