• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How tough are US schools with Missing time for Family holidays?

sillyminny

Love Disney World. Love Survivor and Idol shows as
Very curious as our cdn schools can be quite different. Thanks for your perspective.

Every year my DD misses time from school for a family vacation. Her teachers have never had a problem with it. She is given a project to do while on vacation and then catches up on the work she missed when we return. Last May we went for 2 weeks and the school didn't put up a stink at all. She is only in fourth grade and I know it will get harder for her to make up the work when she reaches middle and high school. We'll adjust our vacation schedules when that time comes. But for now, Disney in May it is!!!

Our elementary school is very laid back about vacation. They recognize that not all families can travel during the perscribed school breaks. They believe family time is important. But they do hold our students accountable for missed work.

My DD is in her last year before middle school and we probably will try not to take her out early next year. This year she will miss just 2 days for our trip to Calif.

I have a Kindergartener and a 9th grader. Our schools have never had a problem with this at all. DD is finding it harder to pull her grades up after missing but she is an honor student and does a good job. Next year she will be in High School and I've been told it will be a lot harder so 1 1/2 WEEKS! from now will be our last long vacation during the school year for a while. We plan on making it the best yet.

I think it all depends on the schools and the teachers really.

We had my oldest two out of school (although the youngest was just in private preschool so it doesn't really matter with him. I can have him out whenever I want to... but my oldest is in 3rd grade public school) back at the beginning of the year for a few days for our vacation (it was the only time my husband could get off work for a vacation) and they really didn't give us a hard time at all (I live in Texas, btw). They wouldn't give her work to do ahead of time or on vacation though- she had to make it up when she returned. It wasn't hard for her though- a few days time and she was all caught up. But it might be hard that way for some children?
She also was asked to write a short story type thing about her vacation and share it with the class- which ofcourse thrilled her. LOL (might not thrill some children though?!?)

Next year I'm not sure if we'll have a problem or not. She's at a different school now (switched schools after that vacation because we moved to a nearby town) AND in 4th grade is when they change from having a primary teacher for the majority of the day to having a different teacher for each individual class. So if any of those teachers have a problem with it or "sticks by the books" so to speak- we may be in for a problem then. :( We'll see how it goes.

Oh and on that trip I mentioned before where the teacher had no problem with it and she caught up within a few days and still made A honor roll? We STILL got a letter in the mail saying she had missed too many unexcused days in a row and that if she missed anymore unexcused days that they would have to turn it in for truancy.
Which I really think is ridiculous. I'm her parent... I let them know so they knew darn well that my 3rd grader didn't just skip school without my knowledge (like a teenager/high schooler might). I'm quite sure it's all about the "money" because that is why they are so strict on their days here.

Oh and btw- she's also a child that hasn't missed any school days for sick/etc. She went to preschool, K, first grade and 2nd grade only missing ONE day out of all those years. Then in 3rd grade she ONLY missed those few days we took her out for vacation. So it's not like she misses a lot of days in addition to the vacation... besides the vacation only ONE day in 5yrs of school! I think that's pretty good, if you ask me. :)

In in Texas too and they are horrible about kids missing any school. Family vacations during school are a no-no. That said we took the 2 oldest out of school last Sept for a week (said I had to take care of family business out of state--which really was the truth). This year we are getting a little lucky in the our school calendar shows 2 days off in Oct so I will take them out of school the other 3.

If you home school them, how can anyone tell the difference whether they are at WDW or not???

I live in Texas too and I agree... they are strict about taking kids out of school. Last year my kids were in Kindergarten and they STILL gave me a hard time. This year we took them out again and their absences were unexcused. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will still be accepted into college someday. :rolleyes:

I think many states/schools/districts differe on policies. We have taken our 3 DD's out of school at various times for various lengths of time. Usually the longest is 1 week.

We just went in Nov. over Veteran's Day & took them out for 4 days (oldest DD is in 8th grade, youngest twins are in 5th). Twins were allowed to bring work with them. 8th grader was not given work even though I requested it. The school just would not do it.

Her school has a "homework hotline", so she called it daily for assignments & also called friends for class work & it worked out OK. Her grades did not suffer.

I recently booked another trip to WDW for the same week in Nov. 2003. It will be her first year of high school, so I am a little more concerned, especially considering the fact that she just made her schedule & will be taking honors classes. I guess it will be a real test.

Anyway, as they get older our school really frowns upon it. Part of me uinderstands, however, another part of me gets a little annoyed that a school district thinks they should be able to dictate when I take my family on vacation. JMO. :D

I think its an individual thing. I have heard that some teachers/schools do not like you doing taking kids out school for vacations.
My son is 8 and in 3rd grade, ever since he was in Kindergarten I have always taken him out of school for vacations. Last yr his 2nd grade teacher was not happy and told me it was an "unexcused abscence", I was ok with that. Heck, we were going to DisneyWorld and he took homework with him and he completed it all before going back to school. Plus he made up all his tests the week he was back and still passed the 2nd grade

This yr we are taking him out of school the 3rd week of March, his school is closed one day that week for "Teachers day". I figured it was a good week to go since hed only miss 4 days. I havent told his teacher yet because she has been complaining that attendance has been low all yr,though my son has not missed one day of school since it started. :D He has "orders" not to tell the teacher yet of his upcoming Disney vacation;)

I dont worry about the schools silly rules regarding this stuff. He is my child, and I can do what I want. Im not normally a rule breaker. But I know my son, hes a smart boy and always does his work that he takes on vacation and has never failed a grade because hes going to Disney world.

AT my son's school. any work missed due to an unexcused absence can't be made up. SOmetimes a teacher will let a student, but only for a 70. So (off the subject) what does a grade on a report card mean with that in mind?

As I just stated on a previous thread, our school district allows for Family Vacations to be counted as excusable absences. It's a shame more school districts don't allow this.

Originally posted by Verandah Man
our school district allows for Family Vacations to be counted as excusable absences. It's a shame more school districts don't allow this.

You're right, it is a shame. In fact, right now our district has 2 weeks off over the Easter/Spring break. We have taken advantage of this for quite a few years & have taken an extended vacation - always to WDW! :) We enjoy it because it is relaxing, long enough that we don't feel rushed & by the time we return home the weather is usually breaking & Spring is right around the corner.

We have been informed that in 2 years this will change & we will get one week during February & 1 week after the 3rd quarter marking period (not necessarily during Easter). One of the officials said "he really doesn't think people take 2 weeks off for vacations & this way they will get a chance to take 2 vacations now instead of only one". I know many people might like this arrangement because they could take vacations during off peak times, which is fine, but I thought it was such an ignorant & niave comment, considering the fact that he doesn't know how many people take advantage of 2 weeks, & obviously doesn't realize the costs involved in transporation. Taking 2 vacations would double the transportation cost. :mad:

Anyway, they change things around at their convenience (they want to save on heat costs during February) but they don't expect anyone to take their kids out of school for family vacations, which is what will happen if people take a week or more for their Spring vacations. I was just a little annoyed & I will be especially annoyed if they don't bring it to the taxpayers for a vote. :mad:

Anyway, thanks DISboards members for letting me vent. :(

I'd like to add just one more thought. The reason our school district allows this(excusable absences)is because they understand that some parents have employers that only allow their employees off certain times of the year, thus making summer vacations not possible.

I wish all schools were so understanding of that fact, Verandah Man. :(

Family vacations during school are a no-no. That said we took the 2 oldest out of school last Sept for a week (said I had to take care of family business out of state--which really was the truth).

How do you get away with that? I mean there is no way I could do that. My blabbermouth children (atleast the older one and probably the middle one too!) would be blabbing the minute they saw the teacher ALL about their Walt Disney World trip.
*sigh*

They are in 7th and 9th grade so they can keep their mouths shut if they want, lol. It was tough for my oldest to get caught up once we were back. So from now on I think we will miss 3 days max. This year I got lucky and they have 2 days off in Oct and Im going to take them out for the 3 other days.
I dont see why schools have to be so hard lined about this. I could see it being a prob if your family took lots of vacations but missing 5 days of school is not that horrible if you ask me.

It was very interesting reading all of these posts. I live in Northern Virginia and they don't really care for "family vacations" during the school year at all, we just took our first family vacation during the school year this January (my kids already had 2 days off so they only missed 3) but I had to ask the principal's permission to have them excused, my DD 8 is a third grader and DS 11 is a sixth grader - believe it or not my third grader had a ton more work to make up :confused: Anyways my son's principal had no problem with it, my daughter's needed a little more convincing but excused her in the end but I have to say after being in Florida in January I think I am going to have to pull them out every year so we can enjoy the "non-peak" time, I have never had such a "relaxed" vacation there! Only problem is DS 5 will also be in school next year so I will have to convince that same principal to excuse both my daughter and him :rolleyes: but I feel like the rest of you do, they are my children! Besides with all the money you spend on a Florida vacation it is nice to really enjoy it at a relaxed pace and nothing can replace that quality family time we have :D

We have traditionally had travel opportunities in April and November. Unfortunately it turns out that those are the two months that our school district has attendence sampled for funding purposes and so they really worry about the unexcused absences. I found a little known loophole that allows me to place them on temporary home-study for a period of 2-6 weeks and the school still gets credit for their attendence as long as I turn in the forms before and after the trip and the teachers fill out the assignment sheets. It turns out that I sometimes have to lengthen our trips in order to meet that 2 week criteria and get the attendence credit for the school. I was a minor local celebrity for figuring out how to do this two years ago.:smooth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter