How to handle the heat?

Carry water with you at all times. Grab a free cup of ice water at all the food services places. Wear a hat - the shade makes a big difference. I know a lot of people like ice cream and other frozen treats, but I have found that avoiding sugar makes feel better in the heat.

Ride Grizzly Rapids and get soaked.

When it is too hot to do anything: grab a drink and an appetizer in Carthay Circle lounge; do stuff in Animation Academy; go to Grand Californian's Hearthstone Lodge and have a cheese plate and a cold drink or relax in the lobby, watch Mr. Lincoln, go to Tiki Room, binge ride It's a Small world

Get multiple cups of ice water whenever you pass a counter service restaurant (unless the line is really long). Sometimes on the hot days they have the cups of free ice water already out just sitting on the counter.
I remember one 100+ day we were at the park and it was really empty. This was in late June a couple years ago.

Thank you everyone for all of the great advice! We decided to make a change to our plans. Originally we were going to visit the parks on Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday with trips to other places on Monday and Wednesday. Now we will go on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and make our other excursions on Saturday and Wednesday. Might as well be indoors on Saturday! It's hard though, to be right next to DL and not go right away!

Good idea! Glad you were able to change your schedule around a bit.

We went last year in September right after Labor Day and the humidity was awful. We took several 8oz bottles of water. We chugged one every hour or so.
It's a Small World has a blast of cool air as you enter each room and has a delightful cooling effect. I would have ridden it twice if my kids didn't hate the song so much.

I've gone when it's super hot plenty of times. I saw some really good advice from others above. I didn't read it all, but in case it hasn't been said, consider getting a frogg togg towel to wrap around your neck. You soak it in water and it really helps with cooling. If you have small children with a stroller, get some clip on fans for the stroller, too. Bring your own water bottle. You can refill them for free at the Tomorrowland Terrace (or Galactic Grill...whatever it's called now) and a couple of other places in the parks. At DCA, Bug's Land has a water play area for the kids...assuming it's still open. It can be fun just to walk through when it's hot to cool off. If it's too bad, take a break from around 1PM-4PM, the hottest part of the day. Go back to your hotel and enjoy the pool if you can, or if you don't have a hotel, find a cool restaurant in the parks or DCA to rest in. If the AMC theaters are still open, that's a great place to get away from the heat. Finally, I recommend keeping gatorade and advil in your hotel room if you'll have a room nearby. A lot of times, the heat issues don't hit me until the next day when the dehydration keeps up with me.

...Finally, I recommend keeping gatorade and advil in your hotel room if you'll have a room nearby. A lot of times, the heat issues don't hit me until the next day when the dehydration keeps up with me.
I wholeheartedly agree using Gatorade or some electrolyte replacement! We can manage fine for a day or two just hydrating with water, but start feeling really unwell if we don’t drink something that replenishes all the minerals etc. It makes a world of difference!

I don’t think I see the mention of the robot building in Disneyland. Lol the one with the meet n greet.
I found this building in the heat exhausting because there isn't enough seating. I prefer other parts of DL that have lots of seating and good AC (small world, pizza port, Star Wars movie (or whatever it is now), Pirates, Splash, Main street cinema, anywhere I can sit and rest my weary feet and at the same time soak in the A/C.

Coping techniques that work for us:
  • drink a lot
  • bring an insulated water bottle and fill it with ice water frequently
  • if you're prone to dehydration, alternate with Gatorade or its equivalent
  • use 1 of those Frogg Toggs cooling towels
  • go to Cost Plus Imports before your trip and get a foldable fan. use it with the cooling towel
  • if you're really overheated, go into the bathroom and get your hair wet
  • wear a big sun hat. Not just a baseball cap. Something with a wide brim.
  • stay out of the sun in the hottest part of the day (~ 1-4 pm).
  • if you are thirsty, know that you are already dehydrated.
  • if you start to feel lightheaded or nauseous, get somewhere cool quickly, sit down or lay down and drink some really cold water.
  • wear comfortable lightweight clothing.

I found this building in the heat exhausting because there isn't enough seating. I prefer other parts of DL that have lots of seating and good AC (small world, pizza port, Star Wars movie (or whatever it is now), Pirates, Splash, Main street cinema, anywhere I can sit and rest my weary feet and at the same time soak in the A/C.

What is the Star Wars movie?

Main Street Cinema is cool, but unless they've changed things since last time I was in there, there's really not any seating to speak of. There's the one raised area with the rail, but I think that's meant as standing room. I guess you could always sit on the floor, but then you're in the way of other guests. Have they added seats?

Do those cooling towels really help?
I never heard of them before doing “Disney research“ and read mixed reviews about them in online shops...
But what I read here sounds pretty nice actually... (space in my luggage is pretty limited so I am still undecided...)

I never heard of them before doing “Disney research“ and read mixed reviews about them in online shops...
But what I read here sounds pretty nice actually... (space in my luggage is pretty limited so I am still undecided...)

Yes, they really do work! They don't take up much space at all if you take them out of the container they come in. They're super thin.

TOTALLY work, wet them down in a restroom, then wring it out slightly so it is not sopping wet. Take it off, wave it around a bit, put it back on and its cooler. One other tip, bring extra clothes. We were changing everyday on our break. Had to do a bit of laundry to keep up.

TOTALLY work, wet them down in a restroom, then wring it out slightly so it is not sopping wet. Take it off, wave it around a bit, put it back on and its cooler. One other tip, bring extra clothes. We were changing everyday on our break. Had to do a bit of laundry to keep up.

Can you recommend a brand? I see tons of different ones. Thanks

Carry water with you at all times. Grab a free cup of ice water at all the food services places. Wear a hat - the shade makes a big difference. I know a lot of people like ice cream and other frozen treats, but I have found that avoiding sugar makes feel better in the heat.

Ride Grizzly Rapids and get soaked.

When it is too hot to do anything: grab a drink and an appetizer in Carthay Circle lounge; do stuff in Animation Academy; go to Grand Californian's Hearthstone Lodge and have a cheese plate and a cold drink or relax in the lobby, watch Mr. Lincoln, go to Tiki Room, binge ride It's a Small world
I thought Carthey Circle was closed and converted?

Jack

Can you recommend a brand? I see tons of different ones. Thanks

That would have been my next question... though those towels aren’t that popular in Germany apparently and the “big brands” like frogg toggs aren’t available for a reasonable price...:sad2:
So I hope I’ll be able to get one that works just as well... what I have read those microfiber ones are not as “great” as for example those frogg toggs ones, which claim to remain “dry to the touch” (and that feature would be great...) but I guess I just have to try it out and hope for the best...
Anyways.. thanks for the opinions!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter