• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Huge cockroach in our room....

Ahhh I'm glad I'm not the only one! We never found it, almost switched rooms but I felt bad making my husband pack up and move so I sucked it up...which wasn't easy! Those things are way too big for comfort!
You are a brave soul.

Eek. They are gross to see but more common than you’d think. If it’s freaking you out.. you can ask ( tho no guarantee) a room change? I mean .. it’s ur vacation, if you can’t sleep, call.
Good luck.
Ugh you poor thing! I HATE bugs, and I live in Florida, so the struggle is real. If I run across one, there is NO sleep for anyone in my house until a corpse has been produced (none of this “I got it, I got it, it’s gone, no worries!” garbage. I need confirmed kills) I don’t think asking for a new room is extreme at all.
Ahhh I'm glad I'm not the only one! We never found it, almost switched rooms but I felt bad making my husband pack up and move so I sucked it up...which wasn't easy! Those things are way too big for comfort!
Good. Moving is futile. Odds of one in the new room is equally as great as the odds you won't see another in the room you are in.

They are huge and icky but, thanks to the rare cold temps, common as an ant. And as unavoidable and impossible to keep out 100%

When I was staying at a very upscale hotel in NYC last year I went into the bathroom only to see a "roach" that was huge - looked like the palmetto bug but this was New York in cold weather - lol! I wouldn't have thought twice about it in Florida but...what the heck? Had to be a roach right? I closed the door and reopened it with bug killing tools in hand but could never find it - I'm guessing they can move through the room vents.:crazy2:

Water bugs up here. I don’t think ours fly.

Welcome to Florida!

What Is a Palmetto Bug?
The term “palmetto bug” is a general name commonly used to refer to several species of cockroachesin the southern U.S. and even some beetles. Other cockroach names are “waterbug” or “Croton bug.” Unfortunately, these names can lead to confusion and misidentification, since any moderate- to large-sized cockroaches and even beetles are often called these by the public. Since habits and control measures often are species-specific, it is best to consult a pest control professional who can properly identify the species and then select control measures.

Palmetto Bug vs. Cockroach
A cockroach species commonly called a “palmetto bug” is the American cockroach (Periplanetaamericana). Adult American cockroaches are large and winged. Their coloration is dark brown with a cream-colored prothorax that has dark markings that resemble sunglasses. American cockroaches prefer damp conditions and often are found in sewers, woodpiles and mulch. They will fly to lights. This particular behavior is disconcerting for homeowners who encounter a large roach that flies near their face when entering doors with lights nearby in the evening.

This just brought back memories of our 2013 trip at POR. We had one in our room and those things are FAST!! Me, my best friend and her DD were in a 2nd floor Royal Room and all 3 of us hate bugs with a passion! We were screaming and dramatic (as we normally are with bugs LOL) and couldn't find it. We did call the front desk and they were very helpful and sent someone up and he tore the whole room apart but couldn't find it either. They did put us in another room right down the hall so we very happily packed up and switched. It was the last night of our trip, so we were packing up anyway to leave the next morning.

I am originally from Pennsylvania. We never saw cockroaches there and my mother always said it was a sign that your house was dirty if you had them. LOL.... Once I moved to coastal Georgia I found out they are everywhere down here and they really don't care if your house is dirty or not! And man they get big here like all the insects. And my mom sure was wrong.

We are in all star movies, love bug building, Third floor.
Dear lord. I hate bugs! Terrified of them! I’m at AS Movies right now too. toy story ground floor. I hope I dont see any, cause I really don’t know what I’d do. Where I’m from we don’t have those bugs either.

Ugh you poor thing! I HATE bugs, and I live in Florida, so the struggle is real. If I run across one, there is NO sleep for anyone in my house until a corpse has been produced (none of this “I got it, I got it, it’s gone, no worries!” garbage. I need confirmed kills) I don’t think asking for a new room is extreme at all.
Hahahaha :rotfl: I’m dying over here. This is hilarious cause I’m the same way. I need to see the corpse.

I keep a can of Raid on my nightstand at home and have a nightlight - not because I am afraid of the dark, but if a bug comes in, I want to know where to aim the spray. Our house is sprayed very well, so I usually only see dead ones, but I want to be prepared. If I knew there was a live one around I would shroud myself with the bed sheet before sleeping so I wouldn’t feel it if it walked on me in the night. I hate bugs!

I would have contacted the front desk, so they could treat the area. All commercial buildings in Florida are treated (if they know what is good for them) but when it’s getting close time for the monthly treatment you might see one. So I would have wanted them to be aware that they needed to treat.

If you see one in the open, there’s probably at least 10,000 more in the walls, making more bugs. Since it’s a hotel, I’d guess that there’s millions in the whole building.

I'm from a place that doesn't have large bugs like this so it really freaks me out. So at this point should I just try to forget about it? I don't want it crawling on me while I'm sleeping!

You must be from Massachusetts

Every year our city fumigates the sewer system to kill all the cockroaches. Sounds like a good idea right? Problem is that on that day the roaches try to escape by crawling up lines into everyone's homes. Then end up all over the shower, bathtub, sinks etc. If the city announced in advance when they would do this we'd remember to close all drains before hand. Hate that time of year!!

Every year our city fumigates the sewer system to kill all the cockroaches. Sounds like a good idea right? Problem is that on that day the roaches try to escape by crawling up lines into everyone's homes. Then end up all over the shower, bathtub, sinks etc. If the city announced in advance when they would do this we'd remember to close all drains before hand. Hate that time of year!!

Wow.

Calling the front desk will get you a call center offsite somewhere. You can walk to the front desk, but there isn't much they can do about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter