• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How scary is Tower of Terror?

Loralynnh

Earning My Ears
The thought of dropping 13 stories has kept me off this ride, but I am curious and would love to ride it. How bad is it??

I suppose it depends on whether you like drop rides. It's not a single drop, but rather random drops of different distances, so you never know what to expect. My brother and I (both in our late 20's) were giggling like we were 5 years old the first time we got off of it. It's, in my opinion, a lot of fun.

I also want to know what others think of this ride? My next trip everyone is telling me I AM GOING TO GO ON THIS RIDE AND I'M FREAKING OUT:scared1: because I won't want to get sick:sick:

I was there a few weeks ago and I am as big a wimp for these rides as ever. However, decided to go on it anyway. When I saw 5 year olds jumping on it, I knew it could not be that bad. I think the anticipation is the worst. It was the most fun I have ever had on a ride, the special effects were awesome and the drops were fun. It was over with so fast, that believe me it will leave you wanting to jump back on it again. I was just like you and now can't wait to ride it again next year. I hope this helps :cool1:

many people will tell you it's not THAT scary...
and i'm one of them!! i don't think it's ever 13 stories at one time, rather it's maybe 5 or 6 then you go back up a little then drop again.
it's really not that bad, and you will have a BLAST!!!:banana:
i say do it!! it's a lot of fun!

I don't like scarey rides however I like ToT. My 3 year old grandchildren go on it. They call it the ride that comes from the sky. We all laugh the whole time we are on it. You should do it.

All of my kids will tell you the scariest part of this ride is the little movie they show you in the library. The ride itself is a total blast! It's the mental part that gets ya!

This one is a lot more dramatic with the lights and effects than most other attractions, which might make it more intimidating for some. My DD turned 3 a couple of months back, and she wanted to ride the Tower ths past week, especially after going on Jumpin' Jellyfish (which only goes up 40' with very slow descents).

So, needless to say I let her ride it and she loved the big air and fast drops. She said it made her tummy tickle. ;) The part she didn't care for were the flashing lights and loud noises (thunder, crackling, etc). She said she didn't like the lasers (though I'm pretty sure there were no lasers on the ride).

Here she is in the queue after we Fastpassed our way to the front:
DD_TOT.jpg

I rode the ride at WDW which I know is a little different, but I hated it. I have a huge fear of heights. I can't even ride the ferris wheel at our local amuzement park - my heart rate speeds up and I can't breath while I'm at the peak. I think you'll have a lot of fun if you aren't afraid of being high. Good luck!!

I look at it like a fast elevator. I don't think it's scary but until I went the first time I was nervous....not anymore.

I wish I could be one of of the brave souls to be able to tell you all about it, but I chickened out on it last year. I mean talk about embarassment, I got on the ride, got buckled in and said "screw this". My heart was pounding soooooooooooo fast I was so afraid I was going to put myself into a heart attack. Of course there were a few that had smart *** comments to make as I stood up and left and many young kids stayed to ride it. I thought that was pretty tacky, but oh well it amused some and maybe me getting off was tacky but it scared the jeebies out of me just leading up to it. I really want to do it someday.......but, well you go first k? :scared1:

I think TOT is one of the scariest rides I've been on, but it's a fun scary and I love it!

Part of the scariness is psychological -- the anticpation of the fall, as well as the pitch black darkness.

It's not scary in a "I fear I will really be injured or killed" kind of way at all (like some theme park coasters can be).

It's great -- everyone should try it at least once.

The anticipation is way worse than the actual ride. I rode it for the first time in May with some friends and my 4 year old. I was scared to death of getting sick but instead I just laughed the entire time. We ended up riding it over and over again during our trip. My 4 year old thought it was beyond awesome.

I didn't find it scary, just very, very thrilling! I am not one to get on those drop rides at other amusement parks, but the whole spectacle of ToT was just awesome, and you don't drop straight down the 13 stories, as noted above. But, honestly, I think you have to make the decision yourself. Different people are going to have different reactions. I rode it with my friend and his 13 yo daughter and another couple and their 8 yo daughter. The 13 yo was rather freaked out, but the 8 yo thought it was a blast. My 5 yo wants to ride it when we go this weekend, but my 11 yo still isn't sure he does. We shall see what happens.

I don't think it's scary, just kind of exciting and a lot of fun! However, I took my boyfriend on it in October and he got so scared! I couldn't stop laughing, but he was all hunkered down and his arms were flailing around, trying to find something to grab onto. He accidentally grabbed the girl's leg who was sitting next to him, too! :rotfl2: It's now a ride he'll probably never go on again.

My Indy lovin' & SM lovin' ... DS 8.....STILL won't ride the TOT. :rotfl:

He saw the drop, & heard the people sceaming while standing at the bottom of TOT. (It was 4 disney trips ago at WDW when he was 5) & he just.....won't......ride it. :scared1:

I told him that they had changed the name of it to the "Wacky, Bouncy, Elevator"...& still no dice. :scared:

My DD 7 (almost 8) loves this ride, it's one of her favorites. Last year I would not ride it, my DD 10 (now 11) and I waited for my DBF and DD (then) 6 to get off, when they did she couldn't stop talking about it. LOL I went on it with them this year for the first time. Scared the pee out of me!!!! LOL Not literally but I felt like it! LOL I rode it twice during our July trip, that was one too many for me! LOL Seriously......scared me so bad......we did it again when we were there for MHT at night........yup....scared me again. I skipped it when we were there 2 weekends ago. I hate heights, they scare me so bad......but the dropping just really gets me. I DO ride it, but only certain trips. LOL I'm sure I will ride it during our quick Dec. trip but I may not. Good luck, IMO ToT is the scariest ride at either park....that I will ride anyway. LOL

Won't do the Maliboomer.....will NOT do it!!!

Yeah the ride itself is not that bad. My 6 year old loves it. Its all the stuff b4 you get on the ride that can get in your head. Its the psyche out job the ride does on you - the movie b4 hand, the standing in line thru the old basement, the "act" that the guys who run the ride do. But the ride itself - no biggie...actually alot of fun and you'll realize that once you get off :banana: :banana: :banana:

I haven't heard anybody compare it to the Maliboomer yet should be about the same...eh? Haven't gone on either one yet, put that on my honeydo list of things to do this weekend.

The Dl version is not even as half as scary as the WDW version. There is a lot more show involved at WDW and in DL it is just a scary elevator ride. My 6 year old Nephew rode it several time s lat year! He is not a ride person...and loved it! I would recomend that you get on and scream!!! :scared1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter