Hogwarts Express Question

NJlauren

DIS Veteran
ETA: Looks like Hogwarts express if back open today 1/24 with a 900 minute wait, but open!

We go in two weeks and i have noticed that the last 2 days Hogwarts Express hasn’t been open all day (at least when I checked 10am this morning, mid day yesterday)

I don’t see anything about a refurbishment, does it not normally run all day? Am I missing something?

thanks!

Last edited:

Here now. Tonight they told us it will STILL be closed tomorrow, so I can’t imagine it’s anything weather related at this point. We are so upset. This is our first time here (and it’s not like we’ll be back anytime soon!), huge HP fans - & now at least 2 of 3 days there is no Hogwarts Express... which is like the entire reason we bought park to park tickets.

Here now. Tonight they told us it will STILL be closed tomorrow, so I can’t imagine it’s anything weather related at this point. We are so upset. This is our first time here (and it’s not like we’ll be back anytime soon!), huge HP fans - & now at least 2 of 3 days there is no Hogwarts Express... which is like the entire reason we bought park to park tickets.

I am so sorry! I hope it back up on your last day (or I hope you got a ride in on your first day)

Looks like it’s still closed today.
The least they could do is share why. So many buy the Park to Park just to ride.
They should definitely be willing to tell you why and if there’s an estimate on when it will be back up again. The first few trips we only got park to park specifically to ride it so I would have talked to Guest Services if we couldn’t ride it at all.

I'm sorry - I was just there Friday - Monday. No way this was a weather closure. Sunday was a gorgeous day with a few periods of wind. Monday was cool but likewise a fairly nice day. I've been there in past trips riding Hogwarts Express during torrential storms. Rollercoasters have wind issues as the wind is often more at some of the altitudes they reach which can affect some of the hills. If every roller coaster in the park is operational, the train is not stopped due to weather . . . This was a HORRIBLE operations weekend. Hargrids was down about half of our entire time there. Velocicoaster spend a couple days up and down all day. At one point there were extended downtimes for Hagrids, Velocicoaster and Gringotts all at once. Combine that with Mummy and Jurassic Park down for scheduled maintenance and it was very messy. The one thing I will say is when it's running - the team at Velocicoaster is really great at moving that line. Other ride operations need to study this. Spent 25 minutes at the metal detectors at Rip Ride Rocket while trains were being sent half empty because the detector was going off for nearly everyone. Belts, lanyards, zippers . . it was ridiculous. And they had horrible flows - lines just stopped for everyone else while they dealt with issues. Not sure how they can be so inefficient at the others rides while they do it so well at Velocicoaster.

Last edited:
I'm sorry - I was just there Friday - Monday. No way this was a weather closure. Sunday was a gorgeous day with a few periods of wind. Monday was cool but likewise a fairly nice day. I've been there in past trips riding Hogwarts Express during torrential storms. Rollercoasters have wind issues as the wind is often more at some of the altitudes they reach which can affect some of the hills. If every roller coaster in the park is operational, the train is not stopped due to weather . . . This was a HORRIBLE operations weekend. Hargrids was down about half of our entire time there. Velocicoaster spend a couple days up and down all day. At one point there were extended downtimes for Hagrids, Velocicoaster and Gringotts all at once. Combine that with Mummy and Jurassic Park down for scheduled maintenance and it was very messy. The one thing I will say is when it's running - the team at Velocicoaster is really great at moving that line. Other ride operations need to study this. Spent 25 minutes at the metal detectors at Rip Ride Rocket while trains were being sent half empty because the detector was going off for nearly everyone. Belts, lanyards, zippers . . it was ridiculous. And they had horrible flows - lines just stopped for everyone else while they dealt with issues. Not sure how they can be so inefficient at the others rides while they do it so well at Velocicoaster.
Maybe you slept through the tornado warning on Sunday morning 8-8:30. 😊 “Wind gusts in Orlando reached speeds of nearly 50 mph, according to Meteorologist Jonathan Kegges, and News 6 is working to learn if the at least 53 flight cancellations Sunday at Orlando International Airport were due to the presence of unsafe flying conditions.” https://www.clickorlando.com/news/l...orida-as-thousands-lose-power/?outputType=amp
A lot of weather fronts are fast moving though so I’m glad it didn’t impact your visit.

Hi again, here with another update. Tonight we were told Hogwarts Express is down FOR THE REST OF THE WEEK!!!! And they still couldn’t share why! We have one more park day (our 3rd), which was planned for tomorrow, but we could & would have saved it until Saturday if necessary since our flight home isn’t until 9:30 PM. (Thursday & Friday we’re at Disney.) With this much flexibility, I thought for SURE we would eventually get to ride it, but no...we were assured it will remain closed through Saturday at least. Un.Bel.ievable :sad:

You better believe my butt will be at guest services tomorrow.

Hi again, here with another update. Tonight we were told Hogwarts Express is down FOR THE REST OF THE WEEK!!!! And they still couldn’t share why! We have one more park day (our 3rd), which was planned for tomorrow, but we could & would have saved it until Saturday if necessary since our flight home isn’t until 9:30 PM. (Thursday & Friday we’re at Disney.) With this much flexibility, I thought for SURE we would eventually get to ride it, but no...we were assured it will remain closed through Saturday at least. Un.Bel.ievable :sad:

ugh I am so sorry! I hope the rest of your time was enjoyable, and have a great few days at Disney!!

We get in next week, I’ll be pretty upset if it’s not up and running….

Supposedly they were offering a walking tour of Kings Cross today and while it’s down. Apparently you get to see behind the scenes things and hear stories about the train. You may want to try to find out about it for your last day.

Wow, really glad I checked this thread before buying our tix for this weekend. At this point, there is zero reason to buy 2 park tickets unless the ride somehow opens before Saturday. Honestly, they shouldn't even sell 2 park tix on days it's down. Very disappointing was to be our first trip ever to Universal.

Wow, really glad I checked this thread before buying our tix for this weekend. At this point, there is zero reason to buy 2 park tickets unless the ride somehow opens before Saturday. Honestly, they shouldn't even sell 2 park tix on days it's down. Very disappointing was to be our first trip ever to Universal.
We always enjoy going to both parks on the same day, so while it's disappointing that the HE is down to go back & forth between the parks, we definitely would always still hit both parks every day reagardless of how we get back & forth between them.

We always enjoy going to both parks on the same day, so while it's disappointing that the HE is down to go back & forth between the parks, we definitely would always still hit both parks every day reagardless of how we get back & forth between them.
I agree. We went to both parks in the same day long before Hogwart’s Express ever existed. We honestly don’t always ride it every day that we are there. The walk between parks isn’t bad.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter