• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

High Speed Internet @ FW

When we were in the 700 loop in December we drafted off peoples unsecured networks about 80% of the time. Not the greatest speed sometimes but there were several unsecured networks to draft off of. I 8 days we had to hook up the modem two or three times at the most.pirate:

Can I check if I understand correctly?

If one was going for a cabin, do you still need to go get the kit? It's not in the cabin when you arrive?

Do you need to reserve said kits in advance or do you reckon there isn't much demand for them?

Thanks,

Tim

We always take a WiFi router with us. Often we can "hitchhike" on someone else's unsecured signal, but when we cannot, then we set up our router.

We leave it set as unsecured so others can ride on our signal too. I think it's only fair to share with your neighbors.

We go 1 day at a time and always check for a free signal before we pay up for another day.

Don't get me wrong because I see nothing wrong with it, but opening up Disney's internet access to people who haven't paid for it via your own wireless router is probably against the terms of service for the WI-FI. Like I said, that probably wouldn't stop me from sharing, and it definitely wouldn't stop me from using the access that someone else is providing, but if you care about such things - it is probably against the rules.

Can I check if I understand correctly?

If one was going for a cabin, do you still need to go get the kit? It's not in the cabin when you arrive?

Do you need to reserve said kits in advance or do you reckon there isn't much demand for them?

Thanks,

Tim
You will need to request a kit at check-in. I don't think that you can reserve one, but you could call the front desk at FW and ask:rolleyes1. When you get a cable kit, they will ask you to sign a book to check it out and charge your cc a $100 refundable deposit that you will get back when you turn it back in. You can keep it until you leave and don't have to sign up for service except for the days you want it. I only had one trip recently where they were out of kits and I had to be put on a waiting list for it. It was at Thanksgiving, but on other trips during the off-peak time you shouldn't have a problem.:)

sometimes i can pick up free wireless. Just depends on what loop i am in. But usually i just tether to my at&t cell phone. I pay 30 bucks a month for unlimited internet so this is cheaper than disney. I get great signal and have no problem surfing the web or receiving and sending emails.

I tried the kit one time and had nothing but problems.

Last time I used one of the Disney kits was in '07. You couldn't reserve them and they were first come, first serve. Worked fine.

I've had a Verizon air card since '08 and get terrific service/signal at FW. I do pick up other people's unsecured networks from time to time, but they're not reliable and more and more people seem to be locking them these days. :surfweb:

sometimes i can pick up free wireless. Just depends on what loop i am in. But usually i just tether to my at&t cell phone. I pay 30 bucks a month for unlimited internet so this is cheaper than disney. I get great signal and have no problem surfing the web or receiving and sending emails.

I tried the kit one time and had nothing but problems.

I have unlimited data access plan with my AT&T account for my Blackberry but was told that I had to pay an extra fee if I wanted to tether it to my laptop. What kind of plan do you have and where did you buy your tether? When I checked on the tether kit at Radio Shack they told me that I would have to subscribe to an additional service. The price I was quoted by AT&T for the tether service was $60/mo. I can get an aircard for that.

Not sure if blackberry's have bluetooth, but I can wirelessly tether my Macbook to my PPC via bluetooth. Might be worth looking into.

:santa:

Not sure if blackberry's have bluetooth, but I can wirelessly tether my Macbook to my PPC via bluetooth. Might be worth looking into.

Blackberries do have bluetooth, but I have a PC. I don't know how to link the two. My HP has bluetooth, but I don't know how to link them.

I just set up a partnership between the two and the Mac asks me if I want to add the PPC as a network connection option. But that's a Mac... it just works! LOL

I bet with some playing you can figure it out... and maybe a few google searches. Here's hoping.

There are different ways to tether, but the bottom line is that it's against the terms and conditions of service to tether without the appropriate plan.

The difference between doing it with a cell phone and doing it with an air card is that the tethering plan can be added two days before vacation starts (giving you time to test it out at the cost of $1/day, assuming you have a smartphone-- $2/day if you don't subscribe to data at all), and then continue using it until the last day of vacation. Then you call, drop it back, and voila! $10/day fees at the resorts avoided. You only pay the prorated charge for the days when it's active.

I just set up a partnership between the two and the Mac asks me if I want to add the PPC as a network connection option. But that's a Mac... it just works! LOL

I bet with some playing you can figure it out... and maybe a few google searches. Here's hoping.

I did the same when I had my BB pearl and Macbook on osx 10.4 and 10.5.
It required running a script I got off the net, and on T-Mobile tethering is not even discussed in the TOS.

I went to 10.6 Snow Leopard on my Macbook and lost tethering via bluetooth with the BB, no real problem since I switched shortly thereafter to AT&T and the iPhone 3G (wife got a 3Gs, lucky gal).
I was able to Set up a tethering profile on my iPhone using blackrain, without opening it up to viruses and hacks. I can tether via USB or bluetooth now.

As I recall my wife was able to USB tether to a blackberry, but not bluetooth on her PC. I forget if that was a non-bluetooth computer or a limitation of the PC.

in anyway, this covers what I did on both types when we had BB

blackberrycool.com/2009/03/10/how-to-tether-your-blackberry-for-free-via-bluetooth-mac-and-pc/ (add w w w)

My wife and I are F1 nuts, and she hopes to DVR/slingbox the Canadian GP from our house to Ft Wilderness, I may have to rent the modem that one day so she can watch it on the computer. I am glad you can do so in the partials now.

just making sure I understand,,,,

I have a verizon cell phone with ability to get on the Internet that I pay for. I was told by Verison that you can "tether" your phone to your laptop in order to get Mobile Broadband connection to get Internet access

Does anyone have any experience with getting online this way?

Yes you can do it. I have with my Sprint phone. Remember, this is "data" use, not cell minutes, so be sure you have a data plan.

Also, if you have an android phone, go to Market and get Pdanet. This program will let you tether you android phone as a modem.

I see it has been awhile since any posts on here.
I will be at the Fort in November and wondered about bringing my laptop. I do not have an internet card. I'm not sure I understand how it works. I will be in a cabin. So I pay a deposit and get a modem set up that will allow me to go on the internet. Then I pay $9.95 a day to have internet access. Is this all correct?

Are there areas in the Fort with free WiFi such as an Internet cafe? I saw people say they were able to by Pioneer Hall. Any other areas ??

Thanks for your help...

Bette

I see it has been awhile since any posts on here.
I will be at the Fort in November and wondered about bringing my laptop. I do not have an internet card. I'm not sure I understand how it works. I will be in a cabin. So I pay a deposit and get a modem set up that will allow me to go on the internet. Then I pay $9.95 a day to have internet access. Is this all correct?

Are there areas in the Fort with free WiFi such as an Internet cafe? I saw people say they were able to by Pioneer Hall. Any other areas ??

Thanks for your help...

Bette

If you will be in a cabin, the modem is already hardwired in the cabin. Just plug the ethernet cord into your laptop and plug it into the connection in the cabin (there should be a sign and directions in the cabin).

There is WiFi near Pioneer Hall and the Meadows, but nothing free. You still have to pay. There is also a room above the checkin desk with hardwired high speed connections and regular dial up connections. You still have to pay for the high speed. If your ISP still allows regular dialup, you may be able to get free internet that way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter