Hurricane Irma?

IMO, it's still too early yet to hit the full "fire alarm" button. Be alert and aware, yes. Start formulating some contingency thoughts? Yes. But it's still too far out to really get a good handle on what's going to happen. Give it another 48 hours or so and they'll have a much better idea.

Living in Atlanta, I'm definitely keeping an eye on it now, as spaghetti models have it coming up through GA, but still far too far out to know for sure. I also have to watch this like a hawk because of my work. I'm in auto insurance claims, and will be responsible for planning/coordinating our response to the hurricane, so I'm now on full watch mode. But nothing in action quite yet...holding until late tomorrow or Thursday.

Question: Just went to Moana Mercantile and there was plenty of food like bread, cheese, etc. Are folks going to be stocking up on food from the resorts? Should I go ahead and grab a loaf and some peanut butter and a few other things? I'd rather not, but I'd also rather not stand in line for a $10 sandwich box if this thing swings our way.

Another question: just trying to plan since it looks like it could possibly really come close. Should we park our van at Disney Springs parking garage if it looks like it's headed close?

Question: Just went to Moana Mercantile and there was plenty of food like bread, cheese, etc. Are folks going to be stocking up on food from the resorts? Should I go ahead and grab a loaf and some peanut butter and a few other things? I'd rather not, but I'd also rather not stand in line for a $10 samdwich box if this thing swings our way.

nothing wrong with being over prepared then NOT being prepared and having to pay crazy money for some sandwich boxes.

We evacuated to BR for Katrina and never left, so the opposite! I'm actually outside of the flood area, so we aren't worried about that. Now these oak trees in my backyard make me very nervous I won't lie. Good luck!!
Thanks! Same to you!

There's no point panicking, although easier said than done. By the time you arrive on Thursday, we'll have a much better idea of where the storm is going to hit, and how much it will impact Central Florida (if it impacts the area at all). The main thing you'll need to do is get out and get supplies: water, batteries, non-perishable food items, etc, so that if a curfew is put in place and you can't leave your villa, you will be well stocked. If you're traveling with kids, make sure you have things for them to do that don't need electricity, in case the power goes out. Just keep an eye on things.

I think my panicking is definitely more to do with the unknown as I'm a Brit so we never see anything like this. all we hear about is the devestation it leaves, which of course makes me fear for my life. I'll try not to worry too much and we'll be shopping on Thursday afternoon, here's hoping Walmart ain't been picked clean

We are set to fly out tomorrow afternoon and fly home Sunday at 5:00. This is an anniversary trip just for the two of us. Our anniversary is on Friday. I have been following this thread since it started but DH doesn't want to hear about it. He just wants to go with the flow. I have a bunch of things booked that we have never done before like a wine tasting for food and wine, a massage at GF, keys to the kingdom tour , the dessert party and the DVC AK event. What are current projections for what day storm could hit Orlando. Trying to decide to either switch flights or make a hotel reservation for Sunday and maybe Monday night?

From what I'm seeing (and this could change so much between now and then), Central Florida might see the beginnings of the effects Sunday afternoon, with the worst of it hitting Sunday night and into Monday. It's up to you to decide whether you want to change things, you might want to just wait and see what the projections show in the next 24 hours. If it looks like it will hit Central Florida in that time frame, I would either move your flight to Sunday morning, or prepare to be there Sunday night and potentially Monday night. But really, I think it's still too early to tell.

I think my panicking is definitely more to do with the unknown as I'm a Brit so we never see anything like this. all we hear about is the devestation it leaves, which of course makes me fear for my life. I'll try not to worry too much and we'll be shopping on Thursday afternoon, here's hoping Walmart ain't been picked clean

I'm British too, although I've lived in Central Florida for the last ten years. My parents are here at the moment and they seem to think it will just be some wind and rain, I had to show them YouTube videos of what a Cat 5 hurricane actually looks like! We have family flying in from the UK Friday as well, including a 6-week old baby, and they're starting to panic too. It's hard to know what to expect when it's not weather that you're used to. Just get some supplies in, and know that the worst of it will only last a day or two.

I am very confused as I've never fololwed a hurricane before. We were set to arrive Thursday evening, and depart Monday 4pm. Can someone please help me and tell me if we would be in a better advantage to leave tomorrow and return Sunday morning instead, based on the forecasted timing?

Question: Just went to Moana Mercantile and there was plenty of food like bread, cheese, etc. Are folks going to be stocking up on food from the resorts? Should I go ahead and grab a loaf and some peanut butter and a few other things? I'd rather not, but I'd also rather not stand in line for a $10 sandwich box if this thing swings our way.

I would think some would stock up, but it is likely that many of the folks there right now will be leaving before the hurricane hits, that's probably why there is plenty of food.

I personally would grab some bread and peanut butter and chips. It was a mad house last hurricane getting food. Hours in line for a sloppy sandwich and an apple. No thanks. I would rather be prepared.

Last edited:
Current view at my local gas station. Get your gas filled up while you can. Gas prices will likely just continue to rise

IMG_1732.JPG

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but with the 'potential' of a Cat 5 hitting FL, and having to make a decision now instead of later in the week, I would personally be heading away, not to, Orlando. Mother nature can change quickly, true, but most 'all' models are showing straight up FL.

Disney is great doing whatever they can, but they definitely don't have a bubble to keep damage from storms away (they deal great with minor storms/damages which most are counting on). Disney has not ever taken a real bad hit, but not immune.

Just thinking if you just 'get' there, you'll be fine with a day shut in with rain/wind may be the least scenario. Have gone through some bad ones in S. LA - but 'lived' there, didn't choose to go there and put myself in harms way. Sure hope all stay safe (can understand the disappointment of lost vacations - been there), but I would not head to an area with a Cat 5 on the horizon - especially if you can't wait until Fri/Sat to make your decision.

Live in Miami. Really considering shuttering up the house and driving to Georgia. This is a real one.

Yeah that's what I would do. I'm in NJ and I already have a pet-friendly hotel picked out way inland, if another Sandy-type storm ever comes up this way. It was such misery, the flooding and not having power for that long (weeks)

Called Disney and Hurricane Policy is in effect, they are not playing around with this storm. We are moving our trip into October or November as it is just not worth it to me to spend all this money and deal with rain and sitting in hotel with a storm of that magnitude.
Thank you so much for posting! This makes it easier on those of us who arrive before Thursday. I will give it another 12 or so hours before I cancel and hope for the best.

Has anyone with Free Dining tried to cancel or reschedule their trip through Disney yet (or at least inquired with them for info)? Or have you in the past over hurricanes? I'm wondering how that works. We are scheduled to be there the 8th-20th, driving 9 hours one way. Thanks! :)
Per the Disney website:
Q.

I received a special offer when I booked my vacation with the Walt Disney Travel Company. If a hurricane warning is issued within 7 days of my arrival date and I reschedule, will I get the same special offer?

A.

Only if an identical special offer is available for your rescheduled vacation dates. All amounts you paid to the Walt Disney Travel Company for rooms, park tickets, dining plans and other Disney products and services will be applied toward your new reservation.

Any discounts or special offers applicable to your original confirmed vacation may not apply to the rescheduled vacation travel dates. You are responsible for applicable package pricing for the new vacation dates.

This policy does not apply to certain special events and dining experiences.

Last hurricane that came people were waiting in 2 hour lines for a $10-15 sandwich box that some came with a bag of chips, some didn't.

Me personally, if I'm in that situation and I'm thinking that's going to happen again, then I would grab a loaf of bread and whatever you'd want to eat. I wouldn't want to wait in a line and pay $10 for a $1.50 meal

Still no models are showing higher than 40-50mph for Orlando. IF the parks shut on Sunday, would they remain closed on Monday if the highest wind speed was 40mph but prior to 5am?

Thank you so much for posting! This makes it easier on those of us who arrive before Thursday. I will give it another 12 or so hours before I cancel and hope for the best.

Per the Disney website:
Q.

I received a special offer when I booked my vacation with the Walt Disney Travel Company. If a hurricane warning is issued within 7 days of my arrival date and I reschedule, will I get the same special offer?

A.

Only if an identical special offer is available for your rescheduled vacation dates. All amounts you paid to the Walt Disney Travel Company for rooms, park tickets, dining plans and other Disney products and services will be applied toward your new reservation.

Any discounts or special offers applicable to your original confirmed vacation may not apply to the rescheduled vacation travel dates. You are responsible for applicable package pricing for the new vacation dates.

This policy does not apply to certain special events and dining experiences.

Is it that easy to move dates? Just wondering in case this ever happens to us (god forbid) - if you wanted to move your dates to October, do they have availability set aside for situations like this?

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but with the 'potential' of a Cat 5 hitting FL, and having to make a decision now instead of later in the week, I would personally be heading away, not to, Orlando. Mother nature can change quickly, true, but most 'all' models are showing straight up FL.

Disney is great doing whatever they can, but they definitely don't have a bubble to keep damage from storms away (they deal great with minor storms/damages which most are counting on). Disney has not ever taken a real bad hit, but not immune.

Just thinking if you just 'get' there, you'll be fine with a day shut in with rain/wind may be the least scenario. Have gone through some bad ones in S. LA - but 'lived' there, didn't choose to go there and put myself in harms way. Sure hope all stay safe (can understand the disappointment of lost vacations - been there), but I would not head to an area with a Cat 5 on the horizon - especially if you can't wait until Fri/Sat to make your decision.

I agree. It's one thing to already be there and stuck dealing with it. You could not pay me to fly or drive into Florida this weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter