How to make masks more tolerable-

yorkieteacher

DIS Veteran
Please don't reply "there's not a way" to this-but I was hoping to have people weigh in on what made wearing masks in the heat more tolerable. For instance, what type of mask, paper, neck gaiter, cotton. T-shirt cotton type? We are planning on wearing cooling hats and towels, and neck fans that wrap around with a fan on each side. We have purchased several different types of masks. Hoping to hear if these or similar measures help-

As a seamstress, I've sewn hundreds of masks using various techniques and styles.
2 ply premium quilter cotton (PQC)
2 ply PQC with pocket - so three layers
2 ply PQC with 1 layer of non woven interfacing
2 ply PQC with 2 layers of non woven interfacing - which is recommended.

We usually wear the first one when going grocery shopping late in the evening, by then the stores are less crowded but it's still very hot in the AC building.

Considering the parks will not be at full capacity, I think the best way to manage the heat is to take breaks when you become overheated from the masks. Go to a shaded area away from guests and take off your mask. Just remember, if it's moist/wet it simply won't be effective and will become harder to breathe through. Carry extra masks with you and replace as necessary.

If my family and I were going to the park, I would make sure to have at the very least 30 masks per person. Twenty to carry in the parks during the high heat and humidity.

As a seamstress, I've sewn hundreds of masks using various techniques and styles.

We usually wear the first one when going grocery shopping late in the evening, by then the stores are less crowded but it's still very hot in the AC building.

Considering the parks will not be at full capacity, I think the best way to manage the heat is to take breaks when you become overheated from the masks. Go to a shaded area away from guests and take off your mask. Just remember, if it's moist/wet it simply won't be effective and will become harder to breathe through. Carry extra masks with you and replace as necessary.

If my family and I were going to the park, I would make sure to have at the very least 30 masks per person. Twenty to carry in the parks during the high heat and humidity.
WOW! That is very insightful! Thank yous so much for responding with such knowledgeable advice! I had planned on taking 3-5 masks per person per day, 3 paper, 1 cooling neck gaiter, and 1 cotton with a filter pocket I have just been putting coffee filters in, with a ew extra filters. I honestly use these when I feel I am around more threatening situations- I will surely at least double up on those. I had wondered about the cooling gaiter masks that you are actually supposed to wet-

Wow 30 masks/person...I don't know how that would doable for carrying or making/purchasing...and packing...yikes that's a ton of masks.

Following along. I’ve been buying a lot of masks lately because I want ones that are comfortable and still have breathability. So far, my favorite has been a mask made of some t-shirt / jersey material. It’s soft and lightweight (still has 2 layers). My husband has to wear one everyday for work and that was his favorite right up until I bought him a Mission neck gaitor. He likes how that can just hang around his neck when he takes breaks.

I would get a mask made out of a synthetic fabric for the same reason I don’t hike wearing cotton. It’s easy to wear in the heat.

We are looking to get some neck gaitor types as my son finds those better with wearing his glasses - are those OK for use in the parks? Seems like that would be a great way to have options for both temperature as well as convenience with his glasses.

Wow 30 masks/person...I don't know how that would doable for carrying or making/purchasing...and packing...yikes that's a ton of masks.

I'm not sure what kind of masks you use and if they're washable. I think the only way to tell what is best for you and your family is to do a "Park Day Experiment". Hopefully you live in a climate comparable to Orlando and have access to an outdoor park, pack a lunch and make a day of it based on your touring plan/style.

If you plan on flying to Orlando, you'll need a mask or two, so this experiment will take place at home.
  • Some people use parking garages and take a shuttle to the airport. Does the shuttle require masks? Add that time, let's say 10 minutes.
  • Check to see if your airport requires masks, arrival time for domestic travel ~ about 90 minutes, add that time.
  • Check to see if your airline carrier requires face masks and find out how long the flight is. For me, Delta 4 hours 30 minutes if all goes well. {YMMV} X hours XX minutes.
  • So now we're in MCO, I'm not sure if it's required or recommended but let's say you plan on wearing a mask and are off to your next location/terminal, add 20 minutes.
  • No matter how you get to your resort Uber, Lyft, Magical Express I'm sure it's required to wear face masks, add 20 minutes. Or you could rent a car.
  • Add this Faux Arrival up: For me, 6 hours 50 minutes and I would have changed my mask at least twice if not three times.
  • Resort Check in and getting to your room, add 20 minutes.
Whatever your total is, try wearing your mask for this duration in your home, if it becomes damp, you'll need to replace it.

Moving onto the park, again this is just an experiment that should be done out doors, under the same condition as Orlando with high humidity and heat. We're imagining a day at the park.
  • If you're required to wear a mask in your resort and are using their transportation, put on your mask and lock the door behind you. Yes, you're wearing your mask in the car while driving to you local park.
  • Walk the trails, stop for photos, eat, drink and replace masks once they become damp. Remember you're treating this excursion as if you were in WDW or Universal and masks are required.
  • After your excursion, drive home wearing a mask and take off only when inside your home.
20/30 masks doesn't sound too high. If I only use 10 or 15 it would give me enough time before I had to wash them along with my clothes because whatever is on my mask is also on my clothes not to mention in my hair, exposed skin and shoes. Rinse your mouth and shower up!

Some people are use to packing dirty clothes in their suit cases to wash when they get home and that's fine for them. Just be sure to wear a mask maybe even a pair of gloves.

Do what's best for you and your family and have a safe and wonderful trip! :flower3:

EDIT to add:
Orlando International Airport Shares Travel Updates, Including Airline Face Mask Requirements - Link

Last edited:
I’ve been wearing a double layer cotton, with elastic over ears that I made.. ( followed a hospital site suggestion) early on.
It’s been 90 degrees and high humidity of late. It’s nearly Intolerable and I’ve felt breathing restricted. I would say bring several per person per day and be prepared to be sweaty, itchy and uncomfortable.. it just is what it is if one chooses to visit right now.
good luck!

My wife and I were in Orlando over the weekend and it was hot 93-95 degrees during the day. We had several types of masks that we used. The blue paper type, cotton home made, and n95. We wore the n95 at the airport and on the plane. When we walked to the car rental location the mask was very hot and starting to take on moisture from breathing and the humidity. This is the same thing they do at work when it is hot out. So the n95 for outside was a no go. The cotton home made mask was basically the same. It became saturated with moisture when using it outside. The relatively cheap blue paper masks that you can now buy on Amazon for about $15-$17 per 50 were the best. We walked from B hotel to Disney springs in 93 degree heat up the stairs and down the stairs of the pedestrian overpass then around DS for a couple of hours. It was hot and miserable and I sweated to the point my stay dry shirt was soaking wet. So it was exactly like not wearing a mask in the Florida heat. Seriously I barely even noticed that the mask was on. I was too focused on hot hot it was to focus on the mask. Anybody who has been there in the summer knows what I mean. The paper mask did not pick up moisture even on Sat when that was a torrential downpour in the evening. So I am buying a bunch of the paper masks for our trip in the summer.

My wife and I were in Orlando over the weekend and it was hot 93-95 degrees during the day. We had several types of masks that we used. The blue paper type, cotton home made, and n95. We wore the n95 at the airport and on the plane. When we walked to the car rental location the mask was very hot and starting to take on moisture from breathing and the humidity. This is the same thing they do at work when it is hot out. So the n95 for outside was a no go. The cotton home made mask was basically the same. It became saturated with moisture when using it outside. The relatively cheap blue paper masks that you can now buy on Amazon for about $15-$17 per 50 were the best. We walked from B hotel to Disney springs in 93 degree heat up the stairs and down the stairs of the pedestrian overpass then around DS for a couple of hours. It was hot and miserable and I sweated to the point my stay dry shirt was soaking wet. So it was exactly like not wearing a mask in the Florida heat. Seriously I barely even noticed that the mask was on. I was too focused on hot hot it was to focus on the mask. Anybody who has been there in the summer knows what I mean. The paper mask did not pick up moisture even on Sat when that was a torrential downpour in the evening. So I am buying a bunch of the paper masks for our trip in the summer.

I‘m planning on bringing a few different kinds of masks for our July trip.
Did you buy the paper ones on Amazon? I‘d love the link.

I bought a box of 50 paper masks for our July trip so it's good to hear they worked well. I'm not crazy about wearing one but I'm itching to get back so masks it is.

Packing a lot of masks would be such a drag. I can't imagine schlepping a bag full of masks. I couldn't/wouldn't do it

50 masks especially the blue ones don’t take up that much space. Nor do some KN/N95 masks.

I’d suggest taking several different styles of masks(kn/n95, blue surgical, and cotton/homemade), a neck gaiter, and a bandana or two and adjust accordingly.

You really don’t need to be swapping masks out as much as some people are suggesting. Only when you get them wet.

As for clothes, studies are showing non airborne contact is a lot harder to spread Covid. It’s even harder from soft surfaces. Unless someone sneezes or coughs directly on you transfer from clothing is unlikely. If someone sneezes or coughs on you, you have a lot more to worry about than getting Covid from you clothing.

I‘m planning on bringing a few different kinds of masks for our July trip.
Did you buy the paper ones on Amazon? I‘d love the link.
I just ordered a package of 50 paper masks on Amazon, at this link. The link is actually smile.amazon.com, which lets you donate a small portion of your purchases to your selected charity, but you can buy from amazon.com if you want.

These masks are $28.99 for 50, but they're currently offering a 5% discount off that if you click the Coupon box. I chose these masks because although they're made in China, the order is fulfilled by Amazon and I'll get them Friday instead of sometime later in June/July/August (don't ask me about the reusable masks I bought on Amazon that came from somewhere overseas and took 2 months to arrive).

even if you think with all this stuff it'd be tolerable, at a certain point you have to ask yourself if it's really worth it like this. i say no
It's worth it if it is the only chance we have to take my grandson on a vacay for him this summer after he has endured the big D, loss of contact with all his friends from school, his beloved teacher getting cancer and having a sub for most of his diminished school year anyway, and a cancelled Disney trip. So yes, I have asked myself if it is worth it then looked at my sweet seven year old grandson and seen the answer. Everyone's circumstances are different.

I just ordered a package of 50 paper masks on Amazon, at this link. The link is actually smile.amazon.com, which lets you donate a small portion of your purchases to your selected charity, but you can buy from amazon.com if you want.

These masks are $28.99 for 50, but they're currently offering a 5% discount off that if you click the Coupon box. I chose these masks because although they're made in China, the order is fulfilled by Amazon and I'll get them Friday instead of sometime later in June/July/August (don't ask me about the reusable masks I bought on Amazon that came from somewhere overseas and took 2 months to arrive).

Thank you, I just ordered them. There were so many choices it can become overwhelming.
I use Amazon Smile too. I love that I can help out my charity of choice ( the RISPCA) by buying things I needed anyway. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter