• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

High Speed Internet @ FW

T C D Thank you for responding....I had heard of this area but did not know exactly where it was located. This is much better than using your laptop with all the hustle and bustle inside the outpost.

Nancy

The Disunplug said that Pioneer Hall was a wireless hotspot.

We just got back and the FW info from the front desk does say that there is wireless access at Pioneer Hall. We didn't use it, so I don't know if there is still a charge.

Boooooo

I stayed at the lovely Holiday Inn, in Amana Plantation Iowa, they had free wireless. The rest areas in Iowa have free wireless. Busch Stadium in St. Louis has free wireless.... Why can't disney provide it.

Just rember to hook up you router before you sign up for internet access. The reason is it all works off of your mac address of your computer,so if you sign up then hook up your router it will ask you to pay twice ( differant mac address) so hook up the router first so they get its mac address not your pc's. The reason I know this is I work for a ISP and we get this call al the time of I signed up and they I put my router on and it wants me to pay again.
I hope this helps .pirate:

Most SOHO routers have the option to spoof or clone a MAC address. This would solve the problem as well.

Thanks for the info - albeit very disappointing..! $10/day is way overpriced - okay it is Disney afterall. There really isnt any reason for them not to offer free WIRELESS internet access..except $$$. lol

While expensive it really isn't all that bad and comparable to other hotels we have stayed at (some resorts in Hawaii and the hyatt at MCO).

Kind of stinks--but the way it is I guess.

Thanks for the info--we were wondering about this!

Also can we hook up any old cable to the cable access to a television, or do they charge for that as well?

Thanks for the info - albeit very disappointing..! $10/day is way overpriced - okay it is Disney afterall. There really isnt any reason for them not to offer free WIRELESS internet access..except $$$. lol

A lot of "hi end" hotels and resorts are charging this. I was put up in a Marriott just outside of Boston last fall and had the same charge. When I asked around, most of the higher-end hotels in the area were charging the same.

We just got back and the FW info from the front desk does say that there is wireless access at Pioneer Hall. We didn't use it, so I don't know if there is still a charge.

I hope someone can tell us for sure. I plan on using my cell phone data plan for access to check emails and such, but one night a week I have an online class that needs hi-speed access.

We'll be in a preferred site, so if I have to I'll get the modem and pay the fee that day. I'd just prefer not to if I don't have to.

Here's the link to the DIS page on Internet access, including WiFi: Internet Access at WDW[/URL]

In confirmation of that info, I called the Outpost and the girl there told me that the WiFi at Pioneer Hall has the same $9.95 charge for a 24-hr period. She didn't mention about the $4.99 for 60 min, but that wouldn't work for me anyway - my class is 3 hrs long. I might as well "rent" the cable modem kit and do the class from the campsite.

I usually don't rant but the idea that something is free isn't logical. This includes WiFi or internet access at WDW.

First, I am a frequent business traveler. Some hotels and locations charge for high speed internet and some don't. In general, the higher end the hotel, the more likely they are to charge. Typical rates are $10-$15 per day. Airports almost always charge. The most I have paid is in the UK and Malta, it was $30+ per day.

Back to the free part. WDW certainly could provide "free" access. They would just add the cost to your nightly rate. I am not sure everyone would want to pay for this, regardless if they are going to use it. Most guests at WDW are not traveling on business, so I would venture to say that most would not want this service.

I usually don't rant but the idea that something is free isn't logical. This includes WiFi or internet access at WDW.

First, I am a frequent business traveler. Some hotels and locations charge for high speed internet and some don't. In general, the higher end the hotel, the more likely they are to charge. Typical rates are $10-$15 per day. Airports almost always charge. The most I have paid is in the UK and Malta, it was $30+ per day.

Back to the free part. WDW certainly could provide "free" access. They would just add the cost to your nightly rate. I am not sure everyone would want to pay for this, regardless if they are going to use it. Most guests at WDW are not traveling on business, so I would venture to say that most would not want this service.
I'm not trying to start an argument, but I have observed the same thing...the higher the room rate, the more likely to charge for internet access. To me, this and your post, are both illogical. Why would a less expensive hotel provide it for free (i.e. Holiday Inn, Red Roof Inn, La Quinta etc.)? Also, why would less expensive camp grounds provide free Wi-Fi (i.e. KOA, State Parks, etc.) The last two private camp grounds we stayed in offered free Wi-Fi. Does that mean that those who didn't take advantage of it were paying too much for their sites? This past weekend we stayed at a KOA and didn't use the pool (we were there for local attractions not associated with the KOA), were we being over charged? Two weekends ago we stayed at the North Georgia Fairgrounds and didn't use the tennis courts, lake, or swimming pool (we were there for a rally), were we being over charged? Both camp grounds provided free Wi-Fi and I'm sure there were plenty of folks that didn't take advantage of the free Wi-Fi. In fact, I didn't use my lap top at all while at the KOA. Was I overcharged?

Fact is Disney could provide free Wi-Fi if they wanted. The antenna is a minimal cost and charges are $70/month for all of the band width not per user. But that would be discontinuing a revenue stream. One day they will provide it for free because it will be so mainstream it will be like electricity at all sites (I remember as a child not all sites had electricity). Personally, I think they should include internet access free to the preferred sites and require a deposit for the cable modem if you want to have internet at your site. Then those who don't have preferred sites aren't paying for it and those who are getting cable will already be paying for it as part of the preferred site charge. Or they could just put a Wi-Fi antenna in each area to serve 3 or 4 loops (maybe more) each and not charge anyone for internet access.

uh, checking out faq threads- this one hasn't been updated in almost 2yrs.
I heard about the internet access they are putting in as they remodel FW?

So is it still deposit for a kit like this or wifi now?

And how much does access to the wifi (if that is what it is) cost now?

I would not be surprised, though, if there is a hot spot.

But there isn't any mention of this being a hot spot on any of the literature that FW provides.

I have not actually used this, but in when we were at FtW in January I ran into a winter person I know who was sitting on the porch at Meadow with her laptop. I noticed she did not have an air card - but was online. So, I asked if she sprang the $9.95 for a day's worth of access. She had no idea what I was talking about! She told me Meadow was a hot spot & anyone could come up and get online! Like I said, I never tried this - so please, TCD, check it out for us. When we were there in January 08, DH had trouble getting a signal anywhere, even after he used the KTTW code to sign on.

We were there in December/08 and we still used the kit, we were in the 700 loop. It was still $125 refundable deposit and you still paid $9.95 for a 24 hour period. There were a couple of hot spots I found - at the Meadows sitting on the porch and in the parking lot at the Outpost you could pick up a wireless signal, but it was through Disney and you still had to pay the $9.95.

This seems like a PIA...considering what they're charging for sites now..I think they could offer free wirelss internet.
Okay..that's going to far.:laughing: What was I thinking?:confused3 ....it's Disney after all. But come on....it's ridiculous. :sad2: They should be offering wireless internet.:surfweb:

Good to know where those hot spots are!:thumbsup2 Let's hope they're still working!

Hard to believe that two years have passed since this thread began.

I actually was at the Fort this past weekend (2/12/09-2/16/09).

The information on this thread is still accurate.

But, there is now cable at every loop, so the internet kit will work at any campsite in the Fort.

And, there are now three Wi-Fi spots designated on the official Fort Wilderness map provided at check in. They are located at the Reception Outpost (in the internet cafe mentioned above); the Meadow Trading Post; and Pioneer Hall. All of these Wi-Fi spots require payment. There is no free internet at the Fort (or anywhere else on WDW property for that matter) (except for DVC members staying at a DVC resort).

TCD

Deb- about that lady you saw, I think that you can access limited Disney sites from your computer at the Wi-Fi spots. You can't visit sites other than those that they let you without paying.

She told me Meadow was a hot spot & anyone could come up and get online!

Hmmm.... curious!! I wonder if maybe she was lucky enough to be working off a nearby camper's WiFi and didn't even know it?? I'd think that if there really was FREE WiFi at FW, we'd have heard about it here by now. ;)

I used my air card in December. From what my card picked up, several campers around me were doing the same thing.

ETA: Thanks for the confirmation, TCD!

Hmmm.... curious!! I wonder if maybe she was lucky enough to be working off a nearby camper's WiFi and didn't even know it??

You know, I never thought about that. You're probably correct!

She was on her email at the time, and because e-mail & internet were new to her, she wanted me to see all the jokes and stuff I've received millions of time!:rolleyes1 Thank goodness I had my cell phone & my DH called to find out where I was (about 25 minutes after leaving the RV for a coffee run).

Hard to believe that two years have passed since this thread began.

I actually was at the Fort this past weekend (2/12/09-2/16/09).

The information on this thread is still accurate.

But, there is now cable at every loop, so the internet kit will work at any campsite in the Fort.

And, there are now three Wi-Fi spots designated on the official Fort Wilderness map provided at check in. They are located at the Reception Outpost (in the internet cafe mentioned above); the Meadow Trading Post; and Pioneer Hall. All of these Wi-Fi spots require payment. There is no free internet at the Fort (or anywhere else on WDW property for that matter) (except for DVC members staying at a DVC resort).

TCD

Deb- about that lady you saw, I think that you can access limited Disney sites from your computer at the Wi-Fi spots. You can't visit sites other than those that they let you without paying.

This past December my 16 yo DS took the lap top over to the Meadows TP porch every night and went online, we never paid a dime, he was going to myspace and facebook and doing research for a school project.

This past December my 16 yo DS took the lap top over to the Meadows TP porch every night and went online, we never paid a dime, he was going to myspace and facebook and doing research for a school project.

Ok I am definitely hopping on the cart with the laptop when we go back in Nov. to check this out. :rolleyes:

If anyone gets a chance beforehand, see if you can tell exactly what network you're accessing. Even as I sit here in my living room I'm able to pick up at least 3 of my neighbor's WiFi networks - and it's not like we live on top of each other. When we stayed in 300 in December, I picked up a signals from several other campers, but those were all locked.

Given the proximity of sites to Meadows, it's entirely possible that people are getting into other folks' unprotected networks too. Love to know for sure, though. Maybe we've unearthed a big ol' FW secret!! Shhhhh - don't tell! :ssst:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter