High School Class of 2016/College Class 2020

DD's school is going to online classes and graduation is apparently canceled. They're all in shock. DD was crying to me on the phone that she's not ready to leave. The administration is not answering logistics questions and I have to figure out how to get her packed and moved out this week. It's so unfair.
Awww. That's sad. I wondered about graduation. We could still be in the thick of it at that time, so I guess I get it. But it's disappointing for all those who worked for that moment.
Wow, I didn't realize they were getting "sent home" I did wonder about the dorms and cafeteria style eating. But I'm still shocked they're literally closing the campus. DD lives off campus so I haven't heard what the kids on campus are being asked to do there.
😢

Last edited:
DD's school is going to online classes and graduation is apparently canceled. They're all in shock. DD was crying to me on the phone that she's not ready to leave. The administration is not answering logistics questions and I have to figure out how to get her packed and moved out this week. It's so unfair.
Oh man already? The administration probably has zero idea how to answer logisitics, and hopefully someone takes the lead and stands up to make decisions soon.
Mine has her spring break school sponsored trip for field work cancelled -so far anyway. Think the prof is going to appeal it-2 small groups of kids were driving to Wyoming to camp and look at rocks (geology). They literally wouldn't be in much contact with anyone other than gas and food stops. But AR banned all out of state travel for schools for 60 days-technically it doesn't apply to secondary ed but UofArk is honoring it. And some rumors of cancelling graduation, but with that more than amonth a way that would be a panic decision to make now. She said the profs also got emails asking how prepared they are for possible online classes-which her classes could easily go to. Her summer field camp (required for graduation) is at 61 days from today-so jussssst outside the window. She's a bit ticked off actually, at the spring break thing and possible field camp cancel. Plus she is to start grad school in SEATTLE in the fall. She lives off campus so thankfully doesn't have to deal with dorm closing. But she does rely on her job to pay rent and for food....

I get the concern. We have to protect our medically fragile population. I do suspect that this virus has spread and been around longer than what is just now being reported (as it is finally being tested)-all the illness from winter of "flu like symptoms" but not testing positive for A or B...And Flu hopefully peaked in December as well so there isn't as much overlap now, to not strain hospitals.

And DD's college is now going to online now to end of semester. And we just had our first case in our community-however the hospital taking the lead is excellent and have truly been planning for this for past several years-ever since they built a state of the art ER/urgent care that can be closed off by 'pod' including airborne illness. And the doc heading it up is really excellent as well-worked with him for years at the hospital.

The research DD was supposed to be able to complete ended up getting cancelled after all. So, she came home and is taking all classes online. She completed her thesis and defense (by zoom or skype or whatever) without all of her data because her last lab result was "in process' when they shut down the lab and she wasn't able to get back in for the results. But, they had mercy on her for that, and she passed, which I guess is all that really matters. But she's bummed she never got to finish her research.
She did her final grad school visit in a virtual format; and, we took a drive over to the school just to look around the campus and surrounding community so she could get a feel for it (even though everything was closed by then). She liked it; but, has settled on Emory University for grad school.
She finally got a message from her college that they are going to have a "virtual" graduation. She's passing on that. Just sounds like sitting in front of your computer for a speech or two. Luckily, she hadn't ordered her gown yet, so she didn't get burned on that cost.
She's been apartment shopping "virtually" this week and hopes to be settled on her future home in the next week or two. Hoping and praying that all of this has settled down by fall, and she'll be able to get started on time. We've still got to go back to her current apartment to pack up her furniture and housewares at some point. We're hoping to go during the weekend of her former graduation because I've already got time off for that. Hopefully, we don't have issues with non-essential travel. But, it's not like we'd be stopping anywhere, just there and back.
We've got our fingers crossed that all of this works out... How are your kids doing?

Ds came to town yesterday for his birthday, actually to go bike riding with his girlfriend who is currently living with her parents because her internship is around here (she attends the same college as ds). He seems content living with 4 other guys who stayed and interning at home. He moves into another place next month. It’s easier on him since we have 2 HS students and 1 college student learning from home, plus DH working from home. Those couple of weeks with him and dd23 working from home (accountant) was nuts.

Our case count is almost 300, death 23, my town is so small, the hospitals overwhelmed.

The research DD was supposed to be able to complete ended up getting cancelled after all. So, she came home and is taking all classes online. She completed her thesis and defense (by zoom or skype or whatever) without all of her data because her last lab result was "in process' when they shut down the lab and she wasn't able to get back in for the results. But, they had mercy on her for that, and she passed, which I guess is all that really matters. But she's bummed she never got to finish her research.
She did her final grad school visit in a virtual format; and, we took a drive over to the school just to look around the campus and surrounding community so she could get a feel for it (even though everything was closed by then). She liked it; but, has settled on Emory University for grad school.
She finally got a message from her college that they are going to have a "virtual" graduation. She's passing on that. Just sounds like sitting in front of your computer for a speech or two. Luckily, she hadn't ordered her gown yet, so she didn't get burned on that cost.
She's been apartment shopping "virtually" this week and hopes to be settled on her future home in the next week or two. Hoping and praying that all of this has settled down by fall, and she'll be able to get started on time. We've still got to go back to her current apartment to pack up her furniture and housewares at some point. We're hoping to go during the weekend of her former graduation because I've already got time off for that. Hopefully, we don't have issues with non-essential travel. But, it's not like we'd be stopping anywhere, just there and back.
We've got our fingers crossed that all of this works out... How are your kids doing?
Wow, busy, busy! Congratulations to her on finishing up and getting settled with grad school, etc. Good luck with the move! Keep us updated!

Ds came to town yesterday for his birthday, actually to go bike riding with his girlfriend who is currently living with her parents because her internship is around here (she attends the same college as ds). He seems content living with 4 other guys who stayed and interning at home. He moves into another place next month. It’s easier on him since we have 2 HS students and 1 college student learning from home, plus DH working from home. Those couple of weeks with him and dd23 working from home (accountant) was nuts.

Our case count is almost 300, death 23, my town is so small, the hospitals overwhelmed.
That does sound nuts with so many working from home! Bike riding is a nice activity with his girlfriend. It’s good that they can manage some time together. DS hasn’t been able to see his gf much and it’s been hard on both of them.

Mine are limping to the home stretch and finish line. DD is finishing up her nursing classes and had a lot of extra work piled on with clinicals cancelled, but it was good and necessary work. I got to watch some of the interactive videos and assignments which were fascinating for me having graduated from (same) nursing school way before we had internet or even word processing! She completed her capstone work this week, so only has a couple of small projects and some tests left. Last week our Governor ordered that senior nursing students in their last semester can begin work early, with supervision (because I think the NCLEX has been pushed back to September instead of July), so she’s waiting to hear more about that, but is already working in a hospital and her unit is now a Covid unit so she’s getting good experience (and I pray that she remains safe :worried: ). I never would’ve dreamed she’d start her career this way! She is so glad she’s almost done! It’s felt like practically all she did was study for the past four years!

DS still has an internship to do after this semester. He thought he’d do it over the summer but is not sure that will be possible now, so he’ll work FT over the summer at the job he’s had, then will get the internship done in the fall, hopefully. He did lose his whole senior baseball season and that was sad, but he’s keeping it in perspective. He has the option to play another year but I think he wants to be done with school! He could walk at graduation since there is no December ceremony, but I think it’s cancelled. I don’t think either is too broken-hearted, but we would’ve enjoyed it. DD’s pinning ceremony is also in jeopardy so some of my nurse friends and I might do a small, private ceremony for her and some of her friends since it is a right of passage for nurses.

From a financial perspective, we will be so glad when both are done! :lmao:

Wow, busy, busy! Congratulations to her on finishing up and getting settled with grad school, etc. Good luck with the move! Keep us updated!

That does sound nuts with so many working from home! Bike riding is a nice activity with his girlfriend. It’s good that they can manage some time together. DS hasn’t been able to see his gf much and it’s been hard on both of them.

Mine are limping to the home stretch and finish line. DD is finishing up her nursing classes and had a lot of extra work piled on with clinicals cancelled, but it was good and necessary work. I got to watch some of the interactive videos and assignments which were fascinating for me having graduated from (same) nursing school way before we had internet or even word processing! She completed her capstone work this week, so only has a couple of small projects and some tests left. Last week our Governor ordered that senior nursing students in their last semester can begin work early, with supervision (because I think the NCLEX has been pushed back to September instead of July), so she’s waiting to hear more about that, but is already working in a hospital and her unit is now a Covid unit so she’s getting good experience (and I pray that she remains safe :worried: ). I never would’ve dreamed she’d start her career this way! She is so glad she’s almost done! It’s felt like practically all she did was study for the past four years!

DS still has an internship to do after this semester. He thought he’d do it over the summer but is not sure that will be possible now, so he’ll work FT over the summer at the job he’s had, then will get the internship done in the fall, hopefully. He did lose his whole senior baseball season and that was sad, but he’s keeping it in perspective. He has the option to play another year but I think he wants to be done with school! He could walk at graduation since there is no December ceremony, but I think it’s cancelled. I don’t think either is too broken-hearted, but we would’ve enjoyed it. DD’s pinning ceremony is also in jeopardy so some of my nurse friends and I might do a small, private ceremony for her and some of her friends since it is a right of passage for nurses.

I wondered how your daughter was doing in her final semester of nursing. What an absolutely crazy time to be a new nurse. She and her classmates are going to be very experienced and tough as nails when it's all over. I feel so bad for the high school seniors who are trying to figure out their plans for college and the college seniors who were heading out into the workforce. What a nightmare this has been for them. I hope the virus slows its roll by the fall; and, things start to improve.

DD is not getting her PhD in May. It's been postponed until October. Luckily, she had finished up her last round of physical lab work before they closed down the lab. Others were not as lucky. And since it was at MD Anderson, in Houston, that might mean that some cancer research is on hold now, costing more precious time to be lost for some patients.

One of ds’s housemates is a nursing major, senior, he’s in the hosp every day. He wears a mask in the house at all times. Scary time to be in healthcare.🙏

My college senior should be done with her work in next week or so. She's very frustrated with one class-that was partially online already but had labs in person-as the teacher is apparently awful with time management and getting things posted in timely manner. Her graduation was cancelled (has the cap and gown) but could walk in December graduation. She will be moving to Seattle this fall for grad school, so doubtful she will go to graduation. Will be weird having her so far away. I am keeping an eye out on flight prices-with the low fares and flexible changing of dates as needed-thinking I just may buy her a ticket to come home in December.

So, "grad weekend" is over. We had a hotel reservation and PTO scheduled, and decided to use the time to get all her stuff moved out of her apartment.
The weather was a hot mess. It rained hard 95% of our 5 hour drive to her school Friday morning and snowed overnight Fri-Sat and had another short squall Saturday morning. It was soooo cold. Her graduation was supposed to be an outdoor event, so it might be a little bonus that we didn't have to sit outside during all of that.
We also discovered one other small bonus to the cancelled graduation: we had the campus essentially to ourselves including all the best locations for pictures. So, we took grad pictures when the sky was clear and got some really nice shots without fighting for parking or waiting on others taking pictures also. DD hadn't gotten her cap and gown before the shut down, but a roommate let her use hers.
The virtual graduation was Saturday morning. Basically just speeches, then their names rolling across a blue background as someone read them. We weren't watching; but, her roommates did and sent her a video clip of her name along with their cheers.
So, she's officially finished. Have any of your schools had their grad events or are they delaying? Any steps toward re-opening in your area?

So, "grad weekend" is over. We had a hotel reservation and PTO scheduled, and decided to use the time to get all her stuff moved out of her apartment.
The weather was a hot mess. It rained hard 95% of our 5 hour drive to her school Friday morning and snowed overnight Fri-Sat and had another short squall Saturday morning. It was soooo cold. Her graduation was supposed to be an outdoor event, so it might be a little bonus that we didn't have to sit outside during all of that.
We also discovered one other small bonus to the cancelled graduation: we had the campus essentially to ourselves including all the best locations for pictures. So, we took grad pictures when the sky was clear and got some really nice shots without fighting for parking or waiting on others taking pictures also. DD hadn't gotten her cap and gown before the shut down, but a roommate let her use hers.
The virtual graduation was Saturday morning. Basically just speeches, then their names rolling across a blue background as someone read them. We weren't watching; but, her roommates did and sent her a video clip of her name along with their cheers.
So, she's officially finished. Have any of your schools had their grad events or are they delaying? Any steps toward re-opening in your area?
Ds is done with school, the virtual graduation is on the 21st. His cap and gown were sent here, so he came home last weekend to get them for a photograph. He will be back today for Mother’s Day (he’s 1 1/2 hours away). Considering we are in the 3rd worst hit county in NJ (at one point we were leading the pack), not much is opening up, except beaches in the south (just the beaches, not boardwalks or bathrooms), I don’t see it happening soon. With this new discovery of kids getting hit with Kawasaki and getting sick/dying, I think we are looking at 2021.

Nice that you got some good pictures, and snow and rain?? ack-yeah perhaps small silver lining.
Our graduation is delayed until August. She's got her cap/gown etc. Slowly opening up, we've not been hit hard here. Hospitals increased for the surge that hasn't happened (at least not yet and hopefully never).
Kawasaki and getting sick/dying
Worrying for sure, but this syndrome has been around for literally decades. Rare and provoked by an illness although researchers haven't been able to pinpoint a specific source. It is magnified due to the novel coronavirus pandemic. It'd be great with if with the renewed focus if researchers are able to find the reason for this illness!

Congratulations to the grads! So bittersweet! DD still has ten days to go, and I don’t think she ever got a cap and gown but she had paid the money for graduation so she she should probably figure that out. Hasn’t thought much about it as still busy w schoolwork! :headache: I like the idea of getting some pics on campus. Might be tricky for us tho DS never paid for his graduation so probably no cap and gown for him :lmao: Maybe we could do some pics on campus without the caps and gowns. But you kind of need them, right? Ugh

Congratulations to the grads! So bittersweet! DD still has ten days to go, and I don’t think she ever got a cap and gown but she had paid the money for graduation so she she should probably figure that out. Hasn’t thought much about it as still busy w schoolwork! :headache: I like the idea of getting some pics on campus. Might be tricky for us tho DS never paid for his graduation so probably no cap and gown for him :lmao: Maybe we could do some pics on campus without the caps and gowns. But you kind of need them, right? Ugh
Pea, do you know what color cap and gown they use? I have a couple navy blue and a couple black caps and gowns here. I'd be happy to mail one to you as a loaner for pics. Our tassels are gold, and have the wrong years, but you could probably get one of your own by mail. Just PM me if you're interested.

Pea, do you know what color cap and gown they use? I have a couple navy blue and a couple black caps and gowns here. I'd be happy to mail one to you as a loaner for pics. Our tassels are gold, and have the wrong years, but you could probably get one of your own by mail. Just PM me if you're interested.
That is so sweet of you THANK YOU! :goodvibes I will try to figure it out. There might still be some friends/roommates around who got theirs that we could maybe borrow. I’m somehow sensing tho that DS isn’t going to buy the idea, lol. I’ll be lucky if I can get him dressed up and to the campus for pics. Stay tuned!

That is so sweet of you THANK YOU! :goodvibes I will try to figure it out. There might still be some friends/roommates around who got theirs that we could maybe borrow. I’m somehow sensing tho that DS isn’t going to buy the idea, lol. I’ll be lucky if I can get him dressed up and to the campus for pics. Stay tuned!
Oh, I totally understand! The years our sons graduated I told them all I wanted for Mother's Day was for them to agree to some photos on campus. I hope you find a way to get some. Seriously though, don't let the cap and gown stop you. I'm more than happy to loan you some.

And I hope you've been able to find some happy moments on your Mother's Day. I'm sure you have a lot of mixed feelings today for sure. :flower3:

Oh, I totally understand! The years our sons graduated I told them all I wanted for Mother's Day was for them to agree to some photos on campus. I hope you find a way to get some. Seriously though, don't let the cap and gown stop you. I'm more than happy to loan you some.

And I hope you've been able to find some happy moments on your Mother's Day. I'm sure you have a lot of mixed feelings today for sure. :flower3:
It was a tough day but I am working this weekend so just as well. Thank you!

I spoke to DD and she said they are planning an actual graduation at a later date. So I will hold out for that. (But it would be nice to get some pics on campus on a nice day so may shoot for that as well. (Will bribe DS with a “last” Italian sub from his favorite nearby deli.) The school says the fees go toward transcripts and all that too :rolleyes: so he will wind up paying the fee too and getting his gown. Sad that DD won’t have her pinning and DS lost out on all his senior sports activities/Senior Day, but it is what is is.

I got them both tee shirts that were pretty cute. They say Class of 2020 and the zeros are toilet paper rolls. The O in “Class of “, has a mask on it, and then it says “The year that sh#t got real. #quarantined”.:laughing: They liked them. (Found on Instagram.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter