History question: Why are 1-bedrooms "priced" so high?

skier_pete

DIsney-holics Anon
Like many of you I look at point charts often. But one thing that always boggles my mind is Why in the World does DVC charge SO many points for a 1-bedroom? There are many cases where the cost of the 1-bedroom is skewed unusually high compared to the other options.

Examples:
Animal Kingdom Villas Standard View Dream Season (One week - 7 nights)
Studio: 95 points
1-bedroom: 200 points (110% more than studio)
2-bedroom: 255 points (28% more than 1-bedroom, 168% more than studio)

WLV - Boulder Ridge Dream Season (One week - 7 nights)
Studio: 120 points
1-bedroom: 255 points (113% more than studio)
2-bedroom: 318 points (25% more than 1-bedroom, 165% more than studio)

SSR - Standard Room Choice Season (One week - 7 nights)
Studio: 92 points
1-bedroom: 192 points (108% more than studio)
2-bedroom: 241 points (25% more than 1-bedroom, 162% more than studio)

I look at these numbers and see the 1-bedroom as such a poor value. Sure you get a kitchen and bigger bathroom, but you don't get any additional sleeping accommodations, and in particular still only one bed. You get about twice the space, but you pay more than twice the price. Meanwhile, the TWO-bedrooms are barely more points than a 1-bedroom. (In the cases here just 25-28% more.) But you get so much more with a 2-bedroom than a one bedroom.

There are examples that are slightly better priced towards the 1-bedrooms, but other examples that are just as bad if not worse. So it seems like this is how it is, and how it always has been.

But does anyone know why it was set this way? It just seems to me that the one bedrooms should be closer to a midpoint between the studios and the 1-bedrooms, you know, where is a studio is 100 points for a week, and the 2-bedroom is 250 points for the week, the 1-bedroom should be like 175 points, not 200 points. But skewed the way it is, I feel like i don't want to ever spend the money for a 1-bedroom, like if I had a enough people that I wanted the extra space I would be way better off with 2 studios.

Has anyone ever heard Disney's reasoning for this? Just curious if its ever been said why the points spread is laid out this way.

My guess would be that they are priced based on square footage. You can do a search and find that the 1 bedrooms are about double the square footage of a studio.

1 Bedrooms have more space although that space is taken by a kitchen. Isn't there a bed in the bedroom and one in the "living" area? Also there is a washer and dryer which isn't available in the studios (or at least we were told they aren't in the studios). So there are perks to the 1 bedroom that aren't just the number of beds.

Why not? Building cost are generally by the sq. ft. a 1 BR is at least 2x the size, and contain much more expensive building cost than a studio. Full kitchen, laundry, king size bed...

Disney doesn't share their reasons for most things. Why different bathtubs, only studios at PVB, cold dipping tub for PVB bungalows but heated spas for CCV cabins?

:earsboy: Bill

I don't know but am glad they are. I'd hate having to be part of the "booking frenzy" for BWV standard studios.

We prefer the 1 bedrooms for the laundry, full kitchen, split bath, two TVs & two separate rooms. The higher price means less competition for what we want at the times we want to go. One of the best things about DVC for me was it meant an end to the "dialing derby" (for discounts).

For the same reasons that a loveseat costs about the same as a sofa. There may be slightly less fabric but not less crafting. The cleaning, space, amenities of a one bedroom is hardly different by adding a bedroom. Also, its exactly what folks really need. Once you have a one bedroom a studio seems oppressive. In order to save points, I'm actually going to try a split stay this month. 4 days without a washer and dryer and 5 days with.
If they weren't getting them booked, they'd change something but it must be working.

As I've said before, the 1 BR are too much at double the studios. I deal with many other timeshares and while they are all different, none are set up with such a discrepancy. IMO a rebalancing raising studios and lowering 1 BR would be the best course looking at this objectively. The 1 BR should be roughly 1.5 times the studio.

Except for Poly because of the bungalows, and potentially now CCV because of the cabins, the total points that can be sold at each WDW DVC resort and applicable to each room were determined mainly by the square footage of the rooms. For example, at BWV each GV was assigned 34,696 saleble points, a 2BR 17340, a 1BR 11,548, and a studio 5792. Thus, a GV was assigned about double the points of a 2BR, about three times the points of a 1BR, and about 6 times the points of a studio. The relationship of the square footage of those rooms is the same, i.e., the approximately 2142 sq. ft. GV is about double the size the 1071 sq ft 2BR, tripple the size of the 712 sq ft 1BR, and 6 times the size of the studio.

Though the point charts for BWV (and others) made adjustments for other reasons -- e.g., making 2BRs lower cost than reserving a studio and 1BR separately, and having lower points for standard than preferred -- the base from which those adjustment were made was the total saleable points applicable to a room based on square footage, with the result that a 1BR ended up being fairly close to costing double what a studio cost per night. Poly does not follow that pattern because the fairly small-in-size 2BR bungalows are ceded a lot more saleable points than they would have received if square footage in relation to the studios had been determinative of saleable points. In essence, Poly, and likely the CCV cabins, loaded saleble points into the bungalows based mainly on their unique location and view.

As I've said before, the 1 BR are too much at double the studios. I deal with many other timeshares and while they are all different, none are set up with such a discrepancy. IMO a rebalancing raising studios and lowering 1 BR would be the best course looking at this objectively. The 1 BR should be roughly 1.5 times the studio.

How long has the studio "booking frenzy" been going on? Probably not long enough for DVD to reallocate. I purchased with the intent to book 1 bedrooms (for a family of 5), so a reallocation to lower point requirement would be good unless it starts a "booking frenzy" for 1 bedroom!

LAX

I stay in 1 beds, and generally when I go (Jan to end of Sept) I can get anywhere.

It is strictly square footage, the points are assigned based on the the square footage.

My question is, why shouldn't they cost twice the price of a studio since they are twice as big?

Last edited:
How long has the studio "booking frenzy" been going on? Probably not long enough for DVD to reallocate. I purchased with the intent to book 1 bedrooms (for a family of 5), so a reallocation to lower point requirement would be good unless it starts a "booking frenzy" for 1 bedroom!

LAX
I'm doubting they do so but I feel it would be the best option. Even if they did, I wouldn't expect enough of a move to make 1 BR more difficult than studios, they're goal (and mine) would be to even out the demand which by the way they are contractually required to do is the demand is too far off. There would still be a large gap, just not as large and it wouldn't affect the 2 BR much or at all. A 10% decrease in 1 BR would raise the studios roughly 20%.

I'm not sure anyone knows the why of it, but it does seem to me to be a mistake just judging by relative demand. But, that demand pattern is certainly not news, and while they reallocated the weekend vs. weeknight points, they have not done this one (nor have they reallocated for the Fall Frenzy seasonal difference.)

But, it is odd that the studio vs. 1BR difference seems to be driven by sq. ft. considerations, yet the 2BR is discounted on a sq. ft. basis---even if you book a lockoff as a 2BR.

When we first bought in at OKW 1-bdrms were 2.5 times higher points requirements than studios. DVC has keep up with this points difference as new resorts were added. Then DVC has adjusted as needed to even out the bookings, to ensure all rooms are booked every night.

After you go a few times with 2 adults and 2 children in a studio, which we did a lot early on, you will not see the 1-bdr as a lot of points. Having the full kitchen, large living area, large MBR, better balcony, and 2 bathrooms in the newer ones is worth it to us. You can save a bundle just on having a few meals in the kitchen.

My wife and I go kid-free many times now, and we still get a 1-bdr.

mac_tlc

I can't understand it either, more yes (as many here have said-square footage). Yet so many times, now, the studios actually have a greater capacity than the one bedrooms. So you can sleep 4 people for more points, or 5 people for fewer. It would seem that capacity should have a little to do with point values. Can you tell we're dedicated one-bedroom stayers? Bring down my points!

Perhaps DVD has been trying to entice those more conscious of value since not everyone is willing to shell out for 1 bedrooms? For those who might otherwise not consider or "afford" DVC, being able to squeeze 5 into a studio is an attractive option.

LAX

The 5 in a studio is actually a very smart financial move for Disney Vacation Club. It is very difficult to do meals in the studio. Breakfast would be only easy meal to prepare in the studio.

Meals to feed the 5 for lunch or dinner would then be on the Disney Grounds. Yes, sandwiches can be packed, and some meals can be microwaved.

The one bedroom has the kitchen and washer/dryer. If I am bringing a larger family (which I have 4 boys, based off my name), I cook to save money. Theme park tickets are already expensive enough.

Even though I would love to stay in 1 bedroom, we are the two - studios stayers to fit my family of 6. My boys are older now. It is more feasible points wise for us. For the price of 2 studios, it is the almost the same price as a 1 bedroom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter