How bad are masks in July?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maryj11

DIS Veteran
I’m kind of frustrated right now. We have a December trip booked, but may have to cancel. Next option is July. They have some great rates for the week after the 4th of July. Then I forgot about masks! I’m not sure we can do masks in the heat.
What was your experience with wearing a mask in the summer heat?

I’m kind of frustrated right now. We have a December trip booked, but may have to cancel. Next option is July. They have some great rates for the week after the 4th of July. Then I forgot about masks! I’m not sure we can do masks in the heat.
I did it this past July when they reopened. Then I came home and cancelled our APs.:scared:
I’m a nurse and have to suffer enough wearing one for 12 hours at work and the heat was even more unbearable.
Disposable level 1 masks are your best bet if you choose to give it a go. They are light weight and you can pull out a fresh one when yours gets sweaty/dirty/wet.

I did it this past July when they reopened. Then I came home and cancelled our APs.:scared:
I’m a nurse and have to suffer enough wearing one for 12 hours at work and the heat was even more unbearable.
Disposable level 1 masks are your best bet if you choose to give it a go. They are light weight and you can pull out a fresh one when yours gets sweaty/dirty/wet.
Thanks ! Yes I kind of like the disposable ones best.

We were there in July 2020. My DH wore cloth masks and I found the paper disposables most comfortable. Neither of us had problems getting overheated (he's slightly fluffy and I'm quite plush). We did bring extras each day and after riding SDD in a downpour (iconic photopass photo!), we were especially happy to have them! Have a great trip! (edited to add that photo :crazy2: )

Last edited:
We were there in July 2020. My DH wore cloth masks and I found the paper disposables most comfortable. Neither of us had problems getting overheated (he's slightly fluffy and I'm quite plush). We did bring extras each day and after riding SDD in a downpour (iconic photopass photo!), we were especially happy to have them! Have a great trip! (edited to add that photo :crazy2: )
View attachment 549564
Love the photo! Thanks!

We were there in July 2020 as well. The masks weren't great, but manageable. Like others have said, disposable are better. I think the bigger concern would be waiting in much longer lines outside with little or no shade. Last July lines were very short, now they are much longer.

I was there first week in August, 99 degrees out walking around Epcot with one of the blue disposable masks. Honestly, it wasn't any worse than without a mask. They do not increase your body heat. I also hate long sleeves and am finicky about certain types of clothing, too, but the mask was surprisingly not bad at all

Am I looking forward to returning someday without a mask? Yes. But it definitely doesn't keep me away.

We were there in July 2020 as well. The masks weren't great, but manageable. Like others have said, disposable are better. I think the bigger concern would be waiting in much longer lines outside with little or no shade. Last July lines were very short, now they are much longer.
Yes longer lines would be torture.

I was there first week in August, 99 degrees out walking around Epcot with one of the blue disposable masks. Honestly, it wasn't any worse than without a mask. They do not increase your body heat. I also hate long sleeves and am finicky about certain types of clothing, too, but the mask was surprisingly not bad at all

Am I looking forward to returning someday without a mask? Yes. But it definitely doesn't keep me away.
Good to hear !

Another thing to consider is that there is a temperature checkpoint at the park entrances, and some folks have to walk to it with a mask on from REALLY far back in the parking lot at Epcot (guess how I know this :rolleyes: ). If masks actually made us hotter, that temp check would be a serious problem.

it's really about the right mask AND your level of tolerance
I use the blue ones. I tried a cute, cloth one once and didn't last more than an hour.
With the blue one I've worked outside for 8-10 hour shifts (at SWO) also visited the parks since they reopened in June, playing in the parks for about 5 hours each time, I got used to them

it's really about the right mask AND your level of tolerance
I use the blue ones. I tried a cute, cloth one once and didn't last more than an hour.
With the blue one I've worked outside for 8-10 hour shifts (at SWO) also visited the parks since they reopened in June, playing in the parks for about 5 hours each time, I got used to them
Thanks! Yeah I haven’t worn one outside for no more then an hour when I was doing some sanding on my deck. I was also moving my arms a lot so that probably made it worse. I had to keep taking breaks.

This is actually a very good point. There were little to no lines July 2020.

We were there last August and used two different types of masks. I prefer cloth masks, and found my cloth mask comfortable all day. Comfortable meaning that I was really hot at Disney, but not because of my mask. My DH prefers paper masks. And he had a similar experience. I think two things were helpful. First we took extra masks so that we could change them out easily when we were sweaty. Also, I packed Aveeno make up wipes. I don’t wear make up, neither does my husband, but we found that using one of those really help to cool our faces off and made us feel much cleaner. I think I will actually keep doing this in the future even when we don’t have to wear a mask. We use Aveeno because they’re hypoallergenic, I would think Neutrogena would have a similar effect. You could also use some thing like Honest baby wipes.

We were there last August and used two different types of masks. I prefer cloth masks, and found my cloth mask comfortable all day. Comfortable meaning that I was really hot at Disney, but not because of my mask. My DH prefers paper masks. And he had a similar experience. I think two things were helpful. First we took extra masks so that we could change them out easily when we were sweaty. Also, I packed Aveeno make up wipes. I don’t wear make up, neither does my husband, but we found that using one of those really help to cool our faces off and made us feel much cleaner. I think I will actually keep doing this in the future even when we don’t have to wear a mask. We use Aveeno because they’re hypoallergenic, I would think Neutrogena would have a similar effect. You could also use some thing like Honest baby wipes.
Thanks for the advice on the wipes. I will keep that in mind when packing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter