How is the DAS working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh please you act like people are being forced to actually go on vacation in a place where there is heat, humidity and crowds. If they feel they can't wait in line, they need to explain to a cm why and ask for an accommodation. I have two disabled children and a nephew who is severely physically disabled, you know before you say I don't understand. Families with disabled members have built in limits on what they can do. Its a fact of life. My dd can't handle the beach, so I don't expect the operators of the beach to remove the sand and sun and heat so she can be accommodated. If you go to Florida, especially in the summer, its hot, humid and crowded. If you can't handle that, then its time to reevaluate whether its a good vacation destination.

Huh? What? Are you saying a child who can't handle the heat for medical reasons should miss out on going to WDW because there are people out there who are unsympathetic to to their needs.

Wow!

Huh? What? Are you saying a child who can't handle the heat for medical reasons should miss out on going to WDW because there are people out there who are unsympathetic to to their needs. Wow!

I don't think that's what she meant. I think she was expressing the need for a bit of personal responsibility, which the poster she was responding to clearly doesn't agree with. There's only so much Disney, or any business, can do in regards to certain accommodations.

Please show me anywhere where it says that the GAC or DAS was originally meant for those who can't handle the heat or were physically disabled? Saying it doesn't mean its true. And I'm not callous, I'm a realist. I don't take my DD to the beach even though as a child I grew up on the beach and loved it, because she cannot handle it. To take a person who can't handle the heat to Florida, in the summer and then expect them not to have to deal with the side effect of their disability is simply not realistic.

Who says they go in the summer? We avoid the summer for just this reason. So by your way of thinking... I should tell my DD, so sorry you had cancer that left you with a syndrome that causes your body to get overheated easily. We can never take you to Disney World because it is too hot there. Forget that there are ways to make it possible. We are just going to let other people's opinions ruin our vacation.... Ummm, no!

DVCJones said:
Who says they go in the summer? We avoid the summer for just this reason. So by your way of thinking... I should tell my DD, so sorry you had cancer that left you with a syndrome that causes your body to get overheated easily. We can never take you to Disney World because it is too hot there. Forget that there are ways to make it possible. We are just going to let other people's opinions ruin our vacation.... Ummm, no!

Why can you not go in Nov, Dec, Jan, or Feb?? They accommodate by staying open year round. Many theme parks do not do this.

If you can't tolerate the heat for the 20-30 minute wait for a moving line, how are you handling the heat waiting for the parking lot tram, riding the tram, walking into the park, bag check, just walking thru the park, and so on? I'ts called personal responsibility. You don't go in the spring or summer, period. You go when it isn't hot, if you can't go then , then you don't go. My Mother had severe lung disease after a certain point they would only go in the winter, she knew her limitations and dealt with them she didn't expect the world to change for her.

What if your only options are to go in summer or spring? We go in the spring due to work and school schedules. Our DD has a medical condition and overheats easily, feels like she can't breathe. All while wearing a cool wrap and having a misting fan. Her condition is real and she has missed out on a lot of things like playing sports, summer camp, etc. WDW is a place where my DD doesn't have to miss out because of her condition.

Thankfully the people a WDW think differently than you!

Who said stay home because of peoples opinion?

People are saying you have to take personal responsibility and plan when you go, that it isn't Disney's problem if you go in August and get over heated. that you need to do what you have to do to make it possible not expect Disney to take care of you. At least that is what I"m seeing.

What if your only options are to go in summer or spring? We go in the spring due to work and school schedules. Our DD has a medical condition and overheats easily, feels like she can't breathe. All while wearing a cool wrap and having a misting fan. Her condition is real and she has missed out on a lot of things like playing sports, summer camp, etc. WDW is a place where my DD doesn't have to miss out because of her condition. Thankfully the people a WDW think differently than you!

If the only time you go is during the hotter periods, you just have to weigh whether or not your DD can handle it with cooling methods and what Disney can help with. It sounds like she's fine. If after your cooling methods and what Disney can offer isn't working you'd have to evaluate if it's a good vacation spot for your DD. Just like you evaluated sports and summer camp.

Everyone has to make that determination when they have a disabled family member. No one thinks your DD should just skip it.

What if your only options are to go in summer or spring? We go in the spring due to work and school schedules. Our DD has a medical condition and overheats easily, feels like she can't breathe. All while wearing a cool wrap and having a misting fan. Her condition is real and she has missed out on a lot of things like playing sports, summer camp, etc. WDW is a place where my DD doesn't have to miss out because of her condition.

Thankfully the people a WDW think differently than you!

I don't get what you are arguing? If your DD can tolerate being in the park using the DAS then what is the problem? No one is saying she shouldn't be there.
I don't think they do think differently.

And it is your responsibility to pick a time that she can tolerate and if you can't go except when it is hot then maybe you don't go for a few years until schedules change. That happens to everyone not just people using the DAS. Non DAS users have to tell their children no also.

Why can you not go in Nov, Dec, Jan, or Feb?? They accommodate by staying open year round. Many theme parks do not do this.

Not everyone can choose their vacation time. Due to work schedules, school and job seniority some people get stuck with a particular week and that is it!!! FWIW. We don't go to any theme parks, camping or other outdoor activities in the summer months. Sometimes we can manage the beach or pool days if humidity levels are low and she can cool off in the water as needed. However, we often can't make a day out of it. Additionally, we had central AC installed in our home the first week we moved in because my DD has to have a place to go in the summer. So this is not just a WDW thing. It is a lifestyle for her.

Not everyone can choose their vacation time. Due to work schedules, school and job seniority some people get stuck with a particular week and that is it!!! FWIW. We don't go to any theme parks, camping or other outdoor activities in the summer months. Sometimes we can manage the beach or pool days if humidity levels are low and she can cool off in the water as needed. However, we often can't make a day out of it. Additionally, we had central AC installed in our home the first week we moved in because my DD has to have a place to go in the summer. So this is not just a WDW thing. It is a lifestyle for her.

I think that's the point that everyone is making. The lifestyle caused by heat intolerance doesn't stop at WDW and the same care needs to be taken there as anywhere else. Obviously you've applied that to WDW just like other places. The original poster you quoted was responding to someone who clearly doesn't feel those things need to be taken into consideration.

I don't get what you are arguing? If your DD can tolerate being in the park using the DAS then what is the problem? No one is saying she shouldn't be there. I don't think they do think differently. And it is your responsibility to pick a time that she can tolerate and if you can't go except when it is hot then maybe you don't go for a few years until schedules change. That happens to everyone not just people using the DAS. Non DAS users have to tell their children no also.

No, I'm addressing the people who think that a medical condition that causes a child to overheat easily is not worthy of a DAS. Some people here feel like they need to judge what others need are.

I plan on taking responsibility for my DD and her condition by avoiding the summer months and go during the only other time we can. (April) I also plan on getting a DAS card for my DD and use it at the MK, HS and AK only. We can usually manage Epcot as most attractions are air conditioned.

I got heated (no pun intended) when I read others judgemental opinions on who deserves a DAS and who doesn't. I don't think anyone on the DIS is qualified to do that.

No, I'm addressing the people who think that a medical condition that causes a child to overheat easily is not worthy of a DAS. Some people here feel like they need to judge what others need are. I plan on taking responsibility for my DD and her condition by avoiding the summer months and go during the only other time we can. (April) I also plan on getting a DAS card for my DD and use it at the MK, HS and AK only. We can usually manage Epcot as most attractions are air conditioned. I got heated (no pun intended) when I read others judgemental opinions on who deserves a DAS and who doesn't. I don't think anyone on the DIS is qualified to do that.

I didn't see anyone say overheating isn't worthy of a DAS? It was pointed out that it won't help with everything so there has to be some persona precaution and care taken where the DAS won't help, like waiting for the bus, or for an outside character, etc.

Closing because some posters got into personal attacks and sarcasm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter