Help me understand how fuel rods work

You have to be aware that they don’t have a big capacity... so 1 fuel rod won’t fully charge your phone! That’s something to keep in mind!
You really have to keep swapping them the whole day...

But if you wanna travel as light as possible they are a nice option...

You have to be aware that they don’t have a big capacity... so 1 fuel rod won’t fully charge your phone! That’s something to keep in mind!
You really have to keep swapping them the whole day...

But if you wanna travel as light as possible they are a nice option...

Right - we got one last week at WDW at Space Mountain, I looked at the labeling on the end and it said the capacity is 2,800 mAh - don't know if it's the same capacity for all of them but that's what ours said.

We just recharged it each night at the hotel along with our phones, and so we started fresh and didn't need to visit a machine to swap out but could if needed...

If you charge your phones overnight and then charge them again for 2-4 hours during an afternoon break, do you still find the fuel rods to be necessary?

I’m thinking of getting one, but only if needed. I have an iPhone XR, which seems to hold a charge slightly better than my previous one, the 6 plus. I do use my phone frequently at the parks to access the DL app/MaxPass and to take photos.

Should I go ahead and spring for the fuel rod ahead of time or just purchase one from a kiosk if the need arises?

If you charge your phones overnight and then charge them again for 2-4 hours during an afternoon break, do you still find the fuel rods to be necessary?

I’m thinking of getting one, but only if needed. I have an iPhone XR, which seems to hold a charge slightly better than my previous one, the 6 plus. I do use my phone frequently at the parks to access the DL app/MaxPass and to take photos.

Should I go ahead and spring for the fuel rod ahead of time or just purchase one from a kiosk if the need arises?
I've got this same question. Last summer I was going to get one but didn't and found that charging back at the hotel in the middle of the day was enough. It was the first time we used MaxPass and I think this time we'll get even more use out of that, so wondering if maybe I will want a fuel rod this time...

I have an iPhone 8 plus and I did not need the portable charger we brought with us on our March trip. This was even using MaxPass a lot - but I always kept my phone on "low power mode" and it really lasted well. We usually take a few hour break in the afternoons and I'd give it a little boost during that time but even without doing that I think I'd of been fine. We still brought the charger with us but my kids also have phones so they could have always helped me out had mine died.

I've got this same question. Last summer I was going to get one but didn't and found that charging back at the hotel in the middle of the day was enough. It was the first time we used MaxPass and I think this time we'll get even more use out of that, so wondering if maybe I will want a fuel rod this time...
An external charger similar in quality to these can be purchased just about anywhere (I got mine at Walmart) for around $5. So, if you'll be back at the hotel and you don't necessarily need the convenience of exchanging in the park, prepurchasing somewhere else might be a cheaper option. My family has 3 or 4 of these that we just swap out at the hotel, so we always have a couple fully charged and ready.

We have a couple of heavy duty external batteries because hubby and I both play AR games frequently (Ingress, Pokemon Go), but the idea of having something lighter weight and that can be exchanged for free in the park sounds intriguing. Why have I not heard of this before?!

You and I are in the same boat. I used my friend’s fuel rod when I had a 6 plus and it didn’t charge much unless I quit using it. It was hard when I was checking for fast passes and wait times. I now have the iPhone XR and when I used it all day it never died or got super low. It got to about 45%.

f you charge your phones overnight and then charge them again for 2-4 hours during an afternoon break, do you still find the fuel rods to be necessary?

I have the iphone X and used it from the moment we entered to get MP for 12 people mange those through out the day and check wait times and take pictures etc. I did have a portable charger but didn't really use it. We would usually go back to the hotel around 1 or 2pm and I would just charge it there. I think i used the portable charger once while at dinner because i had not fully charged it the night before.
I have an Anker portable charger that cost under $20 on amazon.

I have the iphone X and used it from the moment we entered to get MP for 12 people mange those through out the day and check wait times and take pictures etc. I did have a portable charger but didn't really use it. We would usually go back to the hotel around 1 or 2pm and I would just charge it there. I think i used the portable charger once while at dinner because i had not fully charged it the night before.
I have an Anker portable charger that cost under $20 on amazon.
I also have an iPhone X, and the battery lasts forever! I am basically on my phone constantly at the parks - in addition to Maxpass/mobile order, I am always taking photos/videos, and I also play Pokémon Go (which EATS battery). With the X, I was there for 14 hours recently and only used two portable chargers all day.

If you charge your phones overnight and then charge them again for 2-4 hours during an afternoon break, do you still find the fuel rods to be necessary?..
We usually charge our phones overnight and again during an afternoon break, e.g. TS meal or a rest at the hotel, so the phones last all day. We also try to divide the load -- DH is in charge of MP and I'm in charge of PP and videos -- that way no one's phone is being drained all the time. But we have Anker portable chargers that are in the backpack every trip, just in case. We have had to use them when we've struck PP gold -- some days, the characters are out in force and you just have to go for it every time the opportunity arises. Or when DH gets calls from work while we're in the parks. That puts the MP and PP load on my phone, so both our batteries drain more than usual. Having the portable chargers means one less thing to worry about.

I would recommend getting a portable charger that can fast charge. That means you can go from say 15% to 75% in almost half the time as a standard portable charger (fuel rods). Most of us have Android Phones/iPhones that can fast charge when we plug it into the wall so having that same capability at the park is extremely helpful. Might cost an extra $15 but its worth it. You can find them on amazon for around $30.

I also recommend to go for the portable chargers. They will charge your phones faster than anything else. It's my personal experience.

Here are the basics:
  • You buy it, it is yours to keep
  • It comes with a very short cord and adapters for most phones
  • It can be used to charge any device that can be charged with a USB cable
  • You can swap them out at any kiosk for a fully charged one. (Some locations outside of Disney parks do charge for a swap, but you can get some free swaps at these locations by downloading the Fuelrod app and using it)
  • You can also charge the fuel rod by plugging it into a wall adapter like you would any other power bank
  • If there is ever a problem, I have found customer service to be extremely helpful.

Since you really shouldn't do that for the health of your phones battery, I would say get one and charge once your battery is down to 15% or so.

I also recommend to go for the portable chargers. They will charge your phones faster than anything else. It's my personal experience.
They may indeed do so, but at a cost to the long term health of your phones battery and they are usually bulkier and heavier than the fuel rod, plus once they run out of charge, you have no way to recharge them while in the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter