How to make masks more tolerable-

the order is fulfilled by Amazon and I'll get them Friday instead of sometime later in June/July/August (don't ask me about the reusable masks I bought on Amazon that came from somewhere overseas and took 2 months to arrive).
Been getting a lot of delays even with Amazon fulfillment - I have one package that has been on the UPS truck for delivery for a week now.
A few days they even stopped at my house for a few minutes and then left.
So make sure you order well in advance of when you need it and check the expected ship date - lots of stuff is two or three months from now as you point out.

If you do go with cloth masks make sure you get a few so you can change them throughout the day.

I just ordered last Thursday some blue paper masks on Amazon and they came Monday. I also clicked around until I found some that shipped from the US (although made in China). I think they were $25.99 for a box of 50. We all tested them out (although not in extreme heat/or length of time) and they seemed to fit all of us fairly well, even our 7 year old. I happened to see a whole bunch at Sams Club this weekend for $24.88. Now that I know they are probably our best option for our August trip, I will probably grab another box or two.

We didn't go crazy ordering a bunch of sewn cloth masks. I have 4 (as I am our primary shopper and out of the house the most) while the rest of the family have 2 each. We are planning the cloth masks for the planes, dining, hotels, etc...anywhere we are that masks are required and it is inside more or in AC. For the parks, we will probably do the paper masks primarily for ease of use and disposability.

It's worth it if it is the only chance we have to take my grandson on a vacay for him this summer after he has endured the big D, loss of contact with all his friends from school, his beloved teacher getting cancer and having a sub for most of his diminished school year anyway, and a cancelled Disney trip. So yes, I have asked myself if it is worth it then looked at my sweet seven year old grandson and seen the answer. Everyone's circumstances are different.

If anything changes on your planning front, I know my kids when they were 7 would have (and still do) prefer chilling at the beach as opposed to amusement parks. Snag a house rental that someone cancelled and relax mask free. :) Hit the parks next year. :)

Wow 30 masks/person...I don't know how that would doable for carrying or making/purchasing...and packing...yikes that's a ton of masks.
I plan on carrying multiples with me to switch out during the day, but I also will bring a bit of laundry soap and wash them at the end of the day. I think 30/person is a lot, unless you're going for 10 days and don't plan on washing them. I'm also going to bring buffs as a back up. I don't like them as much as my normal masks, but they'll try out faster if/when I start to sweat and might be more comfortable in that case? I don't like how they're right up against your mouth, though. The masks I make are the curved ones so you have a little pocket of air between your mouth & the fabric.

If anything changes on your planning front, I know my kids when they were 7 would have (and still do) prefer chilling at the beach as opposed to amusement parks. Snag a house rental that someone cancelled and relax mask free. :) Hit the parks next year. :)
While I appreciate everyone's input, as that is what is so beneficial from these boards ,after much consideration of all the pros and cons, we are doing what he and his dad chose to do-which is why I am asking for input on making it as pleasant as possible rather than whether or not to go. As we do on our frequent Disney trips, when someone hits the wall we will leave!

I have heard from multiple, independent sources that these are the most comfortable (not too bad a price either);
SCORE sports masks
I ordered a set for me and my son. I am going to modify mine so it has ties rather than the elastic ears thingys (hate those). My wife and two daughters did not like any of the styles of those, so we went to the fabric store and bought fabric and I am sewing theirs with a very similar design (also ties). We will have at least 3 each, and are staying in a 1 br BLT unit so will have in-room laundry. 20 per person per day I have to assume is disposable paper, right? That seems excessive. Remember they are not PPE so they are only contaminated by YOU. If you changed and let them dry out, then re-wore them later in the day you are not putting yourself at risk.

I'm also going to bring buffs as a back up.
I've been intrigued by buffs, but there's some question if buffs will meet Disney's mask requirement since they don't have ties or ear loops.
All face coverings should:
  • Fully cover an individual’s nose and mouth and allow the Guest to remain hands-free
  • Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
  • Be secured with ties or ear loops
  • Be made of breathable material, either disposable or reusable

Does UO have the same ear loop language? I just bought a Mission neck gaiter for our trip next week.

No, it just says face covering. I hope Disney changed their mind and allows gaiters. I just tried on the one I bought- I only had it on a few minutes but it is definitely cooler than the masks I have and I love that it’s not pressed up against my nose.

No, it just says face covering. I hope Disney changed their mind and allows gaiters. I just tried on the one I bought- I only had it on a few minutes but it is definitely cooler than the masks I have and I love that it’s not pressed up against my nose.
Yeah, totally agree. I bought the one that you can get wet and it's supposed to keep you cool.

Wow 30 masks/person...I don't know how that would doable for carrying or making/purchasing...and packing...yikes that's a ton of masks.

Maybe they have a small family?
I know for my family that would be 180 mask! :oops:

We are looking to get some neck gaitor types as my son finds those better with wearing his glasses - are those OK for use in the parks? Seems like that would be a great way to have options for both temperature as well as convenience with his glasses.

I follow Kenny the Pirate on Twitter, he wore a Mission cooling gaiter during the AP preview at Universal and it didn’t seem to be a problem.

I follow Kenny the Pirate on Twitter, he wore a Mission cooling gaiter during the AP preview at Universal and it didn’t seem to be a problem.

I work outdoors and am required by my work to wear a mask. I use these Mission cooling bandannas also and they definitely help when it is hot (90 and above) here.

I work outdoors and am required by my work to wear a mask. I use these Mission cooling bandannas also and they definitely help when it is hot (90 and above) here.
My husband loads bales of hay (dusty and full of pollen) in the south Louisiana heat. He wears them and thinks they’re the best of anything he’s tried. I’m swiping one for my August trip. 😷

Gaiter, the man has a head the size of Texas and the gaiter actually fits. I’ve had to extend the elastics on all of his regular masks. I’m going to have to take one of the gaiters up or it’ll fall right off of my little pea head.

Gaiter, the man has a head the size of Texas and the gaiter actually fits. I’ve had to extend the elastics on all of his regular masks. I’m going to have to take one of the gaiters up or it’ll fall right off of my little pea head.
:P I've been called a buckethead many a time. Got the gaiter, just wondered if I should go for the mission bandanna instead. Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!