How scary is expedition everst?

Every Disney ride has a chicken exit--when they ask how many are in your party, just give them the number of people riding and add something like "and one to exit." The CM will lead him out, no problem--I haven't done it on EE but it's not a big deal on any ride.

Edit: I feel like I should clarify that "not a big deal" is a little subjective since the CMs stay in character during chicken exits for things like Tower of Terror and may gently rib guests (we got a "two chicke--I mean, guests to exit" back in 1998), but I can't imagine that it's anything particularly special or weird on EE.
Thanks! This is good to know. We figured he could, but he hasn't ever tried it, usually just FP something else. I think he'd really like this one though.

That's just your perception. RnR hasn't changed (to my knowledge) and given the construction of the track, there's nothing that would make it less smooth than it was 5 years ago. To me, it's extremely smooth. It's possible you're having neck issues that you never noticed before.
Could be but our entire family of 5, who all like roller coasters didn't really like RnR. We all felt like it was choppy and through us around a lot.

And we like the quick starts. Love it on the Hulk and that coaster in Hershey Park.

I've heard some people say it kinda feels like your going upside down at one point during the ride even though your not

Yes. But now that you know it’s not going upside down, that doesn’t have to scare you. You can just enjoy the illusion.

I can’t stand RnRC and love Everest.

Same.

right now we have a FP for Rock n Roller on day 1 which seems like a terrible idea to do as my first ride at HS.

On the other hand, you won’t have it grating on your nerves the whole day. You’ll either hate it and be glad it’s done, or you’ll love it and have the rest of the day to line back up and reride.

I also loved the queue. I told DH who can't do any coasters due to an injury that he should come with us next time just for that and take a chicken exit - I'm thinking there must be one!

Every ride has an exit for people who don’t wish to ride.

It is not as tame as the coasters I just listed, and I don't think it's fair of people to tell you that it is.

It’s all perceptions and subjective.

Except that there are also ways to look at rides objectively, like the ones reminding us that test track is faster than any of the coasters, or that BTMRR has a higher drop than EE.

And I’m not sure anyone said EE was less than mine train...

There was the story back in 2012, Emma Bassett unwittingly survived her undiagnosed brain tumor by going on a roller coaster and redistributing the fluid days before imminent death.

Look at that...true. https://www.baby-magazine.co.uk/local-heroes-2/

The thing to keep in mind about Disney coasters is those hill climbs are VERY deceiving. You go up real high and never drop as far back down. Once my brain understood that, I was cool.

Yep.

It's possible it's been refurbed in the last 4 years. Yes, Space is pretty rough but I felt RNRC was worse. I guess I'll find out when we go in January, god willing.

Those things can easily be looked up. It closed for a month in 2016 but a month isn’t long enough to change out the track.

I read a trick online once for the RNRC launch that has been very helpful to me. When they start the countdown, turn your head to the side. It makes a big difference from what I understand. I do it every time and I'm fine.

That seems like the exact opposite from what you’d want to do on that ride.

My first ride on RnRC, I didn't even realize it looped while riding. Just felt like going up down and around on a fast coaster.

Glad I didn't know the inversion bit beforehand because I would have built a monster in my head. Cracks me up riding now, still not sure which part it's happening.

Launch then corkscrews. It’s immediate.

I believe the backward part of the ride is what’s called a !double helix’ pretty much a figure of 8 with tight banks which gives the feeling of being pushed into your seat.

To give you a sense of where I stand on the thrill spectrum: I have fun on up and down rollercoasters, but do not like upside down rides (no RnR) or too much spinning (don't enjoy the teacups!). I will ride EE, though. I completely understand the "feels like it is going upside down" in the backwards part of Expedition Everest. It always feels that way to me, even though I know it is not going upside down. I do not enjoy that part of the ride. The g-forces are too intense for my liking (I don't enjoy Mission Space Orange for the same reason). That said, it is the only part of EE that I don't like and it is short enough that I can deal with it in order to enjoy the rest of the ride. My 19 year old son and I are a perfect example of "it is all subjective". I don't like the g-force in the dark, he loves it! I love the forward big drop and he hates it because he is scared of heights. Both of these moments on the ride are just a small part of it so you will likely have fun on it anyway. Overall, it is a fantastic ride and a real adrenaline rush. Give it a try!

I'm always curious about the people who say it feels like you go upside-down, since I've never thought that at all. I know it's all subjective and that when you're going backwards in the dark you can mistake one feeling for another, but it never would have occurred to me that we were going upside-down. Maybe just because looking at the coaster's trains I can immediately tell that it's not designed for loops? So I know not to expect them. And on most coasters with upside-down portions, that's when I feel most pressed down into my seat--on the backwards portion of EE you get a little bit of negative gravity, which is the opposite of what I expect from most roller coaster inversions (there are exceptions, but you have to go through the inversion very slowly to feel like you're coming out of your seat at all; I've only ever ridden one roller coaster that goes through a corkscrew slowly enough to give me that feeling).

The inversion feel of EE is more about the negative Gs you feel going through a loop rather than hang time you would feel at the top of the loop. EE pulls about 3 Gs which is pretty significant.

Everest is "thrilling" to me.... not "scary"! I consider the "darker"/ indoor roller coasters to be scarier... I would consider Space Mtn and Rock n Roller Coaster scarier because you can't see what is coming. The only part of Everest I might consider scary is when you go backwards and in the dark... but that is so short that it's over before you realize it.
As for "intense" I'd equate it to Rock N Roller Coaster in intensity. ... Mainly for speed and drops and loops, etc.

I do not like Primeval Whirl... way to jerky. I consider Test Track kinda boring.... 7 Dwarfs Mine Train is fun for the family and not that thrilling or scary.
Space Mtn is my least favorite because it's so jerky and I struggle getting in and out of it because of my height and long legs.
RnRC is my 3rd favorite.....
BRMRR is my 2nd favorite......
Everest is my favorite.

The inversion feel of EE is more about the negative Gs you feel going through a loop rather than hang time you would feel at the top of the loop. EE pulls about 3 Gs which is pretty significant.
It's funny, as I've been reading this thread I realized I had it backwards--I misremembered the feeling of that part of the ride, so I can see where people are coming from.

I am not a big roller coaster rider, but when I am at Disney I just go for it. It helps that they keep the rides "hidden."

All that being said, I love EE! It is my favorite ride at WDW. I say, go for it!

I rode it you guys!! Twice. So its definitely more intense than Big thunder. I liked it. I thought the scariest part would be the backwards in the dark, but that part didn't bother me. The scariest parts were the two drops. They were a little steep and fast. But I'd go on again. So proud of myself. This is definitely the craziest coaster i've been on. I also did slinky and my kids and I all loved it so much.

I rode it you guys!! Twice. So its definitely more intense than Big thunder. I liked it. I thought the scariest part would be the backwards in the dark, but that part didn't bother me. The scariest parts were the two drops. They were a little steep and fast. But I'd go on again. So proud of myself. This is definitely the craziest coaster i've been on. I also did slinky and my kids and I all loved it so much.
Great to hear it!!

Great to hear it!!
Ditto! :)

I get motion sickness sometimes, so I wus out of a lot. I took my 10 year old daughter in March and told her I'd do whatever she wanted. We went to Animal Kingdom on one mission, to ride Everest. I rode. It was really neat, but by the time we walked out of the park and got to the buses to go to Magic Kingdom, I threw up in the bushes. Lol. It made me sick! Later that afternoon, we went to Hollywood Studios, and I rode Rockin Roller Coaster, and I did fine. I think it was the backwards part of Everest that got me.

I get motion sickness sometimes, so I wus out of a lot. I took my 10 year old daughter in March and told her I'd do whatever she wanted. We went to Animal Kingdom on one mission, to ride Everest. I rode. It was really neat, but by the time we walked out of the park and got to the buses to go to Magic Kingdom, I threw up in the bushes. Lol. It made me sick! Later that afternoon, we went to Hollywood Studios, and I rode Rockin Roller Coaster, and I did fine. I think it was the backwards part of Everest that got me.
I’m going to start a “how do I avoid the drunks leaving AK thread......”. LOL

Glad it didn’t ruin the rest of your day.

I’m going to start a “how do I avoid the drunks leaving AK thread......”. LOL

Glad it didn’t ruin the rest of your day.

I wasn't drunk. It was rope drop, 9am in the morning. And I don't drink anyway. Motion sickness got the best of me.

I wasn't drunk. It was rope drop, 9am in the morning. And I don't drink anyway. Motion sickness got the best of me.
I totally understood—it gets me too. It was just a joke based on some other heated threads on that topic. Sorry if I offended you!

I ended up deciding to ride all the roller coasters. I rode them in the following order: RNR, SDD, Primeval Whirl, Everest, 7 dwarfs, Barnstormer, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, and Space Mountain. I did not really like RNR or Everest. My favorite was Primeval Whirl due to the spinning. I don't really understand why people like 7 dwarfs though.

The theming, the scenes, and the photopass video (if they still do the video)
Hi HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
The coaster part of the ride itself is pretty ho-hum.
I didn't see a video. I will check again. I went in knowing nothing about the ride so I was expecting a SDD type coaster.

Edit: I see the video. It's much better than the ToT video.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter