• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How much to tip mousekeeping?

phorsenuf

Not so New Rule author
We are staying at ASMU in April (4 of us) and I want to prepare my mousekeeping envelopes ahead of time. How much do you think I should leave on a daily basis?
Thanks!!!

We usually tip $1 or $1.50 per person each day.

Per day, we give $1-$2 per person staying in the room. We leave the envelopes on the pillows when we leave the room in the morning!

Enjoy your vacation!!!!!!!!!:wave: :wave:

I usually tip $5 a day if the room is very clean (which it almost always is at WDW).

We have left $1 per person per day. Make sure you leave it each day in case the mousekeeping staff changes in the middle of your stay. The staff is great! We stayed at ASMo and every night we came back to different things such as animal towels, stuffed animals in cute poses, etc.

Originally posted by ducklite
I'd leave $5 per day.

Anne,

I notice you stay concierge and non-concierge do you tip any differently for housekeeping depending on how you stay? We have a family of 5 staying Poly Concierge, is $5 enough per day?

Also another quick question, I have read that the concierge staff is not suppose to accept tips for their services. Tara at the Poly has been so helpful to me in my planning that I would like to do something for her at check in, is this not appropriate?

Thanks!

WisconsinMousermon,

I was wondering the same thing. We have 2 rooms at AKL concierge next month. I too have heard that the concierge staff is not supposed to accept tips.

I have read that many people bring some goodies for them. A box of chocolates, cookies, etc.

I too would like to do something for them as they have been so kind and helpful.

Let me know if you receive any other suggestions.

Liz

We leave $1 per person daily (usually there are 4 of us) and if the service was good, a little extra on the last day. It is important to leave tip each day so the person who does the work gets the tip, there are different staff over the weekend at many hotels (Dis and non-Dis).

We leave $5-7 per day (there are 4 of us). We usually break it up like $3-4 in the morning before we leave and then another $3 in the afternoon when we come back for naps. I like to do it this way because it keeps the morning person and turndown person both happy. ;)

Originally posted by TigrLvsPooh
We leave $5-7 per day (there are 4 of us). We usually break it up like $3-4 in the morning before we leave and then another $3 in the afternoon when we come back for naps. I like to do it this way because it keeps the morning person and turndown person both happy. ;)

Oh God Erika,

I hadn't even thought of the turndown person. You're right though. It's probably not the same person.

Originally posted by wisconsinmousermom
Anne,

I notice you stay concierge and non-concierge do you tip any differently for housekeeping depending on how you stay? We have a family of 5 staying Poly Concierge, is $5 enough per day?

Also another quick question, I have read that the concierge staff is not suppose to accept tips for their services. Tara at the Poly has been so helpful to me in my planning that I would like to do something for her at check in, is this not appropriate?

Thanks!

It's usually two or three of us, and regardless of where we are staying, I leave $5 per day. When we had the 2BR suite at the AKL I left $7 per day. (DVC is totally diffferent). Then I also leave $2 for turn-down service.

As far as concierge, I give them a 1 lb box of Godiva's every time I stay concierge.

If there is one person in particular that was helpful, you could maybe order a small floral arrangement for her...perhaps if Shirley from theperfectgift.cc was coming that way for a delivery anyhow she could work with you for price.

Anne

Thanks Anne,

That's exactly what I was thinking. Now, next question. Is there a godiva down there, or do you bring it with you???

Lizzie--I bring it along with me...

And here's a HUGE tip...

The day after Easter, Godiva will have a huge sale with 50% off the Easter wrapped ballotins--go in and grab a 2 pounder for half the normal price of a one pounder and really make their day!

Anne

Originally posted by ducklite
Lizzie--I bring it along with me...

And here's a HUGE tip...

The day after Easter, Godiva will have a huge sale with 50% off the Easter wrapped ballotins--go in and grab a 2 pounder for half the normal price of a one pounder and really make their day!

Anne

Thanks again Anne,

Will do.

2 pounds of Godiva at half off - may have to indulge myself.

I've killed myself to loose 15 pounds so I can wear a two piece on this trip, only to gain it all back on this trip.

LOL

We stayed WL Concierge recently. Well aware of the tip business, and the fact that in the UK the tipping culture is different and less extensive than in the US, sister and I (28 and 25 respectively) organised to leave $5 daily for lodgekeeping and $3 for turndown. We left them both in the morning in prepared WL logo'd envelopes marked 'lodgekeeping' and 'turndown'. We also wrote notes on them daily to thank the maids, and drew Mickeys on them. They were well-appreciated. Our maid was so friendly to us - not that I'm saying she wouldn't have been anyway - but the towel animals she created were beyond anything I'd seen before. One was even hanging from the ceiling fan one day and she'd come rushing over to us to see if we liked it! Also, I noticed that turndown did not always take their envelope. About three days in a row the same turndown envelope was left.

At the end, as with previous posters, we left more for our maid and also left a box of shortbread which we'd carried with us from Scotland - soon discovered that they sold the EXACT same brand of shortbread in the mercantile with Disney packaging instead of the grey scottish scenery version! Still, it was meant to be an authentic scottish thing so I thought she'd like it.

I felt really sorry for the concierge staff, who can't take tips and yet have to put up with really annoying guests who will complain about everything. I overheard one woman moaning that AKL concierge had spoiled her and that there was a smell in her WL concierge room and that just wouldn't do because her son was 'severely acutely asthmatic'. I think that woman really needs to go back to her son's doctor because his condition is obviously not well-controlled if a smell can bring it on. I was expecting to see this kid getting wheeled around the WL with a permanent nebuliser!!!

#1MMFan :bounce:

When we stayed concierge @ the Poly 2 years ago, there was one woman that really went out of her way..She got us Cindy's and Chef Mickey's which we were unable to get on our own. She also overheard us talking to DD#1 about her upcoming birthday. It was about a week or so away, but this wonderful CM had balloons and a cake waiting for her one evening with a card that said Happy Almost Birthday. She really was very sweet. At my DH's insistance and I do mean he insisted, she finally accepted a very well deserved cash tip. She sent us a very lovely thank you letter. So I guess with some insistance they will accept cash.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter