• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How scary is Tower of Terror?

I've ridden ToT 3 times. That is 2 rides too many. :-)

Love roller coasters. Do not love straight down dropping rides. Having said that, the queue is kinda awesome. I'd recommend trying it once.

Once was enough for me. I'm in the minority, though. The photo of my elevator shows happy, screaming-for-fun, smiling people. And then there's me in the corner holding on for dear life with my eyes closed and a look of complete terror on my face. I think I was even crying. The story part was not scary in the least, but I hate free falls.

My last elevator ride on TOT will be my last. I'm not scared of heights but bouncing up and down made me sick to my stomach. A CM asked if I was OK.

You are dropping in the dark but for me it felt like a controlled drop. You do get that weightless feeling. I personally loved it. I was singing along to the song, then screaming when it dropped then laughing then singing. I walked off the ride saying that was so much fun!
In a way I think Tower of Terror was scarier I think it's guardians has such a fun atmosphere you forget to be scared.

The ride has re-themed to GOTG since I rode it the one and only time I did, but I have a question. We rode TOT at HS back in March and I did NOT remember the CA version's "car" moving along on a track before the dropping sequence. Am I crazy and the CA version does this, too, but I had forgotten it?

The ride has re-themed to GOTG since I rode it the one and only time I did, but I have a question. We rode TOT at HS back in March and I did NOT remember the CA version's "car" moving along on a track before the dropping sequence. Am I crazy and the CA version does this, too, but I had forgotten it?
The WDW Tower of Terror does Move forward, back, up & down. The DL version only moves up and down (Tower of Terror or GOTG version). When I went to WDW years ago.... I remember thinking that ride was so cool. When it came to DL I was like the WDW verions is way better.

No, the GotG car doesn't go down the track like the HS ToT does. It scoots back a bit to get into the shaft, but that's it.

When it started moving on the track at WDW my husband and I looked at each other like "WHAT IS HAPPENING?!?!", haha. Glad to know that it IS different.

When it started moving on the track at WDW my husband and I looked at each other like "WHAT IS HAPPENING?!?!", haha. Glad to know that it IS different.

Yes, it is different. The WDW ToT was the first one built, and all subsequent models were the revised version. The revised version can load faster and has fewer mechanical issues, but it is far less exciting. I loved the illusion that the elevator comes back empty every time, though in the revised version you load and unload in the same place (the hallway is supposed to mask it, but it's just not the same). Moving through the "fifth dimension" is also a cool aspect.

The Tower at WDW has four elevator cars and two drop shafts. The cars alternate using the drop shafts on each side. The revised version loads in three shafts on an upper and lower location, so has six loading areas, with the upper and lower elevator cars sharing a drop shaft.

I went earlier this month with my 6 yo daughter and 6 yo nephew. I personally loved the whole ride, and would probably do it over and over, but the kids ... not so much.

My daughter hated the "story", but loved the falls.
My nephew hated the falls, but loved the "story".

Neither one was thrilled about riding again, but my nephew freaked out when we were right in front of the elevators and we had to excuse ourselves and find an exit.

Me? I didn't find it scary at all. But I like thrill rides, so ...

My daughter hates drops, HATED TOT but loved the GOTG movie so gave it one more try with the re-theme and NOPE hated this version too. She said she will NEVER ride again. Took my son for the first time this past December, although in his photo he looked terrified beyond belief, he LOVED the ride (like I do) and wanted to ride again and again. We loved the music and sang along and screamed and yeah. Had a blast.

Last edited:
It terrifies my wife who only occasionally plucks up the courage to ride it, but my kids love it. When my daughter was about 6 she thoroughly enjoyed ToT but flat-out refused to see Voyage of the Little Mermaid because she was afraid of Ursula.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter