How to handle the heat?

mgmgbook

Mouseketeer
Saturday, July 7th, is our first day at the parks and it's supposed to be over 100 degrees. Our plan is to RD at DCA that morning at 9am. It's unfortunate that the park doesn't open earlier when it is cooler but it is what it is. So...what would you suggest we do to help mitigate the heat? We usually stay in the parks from RD to when we drop. I don't really relish the idea of walking back to HOJO when it's super hot and then having to reenter security later. What would you do if you wanted to stay in the parks all day? Also - any chance the crowds might be lower due to the heat? Thanks!

on the news this morning a survey indicated that Disneyland was the number one destination for types of travel this july 4th week, so folks who traveled will not be deterred from visiting.

* walk back soaking wet from grizzly
* animation building has plenty of opportunities, but they are heat secrets, everyone knows they are available.
* it will be more uncomfortable at DCA, lack of shade, jungle cruise trees, water gone from pier, poor walk thru stores like Main street, .....textures that make it alittle easier at Disneyland
* unfortunate, you may have to treat your trip like a rain storm, earthquake and go back to your lodging for hydration and rest for return to the night.

Sadly, we were at DL in 108 degree heat and it did not thing to the crowds. Biggest take away from our trip, bring cooling towels and hats. You can find them at sporting good stores. Wet them, slightly wring them out, and they stay pretty cool. Two per person. If you can forego any sense of style like I did, one under a hat and one around the neck worked really well for me.

Stop and drink something at least every 30 minutes even if your not thirsty. Get out of the heat before your miserable.
Take a break during the hottest part of the day and go swimming and/or nap. Then go back in the cooler evening - DL is wonderful at night!

Drink a ton of water! Even early in the morning when it's cooler. My dad always told me that once you feel thirsty, you are already dehydrated.
Careful with sugary drinks, those dehydrate you so quickly.
Walk and sit in the shade if possible. If you can, avoid direct sunlight
Plan fastpasses/maxpass for rides that have A/C and water in the middle of the day.
Rides that are in the sun, do those early in the morning or after the sun is down
Wear sunscreen, hats, sunshades...bring those wet towels that go on your neck

LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! If you feel really drained, but know you want to keep going, take a break! Ride the train around a couple of times, sit inside somewhere. Running yourself to the ground when it's that hot out will not only impact you that day, it will catch up to you the following days.

PS: I don't think high heat stops people from going. The only time I went to Disneyland growing up was in 95-100+ degree heat and it was always packed

I echo everyone else: stay hydrated! I've also heard great things about the cooling towels. We enjoy frozen treats, too - you can even mobile order ice cream at Gibson Girl or Clarabelle's!

What we do in the heat at DL:
Railroad, make a stop in the Main Street Cinema, Tiki Room, Pirates/Small World, get wet at the ball in Tomorrowland, see Mickey and the Magical Map

What we do in the heat at DCA:
Animation room (everything - Sorcerer's Workshop activities, draw characters in Animation Academy, Turtle Talk with Crush, meet Anna & Elsa), see the Frozen show, Little Mermaid, get wet at the splash pad in Bug's Land (I bring a change of clothes and flip-flops for my daughter), get wet at the Pixar ball

The misting fans are nice. Disney even sells some. Just bring extra batteries cause they are pricey in the park.

We always take cooling towels and misters. Spend more time than usual on Little Mermaid in DCA since it's usually easy to get on, do any shows we can in the middle of the day, and plan an air-conditioned table service meal for the hot part of the day. And don't forget water is always free at counter service restaurants ... they often have it sitting out. For some reason DCA always seems hotter than DL to me, so we try to avoid DCA if it's really hot.

But honestly we usually go back to the hotel in the afternoon if it's really hot. Even if it's a bit of a walk, taking a couple hours in an air-conditioned hotel room does a lot to make me feel better for the rest of the day! My teens disagree.

Awesome advise on here, we’re going to Disneyland end of August/September. I imagine temperates will still be high then?
Not to scare you, but they may be about the same or worse, lol. August and September is when the heat kicks up in Socal. But if you prepare, it should be ok.

Not to scare you, but they may be about the same or worse, lol. August and September is when the heat kicks up in Socal. But if you prepare, it should be ok.
Thanks so much, we will drink plenty of water and take a midday break, that’s partly why we’re going for 6 days because we thought we’d have to split the days in 2 to avoid too much heat!

I have gone in late July/ early to mid- August over the years and have had the pleasure to be there in the 100+ degree heat. For us it was about going early in the morning, taking breaks when we could during the hottest part of the day. Visiting shops, ice cream, cooling towels, hats, the Animation building (i think i sat in the lobby for a good half an hour one trip) a/c rides like Little Mermaid and Pirate, really just anything else to get us out of the sun in the afternoon. As much as the heat stinks during the day it does make for some lovely evenings. Riding GRR at night is fantastic.

Saturday, July 7th, is our first day at the parks and it's supposed to be over 100 degrees. Our plan is to RD at DCA that morning at 9am. It's unfortunate that the park doesn't open earlier when it is cooler but it is what it is. So...what would you suggest we do to help mitigate the heat? We usually stay in the parks from RD to when we drop. I don't really relish the idea of walking back to HOJO when it's super hot and then having to reenter security later. What would you do if you wanted to stay in the parks all day? Also - any chance the crowds might be lower due to the heat? Thanks!
Do you have kids? The water play area at HOJO would be good for a hot afternoon. I like the suggestion of getting soaked on GRR (with a FP) and then going to your hotel for a break.
Bugsland also has a water spray area at DCA.

I carry a small parasol with me- it's great for when you are waiting in line or for a parade. The parasol I use is the one that you can buy in NOS. I don't use it when walking as there are just too many people.

We went the week leading up to labor day weekend last August and it was super hot (40 degrees). As others stated, we found places with AC (art of animation, or indoor rides, Frozen show), and also used cooling towels. They help. We also carried our own (light weight) water bottles and got ice water from quick service. The heat kept away crowds, and we used FP for the headliners so never were standing in the sun for long periods of time.

Many great ideas have been listed to beat the heat at the parks, especially drinking water to keep hydrated. Many places sell cold fresh fruit that helps keep you hydrated and tastes good too. Loosely plan your days. Lunch at Carnation Cafe is wonderful, especially when you have done quite a bit all morning. Then, head over to the Grand Californian to check out this beautiful hotel. Then, while there, get a drink, ice cream etc and relax in the Whitewater Snacks. Check all the shows/entertainment schedules to catch them in places that have shade or air conditioned buildings.

The heat sometimes keeps the crowds away. I wanted to go this weekend but I decided not to because of the forecasted heatwave. Last summer I went on two 105+ days, one in July and one in August. It was completely dead. In DCA we rode Little Mermaid and Monsters Inc three times in a row each just for the AC because there was literally no one in line.

Stay hydrated! Water, water, water, water. This is the most important thing. If you're not giving yourself the hydration you need, then you're gonna have some problems. Eat good foods as well to give yourself nutrition. Then, wear sunscreen if you'll be wearing lighter clothes with your skin showing. Also, wear a hat/sunglasses to protect your head/eyes. Wear lighter, breathable clothing. Cotton is preferable for this, but linen and rayon can work as well. Light-colored clothing helps to reflect and not absorb as much heat. As for what you can do physically, just don't push yourself. Take lots of breaks either in queues that offer shade and respite from the sun. Go on water rides so that you get wet. You'll probably dry off a few minutes after you walk off the ride anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter