HS Toy Story Mania: [Merged Threads]

I have a quick question about the ride. My DS (6) does not like wearing glasses at all. Will he be able to get alot out of the ride or is it bad without the glasses?
Without glasses he will not get the 3D effect any thing may be blurred.
here's another question (don't want to read through entire thread)--are there "guns" that are pushbutton rather than the pull string? my friend's son cannot do a repetitive motion like the pull string.
There is only one with a pushbutton, and it is in the wheelchair position only. Note that if there is nobody in a wheelchair that position does have a regular seat.
Did you have to request the CC or was it in all ride vehicles? I truely hope it is in all vehicles since I will also have to use the Handicapped access with my wheelchair.
I'm fairly sure that it is available in all vehicles and can be turned on when requested.

I didn't get to experience this attraction as after watching the vehicles from the w/c line, I realized the "whipping" motion would hurt my neck or cause me to lose my balance ( poor trunk control). As an FYI, service dogs are NOT allowed for much the same reason- too intense. My son did ride and thought it was lots of fun- much improved from Buzz Lightyear's SR Spin. On the day we were there the accessible line took much, much longer than the regular queue line due to the volume of guests with ECV's, etc. in that line.---Kathy

i am hoping that they get better at moving the line along... i realize lots of ECVs have to go over there, but people in ECVs DONT need the wheelchair car most of the time. So they should be pulling in a regular car all the time to load people who just cant do stairs...

well, they will get better with time. *hopes*

i am hoping that they get better at moving the line along... i realize lots of ECVs have to go over there, but people in ECVs DONT need the wheelchair car most of the time. So they should be pulling in a regular car all the time to load people who just cant do stairs...

well, they will get better with time. *hopes*

I agree. I can't do stairs but I can transfer to a regular car with Dh's help. I'm a little disappointed with how this line works. You would think that it being a brand new ride that they could have made this aspect run smoother. :confused3

Kimba

I agree. I can't do stairs but I can transfer to a regular car with Dh's help. I'm a little disappointed with how this line works. You would think that it being a brand new ride that they could have made this aspect run smoother. :confused3

Kimba

i use my personal chair, but i plan on transferring, like always. most people in park chairs or ECVs can probly transfer (after all, how did they get to the rental spot anyway? - i know this doesnt hold true for everyone, but most people probly have a bad knee or ankle or are just older and unable to walk too far, but can sit up on their own in a regular car). disney just needs to make it very easy to get in a car for those of us who don't need to wait for the wheelchair car.

i dont go til december, so i assume that things will get smoother as time goes on

How many stairs are there? I can handle some stairs, just not doing a ton of them all day long, occasionally if I do them anyway, that is the last thing that I can do that day, so I will tell them that in an emergency I can handle stairs, but it is difficult for me to do them all of the time.

Also, does anyone have pictures of the stairs?

At first this setup sounded like the new configuration for Space Mountain at Disneyland; however, after reading the reviews I think there are a few important differences:
  1. Space Mountain allows those that can't handle the stairs to use FastPass, let them know when loading, they will put you in the front row and allow you to exit to where there are no stairs.
  2. Space Mountain's Wave area allows unlimited time to load/unload, what they do is when the ADA vehicle is ready to go, they switch it out with a regular vehicle, this allows it enter/exit the track at any time.
  3. Space Mountain provides an area that people can sit down when the ADA line is too long and people that are not in a wheelchair, but have some special needs cannot use the FastPass line for whatever reason.
Again this is for Space Mountain at Disneyland after the major refurbishment, not WDW.

Photos of the stairs are on page 4 of this thread. There are a bunch of stairs going up, a little platform, and a similar/same number of stairs going back down - all in a crowd of ppl, from how the photo shows it, not a single or double line.

Photos of the stairs are on page 4 of this thread. There are a bunch of stairs going up, a little platform, and a similar/same number of stairs going back down - all in a crowd of ppl, from how the photo shows it, not a single or double line.
::yes::
There are picture in post #52 on page 4 of this thread (I don't want to use up bandwidth reposting the pictures).

The pictures on that post are from the photo page of the wdwinfo part of the DIS site. You can more pictures there also.

This is an excerpt from my current Trip report. I hope this helps people that want to see the accessibility:

We finally got up to the front and were waiting for the accessible vehicle. They informed us that there are 2 of them and it shouldn’t be that long.

5f6f99c0.jpg

The accessible vehicle moves off the main line over to the accessible loading area. Here it is:

b05adb9e.jpg

Here is the ramp that comes out:

ce68475f.jpg

This is the part they take out so the wheelchair can load. The colorful blocks are where they store the part when a wheelchair user is riding in the accessible vehicle:

28c59769.jpg

873c4ec2.jpg

I love how it felt like we were small in this huge room:

f4218ab8.jpg

We had an amazing time, we were laughing so much. The “gun” has a little pull string to reload. The wheelchair accessible one has that, but also has a “cheat button” on top of the gun the rider can press if they aren’t able to use the pull string. I was so happy about this because Bill can’t use his right hand. It does jerk you around a bit and spins, we loved it. We got off and couldn’t stop giggling. Here are pictures when we were exiting:

3995ccb9.jpg

422dbdda.jpg

0fbb98db.jpg

5e92e887.jpg

thanks for the pictures. Do you mind if I use them when I make a FAQs thread for the Studio?

Feel free to use them Sue. I want people to feel at ease that they will be able to enjoy the ride.

Feel free to use them Sue. I want people to feel at ease that they will be able to enjoy the ride.
thanks. your pictures were great.
I have lots of plans for things to do to make things easier for people to know what things are like.

The info. and photos are great, but I guess I'm still a little confused :headache: I can transfer from my wheelchair to the ride vehicle, does that mean they can pull over any ride vehicle to accomodate me so that I do not need to take up the wheelchair vehicle? We will be a group of 6 and my issue is standing and loading into a moving ride vehicle, for example on HM I have the worst time unless they slow it wayyyy down when I get on and off. My husband helps me of course, but it's still not easy. I love the way they load Kali River Rapids, as was mentioned earlier, no pressure and it is completely stopped so it makes things so much better. So, I'm just curious if that's what this means, they can pull over any ride vehicle into the loading area and it is completely stopped where we can get on...and then will they pull that same ride vehicle over to that area to unload, if I'm NOT using the wheelchair ride vehicle. THANK YOU!!

The info. and photos are great, but I guess I'm still a little confused :headache: I can transfer from my wheelchair to the ride vehicle, does that mean they can pull over any ride vehicle to accomodate me so that I do not need to take up the wheelchair vehicle? We will be a group of 6 and my issue is standing and loading into a moving ride vehicle, for example on HM I have the worst time unless they slow it wayyyy down when I get on and off. My husband helps me of course, but it's still not easy. I love the way they load Kali River Rapids, as was mentioned earlier, no pressure and it is completely stopped so it makes things so much better. So, I'm just curious if that's what this means, they can pull over any ride vehicle into the loading area and it is completely stopped where we can get on...and then will they pull that same ride vehicle over to that area to unload, if I'm NOT using the wheelchair ride vehicle. THANK YOU!!
While I have not been on the new ride yet, I have read and can see from the pictures that the ride comes to a complete stop for loading. The ride cars that are moving when you get on have a moving walkway in the loading area, like this picture of Buzz Lightyear shows (the edge of the moving walkway is the yellow striped area across the middle of the picture and you can see a black floor).
2590P4160110-med.JPG

You can see from this picture of the new ride that there is just floor in the wheelchair boarding area.
b05adb9e.jpg

Here's another picture of the wheelchair boarding area from above that shows the floor.
05-ride_vehiclea1.jpg

Cheshire Figment posted this earlier in this thread (the Wave is the handicapped accessible loading area):
They track each individual vehicle. If they have a fair number of people who do not have to remain in their chair on the line (such as people with ECVs or who cannot do stairs) they can bring a regulkar vehicle, time permitting, into The Wave and load that up. Since The Wave unload discharges into the regular unload, if they do this they can discharge into the regular unload and people with ECVs can easily recover their ECVs.

According to the CM I talked to there are 2 wheelchair/accessible ride vehicles. You will go through the regular queue, then will be directed to the right to go to the wheelchair/ecv line. It stops completely. There is no pressure what so ever to hurry. They can only pull the accessible vehicles into the loading area as far as I know. Don't worry about using the wheelchair vehicle, that is what they are there for. Go and have a great time!!

Hi everyone!

Just thought I would add my two cents. My son badly sprained his ankle the day before we went to WDW on June 17. His physician at the hospital was very clear on her instructions, that if he was going to Disney, he had to use a wheelchair as much as possible and keep the weight off of it. The morning we were scheduled to go to HS, he wanted to stay at the hotel for a while (he's 17 and we were at All Star Sports) and would catch up with us later. So for our first ride of Toy Story Mania, my younger sons and I went through the standby line. Wonderful area to go through and the interaction with Mr. Potato Head was so much fun! There was a lady in the line using a ECV, but I didn't see other wheelchairs. There is a final point where the stairs branch off to the left and the wheelchair line goes to the right. There are quite a bit of stairs as has been pointed out in earlier posts. I don't think my son could have handled them at all. So we went thru the standby line and I did not notice any slowing down of the ride for whatever reason.

Later in the day, my son arrived, so we rode it again. We were sent thru the fast pass line with his wheelchair. Unfortunately, you don't get to see Mr. Potato Head if you go thru this line! The fast pass line cuts thru to right where the wheelchair line is. We followed that around to an area where there were 2 parties in ECVs who could transfer, 2 in wheelchairs who could transfer, and one little boy who was in his motorized wheelchair that could not transfer. I absolutely was amazed at the cast members who were working in that area! They were wonderful!! The cars are on a side track from the main ride and come to a complete stop. The vehicle for the little boy who was wheel chair bound was very interesting to see and the cast members knew exactly what they were doing. They had the ramp out and the little boy and his dad in there in a jiffy.Very, very smooth. For the rest of us who could transfer, there really wasn't a wait. The cars seemed to be pulled for us quickly and we were brought in to the main line of cars very easily. This by far was the easiest ride for us of all of them. I would like to add that the cast members at all the rides were very, very kind and worked with us in a seamless manner. We only had difficulty at the Haunted Mansion the first time we rode it, but I'm sure that's another thread.

Thanks for the information RetroMom.
It's nice to have a report from someone who can compare the different 'pathways' into the ride.

Hope your son is feeling better:wizard:

I'm glad to hear that they can pull in regular cars too! I hate taking a wheelchair accessible car when I'm able to transfer.

Kim

Thanks for the photos of the scenery! It looks so neat! :)

I love how they made the handicapped access gate symbol a postage stamp to fit the theme and not make ppl feel like they stick out!

THANKS for clarifying that for me :goodvibes

I just wanted to be sure I was understanding it correctly. Now I guess only time will tell.....depending on how long a wait there is when we arrive or if we are able to snag some Fast Passes, at least I know boarding won't be an issue!! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter