• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help with choosing a DVC resort

firsttimer4

Mouseketeer
Help!! This upcoming trip will be my 7th trip to Disney. We plan to visit February 25th-March 2nd. We usually stay at POP. This time we have decided to rent DVC's. We are having a hard time deciding where and what to request. There is sooo much info out there.
Here's our history. It's me (38), My Nanny (63), My son (13) and my daughter (11). We are going between the Polynesian and AK. We like the Polynesian for the location and access to transportation. AK for the views. If we decide on AK we don't know what/where to request our room. Of course we know we want a savannah view. We currently have a request in at David's DVC and there is a wait for Poly but we were told today we could reserve AK today!

Last edited:
You'll be guaranteed a room at AKL through renting DVC, but it's very difficult to get any room along the monorail line. That being said, AKL is a great resort, as long as you are okay with longer bus travel times to parks; except to Animal Kingdom park of course. AKL is, in my opinion, the resort with the best food options, and of course the savannah views are amazing. People who are a lot more familiar with AKL can give you the best suggestion for a room, but the whole resort is really nice.

AKL is wonderful for a slower paced, more relaxing trip. We just had a very relaxing resort-only weekend there, I love sitting on my balcony watching Giraffes! I personally would not stay at AKL without a savannah view, but that is a preference and many happily would. AKL is not as convenient as the Poly for park transportation if you are someone who likes to rope drop. You didn't mention when you are going, but currently, neither resort has full food offerings and the Poly lacks monorail service until Mid-July.

Poly also is not all one large building like each section of AKL (Jambo/Kidani), so if it rains/is hot and you want to go to the lobby, you'll need to go outside. This doesn't bother me but drives my husband nuts so I figured I would mention it as he is likely not alone in that thinking.

You didn't specify if you will all be sharing a room or not, but if so, Poly has larger studio rooms. Both resorts are great, it just really comes down to what type of experience you are looking for.

I'm not sure when OP is planning to travel.

Currently, the regular hotel rooms in the Jambo House building of AKV have not reopened since the pandemic started. Jiko, Boma and the gift shop have not reopened since the pandemic started. The Mara is open but fewer hours than before the pandemic started.

There has been construction for the regular hotel rooms at Poly as well as at the monorail stop there, but I haven't been following along on that. I believe 'Ohana and Trader Sam's currently are closed.

So timing will make a difference as to what might be open at the hotel and what might not be open at the hotel.

AKL is wonderful for a slower paced, more relaxing trip. We just had a very relaxing resort-only weekend there, I love sitting on my balcony watching Giraffes! I personally would not stay at AKL without a savannah view, but that is a preference and many happily would. AKL is not as convenient as the Poly for park transportation if you are someone who likes to rope drop. You didn't mention when you are going, but currently, neither resort has full food offerings and the Poly lacks monorail service until Mid-July.

Poly also is not all one large building like each section of AKL (Jambo/Kidani), so if it rains/is hot and you want to go to the lobby, you'll need to go outside. This doesn't bother me but drives my husband nuts so I figured I would mention it as he is likely not alone in that thinking.

You didn't specify if you will all be sharing a room or not, but if so, Poly has larger studio rooms. Both resorts are great, it just really comes down to what type of experience you are looking for.

Thanks for the info. I will add those things to my original post. We will be there Feb 25-March 2nd. We will be sharing one room.
I did not realized that about the poly. Which we are so use to POP I don't think that is a deal breaker for us.

I'm not sure when OP is planning to travel.

Currently, the regular hotel rooms in the Jambo House building of AKV have not reopened since the pandemic started. Jiko, Boma and the gift shop have not reopened since the pandemic started. The Mara is open but fewer hours than before the pandemic started.

There has been construction for the regular hotel rooms at Poly as well as at the monorail stop there, but I haven't been following along on that. I believe 'Ohana and Trader Sam's currently are closed.

So timing will make a difference as to what might be open at the hotel and what might not be open at the hotel.

Sorry I went back and added that to my original post. Our travel dates are Feb 25th-March 2nd

I think Kidani's pool will be refurbished during that time. I'm not sure if that makes a difference during that time of year for your family, but my DS swims year around so that would make a difference to me.

Have stayed in studios at both Poly and AKL Kidani. Both are beautifully themed and excellent resorts. With your travel party configuration, I would give the edge to poly for the number of sleep surfaces and two showers.
The AKL studios have a queen bed and a two person sleeper sofa.
The Poly studios have a queen bed, a two person sleeper sofa plus a pull down junior/twin size sleeper. So there’s three sleep surfaces, which could give one of the tween children his/her own bed. The poly has one toilet but two showers and two sinks.

We ended up getting a reservation at Animal kingdom Jamba House. We are excited!!

Congrats! If you haven't been there before, I highly recommend Sanaa and getting the bread service. It's worth staying at AKL just for that alone.

You need to edit your post and delete your dates and chosen resort to avoid getting scammed. Ignore any private messages you get regarding point for rent or reservations for rent. Notify the Webmaster if you get any messages like that.

You need to edit your post and delete your dates and chosen resort to avoid getting scammed. Ignore any private messages you get regarding point for rent or reservations for rent. Notify the Webmaster if you get any messages like that.
Well I haven't gotten any private messages or anyone trying to scam me. I've posted in the DIS since 2013 and thankfully never had anyone try to scam me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter