Hurricane Matthew Closes WDW - Reopens Saturday, October 8th

I wasn't going to hit reply but - the tone of this post is insulting to me as a Canadian (who lives 90 minutes from the US border and who has spent countless time in your country from coast to coast) and I'm sure any other Canadians reading this thread.

Not only do we get pretty much every US tv/cable/satellite tv station that you have in the States on our cable & satellite systems - we have many stellar Canadian tv stations that often have more extensive coverage of things in the US like Katrina or Matthew then many Americans in removed areas are seeing.

Our tv reporters have passports & have been known to travel. ;)

If you are insulted by that.. Well, nevermind.. Anywho.. No, I didnt know if they did really cover it. I knew you got our channels, but "hey it's a hurricane, we can change the channel". So you are basically backing me up in the point of people from Canada should still know what hurricanes are capable of.

We're at Caribbean Beach and last night the message said Port Royale was closed until further notice but since mouse-keeping did not restock our in-room coffee yesterday my husband ventured out (we require coffee!) and it was open! Fully stocked bakery area too and they were making hot breakfasts. Kicking myself a little for buying those box lunches yesterday for today that I know my kids won't eat but the cashier did tell my husband they don't know how long the food will last (if they'll get resupplied or not) so I guess better safe than sorry!

IMG_0159.JPG

The great snow storm of 2011. They warned us, we stayed inside. Out by the mailbox there is a road out there somewhere. The mall I worked at didn't bother to report closed until a half hour before it was scheduled to open. My road was impassable until 1pm

IMG_0157.JPG

Believe it or not there is a pool out there. Snow drift was pool height for about 10 feet passed the pool wall

So when Disney tells me to stay inside my room. I'm staying in my room and giving the stink eye to those that walk past my room :)

So its not false. I have heard from people there that they have been told to stay in their room. Staying in your room equals no food or water. From what I am reading, food courts and restaurants are open for business but the message you left in the room of the parents and 3 kids who are afraid to go out tells them to stay put. Kind of a mixed message dont you think?

I do not fall into that camp but I am sure there are alot of people staying at Disney resorts who take the instructions very literally and are afraid to open the door at this point. Lets hope they didnt listen to Shep Smith because everyone outside is dead...

Staying in your room doesn't mean no food or water - guests were told to buy food and water yesterday, knowing they'd be in their rooms all day today. It's not like today everyone was all of a sudden locked in with no warning.

And actually, thousands of people are without power here.

Interesting how Disney is selling food boxes for 13 bucks.

During Hurricane Charlie I was at the Boardwalk and they were giving out free food in the lobby. They had most of the items that are in current 13 dollar box plus drinks. They even had a free hot food buffet. They just asked that you please take what you needed, no double dipping. Oh yeah they also had Disney characters walking around to calm the children (and adults). Top notch treatment by the BW CM’s.

Maybe it was because the BW doesn’t have any in house dining options everything is on the outside boardwalk?????

Does anyone have a report from the BW? Wonder if they are still doing it.

Stay safe.

Just wanted to update on extending stays- I am at Boardwalk using points, I was able to extend my stay to Monday morning using my points. Very thankful!

I'm posting from Chef Mickey's special breakfast buffet. Great buffet and effort by the CMs at the CR!!! 30% discount because of no characters and THEY SAID "limited menu" but if thats a limited menu then DANG! I thought it was great.

People are milling about, going from BLT to the CR lobby, going outside. Wind gusts but little rain. No lightning.

Characters in the lobby, games in the hallway and movies in the ballroom.

No lockdown at the Comtemporary. Plenty of food. no real lines for Contempo Cafe. The Cafe is offering one trip through the. Chef Mickety buffet for a cheaper price.

I came here to check if people were still buying those boxed lunches... from what I'd heard, those boxes were free at some resorts and cost $12.99 at others. And in the past, they've always been free.

People got their food and water yesterday. If they didn't, I guess they didn't take this storm threat seriously anyways, so they're probably out walking around. I doubt they're taking anything literally.

they are out walking around because everything at the hotel is open! People are having a lovely breakfast while some people are afraid to open the door because of the Disney message.

If you are insulted by that.. Well, nevermind.. Anywho.. No, I didnt know if they did really cover it. I knew you got our channels, but "hey it's a hurricane, we can change the channel". So you are basically backing me up in the point of people from Canada should still know what hurricanes are capable of.

As should the many people who plan a trip to Florida during hurricane season from anywhere in the world - including Americans who in some cases are just as much in the dark about how to handle it despite what they see on tv.

I was simply responding to what I bolded and the stereotypical view expressed - if you feel I was backing up your theory... well hey.

Not my meaning- safety is. I have a 35 lb Wheaton, and live right outside the MK. I'm at home, sheltering with another Wheaton and two party Yorkers 3.5 lbs and 4.2 lbs) I'm having to try and time it properly to let them out between rain and wind gusts. If there is no transportation from the Swan to the Boardwalk, how are you going to get you and your stuff there? It's a good 10 minute walk without stuff in good weather.
I did walk over. It was nothing. No rain very little wind.

During Hurricane Charlie I was at the Boardwalk and they were giving out free food in the lobby. They had most of the items that are in current 13 dollar box plus drinks. They even had a free hot food buffet. They just asked that you to take what you needed, no double dipping. Oh yeah they also had Disney characters walking around to calm the children (and adults). Top notch treatment by the BW CM’s.

You know what the difference between Charlie in 2004 and Matthew in 2016 are? Bob Iger!!

LOL sorry, I just couldn't resist!

Can you post links from reputable news sources about guests running out of water?

Here now. Last night went to Old Port Royale at Caribbean Beach. The shelves in the bakery store were stripped bare of everything, water, snacks etc. 1 1/2 hour line to get a box or other QS meal. However, the shelves of drinks and snacks inside the gift store remained stocked as few knew they were there.

I think you missed the crux of what I said. I wasn't suggesting that Disney should have held a "50% off" sale in their food courts and mini-marts. Unless I am mistaken, they normally don't have "box lunches" (in their various configurations) on the menu. This was an idea that was cooked up in response to the emergency. Part of that planning discussion would have been the pricing. The decision to go "full Disney" on the pricing of these emergency food items was a goodwill opportunity missed.
I didn't misunderstand. They boxed up to serve fast knowing that many would be in the line. It's easier to ring up and serve as 1 item. They were under no obligation to goodwill out any discounts on food. Guests would have been eating if there wasn't a storm, and possibly even spending more. They did what they did to serve as fast as they could.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter