Hersheypark

A couple of things. First, (and this is something WDW lacks, in addition to Universal) Hersheypark has some of the classic carnival/amusement park rides like a tilt-a-whirl and a ferris wheel. The only classic ride you find at WDW is Cinderella's Carousel and there's nothing classic at Universal. It's nice to ride simple rides like that without all the bells and whistles that the other parks have to add.

Second, while shows are nice and I certainly don't mind sitting down for one or two at Universal (and MGM/ Hollywood Studios), Universal has shows in excess. They are severely lacking in rides, and though Islands of Adventure sort of makes up for that, they have too many THRILL rides. Despite that, I still love Universal and I'd never pass up an opportunity to go there. I just think Hersheypark has a better balance of things I like.

I agree completely

A couple of things. First, (and this is something WDW lacks, in addition to Universal) Hersheypark has some of the classic carnival/amusement park rides like a tilt-a-whirl and a ferris wheel. The only classic ride you find at WDW is Cinderella's Carousel and there's nothing classic at Universal. It's nice to ride simple rides like that without all the bells and whistles that the other parks have to add.

Second, while shows are nice and I certainly don't mind sitting down for one or two at Universal (and MGM/ Hollywood Studios), Universal has shows in excess. They are severely lacking in rides, and though Islands of Adventure sort of makes up for that, they have too many THRILL rides. Despite that, I still love Universal and I'd never pass up an opportunity to go there. I just think Hersheypark has a better balance of things I like.

Well said and I agree.

I was in Hershey, but it was in the winter so everything was closed.
My list is probably:
1. Dorney Park
2. Disney parks
3. Universal parks

We used to visit quite a bit growing up. We were from Northern NY but had Family in York PA - As well I worked a summer in the Poconos so we made the track a few times a year. We would Visit Hersey Park and Roadside America - Which if you are unfamiliar with that it is a huge model train miniture village display that is really quite something but it is east about another 40 minutes. It has been kept up fairly well but has been there forever (1935) and affordable for a real live Ammerican tourist trap of yester-year.

Oh goodness, Add! I didn't think anyone else in the world knew about Roadside America! That's incredible. We used to visit at least once a year when I was growing up. I loved it to pieces... we're definitely due for a trip.

As far as park rankings... Cedar Point is great, and don't get me wrong, the coasters are incredible... I am all about insane coasters... but Hersheypark definitely has it beat. It is definitely MUCH cleaner and seems to be kept up better than CP. The biggest thing to me is that at CP the rides kept on breaking down. I realize that it is a bigger park and they have more tourists riding in a day, but I worked at HP for a summer with a maintenance and security radio on my belt and I heard over the waves every time there was a technical problem. Let me tell you... in ONE day I spent at CP, I experienced more break-downs and line closures than I did the ENTIRE summer at HP.

** For those of you who know the park well enough... I just recieved news that there are plans to remove the Canyon River Rapids and replace it with a giant wave pool and a lazy river.

Sooooo is anyone hitting the park soon?! :goodvibes

** For those of you who know the park well enough... I just recieved news that there are plans to remove the Canyon River Rapids and replace it with a giant wave pool and a lazy river.

Nooooooooooooo! That's ridiculous. Why would they do that? Everyone loves a good rapids ride (and Hershey had one of the best). :(

ETA: I just read the article and it's even worse than I thought. They're starting work on the new rides in August and I'm going in September, which means the rapids will already be shut down when I get there...

Nooooooooooooo! That's ridiculous. Why would they do that? Everyone loves a good rapids ride (and Hershey had one of the best). :(

ETA: I just read the article and it's even worse than I thought. They're starting work on the new rides in August and I'm going in September, which means the rapids will already be shut down when I get there...

I totally agree. I mean it probably could be re-worked, the water cannons that passers-by could shoot at rafts haven't worked for God knows how long. But to completely take it out is insane. A lazy river in its place?! Seriously? :sad2:

Well, I've decided to go to the park earlier than planned, next Sunday, as a matter of fact, to ride the rapids one (or two or ten) last time(s).

Okay, there was a change of plans and we deicded it would be more convenient if we went on the 27th, if anyone wants to say hi :wave2:

Hi We visit Hershey park usally once a year. Use to be twice a year when the kids were small, we would go at christmas time. This year the kids want to go to dorney park instead. We are very lucky that we live in Pa. and all the great amusment parks are in very close driving distant to us.
Now how can I get disney to build a park near me?

Does anyone know if Dorney park has a bath house? I thought for sure they did, and we are going thursday but my neice says they dont.

Hey, has anyone ridden Fahrenheit yet? I am going to HP for a musical adjudication next year and we only have about 6 hours in the park

Is it worth it?

Hey, has anyone ridden Fahrenheit yet? I am going to HP for a musical adjudication next year and we only have about 6 hours in the park

Is it worth it?

YES, YES, and YES. Lighting Racer, Storm Runner, The Claw, and Farenheit are the MUST RIDES, and this comes from an overly-seasoned park guest. At least 5 times a year since I was three years old.. yeeeah. :rolleyes:

From what I have seen this summer, Farenheit is pretty packed right at the beginning of the day... if you are there near closing, go then... the line has been significantly shorter. We got on 5 times in a row at the end of the night, all within half an hour! :eek: Although if you see that the line isn't into the second section of the queue, go for it!!!

YES, YES, and YES. Lighting Racer, Storm Runner, The Claw, and Farenheit are the MUST RIDES, and this comes from an overly-seasoned park guest. At least 5 times a year since I was three years old.. yeeeah. :rolleyes:

:scared: You're sick and twisted! :rotfl:

I may try the Lightning Racer this time around. It doesn't look much worse than the Comet (am I mistaken about that, since you have it on your list?). That and the Wildcat are my maybes. Speaking of which, it looks like I have to push back my trip yet again, this time for monetary reasons :guilty: Hopefully, I'll get to go before they shut down the rapids.

:scared: You're sick and twisted! :rotfl:

I may try the Lightning Racer this time around. It doesn't look much worse than the Comet (am I mistaken about that, since you have it on your list?). That and the Wildcat are my maybes. Speaking of which, it looks like I have to push back my trip yet again, this time for monetary reasons :guilty: Hopefully, I'll get to go before they shut down the rapids.

Hey now! I was just about to tell you that I can get you $30 tickets, but after that remark I'm not sure I should help out! :rotfl2:

I haven't been on the comet in ages, but if I remember correctly they are quite similar. I am not sure why I love the Racer so much (definitely my favorite)... maybe because it is a good, long ride with "classic" roller coaster elements of fun. Or maybe it's my competitive side coming out... racing friends is a lot of fun; there are plenty of opportunities to make faces and yell at riders on the competing train.

Personally, I HATE the Wildcat. It is an extremely rough ride. I rode it once, came off with a migraine from my head being jerked around so violently, and never got back on again. I probably never will.

Mint, I'll send over a PM about the tickets. If anyone else wants information, PM me! You won't find them cheaper!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter