Help me understand the Chase Disney Visa

studiojmm

Mouseketeer
Well, why use it vs other cards. I get that it has Disney rewards cash back and a bunch of "benefits," but I haven't figured out how this card helps us in particular.

We do a lot of travel and really work the rewards cards and bonuses for flights, primarily. I run a small business and almost all of those expenses go on rewards cards as well as most of our household spending, so that adds up. I can't figure out why I'd use the Chase Disney card instead of a more flexible card.

In fact, I'm not clear why I'm hanging on to it. The only bonus we've used is once we did the character meet Epcot (my profile pic - so we haven't bothered to stand in line for any other Mickey meets). I might do that again in December when my parents are with us. But that's the only thing I can see using again.

We don't tend to buy that much merchandise and almost never spend money in the $50+ increments eligible for discount (try explaining to my pin-trading obsessed 11 yo DD that she has to consolidate her purchases for the trip and be happy with the selection of pins they they have in whatever 1 shop we chose for that). Somehow none of the restaurants we chose in the last two trips even offered the Visa discount . . .

Right now, I'm holding on to it with a small credit limit (locked down now since they kept raising it unnecessarily), but I don't know why.

Thanks for your thoughts.

You can get much better rewards/cash back elsewhere. 1% everywhere converted to Disney reward dollars isn't great. Plus you said you don't often meet the $50 minimum required for merchandise discount and don't eat at the restaurants offering a discount. You're not really getting any benefits from it. I have it too, and I feel meh about it also. I didn't know until after, that we wouldn't be eating at any of the restaurants. I will take it with us on our trip in December, pay it off and likely close it. It may benefit me as I may be booking the Star Wars tour, and hope to purchase a Dooney and Burke (definitely over $50 there).

Otherwise use your other cards for better benefits.

There's really no reason to cancel it since there's no annual fee. There have been increased % offers in the past for spending on certain categories though not recently. You get a discount for shopping at the Disney store online. I only use my card when there's a good financial reason to do so, but I'm still holding onto it especially now that this card is subject to 5/24.

Not sure what you want us to say?
If its not working for you then cancel it.
Personally its the only credit card I have and I enjoy the bit of rewards it gives me.
I'm not one to put every purchase on a credit card so I wouldn't get much in cash back or airmiles so I choose not to have one of those types of rewards cards.

no need to cancel it since it's free to keep....I hold onto my old one just in case I ever use one of the bonus things like % off while shopping....(doesn't happen often) there are other much better cards to get rewards from

I used to use it to book our Disney vacations. There is a 6 month no interest which is helpful if you don't want to worry about it right when you are home. Of course I earned Disney Rewards when I booked which might only be $30-$40 but it was something. I do order from Disney Shopping once or twice a year and use the 10% off if there is nothing better.

Last edited:
I agree with PP the 6 months zero interest on Disney trips is a life saver when you go all the time. I sometimes use the 10% discount and it doesn't always have to be $50. I put everything on my card and use the dollars I earn at Disney. I don't fly so I don't need free airline miles. It's all about what works best for you.

Reactions: kab

Well, why use it vs other cards. I get that it has Disney rewards cash back and a bunch of "benefits," but I haven't figured out how this card helps us in particular.

We do a lot of travel and really work the rewards cards and bonuses for flights, primarily. I run a small business and almost all of those expenses go on rewards cards as well as most of our household spending, so that adds up. I can't figure out why I'd use the Chase Disney card instead of a more flexible card.

In fact, I'm not clear why I'm hanging on to it. The only bonus we've used is once we did the character meet Epcot (my profile pic - so we haven't bothered to stand in line for any other Mickey meets). I might do that again in December when my parents are with us. But that's the only thing I can see using again.

We don't tend to buy that much merchandise and almost never spend money in the $50+ increments eligible for discount (try explaining to my pin-trading obsessed 11 yo DD that she has to consolidate her purchases for the trip and be happy with the selection of pins they they have in whatever 1 shop we chose for that). Somehow none of the restaurants we chose in the last two trips even offered the Visa discount . . .

Right now, I'm holding on to it with a small credit limit (locked down now since they kept raising it unnecessarily), but I don't know why.

Thanks for your thoughts.
You're "doing it right" for you. The Disney Visa is a good card card if:
1) you want your rewards only in Disney
2) you are fine with 1% back (or the annual fee one gives 2% back with a bit more flexibility in that you can redeem for flights)
3) you need that vacation financing option

It's not the card for you as you prefer flexible and higher levels of rewards but some people want the ease of one card and want the rewards locked down on Disney only.

BUT- hang onto it to age your credit history, stick it in a sock drawer and set spend alerts on it so you know if any fraud charges it hit it. No annual fee cards are good for that.

Other than already mentioned benefits above, as recently as 2017 we were able to get some benefits when booking a promo (earlier release date, more availability in dates & rooms, etc) and we also occasionally have rec’d PIN codes, though I’ve come to believe that was more strongly correlated with our zip code & our use of a TA than the card. Anywho, we’ve not used ours much either but I opened it as my first CC ever @ age 18 so it’ll stay tucked away in our safe since it’s a source of credit history at this point.

ETA: we also have used it for discounts on KTTK & similar tours / events AND in 2017 were able to meet BB8, Kylo Ren & a certain Wookie at @ HS visa meet & greet area. Once upon a time there was a special lounge for cardholders at F&W but that’s been done away with for a few years now I think...

My Chase Disney VISA (I have the Premier, so I get 2% back on Disney purchases and also on the designated categories/retailers it applies to) is my main credit card and I use it for nearly everything and pay it off in full every month.

Since we go to Disney yearly, it works out well for us. My husband has a different cash back card issued through our bank that he likes that works out better for his purchases.

If it's not a good fit for you, I'd say use something else.

You need to look at what categories you most spend on. I personally love the Chase Sapphire Reserve card. It has a $450 fee but you get a $300 travel credit and plenty of other benefits like primary car rental insurance, paid TSA Pre-Check and many other things. You earn triple UR points on travel and dining which are my two biggest monthly expenses so it really works for me. Figure out what your biggest monthly expense categories are and look for a card that gives you bonus points for that category. I could go into all the detail of the card but The Points Guy lays it all out in detail. The card isn't for everyone but the flexibility of UR points is huge in my book.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/chase-sapphire-reserve-review/

Since I don't go through Disney directly for park tickets or resort reservations, the only thing I'd use the Disney Rewards Dollars for would be dining and/or shopping. I have had both Disney Visas in the past (regular and Premier), but that was mainly for the sign-up bonuses. They just weren't really worth keeping long-term and I don't like keeping extra cards around (I have 13 active cards as it is...and that's after cleaning house and "streamlining").

I use Chase's UR-earning cards to cover flights (via 1:1 transfer to Southwest), which is my main credit card travel goal. Once that's taken care of, I just shoot for straight cashback. Right now I've got a new Discover It Miles card, which is essentially 3% back on everything since it has the cashback match over the first year. That's going to give me more dining/shopping money in Disney than either of the Disney Visas would yield.

When I looked into it I found the same things. Then I also found out that you can get most of those perks with a Disney Debit card attached to any Chase checking account. That is my Disney account. A portion of each paycheck goes straight there. When it's time to pay for my trip, I put the whole thing on my CSP, then pay that off immediately with the money in that account.

I have the card and haven't used it in years. Since there is no annual fee, I will not bother canceling it. I got the card years ago (way before the premier card existed) and used it for the free meet and greet photo, merchandise discounts, and most importantly 6 months interest free to pay off DVC purchases and Disney cruises. When the premier card came about, I got it for 1 year, with the $200 sign up bonus, and it used it purely to get the 2% & 6 months to pay since we were booking a cruise and doing a DVC add-on during that year. I canceled the premier card after the 1st year and haven't used the regular card since then. Now that there are better reward cards out there, like Chase Sapphire Reserve, I balance my spending on different cards depending on who gives the highest reward.

Every table service restaurant we went to offered the 10% off with our Disney Visa, so it's worth keeping around for that alone. We're not AP or DVC though.

Does anyone know if I buy my APs using my Disney card if that is eligible for the free financing? TIA

Kind of an odd question:
With the dining plan ln at WDW, the table service meals don’t include gratuity...can the Disney rewards points be used at the end of the meal to pay the tip?

Kind of an odd question:
With the dining plan ln at WDW, the table service meals don’t include gratuity...can the Disney rewards points be used at the end of the meal to pay the tip?

Yes. We don't use the DDP, but will often take a Rewards Redemption Card to use for our meals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter