• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How scary is Tower of Terror?

I'm a roller coaster fanatic. While this is not a coaster, it's one of the best thrill rides out there. It has a Twilight Zone feature, or it used to - it's been a few years since I rode it. Can't wait 'til November!

You didn't tell her, did you?

The best part was the guys standing next to us, who heard her ask and completely lost it. In between laughter, one of them said, "You brought her on this and she doesn't know what it does?!? That's evil!"

Honestly, I thought she knew what it did. How do you not notice the giant towers and the people screaming?

This thread is six years old, but who cares TOT is worth it. :)

It's my favorite ride because it's the only one that still gets my adrenaline going. My mom has always flat our refused to go...until last visit. I don't know what changed her mind but she decided she was going to try it out. And she loved it! DH is not all that fond, but he rides it because I love it.

The first time I ever went on it, no one would go with me so I went by myself. I think I might have grabbed the knee of the guy sitting next to me, probably thought I was some creepy cougar. :) And I start out screaming like a little girl but half way through the first drop I just start laughing hysterically.

The anticipation of the unknown is far worse than the ride. I just brace myself well and go with it. The really fun part is listening to first-timers scream. One time a fellow female passenger screamed most of the ride, but her biggest scream was when the door finally opened and the CM was right there leaning in with a weird look on his face. Everyone else started laughing.

To my daughter, the ghosts were the scariest part. She was 3 in this pic... second row, far left.

DSCN8495%20(Large).JPG

Here was a few months back at age 6...

DSCN1991%20(Large).jpg

She seems to have gotten less brave in 3 years.

I remember getting stuck the first time I rode ToT. I asked if anyone had been on the ride before and if it was normal (it was not). The preprogammed safety announcement to stay in our seats was the same eerie voice used for the regular safety announcement.

When we finally got moving again, they gave everyone the option of taking the ride immediately or bailing. Two people bailed, but the rest of us got sent to the next ride before the people waiting in line.

I think it's a really good ride. The attention to detail is amazing. When I was stuck in the shaft, they turned on the lights and I got a good look at the details. Even for a part of the ride where we would be passing through in a split second, they made it look like the place was really 70 years old.

The only problem I had with the breakdown is that my wife asked what the heck I'd been doing. We took turns with our kid who was sleeping in a stroller.

I just posted on another thread asking about the drop and like I said there, I thought I was going to die! Literally, thought I was going to have a heart attack. I had to keep my eyes closed and scream through the entire ride.

Just reading this thread is making my hands swet! Its important to know though, that I do not like heights- I don't even like riding the Mickey Wheel in DCA, so why I even got on this ride is beyond me!?

But, to the OP: it looks like the majority enjoy the ride though, so you may enjoy it, too!

I hate drops and it is definitely scary for me. Scariest ride in DLR in my opinion. I'll go on it again next time I'm at DCA though.

The thought of dropping 13 stories has kept me off this ride, but I am curious and would love to ride it. How bad is it??

Im sure with all these posts, it's not just one 13 story drop. I went on it once, on my 55th birthday. It's been almost 4 years and I'm still working up the courage to go again , and we go to to the parks 2-3 x a year for 1-2 week periods. I had to forcibly take slow, deep breaths, hubby held me and my face was buried in his chest. ( I have the picture but just don't know how to attach it.) Next time, if I go, it'll be before breakfast and on some Valium. A CM told me 'it is like bad turbulence." If I was ever on a flight with turbulence like the TOT, I'd never fly again. I also learned not to trust my kid's judgement as to whether or not I would like it.

The best part was the guys standing next to us, who heard her ask and completely lost it. In between laughter, one of them said, "You brought her on this and she doesn't know what it does?!? That's evil!"

Honestly, I thought she knew what it did. How do you not notice the giant towers and the people screaming?
TOO funny. I had a similar experience at Six Flags Over Texas. I had a friend visiting me from back east - and we met up with a childhood friend who moved away in second grade. My friend from back east was about to take a job in Texas and was totally in her own world freaking out about a move half way across the country.

We were loaded into a roller coaster with two loops and moving up the first hill - when she says "Wait, this isn't a roller coaster is it? I don't ride roller coasters."

How she could not have noticed that we were in line for a roller coaster is beyond me - there was no theming at all. Big metal coaster.

It all depends on what freaks you out.

I have to fight to keep my eyes open going down Splash Mountain and would never dare not hold on for dear life!

First time on the Mickey's Wheel (of death) I thought we were going to sail out into the water and drown in the cage. Terrified. Now, I love it.

After my fiirst two white-knuckled times on Tower of Terror, a kind friend suggested to me I should just.....let go.

Literally. Not even hold on to the arm rests.

It worked like a charm. It's almost peaceful and kind of float-y. I grin like a fool the whole time.

For me..there is nothing scarier than ToT..and here's my story.

DH is very scared of heights like me. He made me a deal he would go on Soarin if I did ToT. I figured there was no way he would do Soarin as he skipped it the last few trips before..but as an act of good faith he went on Soarin first..so I knew I had to keep my end of the bargain.

I was a wreck..I couldn't relax at all basically panicking the whole time..even at the preshow I was uneasy..but I wanted to do this at least once. We get in and sit down..back row..okay I feel a little more secure. I buckle my seat belt and put a death grip on DH's arm. Doors close..we go up..and up..drop..up and down. I am literally shaking and screaming whether we are going up or down. Finally it stops and we are the last ones off as I am literally hyperventilating in tears.

DH felt really bad..and it took me about 10 minutes to breathe and calm down..poor CM must have thought I was going to pass out..lol.

With all that said..I waited an HOUR in line with friends/DH back in April..was going to go on..when they were putting us in the front row.
I had a full on anxiety meltdown and chickened out and went crying to the waiting area. I was so embarrassed as there are kids much braver than me..blah..I hate being such a wimp.

I have severe fears of front row seats and long drops..but I still want to try again in December..5 days to deal..just maybe..

Yep, I dislike it, too. For me, it's the speed of the "ups" as we'll as the dropping sensation. I'll ride it, but I pretty much hate every minute of it. I'm not afraid of it; I just find the whole thing to be unpleasant.

Fortunately, my DD doesn't like it either. So I'll have someone to sit with on our next trip while everyone else rides!

My brother made me go with him and I hated every second of it after we were buckled. I love the theming however. I will not go on it again, that's for sure. I even got a strain in my neck from bracing myself. :scared1:

Midnightred

We laugh all the way, so much fun...never have seen a person get sick, very smooth pull.

Jack

I LOVE it! I would never even think about going on free fall rides or rides with big drops at other parks, but this is different. I was however too scared to go on the Mickey Wheel or Screamin'!!

'Scariest' part for me is in the library room where you wait, the 'bell boy' was so creepy I spent the entire few minutes keeping my eye on him in case he tried to sneak up on me.

Other than that, the ride itself is fine, as others have said there's a succession of drops but once you've done the first one which is pretty short you know the feeling your expecting so the other 2 or three are fine... I don't think I could do this if it wasn't dark though.

I didn't enjoy this ride at all. I think though what scares me is when the elevator door opens. I panic thinking I'm going to go flying out.

I'm thinking next time i wont sit smack bang in the middle of the front row lol.

I LOVE it! I would never even think about going on free fall rides or rides with big drops at other parks, but this is different. I was however too scared to go on the Mickey Wheel or Screamin'!!

That is easily my most hated ride in all of DLR (really the only ride I hate). I'm fine with rides like ToT and love rides like Jurassic Park at USH, but getting on the moving gondolas was the worst decision I ever made.

My DH and I like to plan what kind of pose we are going to do for the picture. But the last time we rode it, the guy next to me totally grabbed my leg! LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter