• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How bad are masks in July?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly it wasn’t that bad we went when they first opened again the 3rd week in July. I was ok with taking water breaks. My parents and husband bought next fans off Amazon and we’re good
We have a few misting fans from going in previous years. We will definitely bring them.

By all the comments you can see it's a personal level of tolerance. Some of us work long outdoor shifts while wearing them and have no issues some can't stand even a couple of hours in the sun. The only way to know is practicing before coming and seeing what you're level is
Definitely. We went in September for Labor Day weekend, and it was blazing hot. I didn't like the heat at all, but I didn't feel that the masks made it all that much worse at all. My wife disagreed though.

We’re planning a summer trip, late June or July. We visited last year in October and found the mask-wearing a challenge. The big issue for us is that where we live, there isn’t any humidity. Even though my daughter (9) and I are both diligent mask-wearers, nothing could have prepared us for wearing a mask in heat + humidity. We found we needed to take frequent mask breaks. We also underestimated the need drink water while waiting in lines outside in the direct sun. We tried not remove our masks while in line, but my daughter almost fainted our first day while in the FEA line. After that, we made sure we had water before we got into a line and pulled our masks down quickly to stay hydrated as we waited. (We only did this outside. We didn‘t need to take them off in the indoor lines. It was standing in the direct sun that was problematic.) It was rough the first few days, but by the end we were getting used to it.

We recently visited the Galapagos (also hot and humid), and I had different masks along, which I found made a big difference. At Disney in October, I was using a homemade cloth mask, but I have since discovered performance masks. It was a big difference. These masks are made from a lighter weight material (still protective, but not heavier cotton like the self-made cloth mask), which made it more comfortable to me. It has two layers and a pocket for a filter (which I use on airplanes or other times I’m indoors with other people).
These are the masks that I like: https://www.bocogear.com/product/performance-x-mask-black/
They make non-performance masks that I like also and wear as my everyday masks. I find performance masks perfect for being outside in heat and humidity.

Mask material is such a personal preference, though. My daughter has a few of the performance masks that I like, and she tells me she doesn’t like them. She still prefers the homemade cloth masks.

We’re planning a summer trip, late June or July. We visited last year in October and found the mask-wearing a challenge. The big issue for us is that where we live, there isn’t any humidity. Even though my daughter (9) and I are both diligent mask-wearers, nothing could have prepared us for wearing a mask in heat + humidity. We found we needed to take frequent mask breaks. We also underestimated the need drink water while waiting in lines outside in the direct sun. We tried not remove our masks while in line, but my daughter almost fainted our first day while in the FEA line. After that, we made sure we had water before we got into a line and pulled our masks down quickly to stay hydrated as we waited. (We only did this outside. We didn‘t need to take them off in the indoor lines. It was standing in the direct sun that was problematic.) It was rough the first few days, but by the end we were getting used to it.

We recently visited the Galapagos (also hot and humid), and I had different masks along, which I found made a big difference. At Disney in October, I was using a homemade cloth mask, but I have since discovered performance masks. It was a big difference. These masks are made from a lighter weight material (still protective, but not heavier cotton like the self-made cloth mask), which made it more comfortable to me. It has two layers and a pocket for a filter (which I use on airplanes or other times I’m indoors with other people).
These are the masks that I like: https://www.bocogear.com/product/performance-x-mask-black/
They make non-performance masks that I like also and wear as my everyday masks. I find performance masks perfect for being outside in heat and humidity.

Mask material is such a personal preference, though. My daughter has a few of the performance masks that I like, and she tells me she doesn’t like them. She still prefers the homemade cloth masks.
Thanks for the info and the link. I will definitely buy one and try it out.

I’m kind of frustrated right now. We have a December trip booked, but may have to cancel. Next option is July. They have some great rates for the week after the 4th of July. Then I forgot about masks! I’m not sure we can do masks in the heat.
What was your experience with wearing a mask in the summer heat?
My daughter and I went on our usual August trip last year. The masks made an already hot/humid time more hot and humid but we still had a great time. We did find ourselves taking more breaks than usual, switching out masks twice a day- and the best addition was we purchased Powerade. One day I really was not feeling well at all- totally drained, and like I was goi g to need to go back to room for AC or no-mask pool time. I had never had Powerade before and we were walking past a cart and I purchased one. My daughter and I split it- and holy smokes- what a difference. I was feeling so much better and ready to carry on our day with just a half bottle. For the rest of the trip- we split a bottle mid morning- like ten-ish and again around 2-4 pm. I never drank the stuff before in my life and though that kind d of stuff was all hype- but I am a believer now.

I did it this past July when they reopened. Then I came home and cancelled our APs.:scared:
I’m a nurse and have to suffer enough wearing one for 12 hours at work and the heat was even more unbearable.
Disposable level 1 masks are your best bet if you choose to give it a go. They are light weight and you can pull out a fresh one when yours gets sweaty/dirty/wet.
I’m a nurse too. I have been buying the disposable ones since my friend and i are going in July..she’s a teacher so summer was what she could do. I have been before in July..it was very hot but my sister and I took breaks at the pool, stayed hydrated and went to the parks mainly at night. We managed to make it work.

My daughter and I went on our usual August trip last year. The masks made an already hot/humid time more hot and humid but we still had a great time. We did find ourselves taking more breaks than usual, switching out masks twice a day- and the best addition was we purchased Powerade. One day I really was not feeling well at all- totally drained, and like I was goi g to need to go back to room for AC or no-mask pool time. I had never had Powerade before and we were walking past a cart and I purchased one. My daughter and I split it- and holy smokes- what a difference. I was feeling so much better and ready to carry on our day with just a half bottle. For the rest of the trip- we split a bottle mid morning- like ten-ish and again around 2-4 pm. I never drank the stuff before in my life and though that kind d of stuff was all hype- but I am a believer now.
Oh Powerade is my granddaughters favorite drink. I’m not thrilled about it, but if it really helps I sure will.

We've been in July twice pre Covid and also went this past September. I honestly don't know that it felt any different? Still hot and muggy. I thought taking breaks to wipe our faces down with tissues or towels I stowed in the bag made way more difference than what kind of mask we wore too.

I am really hoping that by this summer the mask mandate will relax a bit. I don't expect it to go away completely by then, but it would be nice to take it off while outside.

About wiping your face down - Norwex makes a face cloth that did a great job. No residue from something like a makeup cloth and as a bonus you can go rinse it out with cold water for a bit of a cool break.

The vaccine doesn’t prevent you from spreading it to other people if you still manage to catch it. It does give you a milder form of the illness.

This would be true if we were talking flu vaccines that are usually only 50% effective. That's because it mutates too fast and too virulently. C19 is more like most viruses.. If you ever get C19 or get the vaccine, you're body senses the virus and fights it before it becomes an infection in your body, thus keeping you from being infectious to others. It's not 100%, but that's what the two main C19 vaccines do. if you take the new vaccine that's only at 50% effectiveness, then yes, what you said could be true. But at this time, there is no conclusive scientific findings that C19 spreads from those who are vaccinated or who have already had it. And that's a good thing!

Do we really think we'll still be in masks in July?

If these state and local government entities can stop dragging their feet and get the vaccines into our hands, masks should not be an issue by the end of June.

The vaccine doesn’t prevent you from spreading it to other people if you still manage to catch it. It does give you a milder form of the illness.
That’s not been determined through research yet according to Johns Hopkins so we have to be careful with blanket statements on an internet message board

I didn't read all the replies, so I apologize if I'm repeating. We were there in late October, but it was unseasonably hot - 90+ degrees, high humidity. The masks were stifling during the times we had to walk briskly to get to a ride (i.e. from DHS entrance back to Slinky at park opening). By the end of the trip, my face was also horribly broken out from the combination of a (presumably) dirty mask, sweat, humidity, rubbing, etc. If we visit again while masks are required, I'd either do paper masks or bring a new cloth mask for each day of the trip - maybe two a day. I did wash my mask in the sink each night but it apparently didn't cut it.

Another thing to consider is that a lot of ride queues are currently extended outside the ride building to promote social distancing and ensure people are waiting the least amount of time indoors together as possible. This means potentially long waits in direct sunlight, something we're not typically used to contending with because we can normally at least wait in queues indoors. I really felt it during our wait for MMRR, which is just wrapped around on the sidewalk in front of the Chinese Theater. There were sporadic fans and umbrellas, but the coverage was not great.

This would be true if we were talking flu vaccines that are usually only 50% effective. That's because it mutates too fast and too virulently. C19 is more like most viruses.. If you ever get C19 or get the vaccine, you're body senses the virus and fights it before it becomes an infection in your body, thus keeping you from being infectious to others. It's not 100%, but that's what the two main C19 vaccines do. if you take the new vaccine that's only at 50% effectiveness, then yes, what you said could be true. But at this time, there is no conclusive scientific findings that C19 spreads from those who are vaccinated or who have already had it. And that's a good thing!

If these state and local government entities can stop dragging their feet and get the vaccines into our hands, masks should not be an issue by the end of June.
The jury is still out on whether the vaccine keeps you from spreading COVID to others so I would err on the side of caution and treat it like it does not. On top of that, we now have two new strains. So, we will be wearing masks for a while, I think.

Do we really think we'll still be in masks in July?

Anyone not planning on masks prior to 2022 is likely setting themselves up for disappointment when it comes to WDW.

Most states are not just sitting on vaccines they simply don't have the required quantity to distribute.

Yes some states are screwing it up though.

They have been saying for a while that some states General population shouldn't expect to even have access to possibly get vaccinated until summer.

Have to remeber WDW is partially responding to lowest common demoninator when it comes to who does or does not have access to vaccination and how things are going from an ongoing outbreak perspective.

I expect Disney to be slow to react and give it 4 to 8 weeks post Universal removal of masking policies.

They will also likely remove most physical distancing prior to mask removal being considered.

We had planned to go back in July/Aug 2021 after our last trip in Aug 2019 (family of 4 with girls ages 10/12). However, with the pandemic ongoing, we are going to wait until things are more back to normal which means likely at least summer 2022 for us unfortunately. I do not want to be wearing a mask outside in Florida when it is in the 90's and high humidity. The pandemic restrictions coupled with all of the cutbacks makes travel to WDW not very desirable for us right now.

Might be a beach trip again this summer...

We went for two weeks in August. We spent a lot of time sitting in AC areas to cool off. For a trip where its the typical go-go-go, we would not have made it in the heat with the masks. But with the right approach of taking many breaks, it was fine.

We don't have small kids (teenagers), and that might change my answer.

I havent't worn one in Florida but we did at our local park (Kings Island in Cincinnati) and it was pretty bad. If the humidity was high I'd sweat through disposable masks in a couple hours. On days when the humidity was lower it wasn't great but bearable. So since Florida has high humidity nearly everyday I'd just say take a lot of masks, you will want to change them often. Also love the Aveno wipes idea HiStitch626!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter