How much should I plan to pay in cash...?

AquaDame

DCL
Aside from credit cards not working are there things that you must pay for in cash regardless? Will I be able to put the hotel room (miracosta/dlh split) and tickets on my credit card if I am staying there or are tickets always in cash? My husband got his bonus and I am torn between keeping it in the checking account for this or putting it to better use. Petty cash for food and such is easy either way, but the big ticket items would require a bit more planning... :teacher:

TIA!

If your talking about only TDR it's iffy, there have been both positive and negative reports of cards being accepted/rejected at various places (stalls, shops, booths, ticket counters etc), so it's hard to say.

But the Tokyo Disney hotels should accept your card, I'm almost positive it says so on their website somewhere.

ELSE where, have cash on you. Japan is a cash based society and card accepting place's or machines that accept your card can be hard to find especially if your in a pickle.

Thanks! I do mean JUST for TDR and at the hotel (where I'm sure we'll get our tickets... we can just get them when we check in, right?) I wish I could just put the tickets on the bill now and pay it all before we leave... all the issues with foreign cards lately has me worried.:headache:

We'll hit up the ATM at Narita when we land and I'll be trying out the ATMs at 7-11 & a post office as soon as I can as well. I figure after the first day or two we'll know how much is appropriate for day to day and what works for incidentals - my bank verified I can take out up to $800 per day so I don't think we'll exchange money before we leave. I went ahead and put a travel notice on my debit account while I was on the phone and I'll do the CC calls closer to departure. I put notices on all of them - a couple years ago in Ireland literally every card but my USAA one was rejected at a fuel pump so I'm happy to continue taking the time to do it. The first place we are staying is already paid in full and I'm pretty sure we can get a suica card from a vending machine in Tokyo station when we get off the Nexpress... gosh anything else I should know? I plan on nabbing a sim for my iPhone at the airport also but I am guessing the kiosks would take cards since its in the international airport...

Last edited:
The first place we are staying is already paid in full and I'm pretty sure we can get a suica card from a vending machine in Tokyo station when we get off the Nexpress... gosh anything else I should know?

You might be able to buy the Suica card when you buy the N'ex ticket. Or there are also ticket machines at the airport. I believe you can only load Suica cards with cash though.

You might want to bring some cash in USD to exchange just in case you have any problems with the ATM.

I do too wonder what the situation of credit cards and TDR is. TDR site does have a warning: Please be informed that currently we are tightening the security on the use of credit card.

I was able to use the U.S. issued MC, VISA, and Amex cards at TDR last year. I did not have any issues at the ticketing center in Ikspiari, restaurants, gift shops, or popcorn carts. I hope that is still the case.

I got our Suica cards at the ticketing booth at Narita station, near ticketing gates (terminal 1). That is where we bought our Narita Express tickets too. Yes, the Suica card can be re-loaded with cash only, unless you have the Japan-issued Suica credit card.

I pre-ordered and paid WiFi rental and had it shipped to the hotel or airport post office for pickup. Are you trying to use SIM cards vending machine at the airport? According to NTT's website, credit card is the only method of accepted payment (VISA、Master、JCB、American Express、Diners Club).

Hope everything goes smooth for you! :)

I do too wonder what the situation of credit cards and TDR is. TDR site does have a warning: Please be informed that currently we are tightening the security on the use of credit card.

I was able to use the U.S. issued MC, VISA, and Amex cards at TDR last year. I did not have any issues at the ticketing center in Ikspiari, restaurants, gift shops, or popcorn carts. I hope that is still the case.

I got our Suica cards at the ticketing booth at Narita station, near ticketing gates (terminal 1). That is where we bought our Narita Express tickets too. Yes, the Suica card can be re-loaded with cash only, unless you have the Japan-issued Suica credit card.

I pre-ordered and paid WiFi rental and had it shipped to the hotel or airport post office for pickup. Are you trying to use SIM cards vending machine at the airport? According to NTT's website, credit card is the only method of accepted payment (VISA、Master、JCB、American Express、Diners Club).

Hope everything goes smooth for you! :)

Thank you! It is really great that both of you mentioned using cash to refill the suica cards... I assumed since you can do it at a machine that it would take cards. Stuff like this is why I fully intend to ALWAYS have a load of cash on us! I plan on trying a bunch of different CCs while Im at DLR just to see what happens... It sucks not knowing beforehand and even though I'm not sure how long that info will be useful, better to at least try to share an answer!

I was planning for it to be a manned kiosk - are they just vending machines...? The Airbnbs in Tokyo have little wifi routers we can use for free but I would still like to be able to use my phone as well when we are in Osaka at least so I was going to pick one up based on whoever has the best coverage in that area. Any ideas...? ^^;

You will have a LOAD of cash? Too bad I can only see a cute kitty in your avatar. :laughing:

I have read that trains and buses only accept cash to prevent people from buying tickets using credit cards and then re-selling them for cash. So Suica re-loading only accepts cash too.

But I believe JR (Japan Railways) now accepts credit cards at certain machines and at the peopled kiosks.

There are many SIM and pocket WiFi rental companies. Here is the info at Narita:
http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guide/service/list/svc_19

I don't know about the coverage and recommendations. I got a standard pocket WiFi from Global Advanced Communications and that was good enough for my occasional use.

We took a load of cash but found most places took cards we paid Disneyland Tickets at the gate places like small temples dont take cards .Street venders dont take them Our hotel in Kyoto ordered our Universal passes online for us as all Japanese even small bakeries in train station took cards was surprised .

I would say 95% of everything in TDL takes cards. I only used cash when I had to, and it was the carts that I remember being cash only. Most everything else takes cards. We used Visas, and that was it.

Suica cards we used cash on. Good luck! Have fun!

I would say 95% of everything in TDL takes cards. I only used cash when I had to, and it was the carts that I remember being cash only. Most everything else takes cards. We used Visas, and that was it.

Suica cards we used cash on. Good luck! Have fun!

Thats great - carts and temples and such I would have assumed took cash just like at home, so maybe Im not too far off the mark. :)

Last June when we were in Japan I was shocked at how many more places took credit cards and some places even took Discover now. Heck, the newest thing we saw is some shops and hotels were willing to charge us in US$ and not yen and the rate they used wasn't awful.

I always call my cards before I leave home to let them know I am going on a trip. That helps a lot unless you are spending $800-$1000 on weirder hobby items, not hotels. No one takes traveler's checks any more which is a huge change from my first trip to Japan, where even a lot of hotels would change them for you. In general post office ATMs tend to work with foreign cards and I remember specifically hitting up an ATM in Arashiyama that specialized in foreign cards.

If you visit the many JR offices with people they definitely do take credit cards. I usually charge my NEX tickets. I do have a Suica as well and I love that I can now use it in Kansai and don't have to get separate subway or bus fares there. At one point the JR office in Narita Airport had a special which included a NEX card.

Last June when we were in Japan I was shocked at how many more places took credit cards and some places even took Discover now. Heck, the newest thing we saw is some shops and hotels were willing to charge us in US$ and not yen and the rate they used wasn't awful.

I always call my cards before I leave home to let them know I am going on a trip. That helps a lot unless you are spending $800-$1000 on weirder hobby items, not hotels. No one takes traveler's checks any more which is a huge change from my first trip to Japan, where even a lot of hotels would change them for you. In general post office ATMs tend to work with foreign cards and I remember specifically hitting up an ATM in Arashiyama that specialized in foreign cards.

If you visit the many JR offices with people they definitely do take credit cards. I usually charge my NEX tickets. I do have a Suica as well and I love that I can now use it in Kansai and don't have to get separate subway or bus fares there. At one point the JR office in Narita Airport had a special which included a NEX card.

Since you mentioned many changes did you find that reloading the suica card still required cash..? Or were you able to top it up with a CC? TIA! :D

Since you mentioned many changes did you find that reloading the suica card still required cash..? Or were you able to top it up with a CC? TIA! :D

I am trying to remember. I could have sworn that there was a station or two (like Tokyo Station) where I could use my credit card to recharge my Suica, but I also always get some cash. I was more impressed that I could use my Suica in Kyoto and Osaka. It was always such a pain getting another card just for Osaka and Kyoto. My hotel was off the subway/Keihan line so my rail pass was not so helpful. And in Osaka I always go to Shinsaibashi, again a subway ride. I got my Suica when JR offered a special, 2500 yen one way on the NEX and it included a 1000 yen Suica card. It's why I had 3 Suica cards XD; (I turned one back in, but I still have 2 I think.)

My first trip to Japan was in 1999. Back then, there was a 10,000 yen limit before you could charge things. I remember seeing the limit drop to 5000 and then 2500 and now there are no limits. That's a huge change. No one took Discover Card, like no one, and now places take it. Heck, I got a deal with the hotel I booked in Tokyo a few days ago by using a credit card. My cell phone works in Japan and my bill for my 11 day trip was completely reasonable including calling the USA. These are enormous changes. My ATM card did not work everywhere. I remember getting really upset when I couldn't take out money from a Postal ATM in Kyoto. I ended up using a machine that specialized in foreign cards in Arashiyama.

Honestly, if you want to really know one way or another I would ask on the forum at japan-guide.com. Some of the people there are not so helpful and overly obsessed with budgetary travel, but I bet someone would know. I used them to get help with bus schedules since those can be harder to get in English. I was trying to get from Tsuroka to Haguro-san, back to Tsuroka and then onto Yamagata and then Zao before returning to Yamagata to catch the shinkansen.

You might be able to buy the Suica card when you buy the N'ex ticket. Or there are also ticket machines at the airport. I believe you can only load Suica cards with cash though.

You might want to bring some cash in USD to exchange just in case you have any problems with the ATM.

I can't speak to TDR but outside credit cards are becoming more and more accepted.

Suica (and Passmo, which you can buy at Narita) are cash only to buy and reload. When you get a new card, it's 500 yen for the card.

I was just there a week ago ;)

I am trying to remember. I could have sworn that there was a station or two (like Tokyo Station) where I could use my credit card to recharge my Suica, but I also always get some cash.
It would be great if I could use my credit card to reload Suica! :) Do you happen to have Suica View credit card? I can only find the info that the View card is the only credit card accepted to reload Suica. PASMO seems to accept more cards, but those cards are Japan issued cards too.
If could use my U.S. issued credit cards, I would not have to bring as much cash!

Inside TDR I had no problem using my international Visa, small ice cream/snack cards, only cash!

-We tried to buy tickets online from home and it just CONTINUALLY wouldn't work for me, I called Visa multiple times to sort things out, but they seemed to never get sorted out.
-We bought tickets at the Shibuya(?99%sure) Disney Store, and I ran into a problem. I had LITERALLY JUST used it to buy stuff at the Harajuku Disney Store, but it wouldn't accept it buying the tickets, not sure if it was because it was a larger amount of money or what, but I had to run around to find an atm and have a minor freak out because of it!

-Outside Disney card places were MUCH harder to find, we used cash mainly, atm's in 7-11 always worked with our cards, and yes, Pasmo/Suica cards are re-loaded with cash.

ALSO, depending on how long you're going to be in Japan/Tokyo, use googlemaps to try and get a general budget of how much your total transit is going to cost! We DID NOT do this, and Tokyo alone cost us well over $100 on our Pasmo cards, whereas the monthly pass would've been cheaper even though we were only there for a few weeks!

Inside TDR I had no problem using my international Visa, small ice cream/snack cards, only cash!

-We tried to buy tickets online from home and it just CONTINUALLY wouldn't work for me, I called Visa multiple times to sort things out, but they seemed to never get sorted out.
-We bought tickets at the Shibuya(?99%sure) Disney Store, and I ran into a problem. I had LITERALLY JUST used it to buy stuff at the Harajuku Disney Store, but it wouldn't accept it buying the tickets, not sure if it was because it was a larger amount of money or what, but I had to run around to find an atm and have a minor freak out because of it!

-Outside Disney card places were MUCH harder to find, we used cash mainly, atm's in 7-11 always worked with our cards, and yes, Pasmo/Suica cards are re-loaded with cash.

ALSO, depending on how long you're going to be in Japan/Tokyo, use googlemaps to try and get a general budget of how much your total transit is going to cost! We DID NOT do this, and Tokyo alone cost us well over $100 on our Pasmo cards, whereas the monthly pass would've been cheaper even though we were only there for a few weeks!

was there a reason you chose to go with pasmo cards over the suica one? I honestly cant make out the difference..?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter