Housekeeping in 2021

Housekeeping will never return to how it once was. It saves Disney too much money.
Then explain to me why they are offering $1000 bonuses to both part-time and full-time housekeepers? They are fully aware that not all guests are satisfied with limited housekeeping. They need to compete with the hotel industry at large and especially in the deluxe category, when paying $500+ per night, not having daily housekeeping is completely unacceptable.

As with many things, the slow return of daily housekeeping is simply a staffing issue that they are working hard to correct.

Then explain to me why they are offering $1000 bonuses to both part-time and full-time housekeepers? They are fully aware that not all guests are satisfied with limited housekeeping. They need to compete with the hotel industry at large and especially in the deluxe category, when paying $500+ per night, not having daily housekeeping is completely unacceptable.

As with many things, the slow return of daily housekeeping is simply a staffing issue that they are working hard to correct.
It will never go back to what it once was. Kinda like parking, EMH, fast passes, ME, etc.

It will never go back to what it once was. Kinda like parking, EMH, fast passes, ME, etc.

You’re welcome to your opinion. They’ve changed EMH, a variation will be returning as of Oct 1st. We don’t yet know about FastPasses. Charging for parking at the resorts wasn’t a pandemic change, if occurred years before the pandemic. And let’s not kid ourselves, Disney housekeeping has never been spectacular but daily room cleaning is the industry standard. Many of the large chains around the world are returning to daily housekeeping service and Disney will do so when they recover staffing levels. The recent housekeeping job descriptions for part time and full time indicate service levels that were standard pre-pandemic.

You’re welcome to your opinion. They’ve changed EMH, a variation will be returning as of Oct 1st. We don’t yet know about FastPasses. Charging for parking at the resorts wasn’t a pandemic change, if occurred years before the pandemic. And let’s not kid ourselves, Disney housekeeping has never been spectacular but daily room cleaning is the industry standard. Many of the large chains around the world are returning to daily housekeeping service and Disney will do so when they recover staffing levels. The recent housekeeping job descriptions for part time and full time indicate service levels that were standard pre-pandemic.
Correct. They have changed EMH and they will do the same with housekeeping (from what it used to be) and who knows what next? Now I will give them that they do have a labor shortage right now. But even if they didn't have a labor shortage,I think they would still take an opportunity to cut labor, while raising rates. But hopefully I will be wrong. These housekeepers should be paid more than what they are.

Does anyone know if you're allowed to request sheets and then change them yourself? I understand that we can get clean towels (and request more) but I'd also like to change our sheets while we are there.

Our group (3 adults) is very neat and tidy - but I'm going to be honest in saying how disappointed I am that there is not daily room service. I understand that the reasoning might be that they don't have a work force capable of handling this, yet they did not discount the rooms to reflect the lack of service. As much as I love the Poly (where we booked), I'm actually disappointed that we didn't switch to the Four Seasons.

The reason I think Disney Resorts wants people to pay for housekeeping services when they return is so that guests feel more comfortable without free housekeeping so this is a new innovention for the resorts to try out. Because in the days when people stayed at hotels and motels a lot maid service was free with a stay. Also when you look at it a lot of the housekeepers that work in Disney resorts come from countries such as Mexico and Jamaica and Haiti and Disney probably gave them extra money to return to their countries when COVID hit and they will be given more money when they return to work. But paid housekeeping will become a new fad at hotels not just Disney resorts

Remember the days when you were offered a gift card when you OPTED OUT of housekeeping?

Followed by the day of "we will enter your room every day whether you like it or not."

Hopefully things will improve. For me, daily housekeeping is why I choose to stay in a hotel, not an Airbnb. It's annoying that they say that the lack of service is "for our safety and health" when the reality is that it is a staffing issue. Let's call it what it is.

The reason I think Disney Resorts wants people to pay for housekeeping services when they return is so that guests feel more comfortable without free housekeeping so this is a new innovention for the resorts to try out. Because in the days when people stayed at hotels and motels a lot maid service was free with a stay. Also when you look at it a lot of the housekeepers that work in Disney resorts come from countries such as Mexico and Jamaica and Haiti and Disney probably gave them extra money to return to their countries when COVID hit and they will be given more money when they return to work. But paid housekeeping will become a new fad at hotels not just Disney resorts
What exactly are you basing this on? None of the Disney resorts are charging for housekeeping and no major hotel chains are. The only exception has been timeshares/DVC where you could previously pay for full housekeeping daily. There are many timeshare companies that have done away with a daily paid housekeeping option and DVC has recently followed suit. There has been zero indication that they are looking to charge extra for housekeeping at their non-DVC resorts. In fact, pre-pandemic they offered a *discount* to guests that opted out of housekeeping in the form of a gift card per day that housekeeping was skipped. That is the exact opposite of what you are proposing.

FYI, here is what is outlined in the NEW job posting for Part-Time and Full-Time housekeepers. The starting rate is $16/hour and they’re being offered a $1000 signing bonus.

Responsibilities
  • Clean Guest rooms by making bed(s), vacuuming, emptying trash, wiping down keyboards, televisions, alarm clocks, telephones, and dusting all surfaces
  • Clean bathrooms by scrubbing basins, bathtubs, shower walls and doors, toilets, and tile floors with proper chemicals when applicable
  • Transporting cart with cleaning supplies, amenities and linens to assigned Guest rooms. Maintain cleanliness of work areas and carts
  • Replenish all Guest amenities such as soaps and tissues
  • Clean windows, mirrors, glass table tops
  • Obtain necessary cleaning supplies from supply room
  • Report unusual room conditions or rooms in need of repair
  • Operate a SmartPhone device to access Guest room assignments and submit work orders
  • Work in outdoor settings during various weather conditions
  • Additional Personal Protective Equipment (face shields, goggles, refillable hand sanitizers, etc.) may be required
  • Cast Members will be required to handle cleaning chemicals and supplies
  • Complete tasks with proper use of equipment, tools or systems related to performance of assigned responsibilities
Basic Qualifications
  • Must be at least 18 years of age to be considered for this role
  • Physical role requiring heavy lifting, pushing, pulling, bending twisting, and kneeling
  • Written and verbal communications skills
  • Full-Time requires full availability for any shift, any day, including nights, weekends, and holidays
  • Demonstrate good judgment and decision-making skills
  • Perform all job responsibilities safely using personal protective equipment
  • Comply with all department policies/procedures and service guarantees
  • Prolonged standing and walking to various areas of the resort to access and clean Guest rooms, including climbing stairs
Preferred Qualifications
  • Bilingual preferred
  • One (1) year of previous Housekeeping experience
  • Previous housekeeping responsibilities for 14-18 rooms a day
  • Knowledgeable of basic cleaning chemicals and equipment
All those responsibilities align with Disney’s previous standard of Housekeeping. And they still emphasize the importance of a high level of cleanliness. As I’ve said about ten times on this thread now: this is a staffing issue.

This is not acceptable. I just informed my DH of the housekeeping or lack of so to speak. Also how we are responsible to make our own beds, etc. Sorry but we will not let trash pile up in our room as we are paying extra to stay at CSR instead of a budget. My husband works at a hotel here in NY which is not a deluxe hotel, and their housekeeping does make beds and clean each room to standards. Shame on them. I just told my DH that looks like we will not be leaving Mousekeeping envelopes daily as we always did. :crazy2::mad::sad2:

Maybe I'm just used to having housekeeping as a service when staying at a resort, but I guess I take all of that for granted. So, I haven't been keeping track of any of this. I'm staying at AoA. Is it that all of the resorts do not offer any form of housekeeping services at all for the time being?

How are the liquid soap dispensers and trash taken out?

How are towels replaced?

I haven't been keeping track of this. I'm staying at AoA. Is it that all of the resorts do not offer any form of housekeeping services at all for the time being?
That’s correct. Your room will be clean upon your arrival. There will be literature about the enhanced cleaning protocol to get the room ready for your arrival. Housekeeping will stop by every other day to collect trash and bring you towels, additional toiletries.

Disney has been trying to hire Housekeepers since May. Just a few weeks ago they posted jobs that included $1000 bonuses for Full and Part time Housekeepers. The lack of full housekeeping service is strictly a staffing issue that they are working to resolve.

That’s correct. Your room will be clean upon your arrival. There will be literature about the enhanced cleaning protocol to get the room ready for your arrival. Housekeeping will stop by every other day to collect trash and bring you towels, additional toiletries.

Disney has been trying to hire Housekeepers since May. Just a few weeks ago they posted jobs that included $1000 bonuses for Full and Part time Housekeepers. The lack of full housekeeping service is strictly a staffing issue that they are working to resolve.
Okay, as long as someone comes to collect the trash and replace the towels and toiletries...I'm fine with that. I know that making the beds is a luxury now, but it is what it is. I can't do anything about it, so I'll just move on.

Okay, as long as someone comes to collect the trash and replace the towels and toiletries...I'm fine with that. I know that making the beds is a luxury now, but it is what it is. I can't do anything about it, so I'll just move on.

Deluxe seems to be more consistent. Pack trash bags and leave them outside. Clean towels could be requested but they did not remove any left in the shower on our CSR stay. Coffee was not left. We had to call for that too.

We stayed at Pop last week and they came every other day. We left a note asking for extra washcloths but didn’t get them. They did empty trash, gave us coffee and supplies, and a bar of soap. We are at Coronado now. Housekeeping called on our first day to see if they could come in to do “light” housekeeping since our occupied sign was out. I let them know we wouldn’t need it until the next day. She said she would note that we should be on the “other” every other day schedule since we had just checked in the day before. This is our third day here and they have not come yet. I hope I didn’t mess us up. Hopefully tomorrow. We are here for 10 nights total. Just wondering if they will change our sheets any during that time. If they don’t, I’m going to ask for some sheets to change the bed myself. I make it up each day. Any more than a week should get new sheets.
I know it’s not Disney, but I stayed at Universal Hard Rock 12 days. Any time I needed anything I just phoned and things were brought up immediately. On day 6 housekeeping came and did a room clean, and fresh beds. We were also supplied with plastic bag to put dirty towels in. Whenever we needed fresh towels we left old ones in bag in front of door and was asked to phone to let them know. They were very fast to come collect bag and drop new towels in room.

We just returned from a stay at the Grand mid-June and got towel and trash every day. We were told it would be every other day at checkin but they came in and took the trash, left fresh towels and wiped down surfaces daily. They didn’t make the bed which for us wasn’t a big deal at all. Overall it felt slightly different because I do enjoy the freshly made bed and clean sheets halfway through a longer stay but I was still pleased with what we did get.

I know it’s not Disney, but I stayed at Universal Hard Rock 12 days. Any time I needed anything I just phoned and things were brought up immediately. On day 6 housekeeping came and did a room clean, and fresh beds. We were also supplied with plastic bag to put dirty towels in. Whenever we needed fresh towels we left old ones in bag in front of door and was asked to phone to let them know. They were very fast to come collect bag and drop new towels in room.
I have always found Housekeeping at the Universal Orlando resorts to be top notch. Their responsiveness is excellent, and I really appreciate that. The cleanliness is on point too.

I have gravitated away from staying at Disney resorts due to all the housekeeping problems, especially at Pop Century. The floors are FILTHY, and that was before Covid. I can't imagine what shape the rooms are in now. Your feet turn black from walking on the unwashed flooring, so you must wear shoes every time you walk on the floor. That is like staying in a 3rd world country... and I'm asked to pay premium prices for that kind of garbage? NOPE! (And yes, I started out by leaving my shoes inside by the front door when I came back to the room)

I tried to get the dirty floors addressed with the housekeeper by requesting a wet mopping, but she indicated that all she had was a dry Swiffer. I then talked to a manager and their solution was to move me into another room. I turned that down because I had 2 friends staying in other rooms at Pop during that time and they were reporting that the floors were filthy in their rooms as well. Then I thought to use some pool towels to wet and clean the floor parts that I walked on myself. That was ineffective because the floors were just too dirty. It was disgusting!

Let's be honest... we never had this problem when there was carpet in the room. My socks stayed white because they were not cutting corners when they cleaned the room.

If Disney would just pay the Housekeepers a decent living wage, they would not have the staffing problems that they have now. It has not occurred to people that they are paying the price for Disney's reluctance to adequately pay what the market will bear to their housekeeping staff. Perhaps Disney should spend less time pandering to the stock profits and invest more in the employee and guest experience.

The other huge thing that keeps me away from Disney resorts is the random intrusion of any employee into my room at any time for a security theater check. In my opinion it is only a matter of time until an assault occurs. During a stay at Pop in December a few years ago the CM that was doing a room check was wearing a jacket that was not part of his costume and it was covering his name tag. From appearances it could have been any stranger knocking on the door demanding entry to the room. As a solo female traveler at times this is a HUGE NOPE.

I really don't know what Disney is thinking with these awful guest experience conditions, but I've found a place to stay off site that I am really happy with. The price is way lower than what Disney charges and I get a suite with a kitchen and full-size fridge... No more 60 degree, tiny "beverage cooler". There are no resort or parking fees, and full amenities are available, so there is no compromising. My place even throws in a free continental breakfast. People should really shop around and investigate finding a place off site. Utilizing LYFT means that you don't even have to rent a car, and that is way more convenient than using Disney transportation. Good riddance to waiting for over an hour to get back to your resort mid-day.

Staying off site means lower pricing and better quality. When you stay off site you are staying at a place where their hotel is their only concern. If they don't get it right, they don't have any excuses to fall back on, like justifying crappy rooms and lame customer service because you get to go to their theme park. Every guest is valued, they are not offered less because they are considered a "Value" or a "Moderate" guest. That is another bull excuse that Disney uses.

The new 'Disney Direction' seems to be stratifying guests and treating them as less because of where they are staying. This is inexcusable, especially considering how obscene the prices are. Raise those prices and remove the offerings. Trash and dirty towels all over the hallways? Do it yourself housekeeping? That is not happening at offsite hotels. You pay less and you get more. People need to wake up.

~NM

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter