Hurricane Irma?

This is an excellent point. Disneyland is just a plane ride away in the opposite direction. I've seen a number of posts on the DL board in recent days from people ditching Florida and heading for sunny California. Lots of Disney magic to be had, without the stress of hurricanes, curfews and canceled flights.
Our trip was scheduled from this past Thursday to fri. I already rescheduled the airfare for myself and the kids to Orlando and I have to work this week now so I can take the week of the 25th off. Wish I would have thought of that before everything was rearranged.

Fled my Naples home when Gov Scott said , escape if it's possible, just before the area /community was mandatory. So thankful and Blessed we were able to get additional family from east coast/+pet who traveled with us.
I'm praying our home/town is there when we can safely return. It's been exhausting physically and mentally.
The situation of no gas/hours long gas lines, limited supplies and non stop hours of 5 mph crawling along, with attempts at detouring takes its toll on ur body and mind. Add in the overbooked hotels/motels.. I am blessed with a bro. up north that tracked the storm progress/navigating us thru the states and secured safe shelter for us. It was no easy task with rooms at capacity. We were able to navigate further north then west as lodging could not extend dates.
We are safely situated now (expected tropical storm winds/rain are ok by me)

PRAYING for those who decided they d ride it out and/or waited too long to evacuate.
Please keep Florida in your thoughts and prayers. The waiting is no easy task! Be Safe!

I know there are a few others posting in this thread about actual conditions at/near WDW. Just thought I'd contribute, from my house about 2 miles to the northwest of Cinderella's castle. Right now, 8:00 am Sunday, we only have some drizzle and very light winds. Heavy overcast. Expecting the worst to begin much later today.

I know there are a few others posting in this thread about actual conditions at/near WDW. Just thought I'd contribute, from my house about 2 miles to the northwest of Cinderella's castle. Right now, 8:00 am Sunday, we only have some drizzle and very light winds. Heavy overcast. Expecting the worst to begin much later today.
I'm in the wdw resorts til we fly out on Wednesday.

So, I've been checking every day and my reservation was still on line, even after calling to cancel Thursday. It was for check in today. I finally called just now and it was not cancelled for some reason. So, when I called I asked to speak to an agent (lots of hoops to get there because they have closed their call centre and are operating on minimal staff), I'm glad I did because she could see it also and finally it got cancelled. I stayed on line with her and it was gone within a minute. Hopefully they were not holding the room and it can go to someone who needs it today.

We (me and the kids and now my mom) are rescheduled to go Sept 25th. So yes I still get my Disney Trip but as my previous post mentioned, there is a lot more to it related to the time we would have spent at Disney as a family and fulfilling my dreams (see previous post so this make sense).

My husband is not a Disney fan. We have gone yearly for the last 12 years and it got to the point where he didn't wanted to go anymore, even though my children and I still loved going. This year when we went, he did not go to any parks at all. He stayed at the resort during the day, stayed at the pool, worked out and golfed a few times and then at night we would all go to dinner at night. We also spent time together during the day at the resorts. It was the best vacation yet because we were not dragging someone into the parks who really didn't want to be there and he has a stressful job and just relaxing most of the time is fine with him. I am glad to see that your mom is going with you. I know your dh won't be there but try not to focus on that, try to focus on just getting a much needed break and watching your children enjoy the Disney magic. Is there anyway your husband can fly in for a few days? With magical express, it's easy to get back and forth from the airport. Have a great time.

Did you actually watch it? It's the local FOX affiliate. They talk specifically about Orlando and the wind speeds and when it's expected to go through. There's nothing happening in Orlando right now.
It looks very, very scary, especially with the tornado possiblilites. :(

I just want to vent for a moment. I hope it's ok. I've been in this thread since page 39. It definitely relates to irma.

Foreword - (What I am upset about doesn't compare to the negative impact in people's daily lives that will be or have been affected by the storm. I know this. Most things we get upset about in life are small when compared to someone's elses turmoil in life. However, it's human nature to still feel sadness and disappointment over things that affect us in a negative way in our own lives no matter how small in comparison.)

I have been looking forward to this Disney trip for 3 years. My husband is not a Disney nut and we have agreed to go every 3 years. The last time we were there was in 2014. Ever since I was a little girl, I've dreamed of going with my own family. I remember seeing families at Disney and thinking I can't wait to be that family someday.

We have a 4 year old daughter and a 17 month old son. Lately, things haven't been great between me and my husband. We have had a lot of stressors. We havent done much as a family and havent been on vacation in 2 years. This trip was my light at the end of the tunnel.

Fast forward to Thursday. We are packed and on our way to the airport when we see the latest euro model and painfully cancel. I was able to reschedule but now my husband cannot go because of work obligations (he's self employed). I am devastated. I have been crying on and off since. We needed this vacation. Now it will be a year or two before we can go again as a family. Tomorrow is our 6 year anniversary and all we have been doing is arguing.

So with all that, I would just like to say, I hate you Irma!

Og honey...HUGS! I know exactly how you feel. We are small business owners too and it takes and act of Congress for us to arrange time off. And when we do get coverage, we still lose a TON of money being closed. There is no PTO. I work 7 days a week, 365 days a year and I work two jobs. I never get a day off. Vacations are my only break. So yeah, I was crushed to have to cancel.

I feel terribly for the devastation from the storm too.

You have both my sympathy and my empathy!

Watching the news - really hoped the storm would hit land and break up / weaken. Keeping you all in our prayers. Those of you there now stay safe!

any locals have updates as to what's going on in Orlando and whats expected and when? I have friends in Oviedo and they said they're only about 40 minutes away

I'm just to the West of Orlando, and nothing is happening right now. It's been raining on and off since last night, it's really overcast and dark out, but no real wind.

We live in Avon Park, about an hour south of WDW in Highlands County. The gusts and heavy rain began about an hour ago and we expect it to get progressively worse throughout the day. Stay safe everyone!!!

I think that was the opposite of the point, though. She says "he kept saying 'I never thought I'd have to say this but...'" He only finally broke down and told tourists to leave because until that point, he thought tourists would figure out on their own that they didn't need to be there.
I took it totally differently. I took it to mean he thought it would never be so bad that he'd ever have to ask tourist to not come. Or to leave. Your interpretation is sort of using snark on the tourist by the Mayor. I wouldn't expect to ever see one do that. Not saying who's right. Just showing a different way to interpret the same exact words

The latest tracks appear to have Orlando being spared the hurricane force winds. Storm is projected to mainly stay on the west coast. Everywhere is gonna feel something obviously. But Orlando is looking at 58 mph or so winds. Disney can rejoice. Tampa sadly cannot.
Which is the point I was trying to make yesterday (and badly as I was on my phone and struggling to type and tired too).
Each move to the West put Orlando one more move away from the cone. The more it moved the cone has finally moved most out of Orlando, though still on the fringes and still not in the clear. Because the east side is still where a lot of the bad weather is. But, each move west also meant worse things for Tampa.

Last edited:
We're scheduled Tues PM MCO to CMH - not cancelled yet. Hoping we booked late enough that they're still able to get that flight out. Really not wanting to stay another day :/

Southwest Flight Cancellations on Tuesday,

Sw says they have cancelled flights on Tuesday to allow their employees time to get their families safe again. We were Originally scheduled to leave Sunday, but then rescheduled tuesday. Now Wednesday. Everyone might already know this.
My SW flight for Tuesday is still on. I haven't received any cancellation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter