• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How tough are US schools with Missing time for Family holidays?

Children should not be pulled out of school to take vacations at their parents' convenience, but also the school should not expect familes to cancel vacations already planned because of unforeseeable changes in the school calendar including snow days and strikes.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

At the risk of sparking off a big debate I just want to respond to seashoreCM and say IMO family vacations are very important. Not every working parents schedule revolves around the school calendar, my DH has little flexiblity in when he can get time off. We try to minimize missed days but occasionally it happens. I was raised in a family that traveled and I am trying to show my children as many parts of our wonderful country as I can too. I don't think missing a few days of school is a make or break thing for most students. I am grateful my children are in a school district that is understanding to families.

Our school district in Bucks County allows for two weeks (10 days) excusable absence for whatever reason you choose. However it gets harder as they get older to miss school, middle school it really gets difficult.

I live in NJ and as I posted in a previous thread, our school district allows for a once a yr. family vacation up to 10 schoool days. I do not hear of parents taking advantage of this in any way, in fact I think most don't even know about it. I've had kids in school for 8 yrs. and have only used it once for 2 days to go to the Smithsonian Institution. This Sept I will take the kids out for the full 10 school days to go to WDW so.......we will see what kind of response comes from the teachers. We chose Sept bc. the year is just starting and in elementary grades they are still basically reviewing material learned the previous year. My kids are really good about making up the work missed from illness so it should work out.

sillyminny~ What are the attendance policies in Canada? Do they vary to the same degree as ours do here in the "States"?
As to your ? about homeschooling--I homeschool our oldest son. There are hundreds of different ways to hs and I can only speak for myself here. My son does "distance learning" from a privateschool, phsically located in California. They send the curricullum for his grade and it has to be completed within 1 year. No constraints on how to do this so a family vacation can easily be written into the schedule you customize yourself. So for him a 2 week vacation will mean that he either makes up the days on the weekends following the trip or schools farther into the summer.
Greetings from your neighbor to the south. Since I was 6yo we have frequently (about 20 times!) vacationed in Ontario so I feel a kinship to Canadians.:)

we have taken our children out of school three times for a week or two at a time. There is never a problem with teachers or school board. No problem as work is done.

When I was teaching jr high, I sent the novel we were working on with the student, as well as the math. The student always kept a journal in detail with specific ???s for each day.

I have never heard of a problem with family holidays. Families benefit from the experience. Unfortunately, not all families can afford to do this.

Our children are encouraged at the elementary level to do a presentation but we urge them not to "Brag".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter