High School Class of 2016/College Class 2020

Well worst fears came true-my HS senior and college senior graduating on same day, 2 hours apart in time but 3 hours apart in driving distance.
On the upside-college senior has a couple really good options for funded graduate school programs and likes both the professors in the programs, and the research. She met them both at a conference she went to this past week to present her research from summer internship.
One program at Purdue, one at UofF in Gainesville.

I hate to hear this for you! I also have one graduating from college and one from high school this year, but they are about 3 weeks apart, so no conflict for us. I would hate to miss either one of them.

Have you talked to your kids yet? What do they say? I hope you can find a special way to celebrate both events. My daughter hasn't decided if she even wants to participate in her college graduation or not. She's not that interested, but her dad wants her to, so she's 'thinking about it.' lol
It really sucks lol!
yeah we are letting the HS senior pick who she wants at her graduation-as her older sister had all of us there at hers. So we are splitting up, and party for both later. However-the HS senior had requested 4 years ago to go to France for her grad trip-so don't feel too bad for her; we leave about 2 weeks after graduation for a 2 week France trip. She has always been more of a dad's kid (He could get her to sleep right away as an infant, where she'd fuss and cry with me, so I'd nurse and hand her off to dad so I could sleep!) so she wants dad at her graduation. I'm ok with that - as we have had

Funny thing is-my middle and youngest are also 4 years apart...

I’m guessing ds will eventually go to grad school, next semester he had one class and a paid internship, and he signed a job offer with the company for after graduation. The good news is that it’s a great offer, the bad news (for me) is it’s by his college, he will stay in his fraternity house until he finds something else. It’s funny to think of him leaving it every morning in a suit and tie.
Nice to have a job offer!!

It really sucks lol!
yeah we are letting the HS senior pick who she wants at her graduation-as her older sister had all of us there at hers. So we are splitting up, and party for both later. However-the HS senior had requested 4 years ago to go to France for her grad trip-so don't feel too bad for her; we leave about 2 weeks after graduation for a 2 week France trip. She has always been more of a dad's kid (He could get her to sleep right away as an infant, where she'd fuss and cry with me, so I'd nurse and hand her off to dad so I could sleep!) so she wants dad at her graduation. I'm ok with that - as we have had

Funny thing is-my middle and youngest are also 4 years apart...

Enjoy your trip!! That sounds fabulous. I'm glad you were able to work out the graduation issue. Hopefully it doesn't repeat with your last two. :) :)

Well the college senior just heard from one of her top picks for grad school. She’d talked to the professor of the lab she would be working in and the department head at her conference in December. Purdue has invited her to visit (expenses paid) next month. She’s definitely come along way from a rather introverted high school freshman!

Well the college senior just heard from one of her top picks for grad school. She’d talked to the professor of the lab she would be working in and the department head at her conference in December. Purdue has invited her to visit (expenses paid) next month. She’s definitely come along way from a rather introverted high school freshman!
That’s great! Let us know

Grad school updates: Purdue visit went well, said the town is alot like FAyetteville, interesting research, good mentor-but he is fairly new at having grad students.
University of Washington reached out to her-the specific program she applied for didn't get back to her, but another professor did. They did a phone chat, hit it off and got an acceptance letter from them! and just got an email inviting her for a visit. This mentor has lots of experience with grad students, but moved to PNW in last year from Madison, and got a $10 mil grant for his research so he is looking for a students now. She'd kinda ruled out this school for a few reasons-among them the program she applied for wasn't her #1 choice, but this program/research she is really interested in. And she is hoping to hear from Florida soon too (that was the app with the latest deadline and so expects to hear from them last).

How is everyone else doing?

Our daughter is also on the verge of grad school visits: Rice, Emory, and Indiana University over the next six weeks, then she'll have to make her final decision. She's only flown once in her life (at 7, to Disney, lol) so hopefully that goes smoothly and without hiccups as I know she'll be a nervous wreck about getting where she needs to be.
She's nervous and excited about the prospect of choosing her program. She's the first in our family to go beyond a bachelors degree so all of this has been really new, and she's been counting on the advice and guidance of her professors.
Dad and I are just trying to keep quiet and let her figure it out for herself, because we don't want her decision to be based on our selfish wants (IU is an easy drive, the others are 10+ hours away). The offers are all comparable, so she is free to focus on the program and people she'll be working with. Fingers crossed that she just falls in love with one and makes the decision an easy one.
Can't wait to hear about the rest of our group!

I don’t know why I didn’t realize it earlier, but when ds went back to school after winter break, he’s most likely never coming home again. He signed a lease for a 3 bedroom apartment for May, he will live with 2 fraternity brothers. This is his last spring break, so I’m guessing he will want to travel, and then he will graduate, move into his new apartmen, and start work. I mean, he’s under 1 1/2 hour away, he will visit, but he won’t be coming home to sleep and stay.

How is everyone else doing?
Mine are both ready to be done!

For DD it's been very intense and she hasn't been able to do a lot besides study most of the time. Of her class that started out at over 160, they're down to just about 82 now. Many of the people she started with dropped out, or back, so she's had to make mostly new friends along the way, but luckily their clinical groups are tight. She's doing her Senior Practicum now and she was fortunate enough to get chosen to go to MGH (they have to apply with a resume and cover letter, and they look at work experience and so on), so she's one on one with a nurse there for this semester. Hopefully she'll be done in May (knock on wood), then sit for her boards (which, knock on wood she passes), then she'll start the job search. She'll cast her net wide and wind up wherever she can find a job. Once she gets a couple of years of experience she can then figure out what she wants to do next, but will be able to pretty much go anywhere at that point; employers just want some experience. So she's in a good place.

DS has an internship to do over the summer and then he'll be done (knock on wood). He'll still get to walk in May at graduation. He's had a nice job in his field for almost a year now, and they've been very accommodating with his sports schedule. He had to stop working (per his coach) this month as his season starts in a couple of weeks, but as long as he does one shift a month they'll keep him on, so he can work there again over the summer. He just told me this morning that they said when he comes back regularly they are planning to promote him to a supervisory role, as they've liked him a lot. I was happy to hear that! Meanwhile he has to apply for internships soon, so fingers crossed he can find one, even if it's unpaid. I think he's reaching out to someone this weekend to get the process started. He's bruised and battered after doing four years in his sport which hasn't been easy, but the experience has been great for him. He'd been thinking about the military but he's found a really nice girlfriend so he's not going anywhere right now. He has to sit for an exam in his field which isn't offered till next spring, but he'll stay with his current company and get some good experience while he waits. So he's in a pretty good place, too.

DH and I will be glad when they're both working full time!

She's nervous and excited about the prospect of choosing her program. She's the first in our family to go beyond a bachelors degree so all of this has been really new, and she's been counting on the advice and guidance of her professors.
omg that’s so exciting! My Sis in law has her PhD and hubs oldest daughter has hers as well - and she’s been a great source of advice. She’s a researcher in myocarditis at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville Florida, and since mine is also going to be inresearch -albeit geology-the advice has been mentor first (get the good mentor!!) and research next.
MGH (they have to apply with a resume and cover letter, and they look at work experience and so on), so she's one on one with a nurse there for this semester. Hopefully she'll be done in May (knock on wood), then sit for her boards (which, knock on wood she passes), then she'll start the job search.
what an terrific experience- fingers crossed the boards are a breeze for her!!
promote him to a supervisory role, as they've liked him a lot
. Nice!! Really says a lot about him that even with a break they think so highly they will promote him. What a great vote of confidence.

yeah it’s hitting now- will be down to one kid left at home as the HS senior is planning college out of state- and not close by either. It’ll be Minnesota or Arizona likely - and we are in MO.

Mjkacmom-It is pretty sad to realize that they are truly spreading their wings now, and won't be our "kids" anymore. I want to just be happy for mine, but it is pretty hard not to feel sorry for myself at the same time. :(
Pea-N-Me, sounds like your two are doing great!! Boards are so nerve-wracking but I'm sure she'll do fine. And good luck to your son in the internship search. His hard work will look great on applications!
Monykalyn, thanks for the tip. I think she's been more focused on the research, so that's good to know/keep in mind. It makes sense when you are going to be working so closely with them.
Okeydokey- that would be so awesome to see your kid performing at the parks!! How fun!

How are things going at your kids' schools? Any coronavirus issues? DD22 school eliminated face-to-face courses and will completing them in an online format. She has one lab component that she hasn't heard about yet, not sure what the plan will be for those.
She got lucky that the school is allowing time-sensitive research to continue and her project was wrapping up in the next months. So, she and one grad student are still allowed to use the lab, they just have to coordinate their schedules to avoid overlap in the lab space. She will be completing her thesis defense by skype.
She has a grad school visit in Indiana next week and I heard that they also went to online courses. I asked if the visit was canceled, and she said they emailed and were leaving it up to her whether or not she wanted to attend. At this point, she's still planning to go.
So, no real crisis, but lots of changes due to the coronavirus.

Ds has spring break next week, his school will move to online classes for the next two weeks. He’s off campus and has a full time internship, so he will go back after break. He has one class which is project based, plus a gym class (basketball I think), so I’m not worried about grades.

DD's school is going to online classes and graduation is apparently canceled. They're all in shock. DD was crying to me on the phone that she's not ready to leave. The administration is not answering logistics questions and I have to figure out how to get her packed and moved out this week. It's so unfair.

DD's school is going to online classes and graduation is apparently canceled. They're all in shock. DD was crying to me on the phone that she's not ready to leave. The administration is not answering logistics questions and I have to figure out how to get her packed and moved out this week. It's so unfair.
I can’t believe they cancelled graduation already! I’m so glad ds is off campus, and is moving from this house to a smaller one in May after graduation. Are they refunding housing and the meal plan?

I can’t believe they cancelled graduation already! I’m so glad ds is off campus, and is moving from this house to a smaller one in May after graduation. Are they refunding housing and the meal plan?
We know nothing yet. The administration is handling this badly IMO. I think they want to use spring break to figure out what they're doing.

My DS went back from Spring Break Sunday, and had classes Monday. At the end of the day they cancelled in person classes for the rest of March, and resident students have to return home if at all possible. DS lives in a house off campus with roommates, so he's decided to stay put and do his online classes there. No word about graduation. I'm secretly hoping they decide to break it up and not have all 3,000 graduate at once. I would love not to sit (or more likely stand) for the whole ceremony. DS did an internship last summer, they liked him and offered him a full-time job after he graduates. They also pay for grad school, so it's a winner all around. I'm just hoping he still graduates on time and can start with the new "class" of employees...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter