***Hey, Hey! Come right in and plan, OFFICIAL OCTOBER 2017 thread!!!***

Sigh. I sort of feel like this is a safer space because we're all excited about our trips...but do the semi-frequent "Disney just isn't worth it" threads elsewhere on the boards ever get to you?

We've been planning this trip (the first in four years for my family and the first in 14 years for my parents) for nearly a year. It's gotten us through some rough stuff this year. We're all very, very excited.

And then I see stuff like that and I start second-guessing things. Am I getting everyone all excited for a trip that's going to be "meh?" Are my parents going to regret it? Are the resorts really filthy, like some people say? The cast members rude and the crowds so ridiculous it's impossible to do anything? I thought I had a great touring plan in place, but will it even help?

I know that it's all often in the attitude, but I just find it really depressing. :(

I see it too, not only here but on a few FB groups I am a member of. It is like almost every other day someone is posting about a negative experience.

There are just some people who just have really unrealistic expectations and feel everything will go as planned and when it doesn't they feel as if their whole world has fallen apart. Now, I totally get being disappointed but some of the things I see are so trivial in my eyes.

I had a friend who went to Disney a week or so ago. She came back so negative. I asked her why she didn't like it and why she was hating on Disney so much. She said because she hates crowds and don't like to ride rides. I was in shock!! She is also the friend who would not listen to one bit of my advice.... "I'm sorry your niece couldn't eat at CRT, but I tried to tell you walking up would not work!!"

I think many people have legitimate concerns and issues that can cause their vacation to be not as great as they would have liked. But I also think there are a lot of people who just blow it all out of proportion.

Like my friend. After listening to her over and over about how much she hated it, I just told her that Disney may not be for her and that is okay.

Any Cast Member with pins will trade one pin for another. They don't turn any pin away, even if they aren't Disney pins. There are pin boards that are sometimes out of sight and you have to ask. Some of the resorts like Wilderness Lodge will have a big pin board on display in the lobby with a CM watching it. They also have pins to sell. Not all CM's wear their pins on a lanyard. Some of them have them on a thing that looks like a big pocket hanging from their waist. If you lose one of the backs to a pin then the CM's with pins can give you one.

We did the Keys to the Kingdom tour and saw the place where the CM's go to pick up new pins and switch out any non-Disney pins that they receive. This particular location was in the secret corridor under the MK. I thought it was very interesting to learn how Disney handles pin trading for guests.

Thank you! He's very excited. I'm going to let him do this thing, but background info can only help. :)

I just found out that my grandmother has terminal cancer and they're giving her a few weeks, maybe a month. Flying home with the kids this weekend without DH because he has a long-ago scheduled business trip. I went on my own to see her last Friday because she wasn't eating and insisted she be taken to the "good" hospital. The nursing home she was in was sort of writing off her complaints as dementia or depression. Turns out it was lung cancer and the pain was from fluid around her heart. I feel such a mix of emotions, angry that her doctor never informed us about an alarming scan she had several years ago, sad that the time she has left is even shorter than I thought, and also grateful that at least she is comfortable now and being taken care of.

I'm not canceling our trip to WDW yet, but I don't know what to do if she goes really quick and the funeral winds up being scheduled for that weekend. Can you reschedule with Disney for bereavement with just a few days notice? We never got trip insurance but I don't think it would be covered anyway.

I don't know, but I"m so sorry. I lost my grandmother to lung cancer years ago and my aunt to it this past spring. :(

Anywho. ;) My 9-year-old decided he'd like to try pin trading while we're there, so I just ordered him a starter set (plus one). Anyone into that? The child doesn't have a shy bone in his body, but he's quizzing me on pin-trading etiquette and I'm all :confused3 (Beyond "be polite," of course!)
Let him pick out a lanyard too, and maybe a hat or something for his pins that he doesn't want to trade. My kids (even my son, who has social anxiety that can creep out at odd times) love to pin trade! It is one of those "slow down and enjoy the moment" type things. Kind of like Wilderness explorer at AK. Stop at the gift shops outside or just inside the parks at odd times (when it is slow) and ask to see pin boards.

Has anyone here had trouble with planning burnout? DH and I've been researching, planning, and saving for this trip for two years, and about a month ago I just stopped looking at anything Disney oriented. Maybe I was afraid I wouldn't enjoy the trip? Maybe I overdid the websearches on which rides to FP, which ADRs to get, which park to visit on which day? Maybe I don't want to be "that visitor" who shows up, ticket in hand, with no clue of what to do? Can you really overdo Disney trip planning?

This is my first trip to WDW since 1979, so most of everything will be new to me. I just don't want to mess it up with micro-managing.
It is really really easy to get caught up in the frenzy of tours, ADRs, dessert parties, down to minute plans etc. One of the best days we had in August started with my son waking up at 2 am and really not feeling well-sitting up with him for over an hour-we scrapped rope drop planned for MK in the am (along with my BoG lunch) and instead slept late, went to the main pool (stayed at SSR), brought some snacks and our mugs and just generally relaxed. Son felt much better so we headed to planned evening park for dinner. When things don't go as planned-stop, breathe and really just try to relax and be in the moment. So what if you miss a fastpass/cancel an ADR/decide to skip part of a day to just chill?

We did the Keys to the Kingdom tour and saw the place where the CM's go to pick up new pins and switch out any non-Disney pins that they receive.
I think my DD might have done this when she was on light duty-but her light duty was at Epcot cast services. They also switch out if they have a lot of duplicates.

Finally went ahead and got MNSSHP tix for the 10th as DD is confirmed that she has the days off while we are there! 3 days to go-leave at 6 am Saturday to meet my MiL on way to Airport 3.5 hours away-worth it for the cheap cheap airfare making this trip possible.

Sigh. I sort of feel like this is a safer space because we're all excited about our trips...but do the semi-frequent "Disney just isn't worth it" threads elsewhere on the boards ever get to you?

We've been planning this trip (the first in four years for my family and the first in 14 years for my parents) for nearly a year. It's gotten us through some rough stuff this year. We're all very, very excited.

And then I see stuff like that and I start second-guessing things. Am I getting everyone all excited for a trip that's going to be "meh?" Are my parents going to regret it? Are the resorts really filthy, like some people say? The cast members rude and the crowds so ridiculous it's impossible to do anything? I thought I had a great touring plan in place, but will it even help?

I know that it's all often in the attitude, but I just find it really depressing. :(

I hear ya! There is an inordinate amount of glass half empty people on this board. I will be happy to skedaddle from here after our trip. But I truly loved getting to "know" our merry band of October travelers! :)

I hear ya! There is an inordinate amount of glass half empty people on this board. I will be happy to skedaddle from here after our trip. But I truly loved getting to "know" our merry band of October travelers! :)

I know I have some unhappiness about the path that TDO is taking with the parks, all the uncharge events and things like that, but I really do sometimes tilt my head at what people complain about. Then again I also do that when people are all excited about all the uncharge stuff and just remember how it was before. I will go back to what I say before, there is always going to be bad and good, you just have to decide what is important to you and to just have fun anyway. And if its really that bad.... go somewhere else that will make you happier for your next trip.

I know I don't post all that much, but I always enjoy these months "when are you going" posts. Helps get my all the more excited about the trip and wish my kids were little again... then again, maybe glad they aren't! :rotfl:

I booked a trip this morning to head to Disney for a quick 4 day weekend the 27th of Oct through 30th! Got my tickets for the Halloween party for the 27th! I am excited. Going to be a pretty flexible trip this time, NOW my December trip is pretty planned out!

Staying a CSR and looking forward to trying out a moderate resort. In the past have stayed at deluxe and off site. Going solo this time as well! Looking forward as well to the Food and Wine Festival, have never been to the world at this time of year AND I don't have to drive! See others there. If any have planned meets I would love to get together with other Diser's!

@ofcabbagesandkings sorry to hear that. Our travel insurance does cover bereavement on a case by case basis. My parents are 89 and 91 and leaving them is always a worry but I have good family who take over when I'm away and definitely need to take our breaks!

I booked a trip this morning to head to Disney for a quick 4 day weekend the 27th of Oct through 30th! Got my tickets for the Halloween party for the 27th! I am excited. Going to be a pretty flexible trip this time, NOW my December trip is pretty planned out!

Staying a CSR and looking forward to trying out a moderate resort. In the past have stayed at deluxe and off site. Going solo this time as well! Looking forward as well to the Food and Wine Festival, have never been to the world at this time of year AND I don't have to drive! See others there. If any have planned meets I would love to get together with other Diser's!

We'll be at the party on the 27th! We'll be an Incredibles family (except Violet is in invisible mode :)

Bit of a downer today - my elderly Mum was taken to A&E overnight - I've just returned from the hospital they've admitted her with breathing problems due to fluid in her heart. Dad's not good on his own so very anxious at the moment. Please send positive thoughts our way October friends.

Bit of a downer today - my elderly Mum was taken to A&E overnight - I've just returned from the hospital they've admitted her with breathing problems due to fluid in her heart. Dad's not good on his own so very anxious at the moment. Please send positive thoughts our way October friends.
Thinking of you. My grandma had the same issue last Friday. They were able to drain the fluid the next day and she is breathing much more comfortably now. Hope your mum feels better.

:grouphug: I hope things improve quickly for your Mum.

Very sorry, sending thoughts your way

Yessssssssssssss! A thousand times yes!!! The boards have been a giant BUMMER lately. I'm so glad that I'm not alone! I can't take any more talk about the crowd levels being insane, MNSSHP not being any fun, the transportation never works the way it should, Photopass is messing up every picture, how I shouldn't use a double stroller for my kids, the food is overpriced, the rides are going offline left and right, and on and on and on.

I also think a number of those threads are in the wrong spot. I only check a few of the sub forums and "Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies" is the main one I check. It doesn't seem like the right spot to debate whether a trip to Disney is worth it or complain about an issue during the trip. Kind of wish those were over in a more applicable spot so those of us planning an upcoming trip wouldn't run into the Debbie Downer's left and right.

I think I'm going to stay away from the boards except for searching for any specific questions I might have, etc. Only 17 days until I leave. WHOO HOO!!!

As someone on the ground this week I will bring you some sunshine-it has been awesome. We had one night (last night) where we waited 25 minutes for a bus...but it wasn't that we waited that long for one to show up in that time there were 2 double buses and then finally 2 singles at the same time and that was what we got on. From what I can tell we just got there at the wrong time since the line never got as long again as it was when we got in in and I could tell by e constant flood of buses that they were clearly trying to get us back to the resorts as much as they could.

Every other experience with the Pop busses has been great. I kept telling my son that we had the magic touch or something becuase every other night we never waited more than 5 minutes for a bus.

Happily Ever After is beyond stunning and worth it. We got there an hour early and found a great spot behind some friendly people-word to the wise you do need to get there this early as it seems like envy person on WDW property is at the hub to see this show. But that should be expected since it is only showing a couple of times a week becuase of Halloween. It was so beautiful I geared up. No body put there giant 7 year old on their shoulders in front of me-but I had asked ahead if this would happen-I made my own happy ending by asking the people in front of me about 5-7 deep if they were going to do this since I am short and I want to be sure I can see. Getting out of the hub was rough but really Duh of course it was.

I have not encountered a single rude guest or CM. I prepared and timed a lot of things (ADRs) to hedge my bets to get seating I want. Last ADR of the day for BOG made it more likely that a seat in the west wing would be available and I got it. An early ADR (7:30) at Rose and Crown helped me get my outdoor seat for the fireworks-of course everyone who gets there at 8 wants to sit outside leaving not enough tables. If I wanted things a certain way I had to plan thoughtfully and thing of getting what I want as only a good possibility.

Also it has NOT been terribly crowded. It just hasn't. Maybe I am used to Disneyland were the smaller size makes it feel more crowded but it has just not felt crowded here aside from being at the hub for HEA. Our halloween party wasn't crowded at all and it was prett easy to do it all. We left right from the last boo to you and we got on the first bus even-standing room only ok but still.

I did realize that rope drop isn't for us-with the 3 hour time change its just too hard for my son to adjust and if he is tired and cranky than forget it. But my expectations were in check so even that wasn't too bad. I knew that by arriving late and missing our. 7dmt and Peter Pan FP that we just wouldn't be able to ride them-that was fine because they were both 20 minutes or lass at the party. BTW do not believe the posted wait times at the party the rides a were all practically walk on or 20 minutes or less-even space was walk on. I don't mean during fireworks I mean regularly through the night.

It has been a beat trip-minus my sons tired melt downs a couple of times. Don't let the doom and gloom get you down.

Doing AK in the rain today. In line for FOP- mainly don’t care about 2 hour wait as we are inside and dry! Looks like rain ponchos are the fashion accessory of the day. 80-90% chances of rain all day.

Is anyone else NOT doing Disney costumes for MNSSHP? My 11yo DS wanted to go Steampunk this year, so my DH decided to match him, and I snagged a super cute Victorian bathing costume. I hope we don't look out of place!

We usually stay deluxe, too, but have booked POR for this trip. It is our third time at this resort and we plan to really relax and enjoy the trip. We are meeting some friends and will just "go with the flow". :)

Is anyone else NOT doing Disney costumes for MNSSHP? My 11yo DS wanted to go Steampunk this year, so my DH decided to match him, and I snagged a super cute Victorian bathing costume. I hope we don't look out of place!
While we did opt for disney for the halloween party (aka I opted for disney and everyone else is just getting handed an outfit and expected to wear it.) Steampunk sounds awesome! I hear there's a fair bit of people wearing all sorts of costumes, no need to worry about feeling out of place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter