How bad are masks in July?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m local. I pack frozen water bottles in my bag. And I pack a wet wash cloth. My biggest problem with the heat and humidity is getting sweat or sunscreen in my eyes and they burn. I use the wash cloth to wipe that away.

On May 4th it was like 98 degrees and felt like July! It was unbearable in the sun with or without a mask!

May 5th was ungodly hot, too. We left MK around noon because we couldn't bear standing in any of the outdoor lines, had a couple nice drinks at the Wave Lounge instead. Masks weren't even a factor, the sun was just too much.

It isn't just the masks in the heat. Walking around casually in a mask is an entirely different thing from the power-walking that generally happens at parks.

It isn't just the masks in the heat. Walking around casually in a mask is an entirely different thing from the power-walking that generally happens at parks.

My husband works up to 12 hours a day in a mask. And he walks 3 to 6 miles every morning. He doesn’t mind wearing a mask in the heat. My son is an actor (use to wearing uncomfortable costumes) and pretty fit and it doesn’t bother him. I huff and puff because I’m out of shape. My mask goes into my mouth when I’m huffing and puffing. And that bothers me. I stopped power walking. I go at a snail’s pace compared past years at a park.

First time on these boards in a few years. I came looking to see how Disney World is currently handling masks and figured this thread looked like a good place to ask. We are coming to Florida next month. My wife and kids want to take a couple days from the beach and come to the parks. I would love to, but will not if I have to keep a mask on for the majority of the time. They bother me a lot - especially in the heat. We tried Silver Dollar City last summer and gave up after a couple hours because wearing a mask out in the heat made it so miserable.

I am guessing we are out of luck as far as masks goes, but thought I would ask. I am assuming they require it everywhere and enforce it and have not announced any plans to change that requirement yet.

First time on these boards in a few years. I came looking to see how Disney World is currently handling masks and figured this thread looked like a good place to ask. We are coming to Florida next month. My wife and kids want to take a couple days from the beach and come to the parks. I would love to, but will not if I have to keep a mask on for the majority of the time. They bother me a lot - especially in the heat. We tried Silver Dollar City last summer and gave up after a couple hours because wearing a mask out in the heat made it so miserable.

I am guessing we are out of luck as far as masks goes, but thought I would ask. I am assuming they require it everywhere and enforce it and have not announced any plans to change that requirement yet.

Yep they require you to wear a mask except when you are sitting and eating or in a cooling station/relation area. They have not announced any changes other than you can take it off to take a picture as long as you are distanced from others.

Mask the entire time, everywhere. You can briefly remove to eat (stationary, not walking and eating/drinking) Or quick photos. We went there the last week in April, 95+ degree days - we had fun (a much needed vacation) but won’t be back until masks are gone or extremely minimized. It sounds like you should wait also.

Yep they require you to wear a mask except when you are sitting and eating or in a cooling station/relation area. They have not announced any changes other than you can take it off to take a picture as long as you are distanced from others.

Thank you. We will stay on the beach then and find a different year to go to Disney. I can manage a mask on the plane, but that is a struggle. Thankfully you can remove frequently for drinks. Other than that, I want a vacation where the mask can stay off.

I couldn’t do it, thought about it and after long hard thoughts... we would just have to pass.

At the beach you won’t be required to wear a mask. I think Orange County still requires a mask outdoors, but most Florida counties don’t.

Disney has changed social distancing requirements lately. The only mask change has been that you can take photos without a mask if you are stationary and out of the way. Photopass photographers tell you when to take off your mask and when to put it back on.

Back when we booked our June trip I thought no way they would still be having guests wear masks outside especially in the summer heat. Now that we are here and the science says that masks outside do next to nothing, I can't believe they aren't changing the policy. At this stage, there is probably greater risk of heat issues due to masks than of catching Covid.

Guess I need to find the thinnest, coolest disposable masks on the market. Sigh.

Back when we booked our June trip I thought no way they would still be having guests wear masks outside especially in the summer heat. Now that we are here and the science says that masks outside do next to nothing, I can't believe they aren't changing the policy. At this stage, there is probably greater risk of heat issues due to masks than of catching Covid.

Guess I need to find the thinnest, coolest disposable masks on the market. Sigh.
If it helps, people have been saying really good things about chiffon masks on etsy.

A few minutes ago, CDC just announced that they no longer recommend wearing masks indoor OR outdoors for vaccinated folks. Hopefully, this guidance gets pushed down in time for the summer. I'm 100% pro-mask, but would think it's silly at this point to continue this in the blazing summer heat.

Just got back and did the parks last week in the heat and humidity. I did it and survived but kept thinking they can not possibly ask people to do this in the heat of the summer. I really think they have to do something different . It was just my husband and myself, we have been many times and spent the afternoon in the pool. At 5pm on Wednesday May 5th it was 94 felt like 102 yikes.
We will see I guess…

Folks did vacations with masks last summer - we did August 2020 & this past week which has been very hot & humid until today - so I'm not sure that would be a factor in the decision to lift the mask mandates at the theme parks , although I empathize with the sentiment, for sure.

Folks did vacations with masks last summer - we did August 2020 & this past week which has been very hot & humid until today - so I'm not sure that would be a factor in the decision to lift the mask mandates at the theme parks , although I empathize with the sentiment, for sure.

Just because we did it last year. Last year was last year. How about science? When we want people to wear masks we point to science. Now they say we don't need to wear mask, all of a sudden science doesn't matter? This is utter nonsense. Disney playing it "extra safe" when the CDC says we don't need masks? I did the work, I got my family of 4 vaccinated. I took the stick, now I want the carrot.

I think Disney can actually help out vaccination rates here. By showing that the rewards are real, it could encourage people to get vaccinated. I know many people both left and right who are playing the waiting game on vaccinations and hoping transmissions drop where they don't need to get the shot. Disney step up and support science and remove the mask mandate.

I’m kind of frustrated right now. We have a December trip booked, but may have to cancel. Next option is July. They have some great rates for the week after the 4th of July. Then I forgot about masks! I’m not sure we can do masks in the heat.
What was your experience with wearing a mask in the summer heat?
My family was there this past weekend and the highs were in the low to mid 90s. I usually don't like the disposable masks but found they were best for the heat. We also brought cooling towels and neck fans. The fans were great especially while just getting into the inside ques. The masks were NOT fun (and I'm not one to usually complain about masks) I don't really like the hot season to begin with and won't return during the heat again if masks are mandatory.

Just because we did it last year. Last year was last year. How about science? When we want people to wear masks we point to science. Now they say we don't need to wear mask, all of a sudden science doesn't matter? This is utter nonsense. Disney playing it "extra safe" when the CDC says we don't need masks? I did the work, I got my family of 4 vaccinated. I took the stick, now I want the carrot.
Yep, completely get where you're coming from - both hubby & I are fully vaccinated, too 👍. I just don't know how much " masks are SUPER uncomfortable in the Florida heat & humidity" plays into the decision to modify the current mandates 😞.

Yep, completely get where you're coming from - both hubby & I are fully vaccinated, too 👍. I just don't know how much " masks are SUPER uncomfortable in the Florida heat & humidity" plays into the decision to modify the current mandates 😞.

It shouldn't play into it one bit. The President is on right now trumpeting this great news. That should play into it. We won the battle. If you are vaccinated you no longer need to wear masks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter