• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

History question: Why are 1-bedrooms "priced" so high?

It's just my DH and I in a DVC room. My DH prefers 1BR (as do I), but sometimes we stay in a studio to save points. The 1BR is worth twice as much to us. The extra room, 2nd TV, king bed, large tub, walk-in shower, full refrigerator with freezer, washer and drier, fully outfitted kitchen etc. are worth a lot to us.
I agree! And while I realize there are point reallocations to come, I don’t see the 1 BR’s being reduced to the point that folks start to choose them over studios. We are currently on a 5 night stay at BLT in a 1 BR lake view. It’s a 185 point stay. My neighbors in the studio would spend 95 points. We’ve stayed in a BLT studio, just the two of us and we liked it for what it was for a short stay. But that room is in no way comparable to what we are enjoying this week. Maybe the 1BR “shouldn’t” be almost twice as much. But we bought points enough to stay this way and we’re happy to use the 185. From my contrarian perspective I would never blow 95 points staying 5 nights in a studio. I wouldn’t stay in an AKV or BWV std for 65 or 70. I just wouldn’t use my points that way as it’s not how we wish to stay. 2 nights max in a studio and never more than 2 people.

I agree! And while I realize there are point reallocations to come, I don’t see the 1 BR’s being reduced to the point that folks start to choose them over studios. We are currently on a 5 night stay at BLT in a 1 BR lake view. It’s a 185 point stay. My neighbors in the studio would spend 95 points. We’ve stayed in a BLT studio, just the two of us and we liked it for what it was for a short stay. But that room is in no way comparable to what we are enjoying this week. Maybe the 1BR “shouldn’t” be almost twice as much. But we bought points enough to stay this way and we’re happy to use the 185. From my contrarian perspective I would never blow 95 points staying 5 nights in a studio. I wouldn’t stay in an AKV or BWV std for 65 or 70. I just wouldn’t use my points that way as it’s not how we wish to stay. 2 nights max in a studio and never more than 2 people.

Back to the original point of the thread - I was just surprised that 1-British are often more than twice as much as studios. I'm sure there lots of people that would prefer 1-Br over studios, but at the price points don't do it - that describes us to a tee.

Back to the original point of the thread - I was just surprised that 1-British are often more than twice as much as studios. I'm sure there lots of people that would prefer 1-Br over studios, but at the price points don't do it - that describes us to a tee.
The reason it is simply is because they used square footage to determine the breakdown of points. Why they did that when they should have known this would be the issue, no one knows likely even at DVD at this point.

Don't you just love auto-correct? :rotfl2::rotfl2:

In HH, we will always pay the extra for a one bedroom. There’s just something about that resort.

Ok I’ll take the hit as “The creeper”!! :P

If they lower the 1bd and raise the studio enough, people will change their habits. They might not be willing to pay the point spread now, but they will if it gets low enough. The separate bedroom, full kitchen & washer & dryer have a lot of value, just not 2x the points value for most.

Regardless who/what caused it, DVC has a studio problem. If they are to act in the best interests of the membership they need to move members from studios to 1bds.

We are 1 bd bookers, but if you look outside of Sept to Dec the disparity between studio & one bed availability at almost all resorts (minus some categories & major holidays) at 7 months is startling. We wouldn’t like the competition for 1 bds either, but changes should benefit the whole, not the individual.

I stay in 1 beds, and generally when I go (Jan to end of Sept) I can get anywhere.
We stay in 1BDRMs too and prefer them but if Disney decides to up the point structure on these they would make us seriously question whether we want to stay as members.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter