• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How bad are masks in July?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have been saying for a while that some states General population shouldn't expect to even have access to possibly get vaccinated until summer.

Have to remeber WDW is partially responding to lowest common demoninator when it comes to who does or does not have access to vaccination and how things are going from an ongoing outbreak perspective.

Our county opens to 65+ tomorrow but started making appointments this week. The next available appointment was mid March as of yesterday afternoon. The anticipation is that it will take us either to or through (ICR) May to get through the 65+ category and move onto essential workers. It seems like you are able to get the vaccine in neighboring counties though and if that proves to be the case then hopefully we will clear the 65+ category well before May. As an immune compromised person I was hoping to get at least my first shot in April but its looking like it could be as late as mid summer to get to my category if the current timelines that are being quoted are accurate. There is one more category after mine before it gets to general population here.

I am really hoping that the federal change in administration helps to speed up the timeline, I am not trying to be political but this change is really the only spot of hope I have had for the last couple of weeks. I hope for all of our sake the change does help.

My family and I went for a week last July 2020, a day after the parks reopened. We all wore masks on property unless we were in our resort room. We didn't have any issues wearing masks. In our daily lives/jobs we are required to wear masks at all times as well. I personally don't go anywhere without them now.

We went in July and then again in December. In our opinions, July was better because it was hot enough to evaporate the moisture we exhaled. It made our masks feel less humid and provided a little evaporative cooling.

What are the rules for masks by resort pools?

If I'm in a lounger do I need to wear one?
If I'm sitting in a chair at a umbrella table do I need to wear one?
Do you need to wear one anywhere inside the fenced in pool area?
I assume you don't need one if you are in a pool or hot tub?

Thanks,
Dan

What are the rules for masks by resort pools?

If I'm in a lounger do I need to wear one?
If I'm sitting in a chair at a umbrella table do I need to wear one?
Do you need to wear one anywhere inside the fenced in pool area?
I assume you don't need one if you are in a pool or hot tub?

Thanks,
Dan
Only place in the pool area where s mask os needed is at the pool bar/snack place when ordering food/drinks, or at the towel hut where attendant is stacking towels. Otherwise just be courteous and keep some space between you and other guests (eg don’t go sit next to someone in the hot tub)

Only place in the pool area where s mask os needed is at the pool bar/snack place when ordering food/drinks, or at the towel hut where attendant is stacking towels. Otherwise just be courteous and keep some space between you and other guests (eg don’t go sit next to someone in the hot tub)

Thank you!

Dan

Don't romance them, they're awful. Also that can not be healthy breathing the same hot air trapped in a film, but alas we do what we gotta do.

Lets hope this will end soon, but if you go when it's hot know what you're getting into...

I’ve gone during many summers and I’m here now with the masks. No way I could do them together. I personally would not spend money to be that miserable.

We’re planning a summer trip, late June or July. We visited last year in October and found the mask-wearing a challenge. The big issue for us is that where we live, there isn’t any humidity. Even though my daughter (9) and I are both diligent mask-wearers, nothing could have prepared us for wearing a mask in heat + humidity. We found we needed to take frequent mask breaks. We also underestimated the need drink water while waiting in lines outside in the direct sun. We tried not remove our masks while in line, but my daughter almost fainted our first day while in the FEA line. After that, we made sure we had water before we got into a line and pulled our masks down quickly to stay hydrated as we waited. (We only did this outside. We didn‘t need to take them off in the indoor lines. It was standing in the direct sun that was problematic.) It was rough the first few days, but by the end we were getting used to it.

We recently visited the Galapagos (also hot and humid), and I had different masks along, which I found made a big difference. At Disney in October, I was using a homemade cloth mask, but I have since discovered performance masks. It was a big difference. These masks are made from a lighter weight material (still protective, but not heavier cotton like the self-made cloth mask), which made it more comfortable to me. It has two layers and a pocket for a filter (which I use on airplanes or other times I’m indoors with other people).
These are the masks that I like: https://www.bocogear.com/product/performance-x-mask-black/
They make non-performance masks that I like also and wear as my everyday masks. I find performance masks perfect for being outside in heat and humidity.

Mask material is such a personal preference, though. My daughter has a few of the performance masks that I like, and she tells me she doesn’t like them. She still prefers the homemade cloth masks.
I bought this mask and have had it about a month. I love it! It’s now my favorite mask. Just bought 3 more!

I’d plan to become an early riser. If staying on property, even more so. I’d definitely become those people who went back to my hotel for lunch/rest from 12-3. Or did a sit down lunch somewhere. That heat would get me!

We are bringing cooling towels, fans and UV umbrellas. I figure the umbrella won't be bothersome to people in line if they are following the 6 foot rule and if the aren't then it is an added layer of protection. I am also considering wide brim hats as well. I am not looking forward to the heat of June and masks but my husband really wanted to celebrate his 50th in Disney and that happens to be in June.

I'm going in July (I have to use some DVC points before August 1). I plan to find out before I go if/where there are any mask-free relaxation spots that are indoors, and make use of them.

Piggybacking on this thread a bit regarding staying hydrated while wearing a mask at the parks. I'm a huge water drinker and want to make sure the family gets enough fluids on our June trip. Is it true the current rule is that you have to be seated to be able to take a drink of water? I mean, I get having to be seated to take your mask off for a meal or snack, but no taking a quick sip while waiting in line? Does anyone think they may relax this rule in particular as the temps increase?

What we did while waiting in line was to make sure we had our metal straws with us. That way it was possible to have a drink while in line just by slipping the straw underneath the mask without lifting the mask up.

The other thing which was really helpful last August was to have multiple masks so you could change your mask if it got feeling sweaty. The other thing that I did was we carried Aveeno make up wipes. Neither I nor my DH was wearing make up, but the wipes helped to cool your face off and make you feel cleaner. Neutrogena makes similar cleansing towels.

What we did while waiting in line was to make sure we had our metal straws with us. That way it was possible to have a drink while in line just by slipping the straw underneath the mask without lifting the mask up.

The other thing which was really helpful last August was to have multiple masks so you could change your mask if it got feeling sweaty. The other thing that I did was we carried Aveeno make up wipes. Neither I nor my DH was wearing make up, but the wipes helped to cool your face off and make you feel cleaner. Neutrogena makes similar cleansing towels.

Thanks for the reply! The staying hydrated is always my biggest concern, masks or no masks. I'll put metal straws on my packing list! Really appreciate the tips.

Anyone have tips for sunglasses fogging with the disposable masks? I need to use my prescription sunglasses and I’ve been practicing with the mask at home and I’m getting fogging. Any tips? The metal strips are on order from Amazon. Anything more I can do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter