House Keeping gratuity how to pay question

Housekeeping is a labor-intensive job. They do not *expect* tips, but I think they certainly do appreciate them. We don't have tons of disposable income, but I always leave a little bit-- $4 or $5 a day--as a thank you for cleaning up my kids' and my mess. Occasionally there's a day I have no small bills on me or we rush out to the park and I forget to leave a tip, but I make sure to remember the next day. Sometimes I feel like the guy who rushes out to my uber car to open the door for me expects a tip, and I feel odd about that--I can open my own door--but housekeeping is genuinely tiring and sometimes gross work.
There are many jobs at WDW that are labor intensive and make less than housekeepers. Do you tip them as well?

Just to clarify in case there's confusion among readers since there are some classified as not able to accept tips at Disney, this is not one of those non-tipped positions such as a GS CM
It's a position that doesn't make a wage supplemented by tips such as a waitstaff CM.
They can accept tips.

Tipped positions are paid under minimum wage because of the anticipation of getting tips. Disney pays housekeepers a full wage and classify as non-tipped. They get regular raises. By 2021, they will be paid $15 a hour. If you are a DVC Member, the big dues increase this year was due to the raises.

Tipped positions are paid under minimum wage because of the anticipation of getting tips. Disney pays housekeepers a full wage and classify as non-tipped. They get regular raises. By 2021, they will be paid $15 a hour. If you are a DVC Member, the big dues increase this year was due to the raises.
Yeah, that's what I said.

According to Disney's press releases, they mad it sound like all cast members are getting paid a minimum of $15 before tips as of Jan 1, 2019 due to union negotiations, are you saying they misrepresented the facts in their press releases?

According to Disney's press releases, they mad it sound like all cast members are getting paid a minimum of $15 before tips as of Jan 1, 2019 due to union negotiations, are you saying they misrepresented the facts in their press releases?
That was Disneyland, which was agreed to earlier and a separate union from Disney World. Also 15.45 is the final wage for Disneyland around June 2020

That was Disneyland, which was agreed to earlier and a separate union from Disney World. Also 15.45 is the final wage for Disneyland around June 2020
No, they did Disney World press releases as well that I was stated the same thing, but I was being a bit sarcastic as even at Disneyland they completely misrepresented the facts, the food union never got any of their cast members a pay increase, no mater if they are tipped or not (although they are finally negotiating).

No, they did Disney World press releases as well that I was stated the same thing, but I was being a bit sarcastic as even at Disneyland they completely misrepresented the facts, the food union never got any of their cast members a pay increase, no mater if they are tipped or not (although they are finally negotiating).
Disneyland Press Release:
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...t-minimum-wages-in-the-country-300687644.html

Disney World Press Release:
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...ges-in-the-us-service-industry-300708628.html

Both seem very clear who they cover (what union at DLR or collective unions at WDW) and when the wages increase by. So I just legitimately thought you mistook the two parks.

Disneyland Press Release:
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...t-minimum-wages-in-the-country-300687644.html

Disney World Press Release:
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...ges-in-the-us-service-industry-300708628.html

Both seem very clear who they cover (what union at DLR or collective unions at WDW) and when the wages increase by. So I just legitimately thought you mistook the two parks.
They claim the food workers at Disneyland are covered, but they are not, so this one is an outright lie as they are literally in negotiations right now.

I just write “Thank You Housekeeping!” or somesuch on the memo pad and leave the money on the memo pad next to the note.

A lot of times housekeeping will write a little note or draw a Mickey head on the pad, which is always fun. I enjoy having that little connection with the people who are cleaning my room each day, and showing my appreciation for their hard work. I’ve actually kept some of the notes they’ve written as little momentos :)

I just write “Thank You Housekeeping!” or somesuch on the memo pad and leave the money on the memo pad next to the note.

This is what I do too, but I have read a couple of reports of guests saying that there are no longer note pads and pens in the rooms. Has that been anyone's experience? If so, I'll have to plan for envelopes or something.

I just write “Thank You Housekeeping!” or somesuch
Spanish: Gracias a la limpieza!
Filipino: Salamat sa paglilinis!
Portuguese: Obrigado pela limpeza!

I can get more, if anybody wants (or can provide me with other Housekeeping nationalities).

Last edited:
I use the notepad in the room, write Thank You on it, and leave it with our tip on one of the pillows. Hard to miss.

We always just leave the tip on the bed, it has always been taken. I wouldn't expect them to take any money left on the nightstand or dresser unless it was accompanied by a note that it was clearly for them. Just returned from a YC/GF split. Had a note pad and pen at the GF but none at the YC.

I’m surprised at all these people leaving the tip on the bed or in envelopes. We’ve always just left bills on the bathroom sink (or, in the ancient days, under the ashtray). I’d worry that someone stripping the bed would miss the tip, especially if it’s in a white envelope matching the white pillow cases and sheets.

This is what I do too, but I have read a couple of reports of guests saying that there are no longer note pads and pens in the rooms. Has that been anyone's experience? If so, I'll have to plan for envelopes or something.
Just got back from CSR and there was a notepad and pen. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter