Huge cockroach in our room....

PDettorre

Earning My Ears
We are currently staying at all star movies and I came back from the parks tonight, opened the draw for a cup, and found a cockroach the size of my palm in there .My husband tried to get it but it ran off and we can't find it. I am absolutely terrified of bugs and currently won't get off the bed .Husband wants me to call the front desk but I don't think they will do anything. Anyone even have this issue and if so, did the front desk help you at all?

Those large cockroaches are all over the area, and live, and prefer to be, outside. There really isn't anything that the front desk can do for bugs that wander in from outside. Now, if it were one of the smaller German cockroaches I would be more concerned, as those do live inside and if you see one there are many many others. But the larger cockroaches are very different. They are certainly startling though if you aren't accustomed to them, I still remember my first encounter.

Those large cockroaches are all over the area, and live, and prefer to be, outside. There really isn't anything that the front desk can do for bugs that wander in from outside. Now, if it were one of the smaller German cockroaches I would be more concerned, as those do live inside and if you see one there are many many others. But the larger cockroaches are very different. They are certainly startling though if you aren't accustomed to them, I still remember my first encounter.
I'm from a place that doesn't have large bugs like this so it really freaks me out. So at this point should I just try to forget about it? I don't want it crawling on me while I'm sleeping!

Palmetto bugs...the only thing I don't miss about home. I am from Charleston (where they are prevalent) and now live in TN.
OP, I am terrified of the things. Snakes and spiders, no problem. Palmetto bugs on the other hand give me nightmares. If DH couldn't find it and squash it dead and flush it down the toilet, I'd be moving to a different room. No way I could sleep knowing it is in there somewhere. :scared:

We are currently staying at all star movies and I came back from the parks tonight, opened the draw for a cup, and found a cockroach the size of my palm in there .My husband tried to get it but it ran off and we can't find it. I am absolutely terrified of bugs and currently won't get off the bed .Husband wants me to call the front desk but I don't think they will do anything. Anyone even have this issue and if so, did the front desk help you at all?

As others say, Palmetto bug.
Not cockroach as in the nasty heavy multiplying kind.
As scared of you as you are them.
Common and not too much you can do about it.
If they send someone out they will just look around ...
Likely in moist areas like bathroom, under cabinets ...
Probably not in your bed.
Not much else to do other than kill it.

Just curious .......... which hotel and what floor are you on?

Eek. They are gross to see but more common than you’d think. If it’s freaking you out.. you can ask ( tho no guarantee) a room change? I mean .. it’s ur vacation, if you can’t sleep, call.
Good luck.

Ugh you poor thing! I HATE bugs, and I live in Florida, so the struggle is real. If I run across one, there is NO sleep for anyone in my house until a corpse has been produced (none of this “I got it, I got it, it’s gone, no worries!” garbage. I need confirmed kills) I don’t think asking for a new room is extreme at all.

Palmetto bugs...the only thing I don't miss about home. I am from Charleston (where they are prevalent) and now live in TN.
OP, I am terrified of the things. Snakes and spiders, no problem. Palmetto bugs on the other hand give me nightmares. If DH couldn't find it and squash it dead and flush it down the toilet, I'd be moving to a different room. No way I could sleep knowing it is in there somewhere. :scared:
Ahhh I'm glad I'm not the only one! We never found it, almost switched rooms but I felt bad making my husband pack up and move so I sucked it up...which wasn't easy! Those things are way too big for comfort!

As others say, Palmetto bug.
Not cockroach as in the nasty heavy multiplying kind.
As scared of you as you are them.
Common and not too much you can do about it.
If they send someone out they will just look around ...
Likely in moist areas like bathroom, under cabinets ...
Probably not in your bed.
Not much else to do other than kill it.

Just curious .......... which hotel and what floor are you on?
We are in all star movies, love bug building, Third floor.

Ugh you poor thing! I HATE bugs, and I live in Florida, so the struggle is real. If I run across one, there is NO sleep for anyone in my house until a corpse has been produced (none of this “I got it, I got it, it’s gone, no worries!” garbage. I need confirmed kills) I don’t think asking for a new room is extreme at all.
That's how I am too, confirmed kill or it's still alive in my head. We almost asked for a new room but I know the hotel was pretty booked and I felt bad making my husband pack up and move, so I pretty much tried to forget about it and slept with one eye open.

When I was staying at a very upscale hotel in NYC last year I went into the bathroom only to see a "roach" that was huge - looked like the palmetto bug but this was New York in cold weather - lol! I wouldn't have thought twice about it in Florida but...what the heck? Had to be a roach right? I closed the door and reopened it with bug killing tools in hand but could never find it - I'm guessing they can move through the room vents.:crazy2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter