• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help with Elderly Parent and DAS and DVC

Barbara Lease

JonsMommy
Hello! I am traveling in June 2023 with an elderly parent who has limited mobility and has a hard time walking or standing. I plan on renting an ECV like I did a few years ago with her. Her situation has gotten increasingly worse since 2018 when we last went, so I had a few questions, and I hope someone can help me.

1. DVC rooms - I rented a DVC room at GF through a third party. I like the fact that they have two queen beds; my mom can have one, and I can share one with my daughter. I am curious if they have handicapped accessible DVC rooms at the GF? I know they did at Contemporary when we went last, but I wasn't sure about GF DVC.

2. DAS pass - this is all very confusing for me! So basically, we would pay for her to have a DAS pass? What would happen if we book a ride and she doesn't feel comfortable going on? Then do my kids and I not get a chance to use that DAS pass? Should I get Genie plus in addition to DAS to ensure this doesn't happen?

Any help would be appreciated. This may be the last time my mother can join us, and that is truly breaking my heart. I want her to have the best experience possible! Thanks!

2. DAS pass - this is all very confusing for me! So basically, we would pay for her to have a DAS pass? What would happen if we book a ride and she doesn't feel comfortable going on? Then do my kids and I not get a chance to use that DAS pass? Should I get Genie plus in addition to DAS to ensure this doesn't happen?
I think you may be confusing DAS and Genie+. There is no charge for DAS. It is need-based. If mom’s needs are mobility-related she may not qualify if the ECV solves her needs. DAS is for the person who qualifies - the rest of the party can ride with her but they don’t get to “use” the DAS for themselves to ride without the DAS-holder.

Genie+ is like paid FP. $15 per guest per day. You get your return times each day, not in advance.

There should be HA rooms at every DVC resort. I’ll let someone comment about specifics at VGF.

I have no help for you on the room portion of your query.

As to this, your mom's situation doesn't sound like one that qualifies for DAS. That accomodation is for people who can't wait in lines, even with the assistance of a mobility device.

Your mom will be able to stay in her ECV in nearly all ride lines and, at loading, the CMs will help board her based on her needs. They can slow down/stop the autoloaders, like Peter Pan or Haunted Mansion, so that she can get on despite her trouble walking. They park the ECV strategically to be in the right spot for unloading as well. There are maybe a handful of lines (I'm thinking of Big Thunder) that were not updated to be accessible, so she'll be directed by CMs how to ride those.

If I am missing an added layer here and your mom is unable to wait in lines longer than 20ish minutes, even with the use of the ECV, then you're talking about DAS. In that case, it is a free service where she picks a ride time for herself and her party, you wait "virtually" what your in line wait would have been, and then you use the LL line to enter. She must be riding to use the DAS. If you and the kids want to ride things without her, it's traditional standby or paying for G+/ILL.

If you think your mom's condition would require DAS, there's an excellent thread in this forum with details about how to register, how it works, etc.

I think you may be confusing DAS and Genie+. There is no charge for DAS. It is need-based. If mom’s needs are mobility-related she may not qualify if the ECV solves her needs. DAS is for the person who qualifies - the rest of the party can ride with her but they don’t get to “use” the DAS for themselves to ride without the DAS-holder.

Genie+ is like paid FP. $15 per guest per day. You get your return times each day, not in advance.

There should be HA rooms at every DVC resort. I’ll let someone comment about specifics at VGF.
Very helpful! I wasn't sure. I think Genie Plus is right for us.

I read somewhere that someone said DAS is a paid service, which I would think would be incorrect given that would be a violation of someone's rights under IDEA.

I have no help for you on the room portion of your query.

As to this, your mom's situation doesn't sound like one that qualifies for DAS. That accomodation is for people who can't wait in lines, even with the assistance of a mobility device.

Your mom will be able to stay in her ECV in nearly all ride lines and, at loading, the CMs will help board her based on her needs. They can slow down/stop the autoloaders, like Peter Pan or Haunted Mansion, so that she can get on despite her trouble walking. They park the ECV strategically to be in the right spot for unloading as well. There are maybe a handful of lines (I'm thinking of Big Thunder) that were not updated to be accessible, so she'll be directed by CMs how to ride those.

If I am missing an added layer here and your mom is unable to wait in lines longer than 20ish minutes, even with the use of the ECV, then you're talking about DAS. In that case, it is a free service where she picks a ride time for herself and her party, you wait "virtually" what your in line wait would have been, and then you use the LL line to enter. She must be riding to use the DAS. If you and the kids want to ride things without her, it's traditional standby or paying for G+/ILL.

If you think your mom's condition would require DAS, there's an excellent thread in this forum with details about how to register, how it works, etc.
This is SOOO helpful! I know she won't ride every ride we want to ride, so that is why I think Genie Plus will be best. My concern were rides like Peter Pan where this is a long que and I am pretty sure she can't take her ECV in that line.

This is SOOO helpful! I know she won't ride every ride we want to ride, so that is why I think Genie Plus will be best. My concern were rides like Peter Pan where this is a long que and I am pretty sure she can't take her ECV in that line.
For PP specifically, I know I saw a couple where one of them was in a wheelchair rocking an air cast. They stopped the autoloader for her, pushed the wheelchair right up to the boat, she hobbled on, and they restarted the ride. Same process in reverse for unloading.

Any rides that aren't ECV accessible, the CMs will have an accessible alternative to get you riding. But, you don't need the DAS for that, you just take the ECV into line unless/until a CM directs you elsewhere.

It does sound like G+ is the way to go for your touring plan.

Very helpful! I wasn't sure. I think Genie Plus is right for us.

I read somewhere that someone said DAS is a paid service, which I would think would be incorrect given that would be a violation of someone's rights under IDEA.
Idea is a students right to a free and appropriate public education regardless of disability. It has nothing to do with adults at a theme park. The ADA provides for access to places of public accommodation for those with disabilities.

I am fairly certain GF has dvc rooms that are wheelchair or handicap accessibl however you have to book them. They are a separate category.

I plan on renting an ECV like I did a few years ago with her. Her situation has gotten increasingly worse since 2018 when we last went, so I had a few questions, and I hope someone can help me.
Suggest renting one of the smaller ECVs, far easier to Control

If Mom doesn’t use an ECV often, Make sure to take her to a store to practice a bit to get comfortable before she has to navigate heavy disney crowds.

guests are seriously clueless at times there, i assume blinded by pixie dust :rolleyes1

they often will walk right in front of an ECV. as a novice, when I needed To rent one two years ago, was seriously unprepared for how careful you have to be piloting an ECV In that environment.

For PP specifically, I know I saw a couple where one of them was in a wheelchair rocking an air cast. They stopped the autoloader for her, pushed the wheelchair right up to the boat, she hobbled on, and they restarted the ride. Same process in reverse for unloading.

Any rides that aren't ECV accessible, the CMs will have an accessible alternative to get you riding. But, you don't need the DAS for that, you just take the ECV into line unless/until a CM directs you elsewhere.

It does sound like G+ is the way to go for your touring plan.

While the PP line is ECV accessible, what you saw is actually rare. They generally cannot stop the moving walkway (it's one of the few rides where they cannot). My understanding is that they cannot do it because there are parts of the ride where the boats are suspended in the air and, if the boats stopped, a passenger could try to climb out. Obviously, they can stop in an emergency, but not to let people on. I've seen reports that early morning/late night can sometimes get the walkway stopped (presumably because there aren't other riders on it that my be stopped suspended in the air).

While the PP line is ECV accessible, what you saw is actually rare. They generally cannot stop the moving walkway (it's one of the few rides where they cannot). My understanding is that they cannot do it because there are parts of the ride where the boats are suspended in the air and, if the boats stopped, a passenger could try to climb out. Obviously, they can stop in an emergency, but not to let people on. I've seen reports that early morning/late night can sometimes get the walkway stopped (presumably because there aren't other riders on it that my be stopped suspended in the air).
This was a late night with only a few guests, so that must be why they made this accomodation for the other party.

That does make sense.

And, to be clear, I wasn't doubting your experience (because I know it does happen occasionally), just wanted the OP to realise that it is unlikely.
No, I totally appreciate you calling out that my experience wasn't the norm. Better not to have other people thinking that's an all-the-time option.

DAS simply allows users to wait outside a ride’s regular line. DAS is issued only to those individuals who cannot wait in an attraction’s regular line due to a medical issue. DAS is not usually issued if the “only” challenges faced are mobility or stamina. If an individual’s challenges are constrained to one/both of those issues, CMs usually suggest the use of a wheelchair, ECV, or rollator. You can use Genie+, LL, and DAS together

Accessible rooms are separate categories in DVC, and there are quite a few categories, like hearing accessible and so on. And not all of these overlap with the other categories, like room size and view. It's complicated, because it creates like a dozen room types between all the options. It's very difficult to book these, probably not possible to change them unless you are >7 months out, maybe not possible to book it at all.

It sounds like you are in one of the new VGF "resort" rooms. I consider these accessible with space. But the barn doors to the bathroom could be tough. There is a step in tub/shower, which could be problematic for mobility. You can request a shower seat, and I believe even DVC will be able to scrounge that up. You could easily fit two ECVs in there.

Since it sounds like you are getting one of the VGF resort studios, it wouldn't hurt to ask the owner you're renting from to try getting an accessible room. BPK undoubtedly has a few. This far inside 11 months out, likely not, but certainly doesn't hurt to ask.

If she has difficulty stepping into/out of a tub, ask for a roll-in shower room. There's no edge to step over; you simply walk right in and sit on a sturdy bench to use the handheld or stand as usual. There will also be grab bars around the toilet which can be a big help. Even though DH is walking disabled, he books a roll-in shower room for us because using the shower is so much easier for him. The tub-shower accessible rooms may or may not have a portable shower seat. Oddly, the ones we've had didn't have a built-in bench. The seats are pretty readily available.

There sometimes are grab bars in regular rooms in the tub area, so you might happen to get a resort studio that has some. If not, the GF has some mobility aids like portable grab bars that can fit onto a tub or standard toilet, those hi-rise toilet seats, and definitely shower seats. DVC likely can locate some things if they don't have them in VGF1 or 2. Give housekeeping a call when you get into the room and ask for anything she might need. They'll do their best.

Another possibility is contacting the agency supplying the ECV to ask if they have any such mobility devices for rent or can suggest a source. That way, you'd be assured of having what she needs.

Thank you! Most of you were super helpful. :) I am going to call and see if I can request the roll in shower for my mom. They would be the easiest for her since she can’t get her leg over the tub anymore. :( Have a magical evening!

Last edited:
I am going to call and see if I can request the roll in shower for my mom. They would be the easiest for her since she can’t get her leg over the tub anymore.
Should you rent points again for a trip with her, definitely specify that you'll need a roll-in shower room.

When you're scanning Disney room lists, check "Accessible Rooms" on the toolbar at the top to narrow your search quickly. Look for that exact booking category, Wheelchair Accessible with Roll-in Shower, for non-DVC rooms on room lists. They will typically require booking as much as a year in advance for more than 1-2 nights at the popular times of year.

I hope I've not gotten your hopes up too much, as RoseGold is correct that getting that specific type is likely impossible this close to your arrival.

Last edited:
Don’t know that anyone has mentioned it but the boats between GF and MK cannot accommodate an ECV since they have steps. There is a walking path you can use or the monorail.

Have a great trip!

Usually, Disney has two boats on the route. At least one can accommodate wheeled assistive devices, unless the water level is too off for the dock. Some captains will use passenger weight to lower the edge of the boat a bit,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter