Help me understand how fuel rods work

I was actually debating getting fuel rods because I was worried about forgetting to or not having enough plugs to charge everyone's batteries at night but reading that they don't even do a full charge now I'm glad I passed... my portable battery is plenty small and light weight and does over 2 full charges. This trip I had my wireless headphones with me which are even smaller and lighter and the case can manage several charges.

Heads up, everyone: Per someone pretty trustworthy on IG, DLR will start charging $3 per swap on Nov. 1st. No more free swaps at DLR! This makes my Anker charger look more attractive.

ETA: That same IG blogger is reporting that some people have received refunds for their Fuel Rod starter packages. Email the company to ask about this if you recently purchased a starter package only for the free swaps.

Last edited:

Yeah, photos are being shared that there are now signs on the machines about the 11/1 start of $3 swaps. Bummer.

We haven't really needed the Fuel Rods on our last couple trips anyway as my iPhone XS and DD's XR seem to make it the whole day on a single charge (where our old phones definitely did not). This will probably deter me further from bothering with them...and for me it's less the cost and more the swap will probably take at least 2x as long to complete. I loved that it was so fast to just grab a new one.

Yeah, photos are being shared that there are now signs on the machines about the 11/1 start of $3 swaps. Bummer.

We haven't really needed the Fuel Rods on our last couple trips anyway as my iPhone XS and DD's XR seem to make it the whole day on a single charge (where our old phones definitely did not). This will probably deter me further from bothering with them...and for me it's less the cost and more the swap will probably take at least 2x as long to complete. I loved that it was so fast to just grab a new one.
I never got around to buying one. But knowing they were at the parks just in case I forgot my portable charger was nice. I guess they are still available for emergencies, but I'm just going to make sure I don't forget mine at home.

It appears that starting Nov 1, there is going to be a charge if $3 to swap batteries at the Disneyland Resort; so time to get your own battery that will last all day or bring a couple of smaller ones. I can go through a couple of the FuelRods a day when I visit

Save yourself the extra cost and go buy a power bank for like $20-50 for a solid one that'll charge your phone and that you'll own and not have to rent. I don't know why people rent these things anyway.

Glad I never bought one of these because if I had, right now I’d feel cheated. People that bought them did so with the understanding that they’d be provided fully-charged batteries for free in perpetuity. Feels like they’re going back on that promise. While I’m sure that this is allowed In the conditions of sale. Still, it feels like a cheat.

Glad I never bought one of these because if I had, right now I’d feel cheated. People that bought them did so with the understanding that they’d be provided fully-charged batteries for free in perpetuity. Feels like they’re going back on that promise. While I’m sure that this is allowed In the conditions of sale. Still, it feels like a cheat.
See my post (#83) above, Rob. It is being reported that the company is refunding some customers who contacted them about this.

It looks like they've decided to put the fee on hold for the moment (according to the OC Register). Still, I would be very leery of buying a FuelRod kit at this point. Between the start-up cost and the relatively small size of the battery, I'm not sure it's worth the investment. I wouldn't be surprised to see them try to institute some other system (e.g., stop offering FuelRods in the parks or reduce the number of kiosks and start something like "FuelRod 2.0" which starts with a swapping fee).

They are requiring you to have a reciept from when you purchased the fule rod in order to join the founders program or show proof of when you purchased it. My DD had to go through this plus take a picture of the fuel rod she currently has so, everyond should be aware of this.

They would LIKE you to attach a receipt, but I didn't have one and was not even sure what month I purchased mine, just that it was at an airport. I took a guess at the month (3 years ago), and put the last 4 of a couple CCs that I may have used to purchase it. Plus the pic of the FuelRod itself. I got my approval email today.

My theory is that they are approving pretty much anyone who takes the effort to apply and has a pic of a current FuelRod.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 2.51.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 2.51.14 PM.png
    353.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
They would LIKE you to attach a receipt, but I didn't have one and was not even sure what month I purchased mine, just that it was at an airport. I took a guess at the month (3 years ago), and put the last 4 of a couple CCs that I may have used to purchase it. Plus the pic of the FuelRod itself. I got my approval email today.

My theory is that they are approving pretty much anyone who takes the effort to apply and has a pic of a current FuelRod.
I'm glad to hear this worked out! Hopefully other will report back with similar approvals :)

For those that got the email back from fuel rod. Did the address say fuel rod? Don't want to delete an email because the company name is something I never heard of.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter