How is the DAS working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of getting a DAS card for my DD who has Horner's Syndrome with severe anhidrosis caused by a cancerous tumor. Her sweating dysfunction causes her over heat quickly. We have always been able to keep her from getting heat stroke, but there have been times at WDW where she does get over heated in line waiting in the heat and humidity. She explains it as "not having any air." First signs that she is becoming over heated are a harlequin flushing of the face followed by a rash all over her body. At this point we know to get out of line find someplace with 'air' and get her a cool drink ore Popsicle. It would be great is a DAS card would allow us to hold a spot in line and come back at a designated time. This would save her from getting overheated and the humiliation of getting the harlequin face and rejoining the rest if our family toward the end of the queue. We have been met with some snide remarks by other guest when trying to return to the line. My DD is 11, so it is not like coming back to the line with a little one who needed a potty visit.... And just to state the obvious. We a don't go during the summer months. Due to jobs and school schedules we are limited to either going in the spring or summer months. We choose early spring to try an avoid the heat as much as possible.

Do you think I will have trouble getting a DAS card?

Bolding mine, because I have a specific question about the privacy issue, as I've seen many complain about it.

Guests had to explain their needs previously in order to get the GAC, no? I know that the times we used it, we had to. I'm confused as to why it was no issue to explain needs with the GAC, yet so many don't seem happy about having to explain needs with the DAS.
I brought up privacy as something that could be helped if or when DAS is incorporated into FastPass+. At the rides themselves, there's a big to-do of getting a cast member who studies the DAS, studies the picture, calls out for a pen, figures out what time to write, all while other guests are streaming past. No one wants to be gawked at and it's reasonable for people to be curious but it did seem like the GAC was more discreet.

All things considered, the DAS worked just fine. It's a good and necessary program and if the changes help cut abuse or keep it going for people who need it, then that's to the good.

I brought up privacy as something that could be helped if or when DAS is incorporated into FastPass+. At the rides themselves, there's a big to-do of getting a cast member who studies the DAS, studies the picture, calls out for a pen, figures out what time to write, all while other guests are streaming past. No one wants to be gawked at and it's reasonable for people to be curious but it did seem like the GAC was more discreet.

All things considered, the DAS worked just fine. It's a good and necessary program and if the changes help cut abuse or keep it going for people who need it, then that's to the good.

So other than the cm having a pen and a clock of some kind it's the same. Find cm, show them card, they read card, maybe ask whose it is, determine the correct accommodation for the situation (that is an extra gac specific step ;) ) and then you go on your way.

I believe that several of the people in this thread who are referring to it being embarrassing to have to explain over and over are referring to issues not covered by the DAS. In the past, a person who needed to avoid stairs or have walkways slowed had a GAC with a stamp indicating this so there was no need to saying anything other than maybe answering a simple question (ex. do you need it slowed or stopped) but now the person has to initiate a discussion about what they need at each of these attractions.

My suggestion for people in this position is to print cards saying VERY briefly what you need (ex. I need moving walkways slowed down). You'll still have to answer the same questions as before with the GAC but you won't have to discuss much out loud as it's written down so it'll be more like when you just had to show the GAC with this kind of mobility stamp. At least this way people can be much more specific about their needs than with the generic stamps.

I'm thinking of getting a DAS card for my DD who has Horner's Syndrome with severe anhidrosis caused by a cancerous tumor. Her sweating dysfunction causes her over heat quickly. We have always been able to keep her from getting heat stroke, but there have been times at WDW where she does get over heated in line waiting in the heat and humidity. She explains it as "not having any air." First signs that she is becoming over heated are a harlequin flushing of the face followed by a rash all over her body. At this point we know to get out of line find someplace with 'air' and get her a cool drink ore Popsicle. It would be great is a DAS card would allow us to hold a spot in line and come back at a designated time. This would save her from getting overheated and the humiliation of getting the harlequin face and rejoining the rest if our family toward the end of the queue. We have been met with some snide remarks by other guest when trying to return to the line. My DD is 11, so it is not like coming back to the line with a little one who needed a potty visit.... And just to state the obvious. We a don't go during the summer months. Due to jobs and school schedules we are limited to either going in the spring or summer months. We choose early spring to try an avoid the heat as much as possible.

Do you think I will have trouble getting a DAS card?
If you have not read post one of the WDW DAS thread here, I would suggest checking it out:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3178976

Post one of that thread is FAQs about the DAS.

When requesting a DAS, you want to avoid medical terms - CMs won't know what "Horner's Syndrome...severe anhidrosis or harlequin appearance of the face" mean or what needs she might have related to those conditions.
They don't need the information about what conditions she has.
What they need to know from you or your daughter is how these things affect her ability to wait in the regular line.
You want to explain clearly, but concisely what her concerns and needs are.
Because the DAS deals with waiting in line, keep your comments to what needs she would have in lines/waiting.

It embarrassing to explain is a complaint I see often but it's really no different than when you had to explain why you needed a gac. To get a gac you had to explain to get a das you have to explain. The only difference is the gac usually got you right on to the ride via fp line or back door and with the das you have to wait.

I've given a brief explanation and received a GAC. I've been stared down and interrogated...almost reduced to begging for a card. It really depends on the CM.

Do you think my giving a written explanation for my daughter will work out most of the time? Her issue is not apparent, is somewhat new, and she is at 'that' age (16 to be exact). She is ok with the photo part as long as she may remain mute.

Option two is lots of just walking around people watching, which is what we do mostly anyhow. Now that we are too cool for Peter Pan.

So other than the cm having a pen and a clock of some kind it's the same. Find cm, show them card, they read card, maybe ask whose it is, determine the correct accommodation for the situation (that is an extra gac specific step ;) ) and then you go on your way.

So you have to explain your needs to each CM at each attraction??? :headache: That's going to be uncomfortable for some, including my DH, who doesn't like to discuss his issues with everyone. He was ok with explaining it to the GS CMs once but he's not going to be happy about this.

So you have to explain your needs to each CM at each attraction??? :headache: That's going to be uncomfortable for some, including my DH, who doesn't like to discuss his issues with everyone. He was ok with explaining it to the GS CMs once but he's not going to be happy about this.

It depends. If you need the walkways slowed or stopped, yes. If you have a DAS and it meets your needs, no.

I believe that several of the people in this thread who are referring to it being embarrassing to have to explain over and over are referring to issues not covered by the DAS. In the past, a person who needed to avoid stairs or have walkways slowed had a GAC with a stamp indicating this so there was no need to saying anything other than maybe answering a simple question (ex. do you need it slowed or stopped) but now the person has to initiate a discussion about what they need at each of these attractions.

My suggestion for people in this position is to print cards saying VERY briefly what you need (ex. I need moving walkways slowed down). You'll still have to answer the same questions as before with the GAC but you won't have to discuss much out loud as it's written down so it'll be more like when you just had to show the GAC with this kind of mobility stamp. At least this way people can be much more specific about their needs than with the generic stamps.

I just love everything about this idea. :thumbsup2

The people over at DIS Designs could probably make these cards look really nice.

So if you just need a return time then no need to explain again?

Right, if you have a DAS you just get your return time, go about your day, and come back once your wait period is over. The only time you explain the actual indeed is at GR when obtaining the card.

Right, if you have a DAS you just get your return time, go about your day, and come back once your wait period is over. The only time you explain the actual indeed is at GR when obtaining the card.

Unless you have a DAS and need other things. For example: slowing or stopping walkways, sitting near the front, etc. Some people can have the DAS and have multiple needs. The DAS doesn't tell what specific needs are (unlike the GAC)

Unless you have a DAS and need other things. For example: slowing or stopping walkways, sitting near the front, etc. Some people can have the DAS and have multiple needs. The DAS doesn't tell what specific needs are (unlike the GAC)

Yes, and I had already said that in conversation with the poster. They said they just need the return time.

The only difference is, the CM's aren't obligated to meet the needs written on personal, non-DAS cards like they were with the GAC's. I have no problem verbally explaining my needs, and did so plenty of times in the old days, but there were times when I could talk myself blue in the face but producing and showing the official GAC with the official stamp was the only thing that would get them to actually give me the accommodation I had been verbally asking for.

So, the same CM's who are unwilling to slow a walkway or let you sit where you can see are going to be unwilling no matter what method you use to make your request.

I leave today for WDW, getting there tomorrow. I am so worried about the DAS and hope that it works out ok for our family. We have a large group (14 most days, with 1-3 more joining sometimes) and we have a large variety of medical needs. The GAC was so nice as it had the stamps and most CMs knew exactly what to do just by glancing at the card. I do not want to hold up a line to explain each of our needs at certain attractions. I hope we can still get plenty of rides/attractions in each day we are at a park but will not count on as many as before. We are not staying onsite so we have not been able to make FP+ plans so that also is against us too.

Just in our party of 6 we have a child with cerebral palsy that will require stroller as a wheelchair he also gets overheated so somewhere to wait for a ride vs. standing in hot line. A child with heart issues, neuropathy and easy exhaustion, we will have a double stroller as they both need stroller as a wheelchair. Any myself, I can not sit, stand or walk too long without severe pain, must be able to rotate what Im doing, I also can not do stairs, steep ramps or moving walkways.

Is there any tips or advice that anyone can offer? How to get the best out of our day? Things to avoid or do to make this more efficient?

I have found this thread interesting as we were a family who have used the GAC in the past. We went about twice a year and enjoyed our trips a great deal. However, since the arrival of the DAS we have stopped going. No, we haven't tried it yet so I can't say that it works or does not. One of the reasons that we went to Disney (and gave Disney our money) was that it was easy. I could take both children (one in a wheelchair) by myself and we could have a great time. Now, I am concerned with having to explain our needs multiple times (this is not fair to my son as we discuss behavioral needs or other needs) and having to find somewhere to spend the time between rides as we wait for our times. We are doing other parks this summer to see how they handle his needs and then we might attempt Disney in a few years after all of the kinks of Fastpass+ and DAS have been worked out. I just want to thank everyone for sharing their experiences and ideas as it has given me a good idea of the differences in what we might experience when/if we return.

I have found this thread interesting as we were a family who have used the GAC in the past. We went about twice a year and enjoyed our trips a great deal. However, since the arrival of the DAS we have stopped going. No, we haven't tried it yet so I can't say that it works or does not. One of the reasons that we went to Disney (and gave Disney our money) was that it was easy. I could take both children (one in a wheelchair) by myself and we could have a great time. Now, I am concerned with having to explain our needs multiple times (this is not fair to my son as we discuss behavioral needs or other needs) and having to find somewhere to spend the time between rides as we wait for our times. We are doing other parks this summer to see how they handle his needs and then we might attempt Disney in a few years after all of the kinks of Fastpass+ and DAS have been worked out. I just want to thank everyone for sharing their experiences and ideas as it has given me a good idea of the differences in what we might experience when/if we return.
Just to clarify - you should not need to explain his needs multiple times.
You will need to discuss his needs at Guest Relations when you request a DAS card for him.
But, unless you need something specific at attractions, like moving walkways stopped, you should not need to explain his needs again.

If you haven't read the WDW DAS thread, I think you would find the first post in that thread (the DAS FAQs ) helpful.

Is there any tips or advice that anyone can offer? How to get the best out of our day? Things to avoid or do to make this more efficient?

Your list of severe physical disabilities will be completely ignored by GS so put more emphasis on the mental disabilities that are acknowledged by Disney (autism; ADHD; or any other sensory disorder). Your children have no business being stuck out in that heat while waiting in a stand-by queue. Good luck on obtaining a DAS.

We didn't have to explain our sons needs more than once... honestly we didn't even have to do it once. We said we needed a DAS and they gave it to us. I was prepared to in guest services but they just came around and took his picture and gifted us with an anytime FP to use too!!! My son has a mitochondrial disorder... he uses a wheelchair, has a feeding tube, autistic tendencies, seizure disorder and so on.

Having been to the parks before it was easy to plan and coordinate DAS and FP+ and shorter wait rides... as well as meals, snacks, shows, breaks etc. we never waited and never sat around doing nothing. It really worked well... Honestly better than the GAC as we got more accomplished with a better plan and less people using passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter