Hindsight is 2020 - A VERY late trip report (NYE and Feb/March cruise) - Updated 8/27-Off the cruise and a VIP Tour!

And because I had waited so long the manager came over and comped my entire meal! (I left the server a tip though since it wasn’t his fault.)

8CMFdwB.jpg
That was really nice. And the way they keep customers.

Glad you were able to get a BG for Rise that morning!

Sounds like a good day at Epcot! Spending New Year's Eve there seems fun!

It's just so weird to think how we all innocently anticipated a new year without any idea how crazy it was about to get!

Another day, another success at getting a BG! You were a pro! That sunrise pic over the skyliner is gorgeous!

The characters at Topolinos are soooo cute!

Wow, really nice to have your dinner comped because of the delay!

Maybe? I don’t remember, it was so long ago and I don’t have any pics on my phone after brunch.
Haha, I do remember seeing a photopass of you on everest solo (though that could have also been in February... but I'm pretty sure it was this day, lol)!
That was really nice. And the way they keep customers.
Definitely! I think it also helped I wasn't making a big stink about it.
Glad you were able to get a BG for Rise that morning!

Sounds like a good day at Epcot! Spending New Year's Eve there seems fun!

It's just so weird to think how we all innocently anticipated a new year without any idea how crazy it was about to get!

Another day, another success at getting a BG! You were a pro! That sunrise pic over the skyliner is gorgeous!

The characters at Topolinos are soooo cute!

Wow, really nice to have your dinner comped because of the delay!
Oh @dina444444 is the BG wizard! I've ridden Rise 4x with a BG (3x on this trip and once at DL a week after it opened). All times she was the one to grab the BG! Hopefully I'll have some luck on my own in May!

New Years Eve is the best at Epcot! I do recommend it to anyone (maybe not someone on a first trip, but if you plan for the crowds, it is totally worth it).

Topolinos is now one of my favorites! I am grabbing dinner there in May.

Day 6 – January 2, 2020

On this trip the first Baby Yoda spirit jerseys came out, so of course I had to get one! (I actually rarely wear spirit jerseys as I just don’t like long sleeves.. the CA girl in me!) Though it was a pretty warm day, so I switched into something cooler for actual park exploring.

iJNyxKD.jpg

I purposefully booked things for the afternoon so I could get some sleep.

I decided to check out the decorations at the Grand Floridian, as they were still up, so I ubered over there.

igTbHg8.jpg
rsHzs3M.jpg
PhcToBq.jpg
KdV71tr.jpg
dGsWfaz.jpg
s8JU90Y.jpg
V3DOPow.jpg

And some photopass pics!

46OGfnm.jpg
hwzTKJ0.jpg

For lunch I decided to check out Gasparilla Grill, getting the mac and cheese, which came recommended. I wasn’t that big of a fan unfortunately; I prefer the ones at Liberty Tree Tavern and HDDR. At least a nice view during lunch.

ASBy4Zu.jpg
L3bvTmf.jpg
NXQxdpQ.jpg

And a peek on the construction of the MK bridge

wB2txVj.jpg

Over to Magic Kingdom (via monorail).

5EJYrTF.jpg
LVn7WI3.jpg
uoKIebp.jpg

Gotta stop for those photopass pictures!

ReXw1KK.jpg
WAVYjee.jpg

And a bit crowded today… I did discover that the crowds were less manageable after NYE than they were in the days leading up to it. I think because there was so much other stuff to do before. I think in the future if/when I go for NYE I would leave Jan 1 or 2nd.

BOPDt6e.jpg
GMKVMCz.jpg

More photopass!

cQF3q5J.jpg
AODXPXc.jpg
OEohtyu.jpg
axSSyww.jpg

First fastpass, 7DMT. With a 140 minute standby wait and an extended FP queue.

uMc20Jl.jpg
MCcG2lS.jpg
w0x2gnW.jpg
zFXsBua.jpg

Down to Jingle Cruise (105 min standby). This was the fastpass I had switched around after we had a great cruise a couple of days earlier. This time it was just fine…

6P4MWKq.jpg
98ukDa7.jpg
WASBmbk.jpg
pJAPnv6.jpg
GmtuB69.jpg
r46v1kT.jpg
ckBvOhL.jpg
SKQhJX2.jpg
Wt3X5GY.jpg

It was a hot day, so gotta get that Mickey Bar!

IxHixlE.jpg

And final Fastpass at Splash Mountain. Standby wait time 180 min, but they had actually shut off the standby line since the FP one got sooo long! Like it wrapped around every taped marker on the ground, went back and forth a couple times over the bridge towards Pecos Bill! I think it ended up being over a 45 minute fastpass line!

3D3q3kR.jpg
A81b3yZ.jpg
IPgfmEe.jpg
dE4YSKn.jpg
VurW9vp.jpg
ryNvzYj.jpg
TmotBgY.jpg
Ug2LfPx.jpg
ssWukfq.jpg
ROhpj4S.jpg
9SPUZMQ.jpg

The crowds were just insane, with extended lines just to go back and forth to Tom Sawyer Island!

ayY1e4E.jpg

So I was outta there! There was no FP availability and every line was just ridiculous, no thanks!

I did check out the Christmas Carol windows on Main Street, which were super cute!

iCG7UL5.jpg
yRxPzsv.jpg
vGFMTPx.jpg
qRsNmYw.jpg
dfJjMxb.jpg
R5OO5t8.jpg
68YnZYl.jpg

Rather than head back to Boardwalk I decided to go over to the Wilderness Lodge (via boat).

CcouBKn.jpg
reml0qp.jpg
YLsMysB.jpg
YttLKWj.jpg

Decorations were still up, including the ‘new’ Gingerbread house.

MR2lJRV.jpg
J1BQJ8u.jpg
Yj1JB8u.jpg
WEJ2R6u.jpg
FyTEESA.jpg
LB6YGqj.jpg

And photopass there!

TogO4Uc.jpg
5jgfa04.jpg

After chilling at the hotel for a bit, I headed out for dinner. I could see the top of Happily Ever After bursts too.

7KgJ4wM.jpg

Dinner tonight at Kimonos (also at the Swan).

w58P1eZ.jpg
vEwtxCv.jpg
sw0hG3Q.jpg
mPtRGg1.jpg

I think the kitchens at the Swan had some serious issues this week, as again there was a big delay getting my food. I ended up with the Shrimp Tempura Roll, Salmon Nigiri, and Gyoza. They also comped my meal due to that without me even complaining!

lkXgjAm.jpg
RNZJR6o.jpg

I actually was happy I got out when I did because it was karaoke night and the speaker was set up right behind me, so it would have gotten loud fast! I wasn’t the biggest fan of this place, it was just fine, but I prob won’t bother coming back.

Anyways, back to the hotel. I don’t know if I made my way to the hot tub tonight (I did go one night), but otherwise a chill day.

Coming up: More Animal Kingdom time

Wow those were some crazy crowds and wait times! Good thing for FP!

Love the Baby Yoda spirit jersey and your pics from WL!

I'm a people person but pictures like those crowds (and looking at my own pics of music festivals from 2019) always make me wonder...why did we ever get so close to people?! :scared1: Still seems like you managed to make the most of it!

Wow those were some crazy crowds and wait times! Good thing for FP!

Love the Baby Yoda spirit jersey and your pics from WL!
Yeah - it's weird how the crowds felt sooo much worse after NYE than before! I did not expect that!

Just the start of my Baby Yoda obsession...as you know very well, lol!
I'm a people person but pictures like those crowds (and looking at my own pics of music festivals from 2019) always make me wonder...why did we ever get so close to people?! :scared1: Still seems like you managed to make the most of it!
I know! I even was looking at my March photos from right before the lockdown and just couldn't believe everything we did on a normal basis.

Day 7, January 3, 2020

Another day, another busy park! This time Animal Kingdom

r0EuXCR.jpg
mgTgiWA.jpg
OGl2zGs.jpg
QkQPuTT.jpg
2dF2l2Z.jpg

Really loved the Magical Menagerie decorations! Day and night. I hope they do it again this year!

heDzkzu.jpg
USds1o3.jpg
a7u6lVG.jpg
22qVvvx.jpg
QZ7vSpt.jpg
Fl4QNxj.jpg

Snacktime at Pizzafari for the pizza knots.

2VJqWD4.jpg
iYgnNYG.jpg

Into Pandora

8FnQtU5.jpg
NVhOwHe.jpg
5M5As0U.jpg
9buCzQw.jpg

And Flight of Passage, over a 200 min standby time! Thankfully another FP for me!

cnGF1nW.jpg
bVDPz8Q.jpg
PEcV6X8.jpg

I considered getting this air plant for my mom but didn’t want to transport it

UADV3Vu.jpg

Some more decorations

DwrICY0.jpg

My typical routine at AK continued – up to Africa with the crowds

I5ezrfz.jpg
Jw6a93j.jpg
HRZCfDi.jpg
8PQXgDm.jpg

And a fun Christmas tree

zvG52bs.jpg
uM4FaIK.jpg
FrfOsKk.jpg

Time for a safari, 115 min standby wait time.

Kbv1lbH.jpg
EBZ36F7.jpg

Animal spam!

MNc2Eg4.jpg
euIhiWY.jpg
76PmEsR.jpg
YbHFRdU.jpg

Savannah time, complete with baby (toddler?) giraffes galore

WVQfLCr.jpg
82BqRVi.jpg
jQEE235.jpg
PlLaxCC.jpg
GPkr1cc.jpg

Mandrills were out and active

oMN63aV.jpg
QHDRvBU.jpg

Elephants, rhinos

9AuHNB9.jpg
2D6BzJl.jpg
Bq2FqvH.jpg

Cheetahs, lions, warthogs

yRPVCMe.jpg
BVGRZi1.jpg
jMnna7K.jpg
dhSE8fz.jpg

Continuing the animal explorations, over to Gorilla Falls trail.

nTB57yR.jpg

I had a moment with one of the gorillas… we just sort of stared at each other for a while.

4qXFdTS.jpg
XcczE31.jpg
1JPjK3q.jpg

This one looked super relaxed!

rOUJAlD.jpg

And baby Gracie! I don’t remember if I got to see her the previous visit (she was born while I was there, so if I did see her, she was cradled by her mom), but this made up for it! Such a cutie!

TXY4LSI.jpg
iwpONlD.jpg
NMMBJ8i.jpg
P5X7b4R.jpg
uXq7wsX.jpg

On my way to Asia I stopped for a refreshing drink, The Asante Slush (shaved ice with mango and watermelon syrup; I don’t think I got the alcoholic option). It was pretty yummy!

dQJ4zcj.jpg
UJSPMH0.jpg

And I ran into Kevin

9jVIReR.jpg
qbDJugq.jpg
KYD8VLy.jpg

And Everest, which had a 140 min standby and 60 minute single rider! Insane!

CTEd7M4.jpg
XhtbXMw.jpg
BNLUXY0.jpg
Pj1YOch.jpg

No extra wait for front row though, so I made sure to request that (I had a FP); I especially like requesting the front when I’m a solo FP person because then a single rider also gets to do it!

oYoZPGH.jpg
eydskYw.jpg

Another animal exploration – Maharajah Jungle Trek

8iGnt2F.jpg
r7S5idP.jpg

The girl tiger was out and playing with her ball in the water, which was super cool to see!

5v64aG7.jpg
axkV3LC.jpg

And then wandered around her enclosure; I also caught feeding time (a keeper threw her some meat from above)

TFycNVg.jpg
Gbn4jkx.jpg
vtfuIPo.jpg
zRQ4tqg.jpg

Afterwards, gibbon time, and they were pretty active, which was again cool!

XfwU6gx.jpg
guWEhHZ.jpg
KJswKUG.jpg
F5dDJHj.jpg

A lovely day even with the crowds!

lSq07Lu.jpg

I adored the Russell and Dug trees at their meet and greet.

Eydus0y.jpg
nv7HY7A.jpg
i0Dotz8.jpg
ucNbg4A.jpg

And the lovely gate mural

5L7d4dt.jpg

I had some time before dinner so ended up chilling in Nomad Lounge. I was hoping for a patio spot but those are always all grabbed whenever I visit, so I was inside (where I always feel the A/C is pumped up too much)

ySRRLvZ.jpg
AqgcXtv.jpg

For dinner, I met with Zach at Tiffins (gotta go here every trip)

kdTtR8k.jpg
o0rfJmO.jpg

I think we ate in the smaller room (can’t remember its name), which was a first as I usually eat in the Gallery room.

Md86Gqh.jpg
qlnX748.jpg
ESRoOJe.jpg
29b2pbs.jpg

Typical bread. I got the Tamarind Short Ribs. Zach got the cheese plate and the shrimp and grits. Everything delicious!

HIDI6LL.jpg
QtGJuC7.jpg
Ae8UzOV.jpg
KSRVH36.jpg

For dessert, we both got the The Lion King (Caramel mousse, chocolate brownie, strawberry-mango sauce). I knew what it would look like, but Zach didn’t, and if you remember, he’s a major Lion King fan, so I took photos of his reaction, which was priceless! It was also a yummy dessert!

EOXTG4g.jpg
9yOTONN.jpg
a5lhmJu.jpg

The souvenir artwork at the end

u4g0CfJ.jpg

Before leaving, we stopped at the entrance to admire the lights.

xwAdNul.jpg
6PoCh0V.jpg
tDCqYmG.jpg
mTpfWMm.jpg
2Ew5YHN.jpg
wT3PmsL.jpg
dmapm73.jpg
RWT1hpU.jpg

I was hoping the Tree of Life Awakenings would still be the Christmas one, but unfortunately it wasn’t, but we did get to see the Lion King version.

svehi7o.jpg
LkTUMxe.jpg
DOsffYV.jpg
vK0mfMe.jpg
3BPmHIx.jpg

And back to the front where Zach gave me a ride back to the Boardwalk. This was also the first time I took the trams at WDW (although I would take them at DL all the time)!

7XpZEz7.jpg
7uKBFto.jpg

When I got back to boardwalk it was a bit depressing as all the decorations were gone! (Another reason I advise leaving on Jan 1-2, so you don’t see everything being removed as it’s a bit depressing!)

9b5ByY8.jpg

I did like the castle paintings in the lobby though!

j6aNbBy.jpg
JRkwEer.jpg
jEDdNdC.jpg

Coming up - First time at Diet Epcot...

Holy crowded MK! I would not want to deal with those crowds. I think you made the right touring decisions though, good fast passes and enjoy the little things and not stress.

AK also looks wildly crowded. But again, you’re a pro with the touring plan. Tiffins always looks so good. I don’t now if I’ll ever end up going, but it’s on my list of possibilities!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter